• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Woolie raises an interesting lore question that most of the time probably has no remotely good answer:

Who is the fucking asshole making all these illusory walls?

Matsukaze

Chasing Dead Part 6 -

Holy shit at Liam
getting killed while a cutscene played
. I could not stop laughing when that happened. And then the boss fight was just delightful. This game continues to be wonderful for all the wrong reasons.

Xux

Is it bad that I get anxious thinking about going to a con, getting in line for a Q&A, and just coming off like a total dick?

Numb

I'm not even kidding here, whether or not I buy Overwatch hinges on how hype the Best Friends are for it in this week's podcast.

bought it today not having played or been interested in an FPS since BLOPS 1

hhh-not-bad-o.gif

194.gif

Xater

Someone has to be that guy because it comes up so often with the SBF and it's going to be me: JoJo sucks.

It's probably the worst written Manga I have ever read. All it has going for it is some interesting character designs. It just reeks of someone having no clue what to do and just throwing shit at the wall. It's not planned weirdness but just pure inability to write anything decent. I have read up to the beginning of Stardust Crusaders to understand, but no it just sucks.

Someone has to be that guy because it comes up so often with the SBF and it's going to be me: JoJo sucks.

It's probably the worst written Manga I have ever read. All it has going for it is some interesting character designs. It just reeks of someone having no clue what to do and just throwing shit at the wall. It's not planned weirdness but just pure inability to write anything decent. I have read up to the beginning of Stardust Crusaders to understand, but no it just sucks.

News flash: Not every anime needs to have some deep meaning or touching story. Anime can be stupid and silly.

*JoJo shit talking*
OaSKBcE.jpg

JoJo sucks.

I have read up to the beginning of Stardust Crusaders to understand, but no it just sucks.

Oh, okay I'm with you to a degree. The thing is, it starts off as a Fist of the North Star derivative, and grows into it's own. Stardust is that adolescent period where Araki starts playing around with ideas, but it dosen't coalesce into what people really identify as JoJo until they get to Egypt. Part 4 is when it really starts going.

Geez, Blizzard's making so much money off these easy marks (aka Pat and Woolie) who clearly have no experience with microtransaction games...

Well, Pat does, but he's crazy.

Nothing wrong with paying for something you enjoy. Just don't go hungry or homeless doing it.

You don't buy-in on a game like this the week it's out.

You play it for a few weeks to get an idea of how much you actually need to spend to get what you want based on what you're going to get for free, and to get a better sense of what the content release schedule's going to be.

Otherwise if you're like Pat and spend $250 and also play entirely too much, you end up with hundreds of dollars of FunBucks you can't spend because you already needlessly bought everything with real money. (Which will also causes you to lose enthusiasm for continuing to play, because one of your motivators in the reward scheme has been effectively removed.)

Weird how they actually struggled on Oceiros. He was I think the only boss I beat first try, or maybe I was just lucky. Pretty much all of the DS3 bosses seemed generally easier than bosses in say, DS1

zethren

Banned
I think there was a 4 hour podcast before.

Yeah I think it was a few months back, when they had the voice actor for Necalli as a guest for a bit of the episode.

But yeah holy shit at the boxes lol.
I don't blame him. I had a real addiction to cracking magic the gathering packs for years. Basically the same thing.

Strimei

DS3 part 28:
Untended Graves
is one of my favorite areas because its so creepy and unsettling. And with my favorite boss of the game, too.
Champion Gundyr is such an awesome rematch

You don't buy-in on a game like this the week it's out.

You play it for a few weeks to get an idea of how much you actually need to spend to get what you want based on what you're going to get for free, and to get a better sense of what the content release schedule's going to be.

Otherwise if you're like Pat and spend $250 and also play entirely too much, you end up with hundreds of dollars of FunBucks you can't spend because you already needlessly bought everything with real money. (Which will also causes you to lose enthusiasm for continuing to play, because one of your motivators in the reward scheme has been effectively removed.)

Where is there a law that says you can't do that?

I mean sure, if the ONLY way to get skins and etc in the game was via RNG box luck then yes that would be pretty stupid, but the fact that you get currency alongside even more for duplicates means that all future cosmetics that they release will be immediately obtainable by those that choose to buy in like this. As far as I know, the level cap is 100 so at the most you'll only be able to get 100 boxes and from that point on you must buy. I do think that Pat went a wee bit overboard but hey, it's his money.

Oceiros was doing a ton of damage, I think the Carthus Bloodring wasn't doing them any favors (makes you take 15% more damage).

You might have been using a Bleed weapon, too. Oceiros seems to have a case of hemophilia.

Basically, if you can pile enough damage onto him once he goes cray-cray to stagger him he goes down fast. If you don't get the stagger, you risk having him go into a cycle of continuous strafing runs with his dash/flying crystal breathe that can make life pretty rough.

Edit: Vidula, there's no level cap. You just get a fancier border every 100 levels.

Matsukaze

Weird how they actually struggled on Oceiros. He was I think the only boss I beat first try, or maybe I was just lucky. Pretty much all of the DS3 bosses seemed generally easier than bosses in say, DS1
Oceiros killed me a few times (one of which was a result of me panicking when the low power notice popped up for my controller) before I got him.
It was mostly me being a dummy and underestimating his reaction speed.

DS3 part 28:
Untended Graves
is one of my favorite areas because its so creepy and unsettling. And with my favorite boss of the game, too.
Champion Gundyr is such an awesome rematch
When I first saw the boss, I thought to myself "Well, that's kind of a bummer. I wanted something new." But then the fight got underway and I had a change of heart.
They actually made the rematch a lot more satisfying than I expected.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, since Gundam has basically become more like Final Fantasy (standalone entries) since the early 90s.

I'm not a Gundam or comic expert but aren't there several main timelines/universes for both? I understand his complaint, but his application seems inconsistent.

Edit: Going off the gundam wikia there's a 'Universal Century' which has gone on and off from the 70s until this year through various shows, OVAs, movies, and specials. But at the same time it lists 9 other tangent timelines.

Pat's contention seems to be that having someone who wasn't the original creator of a character write that character is "wrong", which doesn't seem like it's that big of a problem with Gundam (disclaimer: I am not a Gundam expert). That's why he's okay with different people writing Final Fantasy 6 and Final Fantasy 7, but not really okay with different people writing Final Fantasy 7 and Dissidia.

That, from what I can tell, is his working definition of "fan fiction": when anyone other than the original author writes new content for a character.

Xux

Pat's contention seems to be that having someone who wasn't the original creator of a character write that character is "wrong", which doesn't seem like it's that big of a problem with Gundam (disclaimer: I am not a Gundam expert). That's why he's okay with different people writing Final Fantasy 6 and Final Fantasy 7, but not really okay with different people writing Final Fantasy 7 and Dissidia.

That, from what I can tell, is his working definition of "fan fiction": when anyone other than the original author writes new content for a character.
Huh, I remember reading someone tweet something very similar in the past couple days; did someone on Giant Bomb or something say it?

Top Bottom