• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Nordicus

But that looks so much better than the thing I posted. If they just took that and gave it the black coloring because fuck it? That would be 1000% improved.
Mind you, the black coloring is there for a reason, and you might not know that since you've not read it since impel Down.

Luffy using one of the generic, non-devilfruit "Haki" powers, which hardens his body to be as strong as steel and allows him to hit even some of the super overpowered devilfruit users that can transform their whole bodies into some element. It also turns the skin black. Luffy uses it a lot post-timeskip, and lo and behold, his Gear 4th uses it as well.

I understand the anime apparently tanked the art, but even the manga doesn't look very good from what snippets I've seen.
Okay, here's the thing. You can argue art style, but art quality in One Piece manga is solid at the very least, especially when compared to Naruto and Bleach. These might not be the most difficult competition, but remember, "Big Three", all of them wrote weekly chapters at the same time for years.

In any given page, Oda does not take shortcuts or skip details even when the panels get really tiny or really busy (sometimes to his detriment even). He'll do the shading with appropriate hatching, will draw the patterns on clothes, give proper structure and texture to all the enemies in the picture, keep the designs consistent, and won't just draw a pure white background or speedline panels nearly as often as the other two.

Comparing the art of the last 100 chapters of the Big Three shows the difference very clearly. Kishimoto abuses speed line panels and character proportions will change until you might think it's a different artist. And I do not know whether it's due to the shortcuts or in spite of them, a lot of the fight scenes in Naruto are just incomprehensible.
Kubo has everyone fighting in a featureless desert, gives everyone simple black&white costumes because those are easy to draw and color. On top of that, he'll draw constant close-up shots of people just standing and talking to each other on said desert.

It just feels weird to complain about it being a thing now (and going it used to be so good) when it's basically an evolution of this which happened 9 years ago.

Luffy's powers have always been ridiculous and the way he puts them into practice has always been ridiculous looking. He has a fucking move where he flies around by spinning his legs and he calls it Gum Gum UFO, for crying out loud. Or just making giant fists, turning his body into a balloon, etc. I won't disagree that the form looks silly but I hardly think it looks outright bad or is ill-fitting with the series. Plus it's just going for that Kabuki-esque look as well.

The problem is that it doesn't look "silly" in the light-hearted, goofy sense people usually mean when they're talking about Luffy.

It just looks like shit instead.

Meffer

But that looks so much better than the thing I posted. If they just took that and gave it the black coloring because fuck it? That would be 1000% improved.

His limbs are black because he's using Haki, which allows a person to harden their body and also hurt Logia-Devil Fruit Users.

I've really grown to like how One Piece's character designs are all over the place. You can really tell that Oda is having fun with his character designs. You never know what the next set of characters will end up looking like. The only legit knock I'd give his art is that sometimes there's simply too much going on on a page. Like his pages are dense with characters and set pieces and details, it's easy for your eye to get lost.

All that said it's a great series and the fact is that when you read it you end up caring about these goofy looking characters. I mean he tackles heavy themes, like slavery, with this utterly goofy looking world

His limbs are black because he's using Haki, which allows a person to harden their body and also hurt Logia-Devil Fruit Users.

It should be made clear that Logia Users are people who would otherwise be intangible in their form. Like Lava Guy or Smoke Dude.

Haki lets you punch them while they're lava, or smoke, or lightning, etc.

Matsukaze

In any given page, Oda does not take shortcuts or skip details even when the panels get really tiny or really busy (sometimes to his detriment even). He'll do the shading with appropriate hatching, will draw the patterns on clothes, give proper structure and texture to all the enemies in the picture, keep the designs consistent, and won't just draw a pure white background or speedline panels nearly as often as the other two.

Comparing the art of the last 100 chapters of the Big Three shows the difference very clearly. Kishimoto abuses speed line panels and character proportions will change until you might think it's a different artist. And I do not know whether it's due to the shortcuts or in spite of them, a lot of the fight scenes in Naruto are just incomprehensible.
Kubo has everyone fighting in a featureless desert, gives everyone simple black&white costumes because those are easy to draw and color. On top of that, he'll draw constant close-up shots of people just standing and talking to each other on said desert.
Oh, I'm not trying to give the guy shit (even if I don't care for his manga). I mean, I couldn't draw to save my life, and I wholly appreciate dedication to one's craft. I've seen enough of his style, though, to know it isn't my cup of tea, regardless of his technical ability.

Speaking of Anime...Toonami just announced they're doing Seasons 2 and 3 of FLCL

what.
As I said in the OT thread, FLCL is one of my favorite anime series of all time, so I am dreading what might be in store. Part of the reason I love it so much is because they said what they needed to say in six episodes. The idea of adding two new seasons to the mix just makes me go "But why?". That being said, if they pull it off, I will shout their praise to the high heavens.

Duplolas

Banned
Was watching the newest episode of the Twilight Princess playthrough. Woolie made me look up the wiki for dowsing rods.

It is totally fake as I thought, but what made make this post was the wiki picture they have of guy using a dowsing rod.

18th_century_dowser.jpg

He just looks so confused. What's going through his mind right now is, "Am I using this right?" lol

demidar

One Piece is amazing, not because it's quality is great (though it is much better than the other two), but because it was able to main a relatively high quality throughout its 15+ year run, and its ability to not only have such a large and expansive cast or primary, secondary, tertiary and background characters, but to have them all continue to be relevant, even if they are off panel in an entirely different part of the world. It's worldbuilding is amazing, and Oda has continued to build that since the very beginning with very little contradictions.

If there's one downside to One Piece, it's that the female characters don't have the same breadth and variety of designs as male characters.

Skrams

Rule #1 of community threads

Never read the backlog. It's just gonna disappoint you.
Yeah, like that one post about the guy saying Ocarina of Time sucks and had a long intro when you get to your first dungeon in 20 minutes. That guy is a shit.

I don't actually want to make a long argument about this or extrapolation if you don't feel like it.
One Piece is amazing, not because it's quality is great (though it is much better than the other two), but because it was able to main a relatively high quality throughout its 15+ year run, and its ability to not only have such a large and expansive cast or primary, secondary, tertiary and background characters, but to have them all continue to be relevant, even if they are off panel in an entirely different part of the world. It's worldbuilding is amazing, and Oda has continued to build that since the very beginning with very little contradictions.

If there's one downside to One Piece, it's that the female characters don't have the same breadth and variety of designs as male characters.

I like the part where I heard Oda doesn't have much sex with his wife, so he gets some of his urges out through drawing big breasts. I might of been lied to though.

Yeah, like that one post about the guy saying Ocarina of Time sucks and had a long intro when you get to your first dungeon in 20 minutes. That guy is a shit.

I don't actually want to make a long argument about this or extrapolation if you don't feel like it.

Or right, I forgot I posted that lol. I actually meant the entire time you're a child as being the intro since the game doesn't actually start (or at least start being interesting) till the forest dungeon.

I've said my piece before on OoT already tho. I care about the game so little to really get into a discussion about it.

Abysmal text speed and unskippable annoying cutscenes, followed by what is basically a fetchquest for rupees and the sword.

But, it's pretty much only gotten worse with every 3D Zelda. Majora has a pretty brisk opening that is greatly helped by all the crazy shit that happens, but Wind Waker takes forever even if it lays the plot and characters out (especially the unskippable crawl about the legend of the hero of time), TP is aggressive as fuck about how long it takes, and Skyward Sword is straight up ridiculous.

If you want good reviews of 3D Zelda games, matthewmatosis' opinions in his reviews are really interesting.

Skrams

Or right, I forgot I posted that lol. I actually meant the entire time you're a child as being the intro since the game doesn't actually start (or at least start being interesting) till the forest dungeon.

I've said my piece before on OoT already tho. I care about the game so little to really get into a discussion about it.
I don't really consider 3+ dungeons to still be the intro, but that's just me.
Abysmal text speed and unskippable annoying cutscenes, followed by what is basically a fetchquest for rupees and the sword.

But, it's pretty much only gotten worse with every 3D Zelda. Majora has a pretty brisk opening that is greatly helped by all the crazy shit that happens, but Wind Waker takes forever even if it lays the plot and characters out (especially the unskippable crawl about the legend of the hero of time), TP is aggressive as fuck about how long it takes, and Skyward Sword is straight up ridiculous.

If you want good reviews of 3D Zelda games, matthewmatosis' opinions in his reviews are really interesting.

I don't know if you mean for replayability or what. Text is faster for OoT 3D if you care and the sword and shield take less than 10 minutes of work. I think it's a fine way to acclimate considering it was the first 3D Zelda where a few people had to get use to the movements. Also yeah, when I didn't have a memory card for a while the intro to wind waker was my bane.

Just been listening to the recent podacast and pat talking about the factions in the division is giving some serious spec ops vibe to it without ubisoft knowing, making me so tempted to buy it

Wow. Pat was dead on with his PS4K talk on the podcast. The man is our prophet

Just been listening to the recent podacast and pat talking about the factions in the division is giving some serious spec ops vibe to it without ubisoft knowing, making me so tempted to buy it

I doubt it. In Spec Ops your team reacts to the atrocities they commit. In Division it sounds like typical Ubisoft writing, like Aiden Pierce talking about how he hates the people that murdered his niece and then gunning down 15 year olds. I believe the term is "ludo-narrative dissonance"

Nordicus

just want some more spec ops, is that too much to ask
*A finger bends on monkey's paw*

Rise of the Spec Ops is announced. Captain Walker goes on a rampage killing hundreds of people after he finds out his father has been killed. There will be no pay-off for the horrors you cause

*A finger bends on monkey's paw*

Rise of the Spec Ops is announced. Captain Walker goes on a rampage killing hundreds of people after he finds out his father has been killed. There will be no pay-off for the horrors you cause

You joke but I kinda want that,

Spec Ops: Aftermath, Captain Walker Jr. discovers that his father is alive in Dubai and has to find out what happened to him, soon to learn the horrors of his father's deeds

that one's free Jager studios, if you're still working on a sequel

I don't know if you mean for replayability or what. Text is faster for OoT 3D if you care and the sword and shield take less than 10 minutes of work. I think it's a fine way to acclimate considering it was the first 3D Zelda where a few people had to get use to the movements. Also yeah, when I didn't have a memory card for a while the intro to wind waker was my bane.
I mean it's not too awful, and if you know where the stuff is already, then it speeds it up considerably, if anything grinds my gears it's just that it gets teadily worse as the series goes on.

The Patman v. Superman podcast can't come soon enough!

Let the hate flow!

I expect that it's going to be Matt and Woolie lamenting that Batman v Superman sucks, with Pat saying, "Of course it sucks, Superman sucks" and then just a rehash of the same old arguments. Despite this, I hold out hope that it just becomes a hate-in for Eisenberg's garbage performance and Snyder's complete inability to grasp the content.

I mean, I need to get some entertainment value out of this movie beyond the Sad Affleck gif.

Top Bottom