• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

What the fuck there's another one?!

They talked about it on the podcast because it has the same name as the XBLA game that came out a few years ago, Out of the Shadows.

I only remember seeing Beebop and Rocksteady and being impressed with the designs, but I've been fooled by one too many Bay movies to really get invested in the TMNT shit.

Well in DS3, armor resistance, similar to poise or actual defense stat, is so negligible that it doesn't really matter to be honest. Even with great lightning resist it would only take out a fraction of the total damage. And Nameless can still wreck you with two hits if he so desires.

Armor in DS3 has a purely cosmetic role at this point. The stats matter so little it's baffling

Well actually absorption does work as intended, 20 absorption is about 20% damage reduction. The trick is that the heaviest armor will only get you to like 35 absorption max, while light armor gets you around 17-20. The difference doesn't make heavier armor viable.
If you use bug pellets you get another like 9 absorption too, but it doesn't add up to a ton.

Poise's actual function was recently discovered and it's a secret "iframe healthbar" system that poise defends against. If that doesn't make any sense, I don't blame you.
I might be alone, but I really like the Deus Ex playthrough.

Good mix of comedy and knowledge.

To be frank it's the first LP in a long time I'm enjoying.

One thing's for sure I'm happy at all these weapon changes throughout the playthrough.

However, for whatever reason everyone's eyesight is just deteriorating the far along we go... It's like their own brand of hollowing...

Strimei

I have to echo Pat about Iron Pineapple. I stumbled upon his videos some time back and the guy is amazing. He did that Kirk Fan Club video and the Shrek defends his swamp, and so forth.

Anyway, Pat's reaction to the Dragonslayer Armour was great. Transfixed by the Pilgrim Butterfly and almost pounded into mush right off the bat. Kind of a pity the Butterflies aren't more involved, but I guess its kinda hard to fight one without it being lame (as the Moonlight Butterfly from 1 attests). Also when I did this fight, the frame rate was ATROCIOUS. I somehow beat it with things going at like 3 fps.

Also god I hate the Grand Archives with that Crystal Sage.

Mat-triX

I might be alone, but I really like the Deus Ex playthrough.

Good mix of comedy and knowledge.
To be frank it's the first LP in a long time I'm enjoying.

I wish I could enjoy the LP like you guys, but since I've played the game multiple times recently, their incompetence is driving me up the wall.

The bits of trivia from Matt is nice, but there's only so much of that there. The fact that both forget a lot about the game - and even between play sessions - makes the watch un-enjoyable to me. All Pat does is run up to people, melees them, and maybe shoots his Pistol if he didn't die every few seconds to then reload one of his 50 saves.

Not a fan.

Matsukaze

Woolie mentioned in one of the streams that he expects Dark Souls 1 will be an LP, but that he personally sees it as an "In Case of Emergency: Break Glass" type of thing. He also said the same thing about RE5 for Matt and Pat, though, and everyone knows that's just a matter of time, so who knows.

I wish I could enjoy the LP like you guys, but since I've played the game multiple times recently, their incompetence is driving me up the wall.

The bits of trivia from Matt is nice, but there's only so much of that there. The fact that both forget a lot about the game - and even between play sessions - makes the watch un-enjoyable to me. All Pat does is run up to people, melees them, and maybe shoots his Pistol if he didn't die every few seconds to then reload one of his 50 saves.

Not a fan.
Part of my enjoyment is that I haven't played the game in a few years, and all your points are correct, but I am still having a good time with it.

Skrams

Major problem for LPs like HR is that they're just a solid game that just kind of goes for a while. I don't really feel like they can add much through the gameplay or dialogue. Not a ton to talk about too after 30 episodes. Just one of those times I'd rather have something shorter and sweeter. If HR was a shorter game then I'd probably have no problem.

Rutti

I only played HR once like 4 years ago so this playthrough has been a good reminder for Mankind Divided. It is bit too long but I usually play with my phone and keep the playthrough as background noise, when there isn't much going on.

Edzi

Part 34 is the final episode. I just got done watching it on Vessel and it was great. I wouldn't be surprised if tears of joy slid down Pat's cheek as he fought the final boss.

That boss is a weirdly emotional experience for those of us who have played the whole series. It really was the perfect way to end it all.

zeemumu

How many more episodes left for DS3? I'm guessing 2, no more than 3?

2 seems about right. Even if it takes them a eternity for either of the bosses left, they'll edit down the attempts. Pat's one gauntlet of terror away from the final Lord of Cinder

Part 34 is the final episode. I just got done watching it on Vessel and it was great. I wouldn't be surprised if tears of joy slid down Pat's cheek as he fought the final boss.

Ah, gotcha.

Strimei

Homeward boned in front of the shortcut again....

Pat's vision is amazing.

He pulls a switch causing the door to his immediate right to move, complete with rumbling right next to him, and he looks in EVERY other direction (and even goes down a different hallway) before seeing it.

And then he misses the obvious ladder several times. Oh lord.

BossRush

So I'm list3ning to this stuff about th3 r3boot thing on th3 podcast and all I can think of is Cod3 Lyoko.

Oh h3 litrally said Cod3 Lyoko.

Strimei

Listening to the latest podcast, since Pat said that any guess he's seen about the LP Liam was teasing has not been correct, guess that means its not Planescape: Torment. Now I'm curious.

Matsukaze

Listening to the latest podcast, since Pat said that any guess he's seen about the LP Liam was teasing has not been correct, guess that means its not Planescape: Torment. Now I'm curious.
I still need to finish last week's. I knew in my heart it couldn't possibly be Planescape, but I'll be damned if I can think of a good answer.

Did Pat or Liam say how soon we can expect the new LP? Cuz looking at the line-up, I'm not motivated enough to watch Deus Ex until I can marathon it to the finish from where I left off, I don't feel particularly interested in Star Fox (it'll probably be a fine LP, but still), and Twilight Princess is just not my cup of tea.

Woolie: "We've not yet reached the Dragon's Aerie."

I don't know, Woolie. I think Archdragon Peak, the high mountaintop zone surrounded by clouds with dragons flying around, with the optional boss of roughly comparable strength to the main boss, might have just been the Dragon's Aerie of this game.

Edzi

I don't know, Woolie. I think Archdragon Peak, the high mountaintop zone surrounded by clouds with dragons flying around, with the optional boss of roughly comparable strength to the main boss, might have just been the Dragon's Aerie of this game.

I can't help feeling like the order Woolie played these games has seriously hurt his potential enjoyment of them.

lome88

I can't help feeling like the order Woolie played these games has seriously hurt his potential enjoyment of them.

I don't think so. If anything, they'll go up from here. I wish I started with DS 2 and got to experience the series over again differently. The let down wouldn't be quite so hard when I get to Majula.

Jabronium

Yeah. I've been enjoying this LP somewhat but that was something else.

I was hoping they would do one more episode to clear up any loose ends but oh well.

As always with these playthroughs, there are some good moments, a lot of bad moments, a few HYPE moments, and plenty of salty johns, but in the end it was an amazing adventure and probably the best one to date.

Looking forward to do this all again when the DLC pops... Probably at the end of the year or something.

P.S - The Outrider Armor was the fucking coolest to end the game on.

Man I'm almost disappointed Pat had such an easy time with those two bosses.

Love that you can hear how happy he was with the final boss though.

He made up for it by fighting both of them pretty slowly and for a long time on his first goes, I think.

Like, he basically saw the entire moveset of the second one on his first attempt alone.

Breads

Banned
Pat said he liked DS3 more than Bloodborne.

That hit me in an unexpected way.

It made me realize just how much more I enjoyed Bloodborne over DS3.

Pat said he liked DS3 more than Bloodborne.

That hit me in an unexpected way.

It made me realize just how much more I enjoyed Bloodborne over DS3.

DS3 was practically sniper-targeted at Pat. The way he was marking out hardcore over every DS1/DS2 reference he came across? He's the guy those were there for. You compare it to, say, ENB who's constantly saying, "I hope there's more too this than just a callback to DS1..." when he finds those bits, and you really see that Pat was completely the target audience.

He's also been spending a ton of time with the PvP, so that probably factors in heavily to his preferences.

Top Bottom