• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

So you might not notice if you just use mobile, but make sure to like and share this dumpster fire of a thread with your Facebook friends....

Only one likes this thread right now. Sounds about right yep

zeemumu

It's weird listening to them talk about the Captain America comic because Matt and Liam were talking about this exact what-if scenario in one of the podcasts while discussing Winter Soldier.

DS3: Woolie's completely wrong about the one-shots, Pat's actually taking pretty excessive damage at this point in the game due to his Bloodring.

Zocano

I get angrier and angrier at this playthrough the more they get too fucking scared to miss a presumed "best/secretest" ending.

Matsukaze

Chasing Dead Part Final -

Well, the finale delivered what the game promised from the first episode - dumb horseshit. Wow was I not ready for the big reveal at the very end (and neither were Liam and Matt by the sounds of things)! I just sat there laughing and in disbelief.

This LP was super fun, though. The game itself is stunningly awful obviously but I am glad Matt and Liam forced their way through it.

Now give us the Creepy Anime Bullshit Hatoful Boyfriend LP already!

Dunno who made this, but it's perfect:
Ci29S-YUoAA9X1Y.jpg

Pat's contention seems to be that having someone who wasn't the original creator of a character write that character is "wrong", which doesn't seem like it's that big of a problem with Gundam (disclaimer: I am not a Gundam expert). That's why he's okay with different people writing Final Fantasy 6 and Final Fantasy 7, but not really okay with different people writing Final Fantasy 7 and Dissidia.

That, from what I can tell, is his working definition of "fan fiction": when anyone other than the original author writes new content for a character.
This is funny, because technically, with Gundam: The Origin and Zeta Define, which were not written by Tomino, but basically rewrite the original and Zeta Gundam, UC Gundam is now fanfiction.

Also, technically, Star Trek is technically fanfiction since TNG season 3, when Gene Roddenberry started getting super sick/old and stopped fucking over the writers... aka when Star Trek started getting good.

Loco4Coco

I was just like Matt and Woolie in where I used to avoid the show Clarence. Then one day decided to watch some episodes, now I love it.

I hope they also watched Amazing World of Gumball, that show is great too.

KRaZyAmmo

I was just like Matt and Woolie in where I used to avoid the show Clarence. Then one day decided to watch some episodes, now I love it.

I hope they also watched Amazing World of Gumball, that show is great too.
Wooo glad I'm not the only who finds amazing world of gumball great.

Also, technically, Star Trek is technically fanfiction since TNG season 3, when Gene Roddenberry started getting super sick/old and stopped fucking over the writers... aka when Star Trek started getting good.

That would only really impact the rest of TNG and a couple of cameo characters, though, since as far as I know Star Trek uses a new cast for each new series.

He does also seem to have a weird double-standard for that where the actor takes precedence over the writer in cases of specific characters in visual media. So, as long as it's Patrick Stewart I guess it's okay for anyone to write Piccard. (As pretty much has to be the case, since long-running TV shows tend to have dozens of writers...)

Boy, I'm glad I don't care about Overwatch. Hearing them talk about how much they played of it, and hearing other people who have played nothing but OW since release makes me glad I don't care either way about it

Boy I used to be with Pat that comic books are stupid, but he's really knuckled down on it while grasping for straws about why. He should really just say "I don't like it because I don't like it" instead of trying to justify it and doing a poor job of it.

Boy I used to be with Pat that comic books are stupid, but he's really knuckled down on it while grasping for straws about why. He should really just say "I don't like it because I don't like it" instead of trying to justify it and doing a poor job of it.

I mean, his reasoning isn't great, but this is like the prime time to hate comics.

Marvel keeping people on the "MCU Only" train with this Captain America and Civil War 2 tripe. DC with the whole "let's fold in these characters nonsensically to try and steal some shine and block the rights from reverting" garbage.

If you just take May 2016 in isolation, it's perfectly reasonable for everyone to hate American comic books.

Sou Da

I mean, his reasoning isn't great, but this is like the prime time to hate comics.

Marvel keeping people on the "MCU Only" train with this Captain America and Civil War 2 tripe. DC with the whole "let's fold in these characters nonsensically to try and steal some shine and block the rights from reverting" garbage.

If you just take May 2016 in isolation, it's perfectly reasonable for everyone to hate American comic books.

Are you opposed to Captain America existing? Also you say MCU-only and yet there was just an Apocalypse event for all the X-books. They always try to cash in on every movie featuring their characters. I wouldn't call it nonsensical in reference to the whole Watchmen thing.

An episode of DS3 where they find the most secret area and yet miss the only NPC.

Also

Matsukaze

I might be alone, but I really like the Deus Ex playthrough.

Good mix of comedy and knowledge.
I took a break from it with the intention of restarting when it finished. I think I stopped around Episode 15 or so. It's a fine LP; it just doesn't grab me as much as I thought it would when they first announced it.

Strimei

Its actually my favorite of the non-Dark Souls 3 LPs right now. I mean, Chasing Dead is fine but I almost get a headache from how horrible it is at times, and Zelda...I've honestly checked out long ago. May binge watch it when its done though.

DXHR though continues to amuse and entertain for me.

I took a break from it with the intention of restarting when it finished. I think I stopped around Episode 15 or so. It's a fine LP; it just doesn't grab me as much as I thought it would when they first announced it.

Yeah I kinda lost interest in it too somehow. I dunno why

I like the Twilight Princess LP because I've actually played it and I'm liking Liam's editing gags

Also has there been any Lucky Ted fanart yet

EDIT VVV Short-shaming fucker

#JusticeForShorties
#NotActuallyShort
#ShortJusticeWarrior

You're not alone. I look forward to it the most after Dark Souls right now. Chasing Dead is funny and all, but it's just them making fun of a terrible game which is basically easy mode for commentary. Meanwhile Zelda is on the other end of the spectrum of being so boring they seem to struggle to provide entertaining commentary.

Its actually my favorite of the non-Dark Souls 3 LPs right now. I mean, Chasing Dead is fine but I almost get a headache from how horrible it is at times, and Zelda...I've honestly checked out long ago. May binge watch it when its done though.

DXHR though continues to amuse and entertain for me.

I checked out of Zelda at part 20 because that's as far as I am in the HD version at the moment. It's been so long since I played it that I want my playing experience to be fresh, and I've just got so many games to play atm that it got pushed back a bit.

Probably gonna get pushed back even farther if I don't beat it before Tokyo Mirage and ZTD come out.

Are you opposed to Captain America existing?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a massive spoiler.

I'll just say that of the no doubt many film-goers who said, "I like Captain America, maybe I should check out the comics", the most recent comic probably has almost all of them saying, "I like Chris Evans. Maybe I'll just watch movies he's in."

Edit: If it's not clear what I meant by fans going "MCU-only" I mean would-be readers coming from the movies looking at the current state of the comics circa May 2016 and going "NOPE".

Strimei

Oh my god, Chasing Dead's ending is horrible.

I mean wow. I even expected it to end like that and it STILL amazed me.

edit: Oh man, the video's ending is terrific though.

Oh my god, Chasing Dead's ending is horrible.

I mean wow. I even expected it to end like that and it STILL amazed me.

edit: Oh man, the video's ending is terrific though.

Haven't watched but it's not like the beginning and middle were that great

Yeah I know, but still...three words:

To Be Continued...

Oh well maybe it's for the best that this will be concluded in a sequel that will never get made

I feel like Matt commissioned the creation of Chasing Dead (for approximately $700 CAD) purely for the sake of having channel fodder.

With the Mega64 nod as a deflection from the true masterminds

Jintor

wow patrick's insane opinions are really getting to me. jesus! i mean, fair play to him and all, but he's supppppper craaaaaaazy!

Top Bottom