• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Superman's lip starts quivering after getting a splinter in his thumb and needs Brucey to come and kiss it to make it feel better

I'd be more excited to watch that than Bat v Supes.

But seriously, was anyone actually excited for that movie? Was anyone actually expecting anything better than mediocrity?

Skrams

What was he saying?

It's in relation to the recent MGS thing with David Hayter still feeling betrayed and Kurt Russel and all that.

Pat saying things like David Hayter shouldn't be so attached to a role that is not cemented to be his since he's a voice actor. It's not his character and it can be taken away from him at any time because he's a voice actor who doesn't own the rights. He shouldn't get attached unless he's actually that character like a regular actor in a movie.

So voice actors aren't actors or something and shouldn't be attached to their characters. This is coming from the guy super attached to Guy Cihi as James Sunderland and also from the same podcast where Takahata had to talk about almost this exact thing of voice actors being actors on the magfest podcast. Maybe if Pat was on that one then he wouldn't have this tune.

Also Pat really latching onto the Hayter not wanting to play through 60 hours of shame with MGS5 comment. Why feel shame and all that.

MrHoot

I think it's been fairly established for a while that Pat tends to conveniently forget stuff to push his point forward when it doesn't pertain towards his own interest :p

Siegcram

The worst part is you can hear himself realizing how his arguments are falling apart and still doubling down.

Should've backed down.

I actually kind of agree with Pat.

I mean, Hayter was clearly to attached to Snake, and that's fine, but he didn't own Snake.

Other people could have voiced Snake just as well as Hayter did.

Fans however grew attached to Hayter over time, and still can only kind of imagine Snake being voiced by him.

Edzi

It's in relation to the recent MGS thing with David Hayter still feeling betrayed and Kurt Russel and all that.

Pat saying things like David Hayter shouldn't be so attached to a role that is not cemented to be his since he's a voice actor. It's not his character and it can be taken away from him at any time because he's a voice actor who doesn't own the rights. He shouldn't get attached unless he's actually that character like a regular actor in a movie.

So voice actors aren't actors or something and shouldn't be attached to their characters. This is coming from the guy super attached to Guy Cihi as James Sunderland and also from the same podcast where Takahata had to talk about almost this exact thing of voice actors being actors on the magfest podcast. Maybe if Pat was on that one then he wouldn't have this tune.

Also Pat really latching onto the Hayter not wanting to play through 60 hours of shame with MGS5 comment. Why feel shame and all that.

Ugh. Not only is he flat out wrong, but his weird apathy toward Hayter just rubs me the wrong way as a MGS fan. Sounds like he just wants to be contrarian for the hell of it, since I don't understand how he has trouble seeing why someone would be attached to their role, especially when its something like being Snake/BB for all these years.

Sylas

Ugh. Not only is he flat out wrong, but his weird apathy toward Hayter just rubs me the wrong way as a MGS fan.

I mean, the thing with Hayter and Snake is that Snake is being portrayed at different points in his life. You recast an actor to play different iterations of a character, especially if they're going to be aging to the degree Snake did between 2 and 4. I can get on board with Hayter playing Snake in MGS1 and 2 with absolutely no problems, but him having to actively audition for Naked Snake in MGS3 makes perfect sense.

Naked Snake/Big Boss isn't Solid Snake and the fact that they sound precisely alike--even though Solidus was the "perfect" clone of the three never made much sense to me. The fact that they got Sutherland for 5 worked fine for me, because Venom Snake/Big Boss aren't Solid Snake. Hayter is Solid Snake in my mind, not All Snakes.

Edzi

I mean, the thing with Hayter and Snake is that Snake is being portrayed at different points in his life. You recast an actor to play different iterations of a character, especially if they're going to be aging to the degree Snake did between 2 and 4. I can get on board with Hayter playing Snake in MGS1 and 2 with absolutely no problems, but him having to actively audition for Naked Snake in MGS3 makes perfect sense.

Naked Snake/Big Boss isn't Solid Snake and the fact that they sound precisely alike--even though Solidus was the "perfect" clone of the three never made much sense to me. The fact that they got Sutherland for 5 worked fine for me, because Venom Snake/Big Boss aren't Solid Snake. Hayter is Solid Snake in my mind, not All Snakes.

Eh, makes sense to me for him to voice all the main character Snakes. His Japanese VA has always been the same, which is what should dictate the character VA. In fact, I'm pretty sure his Japanese VA also played Solidus, so if anything was a mistake it was changing that detail in the English version.

But even if you think that was a bad call, the fact remains that he WAS Solid Snake, and he WAS Naked Snake/Big Boss. It's too late to change that for most of the fanbase as well as for Hayter.

joe2187

Banned
Once again the podcast is always missing the best news, they just announced this megaton

CevA-QfXIAUIlD6.jpg

Hayter was given the opportunity of a lifetime in voicing Snake for the majority of the Metal Gear Solid games.

Woolie seems to think emotions can't be wrong. They can definitely be misguided.

Hayter should be grateful for what he got to do rather than ruminating on not being able to voice one Snake in one game, where he barely says any lines.

Pat is being straight up insufferable with the voice actor stuff. like he's creating this absurd qualifier to judge the validity of Hayter's feelings? It's really bizarre.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't get what's with this idea that VAs are more disassociated with their characters than 'real actors' should be. A lot of VAs really identify and love their roles, and really feel grateful to be them, and while I wasn't especially in love with Hayter's performance in the later MGS games, for a huge portion of people (including him) he was the character for more than a decade. It was his defining role. He should absolutely feel like he should. Saying that 'the character is owned by someone else' is totally irrelevant. They're always owned by someone else, being a 'real actor' (and voice actors are every bit as real) doesn't somehow change the fact that at the end of the day you can trace back a nebulous concept of 'ownership' back to a piece of paper.

Neol

Yea love the opening.

Its honestly just sad if you really think about it since Its clear that Tomoko will never improve.

hupla

I think what made the VA talk really hard is that looking back at it i understand what Pat means that Hayter SHOULDNT be embarrassed playing MGSV, like when someone messes up something out of their control you tell them "dont feel bad" but like emotions arent something that are logical and if thats how Hayter feels thats how he feels and its also really not surprising he'd feel that way. Like I cant even go back to a restaurant i used to serve at that i left of my own will just because i feel bad being in there some people react differently to different things and its not an issue of Hayter feeling he owns the snake character

Do any of the guys talk about Dark Souls 3 this week in any more depth than "I played it and it's good"? Cause I'm pretty much trying to avoid any info and will probably just wait until it's out to listen to these next few podcasts if it's being discussed.

They dont talk about it at all really
Thanks for the answer.

hupla

Do any of the guys talk about Dark Souls 3 this week in any more depth than "I played it and it's good"? Cause I'm pretty much trying to avoid any info and will probably just wait until it's out to listen to these next few podcasts if it's being discussed.

They dont talk about it at all really

I don't get what's with this idea that VAs are more disassociated with their characters than 'real actors' should be. A lot of VAs really identify and love their roles, and really feel grateful to be them, and while I wasn't especially in love with Hayter's performance in the later MGS games, for a huge portion of people (including him) he was the character for more than a decade.
It's because people assume that the VAs have virtually no input on anything and just read off the lines from the page, and that's only really true in anime and game dubbing. When it comes to cartoons, the VAs can actually do stuff like write episodes and give feedback to the writers, which gets them more involved in the process.

Anung

Un Rama
The worst part is you can hear himself realizing how his arguments are falling apart and still doubling down.

Should've backed down.

Yeah, he was doing that thing he does sometimes in arguments where he takes an opinion to a farcical extreme because reasons. He really should have back peddled the second Guy Cihi's name was brought up. He was talking total nonsense.

I think Hayter has the right to feel upset or humiliated. He's clearly attached to the character, he played the character in like 5 games over a total amount of years and for better or worse had become synonymous with Solid Snake. I think the humiliation part ties more into the fact that they didn't even give him a phone call or one-to-one. Do they need to do that for him? not really but it wouldn't hurt to show a little bit of respect considering his history. Then again Konami and treating voice actors like shit is par the course.

This could be the case for any voice actor, say Nolan North and Nathan Drake, Sean Schemmel and Goku etc etc. Just because he didn't write the character or wasn't used as inspiration doesn't mean they can't be attached to the work. Thinking otherwise is totally baffling to me and pretty disrespectful considering the amounts of ties Pat has into this world through his work. Like I said it seems he was just being adversarial for the sake of it.

I liked the Batman V. Supes shitting. God that movie sounds like a train-wreck. I'm really torn between seeing it just to see it first hand and not wanting to support Zach Synder with my money. Unlike Pat I actually like Superman and want to see him done justice.

Good podcast though apart from the VO cringe-fest :D

Moonlight

Banned
It's because people assume that the VAs have virtually no input on anything and just read off the lines from the page, and that's only really true in anime and game dubbing. When it comes to cartoons, the VAs can actually do stuff like write episodes and give feedback to the writers, which gets them more involved in the process.
Even in anime and game dubbing, VAs often stick with their characters for a long time, associate with them, and often do put their own flavour on their takes. It's true that dubs and the like are more controlled environments, but it's weird to see VAs as some sort of exchangeable moving part in the process instead of a person acting as a character.

Even in anime and game dubbing, VAs often stick with their characters for a long time, associate with them, and often do put their own flavour on their takes. It's true that dubs and the like are more controlled environments, but it's weird to see VAs as some sort of exchangeable moving part in the process instead of a person acting as a character.
With anime, I think the fact that most anime shows are one-and-dones now instead of long running shows makes people think that VAs don't get as invested in the roles anymore, because there aren't a lot of roles people come back to outside of certain franchises.

Dunno about why it happens with gaming, but it might be because some people don't care about the non-gameplay side unless it's ultra noticeable.

Oh hey, secret stream tonight: https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/714907309663772673
Might want to check out the official Super Best Friends Play twitch channel tonight...SHHHHHHHHHH

Siegcram

Liam Allen-Miller ‏@2BFLiam 7s7 seconds ago

The journalistic process is severely misrepresented in this film, according to girlfriend who is journalist.
She should watch The Flash. Makes Morpheus and Ms. Lane look like a regular Woodward and Bernstein.

Skrams

Once again the podcast is always missing the best news, they just announced this megaton
Is this the sequel to WWE Crush Hour?
Hayter was given the opportunity of a lifetime in voicing Snake for the majority of the Metal Gear Solid games.

Woolie seems to think emotions can't be wrong. They can definitely be misguided.

Hayter should be grateful for what he got to do rather than ruminating on not being able to voice one Snake in one game, where he barely says any lines.
Grateful feels like the wrong word to use in this context for a job that pays him money.
Surprised he picked that up out of the blue. Shit is made for people like Pat. The show hurts my soul so good and so bad.

Skrams

Then so does humiliation

I guess? I think the word humiliation is a bit strong and I don't know if anyone feels embarrassed for Hayter besides himself. A small minority probably.

I mostly just thought grateful was a weird word to use when the reason he got the job was because he was the best audition at the time. Grateful for doing his best, getting a job, and then subsequently voicing Solid Snake and Big Boss for years like how it should work.

Still a bit weird like Edzi mentioned that they would change the VA now when Akio Otsuka voiced Snake and Big Boss with no changes.

HGH

Banned

Neol

She does improve, though...

Not really.

There's some glimpses of hope here and there but in the end she still gets destroyed by her crippling social anxiety. Don't read the manga but from what I've heard she's still in a pretty bad state with little hope for improvement.

I don't have a vessel account but I was able to watch it on there last night. might want to check that out.

ive been able to watch 2 videos per day the day before their out
the only one i wont watch a day before will be Dark Souls 3 LP part one for obvious reasons
gotta get far enough first in my own to not give a damn

Frimaire

Not really.

There's some glimpses of hope here and there but in the end she still gets destroyed by her crippling social anxiety. Don't read the manga but from what I've heard she's still in a pretty bad state with little hope for improvement.

I mean, I guess it would depend on what you consider improvement.
From as far as I have read, she does at least have some "friends" other than Yuu, even if they also kinda hate her.

Top Bottom