• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Nah he said Dark Souls 3 would be 5 times a week without fail until it's over. People just were dumb and couldn't read correctly.

He did say it would be everyday at an earlier point, but stated it would 5 days per week later. Of course some people just latched on to the everyday thing.

Nah. You roll, you risk getting too close to them/inside them/behind them where everything they do hits you, and then you basically get to be at the mercy of them just deciding to stop spamming attacks eventually since they aren't programmed with any significant recovery on their primary string and can launch out of it directly right back into it.

Like, you can do it, but it's an entirely shitty way of fighting them compared to keeping waaaay out in front of them and just laming it out, where all you have to worry about is their admittedly also completely moronic charging grab attack.
I mean you might be right that a shield really helps, but I still don't use a shield and they're not that hard. The only issue comes that you have to understand sometimes you can't retaliate after a roll.You have to roll, wait, roll, until they do something punishable. The active frames aren't too long to actually dodging through all their attacks isn't a big deal..
boolit

Does Pat honestly think Siegward is "the same guy from DS1"?
Like, he can't possible be that wrong, can he?

Even Matt suggested it could be an ancestor or relative and Pat quickly cut him off.

FGC and SBF?

ikyadbljtrstkvr8c85y.jpg

Edzi

Does Pat honestly think Siegward is "the same guy from DS1"?
Like, he can't possible be that wrong, can he?

Even Matt suggested it could be an ancestor or relative and Pat quickly cut him off.

One thing I've noticed about Pat is that he's typically not as "hardcore" as you'd think for some of the series he seems most passionate about. I don't mean this in a bad way and I don't mean to say that his love for the games isn't genuine, just that for most of the stuff he gushes about (think Persona or Dark Souls) he's actually not as knowledgeable as you'd expect someone who's super into the games would be, so people might get the wrong expectations and get disappointed when he actually gets into the games in an LP or podcast discussion. This shouldn't be a problem most of the time, but it can get annoying when he presents wrong things as facts and with full confidence.

Okay I finally understand what it is like to be annoyed at them for saying wrong things.

Siegward and Siegmeyer are different characters. Just because they're black doesn't mean they're all the same, damn racist Pat. And Pat got Siegmeyer's character completely wrong, he was never gung ho (except that one time).

I'm waiting on the Nioh demo playthrough. It seems like something they'd love, as it is just character action. Liam mentioned on reddit they're doing a video so I guess it is a matter of time.

Gestahl

So did he just not bother finishing the talk with Siegward for that sleep gesture? You could make a fun drinking game out of all the advice Pat Classic gave Woolie in DS2 that Nu Pat just straight up ignores when he's playing

And by fun I mean potentially fatal

MrHoot

One thing I've noticed about Pat is that he's typically not as "hardcore" as you'd think for some of the series he seems most passionate about. I don't mean this in a bad way and I don't mean to say that his love for the games isn't genuine, just that for most of the stuff he gushes about (think Persona or Dark Souls) he's actually not as knowledgeable as you'd expect someone who's super into the games would be, so people might get the wrong expectations and get disappointed when he actually gets into the games in an LP or podcast discussion. This shouldn't be a problem most of the time, but it can get annoying when he presents wrong things as facts and with full confidence.

Well Pat's opinions on these games mostly come from someone elses or the community at large at this point, and his opinions are stopped on these unless a sufficient push from said community happens. Like he basically mirrors anything said by ENB, or Mattewmatosis when it comes to Souls 2. And of course anything that just references souls 1 he'll love because it's souls 1

It's okay most of the time but yeah, it's kind of annoying that Liam isn't here too sometimes because Pat being the only "authority" of the group for Souls makes for a very skewed view (I actually wish they'd get plague sometimes too but he's probably gonna do his own thing)

Also part 8 spoiler:
Man if he's just gonna grind madly between each sessions and it's pretty obvious he's getting info on the side, what's the point of even doing this blind

Zocano

Well Pat's opinions on these games mostly come from someone elses or the community at large at this point, and his opinions are stopped on these unless a sufficient push from said community happens. Like he basically mirrors anything said by ENB, or Mattewmatosis when it comes to Souls 2. And of course anything that just references souls 1 he'll love because it's souls 1

ENB actually likes Dark Souls 2 a lot and I'd imagine has fairly conflicting opinions with Peeve and others.

I remember reading in an old Dark Souls thread that someone called ENB a shill for saying he liked Dark Souls 2 more than 1. Fuckin' head-up-ass souls community is the worst.

So did he just not bother finishing the talk with Siegward for that sleep gesture? You could make a fun drinking game out of all the advice Pat Classic gave Woolie in DS2 that Nu Pat just straight up ignores when he's playing

And by fun I mean potentially fatal
Just wait for the Best Friends Play Dark Snails 3 edit

convo

Most of the DS3 playthrough isn't going to be a problem since they've got that list to follow now. They'll get the good stuff because Pat's wants all of it, and if they missed stuff they'll know too. And since Matt's and Woolie's commentary will be on point no matter how successful they are at following that list it's gonna be entertaining. It won't stop everyone from being annoyed at something they do, but pleasing everyone isn't the style they should go for.

Matsukaze

I remember watching Plague's XCOM 2 stream and at one point he just stopped, sighed, and said that the DS3 LP was going to be a mess because of Pat passing off his wonky interpretation of lore and characters to Woolie and Matt, neither of whom know close to enough to challenge him. I thought it was hilarious at the time because he just threw Pat under the bus as a team leader for the LP; I'm starting to realize Plague was being dead serious and not at all trying to be amusing.

Pat isn't ruffling my feathers just yet, though. The LP is still gold and it better stay that way. :p

I did think it was weird that Matt came up with a plausible idea about Siegward being a descendant and Pat just instantly shut him down. Not even a "perhaps", or a "I don't know if I agree with that", just "No". I chalked that up to Pat being allergic to opinions that differ from his own, but if I were Matt, I'd expect a follow-up explanation as to why the answer is no, instead of being left hanging.

convo

I remember watching Plague's XCOM 2 stream and at one point he just stopped, sighed, and said that the DS3 LP was going to be a mess because of Pat passing off his wonky interpretation of lore and characters to Woolie and Matt, neither of whom know close to enough to challenge him. I thought it was hilarious at the time because he just threw Pat under the bus as a team leader for the LP; I'm starting to realize Plague was being dead serious and not at all trying to be amusing.

Throwing the Zaibatsu under the bus is nearly a requirement to understanding these guys, Wollie knows to not get his hopes up to early to sound professional on FGC commentary.
Although i'd disagree with Wollie that getting things wrong isn't entertaining every time, like that misremembering stuff in the Punisher LP where Matt is correcting Wollie and he insists that being wrong is more funny.

Pat being super wrong about Souls lore is fine. About half of all "lore" in Souls games is just overblown fanon and the end result of design decisions that probably had more to do with deadlines than conscious choices.

Part of the fun of the Souls games is that things are nebulous and you get to draw your own conclusions. Yes, some of his conclusions are just factually wrong, but there's nothing wrong with him trying to "find his own lore".

Gestahl

I did think it was weird that Matt came up with a plausible idea about Siegward being a descendant and Pat just instantly shut him down. Not even a "perhaps", or a "I don't know if I agree with that", just "No". I chalked that up to Pat being allergic to opinions that differ from his own, but if I were Matt, I'd expect a follow-up explanation as to why the answer is no, instead of being left hanging.

He can't even remember Siegmeyer's name or anything about him beyond "guy in onion armor"

Bodes well for that one scene in the Cathedral that people never find

MrHoot

ENB actually likes Dark Souls 2 a lot and I'd imagine has fairly conflicting opinions with Peeve and others.

I remember reading in an old Dark Souls thread that someone called ENB a shill for saying he liked Dark Souls 2 more than 1. Fuckin' head-up-ass souls community is the worst.

Oh i meant he quotes Mattewmattosis for Dark souls 2. I know ENB liked it (although I don't remember if he said he liked it more than 1 ?). But yeah in general I feel like Pat has kinda fallen into the generic Souls community memes.

But yeah it's not a problem he makes mistakes about lore, just that's so adamant about being right about "souls lore" when souls lore is extremely malleable. Especialyl Souls 3 right now which is kind of a blob

He can't even remember Siegmeyer's name or anything about him beyond "guy in onion armor"

Bodes well for that one scene in the Cathedral that people never find

I hope Woolie's checklist is on point for that. The conditions to generate that scene are something else, even by Dark Soul's obtuse NPC quest standards.

You can see Pat adjust the volume in the Enter the Gungeon video, and it's clearly the Windows 10 (or 8/.1) UI. Wasn't he super vehemently against upgrading his OS?

Pat being super wrong about Souls lore is fine. About half of all "lore" in Souls games is just overblown fanon and the end result of design decisions that probably had more to do with deadlines than conscious choices.

Part of the fun of the Souls games is that things are nebulous and you get to draw your own conclusions. Yes, some of his conclusions are just factually wrong, but there's nothing wrong with him trying to "find his own lore".

Just remember what happened to Solaire when he tried to 'find his own sun'.

Just remember what happened to Solaire when he tried to 'find his own sun'.

I mean, Solaire's kind of the perfect example. The whole "Solaire is Gwyn's Firstborn" thing is a fan theory that's been pretty thoroughly debunked by sources outside the game, but it's honestly more fun than the truth and it hasn't really hurt anything for the fan community to believe it.

If Pat wants to believe Siegmeyer survived and got his shit together, what's really the harm?
To Siegward, I mean. Siegward's story doesn't really have the same sort of arc that Siegmeyer's did, anyway. Obviously, it kind of putzes up Siegmeyer's story, but I guess Pat either never finished it that way or doesn't consider that ending 'canon'.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm waiting for some Persona-esque plot twist that Pat has never actually finished Dark Souls whilst presenting himself as some sort of passionate authority on the matter.

(I'm joking)

MrHoot

Hey I don't fault Pat after all too much. He doesn't get to play the game too much on his own which is punishment enough.

I don't understand really why some keep asking for blind souls LP. I understand the fun but every damn souls LP is a blind one at this point.

Laputa_94

Hey I don't fault Pat after all too much. He doesn't get to play the game too much on his own which is punishment enough.

I don't understand really why some keep asking for blind souls LP. I understand the fun but every damn souls LP is a blind one at this point.

I guess people just prefer reactions over quailty.

Anung

Un Rama

It's an LP paradox. People want (or think they want) a blind Souls LP. They want Pat to go in not knowing about all the madshit that'll happen. Mostly the same people rail on him for not knowing what he's doing/talking about which leads to him over-leveling in his spare time and asking Plague for advice...which removes the whole blind aspect anyway.

Should have been half-blind. But hey the community hath spoken.

I guess people just prefer reactions over quailty.

The most realistic compromise would have been woolie on control and pat just plays ahead akin to dark soul 2 lp. Only issue from that is woolie is the most defensive player to exist as well as being the slowest. I think the lp is fine as long as your in it for the ride and not to give directions.

Duplolas

Banned
Hell yeah! An Enter the Gungeon LP! I heard Pat talking about it on the podcast and crossed my fingers they would do one.

Such a great game.

Pat and I basically took the same route of picking games to hold us over until Dark Souls 3 released. We both went back to DS2, quit that shit, and then started playing Enter the Gungeon lol.

I'm kinda upset that Pat didn't do his research into Devolver Digital when he gave their mobile game Ridiculous Fishing the #10 slot on his list. He would have stumbled upon Nuclear Throne, which is an incredible game.

ArjanN

It's an LP paradox. People want (or think they want) a blind Souls LP. They want Pat to go in not knowing about all the madshit that'll happen. Mostly the same people rail on him for not knowing what he's doing/talking about which leads to him over-leveling in his spare time and asking Plague for advice...which removes the whole blind aspect anyway.

Should have been half-blind. But hey the community hath spoken.

Honestly if it was half blind you'd get the exact same thing, except they'd be even less surprised and it'd be even more dry.

Playing a Souls game blind the first time through is definitely the most satisfying, and people should just stop nerdraging if they get something wrong about the lore or miss some item they'd never use anyway. It's not like anyone else actually gets what's going on in these games the first time through without looking at outside sources either.

Honestly, If anything their playthrough is going far too smooth already IMO.

The most realistic compromise would have been woolie on control and pat just plays ahead akin to dark soul 2 lp. Only issue from that is woolie is the most defensive player to exist as well as being the slowest. I think the lp is fine as long as your in it for the ride and not to give directions.

I think the DeS playthought already shows that's not great either as it just leads to non-stop backseat driving. I think in general they should just be less worried about taking their time and that reading some text, exploring a bit, die a few times etc, is all fine, and they can just ignore the ADHD youtube commenters that can't handle 2 seconds of downtime.

Xater

Hell yeah! An Enter the Gungeon LP! I heard Pat talking about it on the podcast and crossed my fingers they would do one.

Such a great game.

Pat and I basically took the same route of picking games to hold us over until Dark Souls 3 released. We both went back to DS2, quit that shit, and then started playing Enter the Gungeon lol.

I'm kinda upset that Pat didn't do his research into Devolver Digital when he gave their mobile game Ridiculous Fishing the #10 slot on his list. He would have stumbled upon Nuclear Throne, which is an incredible game.

Devolver is a publisher. Nuclear Throne was made by Vlambeer and Gungeon by Dodgeroll.

Anung

Un Rama
Honestly if it was half blind you'd get the exact same thing, except they'd be even less surprised and it'd be even more dry.

Playing a Souls game blind the first time through is definitely the most satisfying, and people should just stop nerdraging if they get something wrong about the lore or miss some item they'd never use anyway. It's not like anyone else actually gets what's going on in these games the first time through without looking at outside sources either.

Honestly, If anything their playthrough is going far too smooth already IMO.

I don't disagree. People will complain regardless. I guess it just comes down to what approach people feel will make for the best quality LP.

Overall I'd have preferred it if he just played it blind by himself like a regular person. It must suck having your first time with a game be under these conditions.

I'm yet to even start this LP yet. I'll need to get on that soon but that but reception is somewhat mixed. Peeps saying its Old Hunters good other saying its 'ehhhh'.

I'm rewatching LOU at the moment and there is some good stuff in there. Probably more good stuff than I remembered but wow is there some DSP levels of bad going on it that LP.

BossRush

As bad as the souls LPs are, they have a lot of redeeming moments, such as when Woolie fell off a small incline in the third dlc and instantly died

MrHoot

I want an LP or an animation about Plague and Sam the crab. Check his twitter, seriously. He managed to get a dumb crab all the way around to places he shouldn't be

I like a blind playthrough if the player is skilled enough that a non-blind playthrough would be a bit of a breeze (see: ENB's blind DS3 playthrough).

I actually prefer a non-blind playthrough if the player is going to struggle even having played through the game before (see: Game Grump's DS3 playthrough).

Pat and Woolie are kind of a tough call since they're somewhere in the middle.

Gestahl

@ Dark souls ep 9
Pat ur overleveled for crystal sage to be that easy

I guessed right every time in the second phase and it literally could do nothing to me as I beat it to death

But Pat's probably lv100 and tanking every blast to the face

I guessed right every time in the second phase and it literally could do nothing to me as I beat it to death

But Pat's probably lv100 and tanking every blast to the face

Yeah, I suck at the game and that was one of the easiest boss fights for me(that i didn't coop for), I didn't even have to use my newb magic.

Squishy3

Yeah, I suck at the game and that was one of the easiest boss fights for me(that i didn't coop for), I didn't even have to use my newb magic.
Yeah I did it level appropiate and it's still laughably faceroll. Only part that prevents you from killing him in one shot is that he teleports after so many hits.

MrHoot

Yeah. For the entire first part of the game, the normal mobs are actually way more dangerous than bosses. I imagine he's gonna have some trouble in the catacombs, and then in Irythil when shit starts getting really freaky regardless of levels

Top Bottom