• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

The only kickstarter I regret ever backing although it was my first so I was naive then. Knew things went downhill when their updates began promoting some spin off card game more than the video game.

Yeah. I just really wanted it to be a thing dammit. Too good to be true.

I don't remember any talk about that on a recent podcast or let alone any talk.

Alright thanks. I guess my friend was just mistaken and I've been on a wild goose chase for nothing.

Matsukaze

Just got back from seeing Civil War.

Dear God, what a good movie. They really knocked it out of the park. Black Panther was great, Spidey was great, the fights were amazing. I don't have enough good things to say about this movie.

I dunno, I like 'chest ahead' for smithy. He has a real good chest. I also always get a kick out of the many editions of 'finger, but hole' or whatever people use.

Try tongue.

There are a lot of lore references to DS1 (and even a few to DS2) in DS3, but honestly I think it would be more interesting if Pat used his knowledge of the other games to talk about the design references, by which I mean things like how Irithyl Dungeon is clearly supposed to evoke the same atmosphere of Tower of Latria's first zone, or how the changes to the personalities of the NPCs seem to reflect Miyazaki's changing attitude toward the broad archetypes of the playerbase they roughly represent, or even how it seems that the visceral attack mechanic was (interestingly) largely restricted to the monsters and bosses that feel a bit more "Bloodborne" than others rather than being instituted as a universal mechanic.

Just got back from seeing Civil War.

Dear God, what a good movie. They really knocked it out of the park. Black Panther was great, Spidey was great, the fights were amazing. I don't have enough good things to say about this movie.

Spidey scenes were so good, I can't wait to get a full movie's worth of that. They nailed how Spiderman is supposed to be portrayed.

Mik317

holy shit Pat is overleveled to high hell.

goddam.

I'm slightly pass where they are at in ep 12 and yet he's 15 levels higher.

Gestahl

I think the most damning part of this playthrough for Pat was when he grinded 100k+ souls at Undead Settlement and still didn't have a single fucking arrow. Like just come the fuck on man, they're 5 souls a pop or whatever, fucks sakes

kewlmyc

I think the most damning part of this playthrough for Pat was when he grinded 100k+ souls at Undead Settlement and still didn't have a single fucking arrow. Like just come the fuck on man, they're 5 souls a pop or whatever, fucks sakes

How did he even grind that much in Undead Settlement? Helping co-op bosses?

Oh man that Abyss Watchers reaction, that fight.

PI4k2vQ.jpg

Edit: Oh please god tell me that sword/dagger combo is actually good and not just flashy bullshit.

Strimei

I did have a bit of a laugh at the Gascoigne glare the first Abyss Watcher does. Its cool, but yeah my first thought was "this seems familiar."

I only just now realize it though, but that pose he does at the end of the cinematic is the Legion Etiquette pose, isn't it? So I guess in a way he's saluting the player?

MrHoot

yeah I dont really care about the souls lp at this point, gonna skip it until it reaches a further point

There's nothing interesting about brute forcing with bland commentary ("OOOH THIS IS LIKE DARK SOULS 1 GUYS") while woolie and matt seeming kind of helpless most of the time

And it's so obvious he just reads or played ahead, like with the torch shit against the leech monsters. If you're not gonna play blind then just dont, i think it would be better

Mik317

yeah I dont really care about the souls lp at this point, gonna skip it until it reaches a further point

There's nothing interesting about brute forcing with bland commentary ("OOOH THIS IS LIKE DARK SOULS 1 GUYS") while woolie and matt seeming kind of helpless most of the time

And it's so obvious he just reads or played ahead, like with the torch shit against the leech monsters. If you're not gonna play blind then just dont, i think it would be better

He figured that out by virtue of trying to torch the leech monster.

Plus its not that hard of a concept to grasp.

MrHoot

He figured that out by virtue of trying to torch the leech monster.

Plus its not that hard of a concept to grasp.
oh please, he switches it in and out instantly before hitting the monster, and does it again while against the invader, and after still goes "hmmm i wonder what to do about that".

although to be fair it's not that or the overleveling that gets me, but for me the commentary is getting really dull. Picks up for boss fights i'm guessing so i'll watch these when they happen.

I'm guessing also that my annoyance at dark souls 3 using 1 as a crutch so much is also a source of irritation for me so eeeeeh

Oh man that Abyss Watchers reaction, that fight.

PI4k2vQ.jpg

Edit: Oh please god tell me that sword/dagger combo is actually good and not just flashy bullshit.

It's, uh... it's something. I've got it at +5, and I play around with it some. The DPS is definitely not on the order of Onikiri, but the parry is fast and free, and the L1's have ridiculously high knockdown/stun for fast attacks (they send Undead Jailors flying!).

The only problem is that the L1's are so wildly uncontrollable that they're really not practical to use in tense fights, and frankly you need the L1's because the R1's have ridiculously long recovery before you can even roll-cancel out of them and just aren't super great.

It's a great way of dealing with huge packs of trash enemies that the game's so fond of, though. Those L1's just reap their way through crowds while enemy AI stares in utter confusion.

Anung

Un Rama
Don't read Pats twitter right now. Some straight shade being thrown. He is saying apparently people complaining about over levelling haven't seen shit. Which is killing my interest in even watching. What's even the point?

On the flip side a lovely fan sent them Deep Fear. I have been waiting for them to play that for years now.

Laputa_94

I haven't watched the DS3 LP and never plan too, but Pats tweets seems he has a bone to pick to those in disfavor of over leveling. I personally don't really care since I only watched souls content for either story analysis or dicking around.

You chaps worry too much about over-leveling. It's Souls. The only content where your level makes a significant difference is the shitty content. If you can beat a Souls boss by showing him your level and having him back down, he's a bad boss to begin with.

This also extends to exploration. The traps and ambushes you can survive just by being a little higher level are rubbish. Like, are you seriously sitting here thinking, "I missed out on Pat getting killed by one of those garbage firebomb throwing thieves in Undead Settlement because he was too high level! If he was normal level he would have died instantly and it would've been so funny!"

Personally, I'd rather not see him have to constantly replay the bad content--and fuck, is there ever going the be a metric ton of it once he hits the Cathedral and beyond--just because he was running around at low enough health to get killed by every lame, by-the-numbers "Greirat drops off the ceiling" gank they piled into this game.

Strimei

I haven't watched the DS3 LP and never plan too, but Pats tweets seems he has a bone to pick to those in disfavor of over leveling. I personally don't really care since I only watched souls content for either story analysis or dicking around.

I can't imagine having people pile on to you, calling you a cheater or a liar, is very pleasant, and that's what a fair amount of these people are doing.

I mean hell, he just responded to someone who said that overleveling is essentially cheating. To which I have to ask, seriously?

Another guy called him out on seemingly mocking dissenters and not caring. I think he cares plenty, and mocking? I've seen him be a bit sarcastic, but what else is he supposed to do, smile while people shovel crap on him?

What is the problem with being over leveled anyway? Did it a shitton in Bloodborne while I was still getting used to dodging. Is this another Souls, "You didn't actually beat the boss because you summoned" sort of community crap?

It's not like there's any gate that says "LEVELS 15-20 ONLY"

zeemumu

Pat needs to watch his health. He keeps avoiding drinking when he's at 50% against enemies who can take of 50% with one swing.

He is both too cautious (with his one swing tactic) and not cautious enough.

Strimei

What is the problem with being over leveled anyway? Did it a shitton in Bloodborne while I was still getting used to dodging. Is this another Souls, "You didn't actually beat the boss because you summoned" sort of community crap?

It's not like there's any gate that says "LEVELS 15-20 ONLY"

Seems that way. I don't get it either. I was fairly overleveled in places, such as the Cathedral of the Deep (because i didn't even know it existed and bypassed it until I hit a roadblock that required something from there) and it still kicked my ass something fierce at times. Overleveling doesn't seem like that massive an issue.

MrHoot

i'm fine with the overleveling. Will make some painful party of the game go by faster for the better bits. Although yeah kinda makes it that playing it "blind" doesnt seem relevant.

Mostly (and i dont think its anyones fault) commentary is getting a bit...off. Since he can blaze through most stuff, comm basically sums up at pat pointing out some das1 stuff that woolie and matt cant really comment on, some "lets look at that weapon" or "look at how much of a cool guy i am" and some passing comment on the scenery. Hoping Matt and Woolie get some more light podcasting in maybe to counter the whole thing cuz its not even that interesting to listen to atm

But i'm also a crazy stupid asshole who has talked and thoughr way too much about souls 3 recently

Seems that way. I don't get it either. I was fairly overleveled in places, such as the Cathedral of the Deep (because i didn't even know it existed and bypassed it until I hit a roadblock that required something from there) and it still kicked my ass something fierce at times. Overleveling doesn't seem like that massive an issue.

You cheated yourself out of the the tensest and most exciting fight in the game.

I'm kidding. Deacons of the Deep is a garbage fight no matter when you do it.

Strimei

You cheated yourself out of the the tensest and most exciting fight in the game.

I'm kidding. Deacons of the Deep is a garbage fight no matter when you do it.

I actually didn't mind the fight that much though you are right it is still meh. And honestly, I rather enjoyed my reaction after beating that Guts-dog thing on the bridge and hitting that barrier. "...doll? What the hell is that? What doll?!"

Anung

Un Rama
i'm fine with the overleveling. Will make some painful party of the game go by faster for the better bits. Although yeah kinda makes it that playing it "blind" doesnt seem relevant.

Mostly (and i dont think its anyones fault) commentary is getting a bit...off. Since he can blaze through most stuff, comm basically sums up at pat pointing out some das1 stuff that woolie and matt cant really comment on, some "lets look at that weapon" or "look at how much of a cool guy i am" and some passing comment on the scenery. Hoping Matt and Woolie get some more light podcasting in maybe to counter the whole thing cuz its not even that interesting to listen to atm

But i'm also a crazy stupid asshole who has talked and thoughr way too much about souls 3 recently

I concur. I think having another Souls player on board (liam) would really help this LP. Bloodborne didn't matter as much because it's less established but pat and two souls newbies is not very compelling as a souls fan.

I don't understand some y'all's problems with "over leveling". Grinding has always been an optional part of RPGs and generally better use of time than watching someone mash their head against a wall for an hour. But maybe it's just people wanting something to complain about.

Xux

More shilling for Vessel: The Zaibatsu's best series returns with
CAB: DOAX:F.
I don't understand some y'all's problems with "over leveling". Grinding has always been an optional part of RPGs and generally better use of time than watching someone mash their head against a wall for an hour. But maybe it's just people wanting something to complain about.
I complained about it before but the way it's exploded has really how shown me how little I care about how other people play a video game and the sanctity of playing "blind" or at the "correct" pace.

Matsukaze

Pat over-leveling doesn't bother me in the slightest. He's free to grind as he pleases and it helps him avoid running face-first into a brick wall.

What is a travesty is that Pat doesn't embrace the greatest of weapons, the almighty Whip.

#WhipItGood

:p

It's mostly just people vastly overestimating the value of leveling in a Souls game. They think they're being "cheated" out of fun* moments because in their mind if Pat was lower level he'd be dying left, right and center.

*I don't actually know what they're hoping for here other than Pat getting ganked while exploring, since he already established that he's going to call Citizen Snips to abridge boss attempts rather than showing all the failed tries.

]I complained about it before but the way it's exploded has really how shown me how little I care about how other people play a video game and the sanctity of playing "blind" or at the "correct" pace.

I've always enjoyed 2bf/sbf most when they're having fun. So if being over-leveled means they're having more fun then cool. The only time I've ever complained or felt dissatisfied with Pat is in the Deus Ex play through when he considers actually using cheats. Just giving them all the powers seems pretty boring since restriction is what leads to innovation in a lot of the problem solving in that game. But (at least so far) they seem to have decided against that idea.

Disgraced

The problem with Souls LPs is they're not often that interesting without some sort of gimmick, regardless of the LPer, especially now that we're five games / three LPs from the SBF in.

There's not much to the DS3 LP, other than Matt being there to spice up the conversation a bit. I stopped watching somewhere around 4 or 5 in—don't remember, so take what I'm about to say with an extra grain of salt.

Over-leveling off camera and minimal editing aren't problems on their own whatsoever. From what I gather reading everyone's comments about this LP, the problem some people are having is there's just not enough tension when Pat [might] know what's going to happen and is over-leveled. I don't think that'd be a problem if they were making a mostly informative LP that's less about their playthrough and more about analyzing the "lore" and design of the game. But that's not the SBF style, they generally make raw, improv comedy LPs about their experience with the game, right?

Being regular-leveled would probably make for a more entertaining LP if the excess failure was snipped out. But again, they prefer to make mostly raw videos.

So what you're left with is long uncut hours of the LPers having a relatively easy time with the game and not a lot interesting to say once they've run out of [comedy] steam, and with such a long game and such raw footage I'm sure that's happened at many points.

The lesson here is LPing a Souls game is kind of a bad idea.

Pat over-leveling doesn't bother me in the slightest. He's free to grind as he pleases and it helps him avoid running face-first into a brick wall.

What is a travesty is that Pat doesn't embrace the greatest of weapons, the almighty Whip.

#WhipItGood

And he's not even using the true man's shield: the Buckler.
"No, they just had his hat."

Matt and woolie, the true heroes of the lp.
My favorite comment on that episode was something like "Matt's Punished beanie is on this hat rack. MATT MUST HAVE TURNED INTO A HAT RACK!"

sjay1994

I can't imagine having people pile on to you, calling you a cheater or a liar, is very pleasant, and that's what a fair amount of these people are doing.

I mean hell, he just responded to someone who said that overleveling is essentially cheating. To which I have to ask, seriously?

Another guy called him out on seemingly mocking dissenters and not caring. I think he cares plenty, and mocking? I've seen him be a bit sarcastic, but what else is he supposed to do, smile while people shovel crap on him?

Its gotten super bad ever since Liam coined "fuckboivin"

#WhipItGood

It's not a surprise. Pat couldn't resist playing ahead in bloodborne and was clearly desperately to do the same here. His grinding is how he's controlling his urge to play ahead so people should be glad were not seeing pat faking the lp. Should have been woolie on control, a lot more painful to watch but at least woolie has better control on needing to fulfill his soul craving.

convo

It's not a surprise. Pat couldn't resist playing ahead in bloodborne and was clearly desperately to do the same here. His grinding is how he's controlling his urge to play ahead so people should be glad were not seeing pat faking the lp. Should have been woolie on control, a lot more painful to watch but at least woolie has better control on needing to fulfill his soul craving.

I find it puzzling why people would hold them to something like a "professional" standard, they should know these guys are just guys with simple urges, being entertainers comes a close second.

I find it puzzling why people would hold them to something like a "professional" standard, they should know these guys are just guys with simple urges, being entertainers comes a close second.

Simple urges for drugs, waifus, and murder.

And whatever Matt's vice is. The Simpsons?

Zocano

I for one liked the pace the Bloodborne LP had. The passing off was interesting and it was cool for them to experience it together (dunno how the Dark Souls 3 LP will pan out if Matt and Woolie dive deep on their own games).

Also Bloodborne didn't have as much "isn't this so much better than Dark Souls 2" stuff going on from Pat.

Their motto is basically expect poor standards and the most amateur production. That's not me comparing but people wanting them to play to their standards has always been a bit creepy. They're not the best gamers by any means but their main appeal was the goofy personality.

Top Bottom