• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Edzi

I've come to accept that a lot of their LP's just aren't for me anymore. I mean, I'd consider Woolie and Pat to be big fans of DS, so the only reason they'd ruin their first experience through the game by doing it in a blind LP format is because they're making it for the views/people who don't really plan on playing the game themselves.

It just sucks because as a DS fan who knows they're also DS fans, I would have loved for them to be part of the ongoing discussion about the game since a good chunk of us have already finished the game. Instead, they're going to blindly fumble through it for the coming months and their eventual discussion/spoilercast (if they even have one by the time they eventually finish) will be marred by the fact that they probably missed a whole lot and missed the fan discussions that go along with a Souls release.

Would way rather have that than them knowing everything ahead of time. Way more fun to watch Pat fuck up.

Ugh... I know it's not your intention or anything, but them catering to fans like this are what kill video/LP quality for me. I don't know why some people enjoy watching bad playthroughs of good games, though I guess it ties back to what I said about these LPs not really being for me anymore.

Skrams

Liam talked about anime with some nerds.

Digibros still kind of a shit.
Edit also is JoJo really good? I remember reading the part of the first arc a long time ago and super cheesy but I could see why people liked it. Don't remember a lot, but Speedwagon is fucking cringe with his "battle commentary" and crying
How do you ask this after they pimp JoJo constantly? How?
Ugh... I know it's not your intention or anything, but them catering to fans like this are what kill video/LP quality for me. I don't know why some people enjoy watching bad playthroughs of good games, though I guess it ties back to what I said about these LPs not really being for me anymore.
People like to live themselves through others, so a few us will like to see their first reactions to the things in DS3. I hope to relive my YEAH DIS PART through them when the LP releases. I think a blind or not blind LP both have their own merits, but for a game like this where a lot of people put values on first reactions? Yeah, I prefer blind. I hope to see a progression of skill through multiple episodes or maybe just outright we're good at the game because we've been on this ride before. That's cool that you want a post discussion LP on the game, but can't you see why a lot of people want a play by play discussion? Hell, we almost get both anyway with podcast discussion later on.

Edzi

Liam talked about anime with some nerds.

Digibros still kind of a shit.

How do you ask this after they pimp JoJo constantly? How?

People like to live themselves through others, so a few us will like to see their first reactions to the things in DS3. I hope to relive my YEAH DIS PART through them when the LP releases. I think a blind or not blind LP both have their own merits, but for a game like this where a lot of people put values on first reactions? Yeah, I prefer blind. I hope to see a progression of skill through multiple episodes or maybe just outright we're good at the game because we've been on this ride before. That's cool that you want a post discussion LP on the game, but can't you see why a lot of people want a play by play discussion? Hell, we almost get both anyway with podcast discussion later on.

I see why people want it, I just think it hurts the quality of the videos and of their future discussion on the game.

KdylanR92

I see why people want it, I just think it hurts the quality of the videos and of their future discussion on the game.

The same people who want a blind LP are going to be the same people complaining 30+ episodes in when they just spent an hour wandering around because they don't know where to go.

I've said this before but why does everyone just forget how shit the last souls LP was when they start a new one?

The same people who want a blind LP are going to be the same people complaining 30+ episodes in when they just spent an hour wandering around because they don't know where to go.

I've said this before but why does everyone just forget how shit the last souls LP was when they start a new one?

oh no unlike most souls game id be legit impressed if you didnt miss anything your first time around
hell you can miss an entire ending
and 2 secret areas(though those will prob be taken care of )
and this game branches like crazy
ive had like 5 diffrent available paths before

Dude I'd rather watch ENB/German Spy do an expert level commentary on the lore and gameplay and crap than a half-assed "oh I kinda know what's happening" gameplay commentary that would come out of SBF. I don't know how you'd find the latter entertaining at all, that's way more frustrating to me.

Duplolas

Banned
I'm going to try my best to remix the balloon chant in the train station part of the Heavy Rain twitch stream.

Probably just going to remake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m48GqaOz90

but with the guy's voices.

If you guys could help me come up with some filler lyrics in between the "gotta get that balloon balloon balloon" parts you think would be funny, it would be greatly appreciated :D lol

I might just end up getting lazy and do the first 30 seconds of the song with the edit though haha.

Sylas

Dude I'd rather watch ENB/German Spy do an expert level commentary on the lore and gameplay and crap than a half-assed "oh I kinda know what's happening" gameplay commentary that would come out of SBF. I don't know how you'd find the latter entertaining at all, that's way more frustrating to me.

The DS2 playthrough was really frustrating to listen to sometimes because Pat's advice and experience of the game wasn't comprehensive, but he spoke like it was and Woolie followed his instructions fairly often. There were a ton of, "Ohhhhhhh my god nooooooooooooooooooooo," moments while watching and listening to the LP.

I vastly prefer to format of The Old Hunters, which was fantastic, because I understand that Souls games are 60% in the exploration of new mechanics, zones and weaponry. It's why NG+ in those games rarely holds as much weight as playing through fresh with a new build for me.

The DS2 playthrough was really frustrating to listen to sometimes because Pat's advice and experience of the game wasn't comprehensive, but he spoke like it was and Woolie followed his instructions fairly often. There were a ton of, "Ohhhhhhh my god nooooooooooooooooooooo," moments while watching and listening to the LP.

I vastly prefer to format of The Old Hunters, which was fantastic, because I understand that Souls games are 60% in the exploration of new mechanics, zones and weaponry. It's why NG+ in those games rarely holds as much weight as playing through fresh with a new build for me.

DS2 gave us Woolie falls.gif
never forget

Menitta

The DS2 playthrough was 100% worth it for the invasion of Plague of DIO with his horror-movie intro.

cVDfDK.gif

Edzi

warn ahead of time though
i need to prepare my character
also is NG and NG+ people able to interact with each other?

Pretty sure it just depends on your level, but I'm not sure if the rules change when using a password. Bloodborne let you join regardless of levels if you used a password, and I think it just scaled your level down to the host.

It's a shame Woolie has had such a poor exposure to FFX. Matt must actually have a poor opinion of FF in general if a pair of big tits and a bitching piano track are all it takes to call FFX one of his favourites.

Numb

That's not the only thing made of steel down there mmhhmm

Edit also is JoJo really good? I remember reading the part of the first arc a long time ago and super cheesy but I could see why people liked it. Don't remember a lot, but Speedwagon is fucking cringe with his "battle commentary" and crying

Jojo is the GOAT
You can't imagine half the shit thats' pulled in there and gets crazier as time goes on

I'm currently watching Too Many DS3 LPs, and the one thing I hope that doesn't happen in this one, is Pat constantly complaining about fan service/references from other souls games. ENB and German Spy have filled that quota.

You're asking a fanboivin not to repeat the opinions of people he respects.

sjay1994

I wonder, now that DS3 has the password system, will they have some pvp or co-op sessions during the playthrough

Doubt it. BB had the same system and they never engaged with it. Pat might just summon NPC's during tough bosses like he did in Old hunters. But people will definitely be gunning to invade their game.

sjay1994

Man, I am looking forward to the FFX lp ending. That LP encapsulates the best friends at their absolute best, and their absolute worst.

Almost every interaction outside of battles is great. Great humor, good jokes and reactions.

But when ever the screen shatters and they enter a battle, and you hear Woolie crack open the strategy guide the LP becomes a turgid, irritating bore, where they overthink everything in one battle and then don't seem to think in another.

Part 53 spoilers
The Jecht battle was filled with so many little mistakes that it build up to why they lost, essentially wasting 40 minutes of time. "Lets use Zombie on Jecht" "Ok"... now what? Lets keep using Zombie on Jecht while he is zombied. Lets not use a power/guard break on him because the guide doesn't mention it. Lets waste our MP on flare and holy when we don't have limit breaking weapons and two aga spells can do a bit more damage with out the huge MP cost. While we keep putting Jecht in Zombie, why don't we try healing spells on him because those do damage on zombie status. No? Lets keep pushing Lulu in battles where she isn't practical to use at all. They deserved that loss because they didn't think and made so many mistakes. All coupled with them taking minutes discussing moves.

I feel like a shit complaining about how they play a game, but man its not enjoyable to watch them in combat.

Edzi

Man, I am looking forward to the FFX lp ending. That LP encapsulates the best friends at their absolute best, and their absolute worst.

Almost every interaction outside of battles is great. Great humor, good jokes and reactions.

But when ever the screen shatters and they enter a battle, and you hear Woolie crack open the strategy guide the LP becomes a turgid, irritating bore, where they overthink everything in one battle and then don't seem to think in another.

Part 53 spoilers
The Jecht battle was filled with so many little mistakes that it build up to why they lost, essentially wasting 40 minutes of time. "Lets use Zombie on Jecht" "Ok"... now what? Lets keep using Zombie on Jecht while he is zombied. Lets not use a power/guard break on him because the guide doesn't mention it. Lets waste our MP on flare and holy when we don't have limit breaking weapons and two aga spells can do a bit more damage with out the huge MP cost. While we keep putting Jecht in Zombie, why don't we try healing spells on him because those do damage on zombie status. No? Lets keep pushing Lulu in battles where she isn't practical to use at all. They deserved that loss because they didn't think and made so many mistakes. All coupled with them taking minutes discussing moves.

I feel like a shit complaining about how they play a game, but man its not enjoyable to watch them in combat.

I pretty much saw this coming and it's why I decided to skip the LP. Well, that, and the fact that Matt clearly only likes the game ironically, since he doesn't really seem to respect the characters or the story it's trying to tell, and mostly just thinks it's stupid in a "lol, so bad it's good" kind of way. I honestly find it kind of obnoxious.

Matsukaze

5 days a week, eh? I'm looking forward to it.

What I want is for Woolie and Matt to heckle the shit out of Pat when he fucks up or gets outright stomped by a boss. That was part of the charm of the Bloodborne DLC, just listening to Woolie and Matt providing commentary on Pat's ability and making wisecracks while he tried to focus on whatever was trying to kill him. Sure, it's nice to be sympathetic, but I want to see that ginger rage unleashed! :p

Laputa_94

I pretty much saw this coming and it's why I decided to skip the LP. Well, that, and the fact that Matt clearly only likes the game ironically, since he doesn't really seem to respect the characters or the story it's trying to tell, and mostly just thinks it's stupid in a "lol, so bad it's good" kind of way. I honestly find it kind of obnoxious.

I am in the same boat. I watched random parts here and there, but seeing them overthink a Final Fantasy game and rush to a strategy guide doesn't sound like a good time at all.

sjay1994

I feel like they appreciate it a bit more now that they are playing. I know this LP made me appreciate the game more, because when I played it I also thought it was dumb.

ArjanN

Same here. A big part of these games are the surprises and figuring things out. I tend to prefer the LPs where you can see their actual reacions to stuff, instead of it just sort of being a lecture about the game, like the Deus Ex playthrough. Even for myself I find a second playthough of a Souls game not even half as interesting as most of the mystery is gone.

To be fair the story and characters really are pretty bad for the most part if taken unironically. There's some nice visual design and music though.

Top Bottom