• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Anung

Un Rama
Can't say I'm a fan of some decent criticisms people are making being written off as "outspoken babies" and "Whiney Souls fans". Guess having an echo chamber is easier than addressing it.

Gestahl

"I feel like to all the folks telling me to stop grinding in Dark Souls 3, I've thought about it. You're right. I will stop grinding NOW."
"So just to be clear, that means I won't be grinding after episode 21. Anything before that, well, whoops. Too late."

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/729799736031580160

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/729799868856868866

So there, he'll stop grinding.

(Course, its probably too late heh)

lol he's going to be 150+ at like the third, second last area in the game at that point

Whatever I'm tapping out of this shit now anyway, Kay's back and Jeff Green's still streaming I have options that don't involve MULTIPLE ESTOCS LIKE FUCKING SERIOUSLY

Skrams

I haven't even started the LP yet, but I'm really enjoying just being on the outer edge enough to get some good shit like this.

tumblr_o6xhyn0aRQ1sx2xpwo1_1280.png

I'm also not sure how Pat avoided the easiest method to keep playing, but not overlevel. Just spend the souls on items or lose them permanently. If he wants to have fun with all the weapons and nonsense then just grind for titanite, pay to level them up, and then you can show them off when recording happens. No leveling, just paying for dumb upgrades, armors, a fuckton of arrows, or whatever. Switching up weapons constantly without the fear of major damage mitigation would probably be good for the LP.

Gestahl

What's funny is that 100 green blossoms or whatever would probably be even more overpowered than all those points in endurance he keeps obsessing over every fucking game because Dark Souls 1 broke his brain with it and he still can't get over or comprehend the end/vit split

Xux

I'm loving watching pat just shut down all the crazy people trying to catch him cheating. Most of the fun I get from these souls lps are from how angry the fanbase gets. Watching dark souls fans throw a tantrum has never not been entertaining and I really hope they never stop.
Seriously. Pat's responses have been really tame for the shit he's getting but it's still amusing.

Squishy3

I haven't even started the LP yet, but I'm really enjoying just being on the outer edge enough to get some good shit like this.

I'm also not sure how Pat avoided the easiest method to keep playing, but not overlevel. Just spend the souls on items or lose them permanently. If he wants to have fun with all the weapons and nonsense then just grind for titanite, pay to level them up, and then you can show them off when recording happens. No leveling, just paying for dumb upgrades, armors, a fuckton of arrows, or whatever. Switching up weapons constantly without the fear of major damage mitigation would probably be good for the LP.
He has like every weapon upgraded tho. He's grinding out shards too

Sou Da

Stuff with Liam? I like all of them to some extent, I just fall off of the ones that aren't perfect. Can't expect perfect all the time I suppose.
I don't like Liam in general, at all.

I'm probably going stop watching the ds3 play through but is pretty funny that Pattron is pretty much souls Batman. I actually laughed when I saw the fire estoc.

Laputa_94

What even is a good LP anymore?

I don't know really. I watch next to nothing of their stuff anymore. I only watch it if its a game that interests me or has a pairing I like, I tend to only watch stuff with Pat and Woolie. Then chances are I'll give up the LP since their commentary can decrease in quality over time. Maybe I grew out of their content or maybe they've changed over the past few years idk. I know one thing is that I can't be bothered with blind LPs when it comes to new games I could not care less about that concept, but since thats what the majority of their fans want then I won't fight it.

I don't like Liam in general, at all.

Me too I won't watch anything he's in anymore.

MrHoot

Like really for all the snark I can give Pat, honestly it's not his fault but that was the wish of the community.

I just genuinely think that blind souls LP are always an awful awful idea. They're particular obtuse games on which you get a reading before and after your first playthrough. And souls 3 particularily so with it's new weapon dynamics and incredibly stupid NPC questline requirements sometimes.

I remember talking about this ages ago in this thread on old LPs and I still subscribe to the school of thought that LPs should service the game as well as the let's player. And nonblind stuff I prefer the best actually. Sure you lose genuine reactions but honestly some of the best i've seen like the Trespasser LP from Researchindicates, cybershells sonic series lp, diabetus's mario galaxy 2 lp on which he brings on guests. Hell even out of the best friends on the channel right now I find their strongest stuff to be twilight princess or punisher because they already know the game a bit and can bantz more easily.

Although a lot of blind stuff can be fun too especially most AAA games which usually guide you anyway through the motions and don't need much extra investment. I just find souls games blind LPs, especially from the community itself (ENB, tbfp and such) very grating to watch. PARTICULARILY with 3 because, like ENB said, "souls is dead" and the sense of discovery is gone and everyone including the players is trying to use their soul mojo constantly to be better than the game before the game even takes a swing.

At least the kay LP is still relaxing as hell ´_>`

Also I'm up to part 9 and I'm already getting tired of "your so easy/not so bad" when he's twenty-odd levels above the area baseline is just awful. Plus the constant squeeling is grating (probably because I'm watching it in one big chunk) every time a souls reference happens oh wait wasn't DS2 a piece of shit for that very thing?

It's also my only genuien complaint about the actual LP. Commentary is super redundant and thank god woolie and matt are here to break the monotony

kewlmyc

Well it's was never really a Blind Playthrough when Pat said on a podcast like 3 months ago that he was going to not really be avoiding spoilers. I do wonder how he's getting all of these items though. How do you even farm Black Knight armor that early in the game?

MrHoot

Well it's was never really a Blind Playthrough when Pat said on a podcast like 3 months ago that he was going to not really be avoiding spoilers. I do wonder how he's getting all of these items though. How do you even farm Black Knight armor that early in the game?

Oh you can just go in crucifixion wood and kill the one in the ruins across the giant crystal lizard. Takes a shitload of time but knowing Pat that's not a problem

Strimei

I thought his point was more that he won't actively seek spoilers but people would eventually be tweeting him this that and the other thing. And people did exactly that.

As for how to farm, killing the black knight in the road of sacrifices again and again (he respawns).

As for what to watch, personally I find DXHR and the Punisher both quite good.

kewlmyc

Oh you can just go in crucifixion wood and kill the one in the ruins across the giant crystal lizard. Takes a shitload of time but knowing Pat that's not a problem

I thought his point was more that he won't actively seek spoilers but people would eventually be tweeting him this that and the other thing. And people did exactly that.

As for how to farm, killing the black knight in the road of sacrifices again and again (he respawns).

As for what to watch, personally I find DXHR and the Punisher both quite good.

Wait, it respawns? I had no idea. I swore I went back and it wasn't there.

And yeah, Zelda, HR, and Punisher are all fantastic.

Geg

I don't get the argument that this undermines the playthrough or makes it less entertaining to watch either. Is it honestly more entertaining to see him die to normal enemies and go through the same areas over and over? The best parts of the playthrough are always when something sudden/unexpected happens and I don't see how his level would really affect that

I don't get the argument that this undermines the playthrough or makes it less entertaining to watch either. Is it honestly more entertaining to see him die to normal enemies and go through the same areas over and over? The best parts of the playthrough are always when something sudden/unexpected happens and I don't see how his level would really affect that
They would cut the video if it ever got that bad, and he didn't need to be like 40 levels above normal to avoid that anyway, most souls veterans wouldn't have that problem.

Well it's was never really a Blind Playthrough when Pat said on a podcast like 3 months ago that he was going to not really be avoiding spoilers.

I could PM you Civil War spoilers

They would cut the video if it ever got that bad, and he didn't need to be like 40 levels above normal to avoid that anyway, most souls veterans wouldn't have that problem.

Then why do people bust his balls for being over-leveled?

ArjanN

Well, kinda yeah.

I feel the danger of getting caught off guard or overextending yourself and dying is a fairly large part of the experience of playing a Souls game, and Pat at this point can just stroll around and brute force every encounter by flailing around a bit which removes basically all tension.

Then why do people bust his balls for being over-leveled?
This.
Well, kinda yeah.

I feel the danger of getting caught off guard or overextending yourself and dying is a fairly large part of the experience of playing a Souls game, and Pat at this point can just stroll around and brute force every encounter by flailing around a bit which removes basically all tension.
And now bosses are easier because the amount of hits they take to get killed are lowered.

KdylanR92

What???? People have problems with how the best friends are playing a Souls game?????

This has never happened before..... Surely there aren't 2 other playthroughs they can reference to see how shit their fans handle them playing souls games, no no no of course not.

It sure was a great idea to let the fans decide how you wanted to do your first LP of the game.

Learning the game at your own pace, then doing a LP where you could tell your audience interesting things about a area, show off cool weapons and armor, hell you probably even know some interesting lore....

But no. Let's slowly fumble thru the game, pick maybe 1 or 2 weapons and basically take everything in the game at face value because you don't have time to sit and look at things because you have an audience to entertain.

Oh the fans don't want them to grind? [even though that's the only way to get certain armor and weapons]. Wait, what? You're overleveled from all the grinding you had to do to get that armor? Well now that just won't do.. the people that wanted a blind LP want to see them have as much trouble as they did in their first playthroughs.......with no one watching.

Skrams

I mean, they decided it would be a blind LP months and months ago. People keep chalking it up to fan pressure, but I don't know if that's really all to blame.
He has like every weapon upgraded tho. He's grinding out shards too
Then throwing himself off a cliff is probably the better solution like I said if he is already getting all of his weapons to +4 or whatever titanite appropriate area he's at.
Stuff with Liam? I like all of them to some extent, I just fall off of the ones that aren't perfect. Can't expect perfect all the time I suppose.
Yep, Liam is always a favorite for me in LPs. Him being actually good at games is always a winner for me.

This.
And now bosses are easier because the amount of hits they take to get killed are lowered.

That feels like a poor argument in the face of gimmicks like the Abyss Watchers. Having the health to tank a few more hits and the strength to land a few more doesn't feel like it would cut a boss fight's length by a significant margin.

The best part so far is Pat's Totally Correct Tour of Dark Souls' Famous Landmarks and People of Interest

Mik317

just let them play the game the way they want to.

This idea that there is one way to do things is silly. There are a shitton of LPs for DS3...I am sure you can find one that works for you.

Not to mention he has been getting wrecked in recent episodes so its not like overlevling changed that either.

I'm still enjoying the Souls LP, and it's still pulling down double the numbers of most of their content and triple that of stuff like Woolie's Reboot, so I'm pretty sure they aren't overly chuffed.

Pat's probably playing with a 360 pad, eh? I have the same shit happen where every time I try to cycle usable items I swap my shield slot item. Dat shitty D-Pad, baby.

Jamie OD

It's clear Pat loves the game. I can't blame him for going nuts with over leveling if he's intentionally holding back from progressing through the game for the LP. If he really wants to play it but stay "blind" then what can you do?

Souls community being so bad nowadays only hurts because in like 2011-12 it was awesome, tons of helpful people who just loved the game.

Basically. The community went from, "These games are actually really awesome, but kind of obtuse. Let me help you get started so you can enjoy them," to "You aren't supposed to be able to find things, casual, git gud or git gone."

The original community was about people coming together to help each other: to figure out the nearly indecipherable lore, to puzzle through the poorly-documented mechanics, or just to help new players figure out where to go when one of the worst examples of early level design in a game funneled thousands of hopeless would-be players into Skeleton Holocaust Zone and would have otherwise caused them to drop the game in frustration.

The modern community is all about telling people off for wanting to experience the games in anything but the most adverse conditions and trying to make everything harder than it has to be.

Jintor

i still don't think skeleton holocaust zone was that bad. the game does pretty much everything short of blocking off the path to say "Hey, dude. Maybe come back later."

Top Bottom