• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

I like that she takes time to knock the milk out of the bottom of the fridge. Like, "Fuck, I won't fit in this fridge if there's a carton of milk in here, too!"

Strimei

After having seen three separate playthroughs of Heavy Rain (after having done my own)

I still really like this game.

I think it is rather dumb but it has a charm to it I found lacking in BTS. Heavy Rain probably is my favorite of the sadness trilogy, all the same.

(Indigo Prophecy has that insane angle though that gives it its own whacky charm)

Oh maaaan that frame rate.

I'm a huge fan, Miss Paige. I really liked the part of your book where you dreamed that a bunch of men assaulted you in your apartment, which you decided to write in this biographical work, for some reason.

You're kind of a fucking weirdo, Miss Paige.

Haunted glasses aren't very threatening. Just take off the glasses Blake.
Not threatening? Dude, with haunted glasses those fbi ghosts are right up in your eyes! They'll be having weird spooky ghost withdrawals in front of you and can't look away. Shit's super scary.

Not threatening? Dude, with haunted glasses those fbi ghosts are right up in your eyes! They'll be having weird spooky ghost withdrawals in front of you and can't look away. Shit's super scary.

Plus, it's the terrifying ghost of a convicted serial killer who used to strangle children in their own cribs while--

Oh wait, it's the ghost of a cop who was actually a pretty good cop and didn't even shoot suspects who tried to murder him? I guess he might lecture you about traffic violations, or something.

sjay1994

I remember not having any trouble with that section. Weird.

With the amount of trouble they had with some of the motions, and the fact the streams both started with the game bugging out, I think the ps4 port is fucked.

Cuz I also don't remember running into as many problems as they did on the PS3 version.

Plus, it's the terrifying ghost of a convicted serial killer who used to strangle children in their own cribs while--

Oh wait, it's the ghost of a cop who was actually a pretty good cop and didn't even shoot suspects who tried to murder him? I guess he might lecture you about traffic violations, or something.
Yeah, but I imagine he'd be really passive-aggressive about it though. That or vocally complain about what you're doing but not actually do anything about it.

Yeah, but I imagine he'd be really passive-aggressive about it though. That or vocally complain about what you're doing but not actually do anything about it.

"I've returned from beyond the grave to haaaaaaunt you!"
"Really? I've got to be honest: I never thought we were that close. You're more of an work acquaintance, frankly. Haunting feels like an ex-boyfriend kind of deal, minimum."
"I'm going to be honest, too: I didn't have a lot going on in my life. I have some internet friends but I'm not sure where they actually are to haunt them."
"I guess you can sit on my forehead while I watch the game, but no haunting when I have guests, okay? I don't like bringing people from work into my circle of friends."
"Cool. Also: boooooooo."

"I've returned from beyond the grave to haaaaaaunt you!"
"Really? I've got to be honest: I never thought we were that close. You're more of an work acquaintance, frankly. Haunting feels like an ex-boyfriend kind of deal, minimum."
"I'm going to be honest, too: I didn't have a lot going on in my life. I have some internet friends but I'm not sure where they actually are to haunt them."
"I guess you can sit on my forehead while I watch the game, but no haunting when I have guests, okay? I don't like bringing people from work into my circle of friends."
"Cool. Also: boooooooo."
Why does this sound like it could be from a really wierd/bad sitcom?

Random question, does anyone know the video (might be a scrublords?) where there's a cut to the Fighterpedia intro.

Instead of the normal intro, its a parody of itself by saying something like:
"Everyone rumored.
No one watched.
But now you see.
It sucked!"

I know it was done by the best friends but I don't remember which video had it.

Random question, does anyone know the video (might be a scrublords?) where there's a cut to the Fighterpedia intro.

Instead of the normal intro, its a parody of itself by saying something like:
"Everyone rumored.
No one watched.
But now you see.
It sucked!"

I know it was done by the best friends but I don't remember which video had it.
Anarchy reigns brawl maybe?

So I just saw the car shredder part and what was Woolie actually suppsoed to do there? What movement was that prompt trying to get him to make?

Zocano

So I just saw the car shredder part and what was Woolie actually suppsoed to do there? What movement was that prompt trying to get him to make?

Rotate the controller from a flat position along the y-axis (z being vertical and x being the actual length of the controller). Basically lift your left hand while keeping your right hand as the pivot point.

I remember not having any real issues with SIXAXIS, honestly. It might be a PS4 port issue since that has been brought up by them and Strimei in this thread.

Rotate the controller from a flat position along the y-axis (z being vertical and x being the actual length of the controller). Basically lift your left hand while keeping your right hand as the pivot point.

I remember not having any real issues with SIXAXIS, honestly. It might be a PS4 port issue since that has been brought up by them and Strimei in this thread.
I havent played it, but I did watch a friend play through it is on PS3 and she had no problems. So yeah, it probably is a port issue.

Matsukaze

Chasing Dead Part 3 -

Just when I thought this game could not be even more baffling...

Wolves and tigers colluding with undead-mutants

Thank you, Liam and Matt, for these laughs. This LP is far more entertaining than I had anticipated.

So, do you guys agree with Pat that the health drain ability of the jailkeepers in Iriythll Dungeon is worse than Frenzy in Bloodborne?

I don't think thats true, cause if theres a wall between you and the jailkeepers, you don't lose health, whereas Frenzy will build to max if you look at those things for more than one second, even if you go behind a wall.

And the Dungeon is all close areas, while Nightmare Frontier is wide open so it's harder to move in close to kill the brain things

So, do you guys agree with Pat that the health drain ability of the jailkeepers in Iriythll Dungeon is worse than Frenzy in Bloodborne?

I don't think thats true, cause if theres a wall between you and the jailkeepers, you don't lose health, whereas Frenzy will build to max if you look at those things for more than one second, even if you go behind a wall.

And the Dungeon is all close areas, while Nightmare Frontier is wide open so it's harder to move in close to kill the brain things

I think the Jailkeepers are worse when you also consider the amazing magnetic horseshit on their hot poker nudge attack.

Like, we're talking some Pursuer impale attack levels of "Fuck it, just teleport the player from across the zone back into the path of the attack if it misses, I ain't bothering with this shit."

Pat might not see it since he's using the Milkring, though. I think the extra iFrames should be enough to avoid getting drawn in by the vortex of bullshit.

MrHoot

Mechanically i'd say it's true but they're no way as threatening to me as the winter lanterns in bloodborne, because they can be dealt with extremely easily (and in pack are mostly an annoyance). If they were paired with a really dangerous enemy then yeah i'd be on my toes

The winter lanterns have this horrifying grab attack with a bit of super armor on it in addition to frenzy which goes on even after their death unless you have a sedative. Plus they're just all around more creepy

Matsukaze

Personally, I thought the Winter Lanterns were worse. The Lanterns - and Frenzy in general - stayed consistently menacing to me. On the other hand, once I realized the Dungeon layout offered me plenty of chances to escape the draining attack, the Jailers didn't really seem as nasty.

Squishy3

Plus you can just yolo kill them and wait for the empty part to come back and then go after the next jailer.

The only really menacing part of the jailers is the procession of like 8 at the bottom of the dungeon.

Plus you can just yolo kill them and wait for the empty part to come back and then go after the next jailer.

The only really menacing part of the jailers is the procession of like 8 at the bottom of the dungeon.

Yeah.

I mean, sure, one Winter Lantern is more intimidating that one Jailer, but you never see more than two Lanterns together, whereas with the Jailers...

This all aside, the Jailers aren't supposed to be Winter Lanterns of the game, anyway. They're supposed to be the Mindflayers.

Strimei

I don't have personal experience with Bloodborne (gonna buy a PS4 someday) so I can only base things off what I saw from videos. Frenzy has that annoying sudden burst and seems to build up really quick, but I honestly HATE the health-drain of the jailers. For one, I don't think its readily apparent what is doing it right away, whereas at least with Frenzy you see the gauge fill, if nothing else. I believe you can immediately heal yourself after Frenzy procs, too, right? Whereas with the health drain, you're waiting for like up to 20 seconds before your healthbar expands again.

And the jailers have that really annoying poker technique. So, at least from my experience, I loathe the jailers and the health drain.

Speaking of the jailers, I also hate the dungeon in general, though I get a kick out of the jumpscare-screams. They're cheap, but I love how they get me every time. Even when I know they're coming, I jump. And my first time there, I actually legit screamed out loud (I was wearing headphones and it just sounded like the screaming was right there)

Oh and speaking of, I loved their reaction to the first screamer.

I don't have personal experience with Bloodborne (gonna buy a PS4 someday) so I can only base things off what I saw from videos. Frenzy has that annoying sudden burst and seems to build up really quick, but I honestly HATE the health-drain of the jailers. For one, I don't think its readily apparent what is doing it right away, whereas at least with Frenzy you see the gauge fill, if nothing else. I believe you can immediately heal yourself after Frenzy procs, too, right? Whereas with the health drain, you're waiting for like up to 20 seconds before your healthbar expands again.

You can heal immediately, can remove the status before it procs with Sedative, can wear equipment to get a longer Frenzy bar, and can actually iFrame out of the damage from the activation, yeah.

I suppose one of the most annoying things about the Jailers is that if you try to engage them directly you just take that damage. No resistance checked against, no item that prevents it, no status warning timer that gives you just barely enough time to deal with them before you start losing life. You just start losing life, and the question is just how much you're losing.

That's definitely "feel bad" for the player. You never want them to be taking damage if they didn't do anything wrong, and can't do anything about it. It actually plays into another relatively minor game feel gripe I have about DS3, which is they seem to have obsessively set about to make sure that almost every mandatory "fall" in the game is just a high enough drop to make sure you take a little damage.

No, it doesn't matter much, the damage is trivial, but it's just one of those little things your players will quietly resent and enjoy the game less because of.

MrHoot

And i mean, winter lanterns look like this

latest

And they sing creepy lullabies

2spook

Strimei

This chasing dead LP. I can't tell if the audio is desynched or if it's just the game being bad amazing.

I think its desynched. Audio's a good five seconds ahead of the video.

...could still be the game being horrible though. Speaking of, good lord that rage mode hurt my eyes.

Matt and Liam play a bad game and treat it like their old jobs.
Pat and Woolie play a bad game and treat it like a podcast.

They tried to bug-test Minecraft Story Mode. That thing's ironclad, man. You'd be surprised at how few bugs you can have when there's no gameplay.

Top Bottom