• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Jamie OD

Watching the Trials of the Blood Dragon playthrough brings out the armchair gamer in me something fierce. "Lean back, lean back. No you accelerated too far. God damn it! You could have gotten that easily."

Rerecording a podcast sounds about one of the most superflacid things to do. Like I imagine them trying to recreate their initial jokes and speaking points but it losing all the authenticity.

I've got to pay attention to what happens near me more. Had no idea there was a big convention in my area, and in Oaks no less, which is less than a half an hour from me.

Though knowing that it is the Oaks convention center, I do sort of feel they are going overboard with that parking lot description, even if it is a big parking lot. That is to say, I've seen worse.

Edit: Oh yeah, praise be to Wawa.

Matsukaze

The Best Friends praising Wawas! As a Philadelphian, I say to this:

latest

Squishy3

Re: Liam's comments on Bob Evans

It's not good shit food if it doesn't make you shit

bob evans' microwavable mac and cheese is the best bad cheap food ever

Strimei

Oh god, I didn't expect more Reboot this soon.

Also loving the continued talk of Haruhi. Endless Eight did leave me feeling about as dead as Woolie is in this, thinking back.

edit: This LP is going places.
Like inside Goku's and Vegeta's bedrooms.

Squishy3

I hate Bob Evans. Their omelets compared to Denny's or IHop aren't that good.
Eh, most sit down restaurant places that offer breakfast aren't particularly great period though. I'm not an omelet person tho, if I go get breakfast at one I'll typically go for steak and eggs or pancakes/waffles

Strimei

The Best Friends praising Wawas! As a Philadelphian, I say to this:

latest

One of the things I was most excited about when it came to moving to Delaware (northern portion, not slower) was all the Wawas. I love them.

edit: Damn it, I had no idea that con took place in King of Prussia. I was driving through there today! I should've gone...maybe next year.

lome88

I like how the zaibatsu think not listening to the game's audio and sound direction is crazy because I think so too.

It really depends on the game and what I'm doing at that moment in the game. Most times? I have my headphones on, focused in on the environment listening for sound cues. But when it comes to grinding for EXP or, in those insane AC side objectives like collecting treasure chests and stuff, I'd just put something on netflix to the side.

Most times the game audio helps way more than any minimap could. I played most of the Witcher 3 with the minimap off because the game does a really good job of letting you know when danger is around the corner. Just turn Witcher senses on before you head into a new location, scan around looking for those sound waves and listen for some growling or thumping. It's really clever.

hupla

As a filthy Torontonian (in the eyes of the Super Best Jerkwads), I would also like to shower accolades on Wawa. I wish we could get a cool place like that up here.

Their hatred of Toronto is always so bizarre to me. I love both cities (lived in Toronto all my life go to Montreal once a year) and didnt realize there was such a beef and there problems with toronto seem so weird.

explodet

I could feel the salt pouring out of my headphones.

Their hatred of Toronto is always so bizarre to me. I love both cities (lived in Toronto all my life go to Montreal once a year) and didnt realize there was such a beef and there problems with toronto seem so weird.
I'm pretty sure they don't mean it - it's just a Canada thing. Everybody is supposed to hate Toronto, especially Toronto.

I could feel the salt pouring out of my headphones.

I'm pretty sure they don't mean it - it's just a Canada thing. Everybody is supposed to hate Toronto, especially Toronto.

The problem with Toronto is that every Canadian knows that one guy from Toronto who is an insufferable prick about how things are that much better in Toronto then where they currently are.

And when that guy is in Toronto and dealing with other people from Toronto they go on about how much better there little area of Toronto is. (" oh you think this food is good here? This stuff is crap compared to the restaurants from (BLANK) . That where the real authentic stuff is served.")

If you meet this guy, you can never EVER give them the satisfaction of being right about this. Once they get that confirmation they will use that for every comparison.

Nazo

I like how they put a link to article about the Torbjorn nerf in the show notes for the podcast but never actually talked about it.

Also, I really respect and appreciate that they really go out of their way to make sure their is a podcast up every week but when you have a situation happen like with the newest episode, I wish they had just not put one up at all in this case.

I understand that having to redo the episode was probably a big kick in the balls and there was no way they could have been able to recapture the energy and enthusiasm of they day before but they basically just sandbagged the entire podcast. When you sound bored and uninterested about what you're doing the audience in turn will be bored and uninterested as well. It just makes for a poor listening experience. I would have much rather they had just forgone the podcast this week entirely and just had a longer news round up next week.

I say this not as a complaint but as constructive criticism (hopefully it comes off that way), and I hope they don't have to make the same mistake twice in the future.

I like how they put a link to article about the Torbjorn nerf in the show notes for the podcast but never actually talked about it.

Also, I really respect and appreciate that they really go out of their way to make sure their is a podcast up every week but when you have a situation happen like with the newest episode, I wish they had just not put one up at all in this case.

I understand that having to redo the episode was probably a big kick in the balls and there was no way they could have been able to recapture the energy and enthusiasm of they day before but they basically just sandbagged the entire podcast. When you sound bored and uninterested about what you're doing the audience in turn will be bored and uninterested as well. It just makes for a poor listening experience. I would have much rather they had just forgone the podcast this week entirely and just had a longer news round up next week.

I say this not as a complaint but as constructive criticism (hopefully it comes off that way), and I hope they don't have to make the same mistake twice in the future.

I don't mean to meme it up but I guess you could say... It's better than nothing.

Strimei

I don't want the guys to feel like garbage if something goes awry and they can't get the podcast out. But I have to admit, I was laughing very hard at this week's podcast, so I don't mind it there.

Jamie OD

Joke's on them 'cause I was grinding in #FE during that part!

I played through the Mass Effect trilogy while only listening to podcasts. I don't know what the soundtrack is like and as far as I'm concerned the characters all sound like the guys from Nerdist, the original Giant Bombcast and Pardon The Interruption.

Garrus is Tony Kornheiser.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I don't want the guys to feel like garbage if something goes awry and they can't get the podcast out. But I have to admit, I was laughing very hard at this week's podcast, so I don't mind it there.
Woolie before podcast flub: Woolie wearing Naruto Headband.jpeg

Woolie after: Woolie wearing Naruto card headband.jpeg

I actually really enjoyed this podcast despite the shit nature of it.

How long do we think the Blood Dragon LP is going to be? Kinda already tired of it, it's not much fun watching someone be bad at Trials, much less hearing the lines repeated over and over as they respawn.

Strimei

How long do we think the Blood Dragon LP is going to be? Kinda already tired of it, it's not much fun watching someone be bad at Trials, much less hearing the lines repeated over and over as they respawn.

I can't imagine it'll be that much longer. Hell, I'm actually surprised its not over yet. I stopped after part 1, myself, anyway. I'm just not a huge fan of the Blood Dragon stuff. I like the 80s throwback stuff, don't get me wrong (I loved GTA Vice City), but this Trials thing just feels weird and meh.

No video up for tonight so far. Anyone else bothered a little with how late/no videos have been as of late? I mean, I don't want to sound like, whiny or anything. Its just that I remember the guys used to be amazingly on the ball for videos, to the point where the first time they were late and couldn't have the 9 pm video up, even the guys (or at least Pat, I think?) were bemoaning how they had broken their perfect streak of uploads.

Now, maybe its my imagination, but it feels like we have at least one delayed/not-uploaded/uploaded in error video a week. Just bothers me a bit.

(Feel free to call me a worrywart or a whiner. Its just something that's been kinda bothering me lately)

(edit: I also feel kinda silly for bringing this up after the guys went out of their way to rerecord this week's podcast. They're hard working fellas)

(Another edit: Seems no video went up for the night slot on vessel three days ago, which does correspond with today's slot. So I imagine at least part of it is on Vessel's hands)

It's all just filler until we get back to the adventures of Lucky Ted and his lingerie clad friends
No video up for tonight so far. Anyone else bothered a little with how late/no videos have been as of late? I mean, I don't want to sound like, whiny or anything. Its just that I remember the guys used to be amazingly on the ball for videos, to the point where the first time they were late and couldn't have the 9 pm video up, even the guys (or at least Pat, I think?) were bemoaning how they had broken their perfect streak of uploads.

Now, maybe its my imagination, but it feels like we have at least one delayed/not-uploaded/uploaded in error video a week. Just bothers me a bit.

(Feel free to call me a worrywart or a whiner. Its just something that's been kinda bothering me lately)

(edit: I also feel kinda silly for bringing this up after the guys went out of their way to rerecord this week's podcast. They're hard working fellas)

(Another edit: Seems no video went up for the night slot on vessel three days ago, which does correspond with today's slot. So I imagine at least part of it is on Vessel's hands)
I also have been trying not to complain about it since I don't really have a right to, but it's like the feeling of getting a cookie from your mom every night before bed and then one time you go to her and she's got nothing for you. You don't deserve the cookie, so you don't feel right complaining that it's not there, but you still feel upset about it.

Matsukaze

I can't imagine this game can last much longer.

It's a neat little LP but it's nothing spectacular. My patience with it is now wearing thin after that announcement about the upcoming
Catherine
LP with Woolie and Matt.

I can't imagine it'll be that much longer. Hell, I'm actually surprised its not over yet. I stopped after part 1, myself, anyway. I'm just not a huge fan of the Blood Dragon stuff. I like the 80s throwback stuff, don't get me wrong (I loved GTA Vice City), but this Trials thing just feels weird and meh.

Far Cry: Blood Dragon was an excellent use of setting and style. It felt like it was firmly in the 80s style of stupid dialogue and that era's version of scifi. Played good, didn't overstay its welcome (for the most part), looked amazing, had good animation.

Comparatively, Trials has been the opposite. Trials gameplay thrives on being able to quickly repeat a particular mission to shave for that bit of time. You can't appreciate the environment if you're playing the game, unlike Far Cry. The platforming sections are just terrible and I honestly can't believe they're in there.

Story is nearly meaningless, there should have been a mode to play the missions without the dialogue. On top of that, the story in Trials isn't even that particularly good. Where Far Cry felt like it understood where the line of "too far" would be, Trials crosses it so far. Why did the kids have to be part Dragon? Also it's never even vaguely hinted at in Far Cry that the doctor is anything but human. It makes up these story ideas that don't fit in with the preexisting universe. Far Cry was just generally more entertaining anyway, to say the least of the terrible animation in Trials compared to the stylized pixel art of Far Cry.

Trials just wasn't the right game to put the Blood Dragon brand to.

Definitely Pat, I think I recall him being the person who went in to make sure the videos went up.

More than once a week, last week was a mess. It's annoying but it isn't the end of the world.

Top Bottom