• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

KRaZyAmmo

From captain america plot twist thread
7Gz4agD.jpg

I think it would have to be, "I was always back in." Then just put a Naruto headband on hm.

Speaking of that, I'm catching up on podcasts and Woolie being like "Apparently the storm games are the best way to catch up" was the most "its about fucking time" thing I've heard in a while.

Seriously, if you dont wanna deal with the mostly terrible animation and horrible pacing and don't mind missing out on bits of character development, the Storm games are the best way to quickly catch up (besides maybe reading the manga tho idk)

Speaking of that, I'm catching up on podcasts and Woolie being like "Apparently the storm games are the best way to catch up" was the most "its about fucking time" thing I've heard in a while.

Seriously, if you dont wanna deal with the mostly terrible animation and horrible pacing and don't mind missing out on bits of character development, the Storm games are the best way to quickly catch up (besides maybe reading the manga tho idk)

Yeah, and the Storm games aren't even that bad as games themselves. They aren't going to replace your SFs and KOFs if you're a hardcore fighting game player, but they're perfectly reasonable for setting up a Fisticuffs style romp with your friends.

Strimei

DXHR part 30 also went up at the same time as DS3 part 30. Good job Pat!

Speaking of good jobs, Pat gets Durst'd quite a bit.

Did anyone actually have trouble with DS3 boss
Nameless King?
or is Pat just bad?

I only died once to him, and I was using the Dragonslayer Spear, which he's apparently resistant to. He didn't see too hard if you just press O

Edzi

Nameless King?
or is Pat just bad?

I only died once to him, and I was using the Dragonslayer Spear, which he's apparently resistant to. He didn't see too hard if you just press O

He was considered one of the hardest bosses in the game from what I've read in the various DS3 threads, but yeah, he's not too bad if you're good at dodging (then again, nothing is hard in those games if you're good at dodging).

Nameless King?
or is Pat just bad?

Most of the ratings I've seen among normal players put him as the hardest boss in the game, or at least in the top three (along with Swordpope and the final boss).

Among speedrunners doing All Bosses and people trying to do the 0 Hit run he isn't generally considered that bad, though. The sheer amount of health you have to blow through is punishing for normal players, but he doesn't have any moves that are super hard to dodge, and he doesn't have the tendency some bosses have to go into Infinite Nonstop Attack Mode when their AI gets triggered.

Edit: Pat's also still using the Bloodring, it looks like, which isn't actually super useful on that boss and causes him to take stupid huge amounts of damage from both the firebreath in Phase 1 and the lightning-charged hits in Phase 3.

Xux

Nameless King?
or is Pat just bad?

I'm at 10 or so attempts on him. I kinda burnt out after beating the final boss. l dunno when I'll go back.

Matsukaze

He was considered one of the hardest bosses in the game from what I've read in the various DS3 threads, but yeah, he's not too bad if you're good at dodging (then again, nothing is hard in those games if you're good at dodging).
Exactly this. He'll fuck your day up if you don't have a sense of his attacks' range (which I myself learned a few times), but once you have it down, you can roll circles around him and he really can't do shit about it.

Edit: Pat's also still using the Bloodring, it looks like, which isn't actually super useful on that boss and causes him to take stupid huge amounts of damage from both the firebreath in Phase 1 and the lightning-charged hits in Phase 3.
Yeah, his hugeness isn't compensating for how much raw damage he's taking with that thing.

Do other Souls players completely ignore elemental resists for bosses or is that just a Pat thing?

I imagine the serious players test out various resins and buffs on bosses, but I usually just ignore it unless I actually start to struggle against something.

I imagine the serious players test out various resins and buffs on bosses, but I usually just ignore it unless I actually start to struggle against something.

I mean defensive gear. Like he's fighting a boss that clearly is lightning, and he doesn't even put on the lightning resist ring, or switch his armor to something a little more helpful.

Strimei

Nameless King?
or is Pat just bad?

I recall another streamer I watch (Demo) dying to him quite a few times, though I don't think nearly as much as he did to Champion Gundyr.

I mean defensive gear. Like he's fighting a boss that clearly is lightning, and he doesn't even put on the lightning resist ring, or switch his armor to something a little more helpful.

I've not really seen many people wear armor with better resist. Usually its fashion over function.

Do other Souls players completely ignore elemental resists for bosses or is that just a Pat thing?

I didn't use them too heavily on NG, but now that I'm up to NG+6 I'm pretty much in love with the Stoneplates. +20% damage resistance to a given element is just huge for fights like this one, Aldrich, etc.

MrHoot

Well in DS3, armor resistance, similar to poise or actual defense stat, is so negligible that it doesn't really matter to be honest. Even with great lightning resist it would only take out a fraction of the total damage. And Nameless can still wreck you with two hits if he so desires.

Armor in DS3 has a purely cosmetic role at this point. The stats matter so little it's baffling

Well in DS3, armor resistance, similar to poise or actual defense stat, is so negligible that it doesn't really matter to be honest. Even with great lightning resist it would only take out a fraction of the total damage. And Nameless can still wreck you with two hits if he so desires.

Armor in DS3 has a purely cosmetic role at this point. The stats matter so little it's baffling

People get confused about this because of the way Resistances worked in previous games.

Absorption isn't a flat reduction. It's a percentage reduction. I can get >45% Slash Absorption if I wear Gundyr's set with a Ring of Steel Protection +2. That's not "negligible", that's nearly halving that damage, and the other physical damage types are still in the ~40% range with that setup.

Matsukaze

After hearing Pat talking about pillars being LP poison with spy, i find more this to be very unlikely. God I hope it's true though.
Didn't Pat say something similar when he was playing through Baldur's Gate? Basically, that it's a terrific game that he could not imagine in a thousand years making for a successful LP? I know he said that about Nocturne, although that's a bird of a different feather.

That's pretty much why I'm stumped about Liam's teaser - my mind processes the clue one way (and one way only, honestly) and my gut tells me there's no chance, no matter how cool I think it would be.

I doubt they're doing Planescape for an LP. That would just be awful I feel.

I'd still watch it tho.

Edit: Also it says long-requested? Who has requested it?

Strimei

I doubt they're doing Planescape for an LP. That would just be awful I feel.

I'd still watch it tho.

Edit: Also it says long-requested? Who has requested it?

I do recall hearing at some point in the past that Planescape was highly requested for some reason. But maybe I'm just imagining it?

Uh, is the Dues Ex LP doing quests I've never seen before? I thought after finding the arm you go to the port to set the explosive on the desk, then get on the ship.

Also this week's Jojo was fucking good.

Strimei

Uh, is the Dues Ex LP doing quests I've never seen before? I thought after finding the arm you go to the port to set the explosive on the desk, then get on the ship.

Matt mentions that this is from one of the DLC (the Tracer Tong side mission thing).

edit: Man, Pat is simply not good at hacking. It'd also probably help if he actually invested some points in the augs for hacking. I mean, 40% detection rate on level 1 nodes...

Shackzam

Did any of them see the new tmnt? It's way better then the first one (which isn't saying much), but was wondering if any of them went to go see it.

Top Bottom