• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

gundam talk on the podcast is so bad

thunderbolt has the worst and most unnatural dialogue i have ever seen ever. its a really pretty show but the writing is total garbage even by gundam standards, everytime someone opens their mouth its to say some hackneyed garbage or bad exposition

Skrams

Nioh is at a good level of difficulty right now and I'm really surprised resident game expert Liam actually says it should be toned down. You would think he would be the kind of person to step up to the plate and gitgud. Maybe it's because the Nioh video was a first look and not them practicing beforehand? I dunno, I killed the first boss second try and second boss on my third or fourth try.

Yeah the manga's a lot better. Still hold out hope that we'll get a FMA:Brotherhood-like remake.

Trigun's one of those shows I don't really get the reverence for either. Maybe it's because I watched subbed. It's good to hear the manga is better. The anime story feels super obvious in that it splits and it's kinda bleh to me at times. I'd rather it be more fleshed out than kind of excluding shit like the plant stuff from the anime.

I used to really enjoy the guest podcast episodes but I haven't really the last couple of times they've had guests.

I've liked Geoff due to the content he puts out, so this is real nice to see him integrate pretty well into the podcast. It helps that he's an actual fan of SBFP and actually watches their content regularly too. I also get to hear his thoughts on whatever anime this season and I don't normally get that on the podcast. It's nice for myself. Also get to hear him turn around a bit on RE:Zero and whatever other stuff I can't think of.

Only problem I guess is that he gets passionate and goes off on long tangents. Guys had to stop him an hour and 49 minutes in since he didn't see their skype messages to wrap it up.

Nioh is at a good level of difficulty right now and I'm really surprised resident game expert Liam actually says it should be toned down. You would think he would be the kind of person to step up to the plate and gitgud. Maybe it's because the Nioh video was a first look and not them practicing beforehand? I dunno, I killed the first boss second try and second boss on my third or fourth try.

Trigun's one of those shows I don't really get the reverence for either. Maybe it's because I watched subbed. It's good to hear the manga is better. The anime story feels super obvious in that it splits and it's kinda bleh to me at times. I'd rather it be more fleshed out than kind of excluding shit like the plant stuff from the anime.

I've liked Geoff due to the content he puts out, so this is real nice to see him integrate pretty well into the podcast. It helps that he's an actual fan of SBFP and actually watches their content regularly too. I also get to hear his thoughts on whatever anime this season and I don't normally get that on the podcast. It's nice for myself. Also get to hear him turn around a bit on RE:Zero and whatever other stuff I can't think of.

Only problem I guess is that he gets passionate and goes off on long tangents. Guys had to stop him an hour and 49 minutes in since he didn't see their skype messages to wrap it up.

I think its a nice change in pace for a guest to take control of the conversation, even if he did go on that huge fucking tangent. Too many of the guests get very little input in the conversation as its nearly always dictated by either Pat or woolie. As much as i like Austin, he might as well not have been in the podcast last week from how little he talked.
Also is RE:Zero worth getting into?

Menitta

Honestly, I like it that he was active in the conversation. Not that I don't like German Spy, I think he's a really cool guy, but when he was on the podcast, he didn't talk much.

Anung

Un Rama

Down there with the worst mainline Resi's but there is stuff to like about it and the HD version looks gorgeous.

Guest wise I feel like there's been to many recently. But I guess that's down to my personal lack of interest in the guests. Sometimes it feels like a guest doesn't even add much by being there.

ArjanN

The problem with Trigun is there's far too little focus on the main plot, there's like 20 goofy wandering-adventurer-who's-secretly-a-badass-solving-the-people's-problems episodes that are /feel like filler, and then a handful of awesome episodes that deal with the actual main plot.

The split is sort of like Cowboy Bebop, except in Cowboy Bebop those random standalone episodes are almost all really good.

Down there with the worst mainline Resi's but there is stuff to like about it and the HD version looks gorgeous.

Guest wise I feel like there's been to many recently. But I guess that's down to my personal lack of interest in the guests. Sometimes it feels like a guest doesn't even add much by being there.
Sorry bud, i meant the anime called RE:zero which is based on something else.

About the guests, i think they just want to add a bit of diversity to this weekly shitshow and after 143 podcasts, i cant blame them.It must be stale to them now. Also i think geoff might be one of the best they had recently. He had a lot of input in both games and anime.

Caderfix

Woolie having to tell the guest that he was taking to long to talk about his week was almost physically painful. Woolie did it in the best possible way, but, man, that must've been hard haha

Geg

Yeah I thought I'd been getting burnt out on guest podcasts but this one was really good, Geoff talked a lot and was pretty funny. It only being 4 people instead of 5 probably helped also

Strimei

Yeah, it generally kinda splits around the introduction of the Gung-ho Guns. Some of it are similar, but others get different and then others are VERY different.

The manga still has its faults but honestly its just a fun ride and has some killer fights. Also really fleshes out Wolfwood a lot more.

RedBoot

I'm still working on operation make Pat watch more Gintama.

He'd only appreciate it more now since he's watched Gundam.

It took me about 24 episodes before I "got" Gintama.

I mean, I love the hell out of it now, but that's a big investment to ask of anyone.

Squishy3

I mean, I love the hell out of it now, but that's a big investment to ask of anyone.
I was in as soon as Gintoki climbed into a vending machine pretending it was a time machine. Then the first episode where you meet Takasugi solidified it.

He also keeps saying he'll go back to One Piece and that's an even bigger time investment and the anime doesn't even stay good!

Strimei

Yeah, that's a lot of episodes to get through before it clicks.

I don't mind things being a slow burn and all, but I generally prefer it to not take essentially two seasons' worth of episodes to get there.

Maybe if I ever am in a real lull...

Is it possible to just jump in at a later point, or are the early episodes necessary?

They didn't talk about the NX or Zelda or Nintendo at E3. Weird.

Matt probably puts most of the Nintendo general news on the docket.

Though I am surprised Pat missed a chance for an "I told you so" re: Zelda's delay.

Edit: I love that Woolie's dumb love of SC4 characters accidentally caused Pat to discover some cool tech. Spearback Pat all the way.

Gestahl

Man, I hope Pat uses the Sellsword blades, because then he can finally become
Kirito

Apparently he's going to be an
estoc
shitter for several videos by what I'm sure is a coincidence and not at all him looking shit up and going bugfuck stupid over "optimal" builds like what he forced Woolie's character through in DSII

Menitta

Matt probably puts most of the Nintendo general news on the docket.

Though I am surprised Pat missed a chance for an "I told you so" re: Zelda's delay.

Edit: I love that Woolie's dumb love of SC4 characters accidentally caused Pat to discover some cool tech. Spearback Pat all the way.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't talk about it next week.

Matsukaze

Pat mentioned on Twitter that he's interested in swapping out different weapon set-ups for different zones, but his main concern is falling behind with upgrades.

I think that might be neat if he let Woolie and Matt put it to a vote. Like "New area. What weapon sounds good now?"

Probably won't happen, but who knows.

Edzi

Oh god just enjoy the videos and who cares what Pat may or may not have done.

These videos are always such a mess from both sides that it's almost funny. People who are complaining need to just stop watching the videos since they're clearly not going to change, and Pat/the guys need to stop asking the audience to tell them how to make their videos, since those fans will demand a shitty format that leads to poor quality videos which they will then complain about for being poor quality (and Pat is clearly losing his patience, since he's been responding a lot more to complainers on twitter). It's a lose lose situation for almost everyone involved.

Gestahl

Pat mentioned on Twitter that he's interested in swapping out different weapon set-ups for different zones, but his main concern is falling behind with upgrades.

I think that might be neat if he let Woolie and Matt put it to a vote. Like "New area. What weapon sounds good now?"

The game is balanced so that +3 or 4 is the norm until large titanite becomes plentiful around the sixth area and then 6 or 7 until they start dumping chunks on you in the last 25% so falling behind in upgrades is never really an issue outside the special weapon material. Especially if you're not adverse to grinding for the material

Strimei

The game just showers you in Large Titanite Shards in later areas (particularly
Irithyll
) so upgrading them to the point they need the chunks isn't too hard by then, at least. If he farms in that area (and I imagine he will, when he gets there), he could probably upgrade everything.

By the end of that area, I think I had like...72 large shards.

Gestahl

The game just showers you in Large Titanite Shards in later areas (particularly
Irithyll
) so upgrading them to the point they need the chunks isn't too hard by then, at least. If he farms in that area (and I imagine he will, when he gets there), he could probably upgrade everything.

By the end of that area, I think I had like...72 large shards.

You can get a pretty steady supply just from enemy drops after Farron Keep. The Ghrus in
Smouldering Lake
drop them pretty regularly I think, something there does anyway

Strimei

You can get a pretty steady supply just from enemy drops after Farron Keep. The Ghrus in
Smouldering Lake
drop them pretty regularly I think, something there does anyway

Good to know about that area. I'm avoiding it for the time being because my computer crashed badly when I got there the second time, and my video card's still giving me trouble (I'm really hoping the recent nvidia driver will fix things...). I need to revisit it soon though.

God I can't wait for their reactions to that damned giant crossbow-turret-thing. edit: Ballista, that's the word I'm looking for.

and my video card's still giving me trouble (I'm really hoping the recent nvidia driver will fix things...).

362 was the last stable build I heard about. Everyone seems to keep posting that upgrading further has been funky. I'd try rolling it back maybe, although I think you'll lose the preset configurations for DS3.

Strimei

362 was the last stable build I heard about. Everyone seems to keep posting that upgrading further has been funky. I'd try rolling it back maybe, although I think you'll lose the preset configurations for DS3.

I may try it again, but I was actually starting to get crashes pretty regularly with 362 as well. And not just on DS3 but other games too. I'll continue to tweak, in any event.

I may try it again, but I was actually starting to get crashes pretty regularly with 362 as well. And not just on DS3 but other games too. I'll continue to tweak, in any event.

Are you Windows 10 by chance? That's what I'm running and I've had zero problems with most of my games, but I don't have DS3.

Gestahl

I was getting hard video card crashes (black screen, audio cutting out fully) for a full week after the initial launch week and then it suddenly just stopped after I aired out the PC a bit (never made a huge difference in temp). The game is just fundamentally fucked on some level on PC, I wouldn't be surprised if an armor piece or a weapon I was using was just completely torching my 970 for no discernible reason

Strimei

Are you Windows 10 by chance? That's what I'm running and I've had zero problems with most of my games, but I don't have DS3.

Nah, I'm using 7, least up until the last minute when I'll have to make a choice soon when the deadline for upgrading for free looms (honestly, I'm happy with 7, so I'll probably stick with it).

Part of the problem might simply be dust buildup. I do live with four dogs, two cats, and three other people, so dust can accumulate quite quickly. After my most recent crash yesterday I took it apart and really went at it cleaning it, so maybe between the most recent driver and the cleaning, it'll be better.

Fingers crossed.

Nah, I'm using 7, least up until the last minute when I'll have to make a choice soon when the deadline for upgrading for free looms (honestly, I'm happy with 7, so I'll probably stick with it)..

7 > 10 will be a really nice transition for you since 10 doesn't require you to deal with any of the Metro bullshit that 8 had. It would basically be just a UI upgrade, performance tweaks, and continued support going forward, which is always a good thing.

Nothing wrong with sticking at 7, but on the other hand you won't have to buy a 10 key.

Skrams

I think its a nice change in pace for a guest to take control of the conversation, even if he did go on that huge fucking tangent. Too many of the guests get very little input in the conversation as its nearly always dictated by either Pat or woolie. As much as i like Austin, he might as well not have been in the podcast last week from how little he talked.
Yeah, Austin only really started talking once Pat left last episode. Before that I forgot he was there most of the time. Geoff flowed pretty well since he knows a lot of his shit and even watches shit like Reboot even though it just came out the day before recording the podcast.

Also your mileage may vary on RE:Zero. I really fucking like it since time shenanigans and a character that actually deals with the time bullshit in a smart way. Oh shit, I died in the middle of the night? Time to stay close to the original timeline to not fuck up how I deal with this and stay awake on that night to see what happened. I really like how they deal with the time shit a lot. Also considering he has to die to have time reversed there's a lot of emphasis on him dying in brutal ways or really slowly agonizing ways. They usually take their time to emphasize that dying fucking sucks. Get you some bloody anime at times and it feels good. Only thing that comes to mind that you might have trouble with is the main character's varying levels of otaku. I think he plays around with the trope well enough, but that's the main thing that might hurt it for people. I enjoy him for how he's actually smart, but just depends on your view of him.
The problem with Trigun is there's far too little focus on the main plot, there's like 20 goofy wandering-adventurer-who's-secretly-a-badass-solving-the-people's-problems episodes that are /feel like filler, and then a handful of awesome episodes that deal with the actual main plot.

The split is sort of like Cowboy Bebop, except in Cowboy Bebop those random standalone episodes are almost all really good.
Yeah, taking out the generals/gunghos really felt prodding and filler considering how little some of them really added.

Yeah, a lot of people really get in at that beef party.
Yeah, that's a lot of episodes to get through before it clicks.

I don't mind things being a slow burn and all, but I generally prefer it to not take essentially two seasons' worth of episodes to get there.

Maybe if I ever am in a real lull...

Is it possible to just jump in at a later point, or are the early episodes necessary?

They introduce some characters, but since Gintama is more akin to a Seinfeld or Friends, they're more skippable than other shows. You can watch episode 25 or whatever the beef party one is if you want to first and then keep going. I'd say peck your nose back around to the first 20 later on if you do somehow get into it since it still sets up characters you'll be in with for the long haul, but either ways fine really. I don't put a lot of baggage on watching Gintama from the beginning.

zeemumu

It's not really that Wolverine would die instantly if you threw him in water. It's just a lot more strenuous for him to stay afloat because of his skeleton.

Anung

Un Rama
Sorry bud, i meant the anime called RE:zero which is based on something else.

Hahaha!

I finally watched the first DS3 episode. Really strong start with some great laughs and some mad shit happening already. Dark Souls Gil absolutely slayed me.

Them one shotting a lot of the bosses isn't going to bother me considering how much easier Dark Souls 3 is as a whole.

Top Bottom