• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Jintor

also i'm sad that watamote is purely a 'roll around in my horribleness' manga and not a 'life gradually improves' manga

i think the worst part about watamote is that she's, like, got the self-hating thing down completely but also the 'push the blame onto others' thing down super completely.

daevious

also i'm sad that watamote is purely a 'roll around in my horribleness' manga and not a 'life gradually improves' manga

i think the worst part about watamote is that she's, like, got the self-hating thing down completely but also the 'push the blame onto others' thing down super completely.

There is a level of 'life gradually improves' to Watamote, it's just so microscopic you have to squint to notice it.

ZoddGutts

I don't get what's with this idea that VAs are more disassociated with their characters than 'real actors' should be. A lot of VAs really identify and love their roles, and really feel grateful to be them, and while I wasn't especially in love with Hayter's performance in the later MGS games, for a huge portion of people (including him) he was the character for more than a decade. It was his defining role. He should absolutely feel like he should. Saying that 'the character is owned by someone else' is totally irrelevant. They're always owned by someone else, being a 'real actor' (and voice actors are every bit as real) doesn't somehow change the fact that at the end of the day you can trace back a nebulous concept of 'ownership' back to a piece of paper.

I wonder if he would say the same thing with the Cowboy Bebop Eng VA's, from I remember from that rant he said it's fine for the Japanese VA to be attach to the characters since it was originally made for them? but not for the dub actors in other countries. Which was an odd point to make when he's already saying that VA's shouldn't be attach/identify with the characters that they played, even if they played that role for many years, that was contrary of him to say that. The whole ownership angle he took made things even more head scratching.

The worst part is you can hear himself realizing how his arguments are falling apart and still doubling down.

Should've backed down.

Made the whole thing head inducing. heh

I wonder if he would say the same thing with the Cowboy Bebop Eng VA's, from I remember from that rant he said it's fine for the Japanese VA to be attach to the characters since it was originally made for them? but not for the dub actors in other countries

No, he basically said no voice actors should be attached to a character because there's always going to be someone else playing the character in other, localized versions.

Honestly, it's barely worth discussing. He obviously realized he was being obstinate about it and should have conceded by his comment going into Letter Time.

It's also worth noting this is all about how someone should feel and Pat is an avowed pragmatist. In other words, he was never in the first place talking about the way it would be normal for a person to feel or socially acceptable for them to feel, but rather they way Pat thinks they should feel. He seems to be fully aware that there's a considerable disconnect between those three things.

Like, I imagine Pat would tell you that you shouldn't want to have kids. He obviously realizes it is normal and socially acceptable to want to have kids. That's not the sentiment being expressed.

BossRush

So listening to Pat in the podcast, I really hope he frequents this thread still, and if not I hope one of you can tell him that there's a pretty alright Jojo fan RPG that has what he's looking for called Jojo's bizarre adventure: the 7th stand user

http://youtu.be/G_g8zx5XqRI

There was literally nothing, nothing redemptive about Vic. How is the audience supposed to be expected to feel anything other than hatred toward him?

Nordicus

Even his compliments are caked with nasty implications. When he was praising Yvette, he still implied that he might have gotten Yvette to cheat on Rage if he was some big rapper superstar. Fuck off you scum, she didn't bang you just because she's picky with her men

mmk watched the movie
Batman beat the shit outta Superman so Pat was right
liking Batfleck cause he just dont give a fuck
Lex was batshit insane
Doomsday was pretty faithful actually
minus being Zod back from the dead
bottom line
story was all over the place(too many things at once)
everything else was fine

There was literally nothing, nothing redemptive about Vic. How is the audience supposed to be expected to feel anything other than hatred toward him?

There isn't, but if you know a guy who is like Vic it's supposed to make you think about that guy. A Spike Lee joint is a story of references so you can fill in the blanks of his work.

HGH

Banned
I know a guy like Vic. Personal/family problems, lead to bad behavior and ultimately crime, etc etc...
That guy is in jail now, making the rest of his family suffer. I have even less sympathy as a result. At the very least Spike Lee had the decency to kill off Vic with no one truly missing him.

Why are we talking about the worst character when we could be talking about the best stereotype, Fettuccine Revolution (good nicknaming by Liam there) himself? That guy improved any scene he was in. Seriously him not turning out to be a scumbag personal manager and the actor's amusing performance really made for an entertaining character.

Weird seeing Livin' da Dream being somewhat too short (cause I want to see some David Cage game length worth of the story) but it would have dragged on for a little too long.

Vic is truly irredeemable but it was all worth it for the Rage ether and pop-off, so it wasn't a total waste. Dom was probably the MVP of the story, also Freq/Rage is pretty cool I guess.

Listening to Pat on voice acting and people's personal emotions

lfL0UvH.gif

Yeah, Spike Lee's story for Livin' Da Dream is so full of shitty implications about the way he thinks black guys should act that it's kind of amazing that he actually killed off Vic and had no one give a shit about it.

That said, Vic's ghost monologue was really shitty, and so was Spike's slow dolly trip through the mocap studio. At least Fettucini Revolution turned out to be the breakout star of this LP, even though he got hit by the Spike Lee "competent, pragmatic counsel" mute button that Cee-Cee and Team Owner got.

Was anyone else thrown by the font they did the number for the thumbnail for the Final Livin' Da Dream episode? I thought it said 18 and looked for the 8 episodes I had somehow missed.

Nordicus

Listening to Vic's monologue a second time and now noticed something that I didn't pay attention to the first time.

He admitted he wanted to bone Freq's mother!

The only revelation left to make there would have been for Vic to say that he reeeeeeally wanted to murder Freq's dad. Fuck, he probably did!

EndMerit

So Vic had a father who, while not complete dirtbag, apparently wasn't all that supportive either, and an angel of a mother who died when vic was young. Vic then got taken in by Freq's family, but despite them giving all the love, care and support he could ask for, the moment Freq started gaining any fame and wealth was when Vic started trying to leech as much of it as he could, even being willing to blackmail Freq and ruin his life.

Vic's basically Dio.

So Vic had a father who, while not complete dirtbag, apparently wasn't all that supportive either, and an angel of a mother who died when vic was young. Vic then got taken in by Freq's family, but despite them giving all the love, care and support he could ask for, the moment Freq started gaining any fame and wealth was when Vic started trying to leech as much of it as he could, even being willing to blackmail Freq and ruin his life.

Vic's basically Dio.
And now we wait for spike to write Livin' da Dream part 2: B-ball Tendency.

zeemumu

Vic's basically Dio.

Cut to Vic stealing Freq's body and fishermen finding a coffin in the ocean with F.O.F engraved on it.

Matsukaze

I watched Plague's first two XCOM 2 archives on Twitch. I love that the Zaibatsu and Ustabiaz are in his character pools; he already has Matt, Woolie, and Pat recruited. I can't wait to see Woolie inevitably get mind controlled by a Sectoid and slaughter the others for the glory of Advent.

EndMerit

Can someone explain the dream thing in the latest FFX thing? It's really confusing me.

My time to shine!

So, like the Fayth kid said, 1000 years ago Bevelle and Zanarkand were at war, and from the get-go Bevelle had way more firepower and Zanarkand had no chance. But even back then Zanarkand had summoners (I don't remember if Bevelle and rest of Spira did, but that's not really relevant), and they wanted to preserve the "Zanarkand as it was before the war".

Now, we were told way back in Besaid that "fayth" are people who willingly trapped themselves in stone, essentially living forever. These are the things Yuna prays to in every temple, and therefore forms a "contract", allowing her to call Aeons, souls of the fayth.

So, if just one fayth can summon god-beasts like Rihanna, Seymour's Satan-Aeon and Nicki Minaj, imagine what hundreds of fayth working together can do.
Well, in Zanarkand's case, hundreds of summoners and civilians became fayth together to summon memory of Zanarkand, basically making a back-up version of the entire city and it's thousands of people.
And then thousand years passed, and nobody ever knew that this "dream of the fayth" existed, because how could they? How could you access data inside external hard drive in a world where computers don't exist?

But like Woolie caught on, all of this doesn't make sense just yet. Titus managed to "escape" this dream Zanarkand by getting sucked out of it by Sin, but what about Sin itself? Where did it originally come from? How can Sin move between Spira (reality) and Zanarkand (Dream)? How did Jecht originally manage to leave Zanarkand? And perhaps the most interesting question: If Auron is originally from Spira, how did he get IN dream Zanarkand after defeating Sin with Braska and Jecht?
Well, those are spoilers that may be revealed later.

Top Bottom