• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Skrams

Two Best Friends Play DanganRonpa: Another Episode (Part 4)

Website (to come soon)

Liam (I assume) has a write up in the description detailing how to get into the series for those who are confused as all hell. Having to to homework to get into an LP seems absurd though.

Eh, people ask the same question for a lot of media that isn't immediately apparent. Where do I start? At the beginning. I'm kind of surprised the question keeps getting asked for things ranging from Berserk to Ippo to JoJo to Metal Gear to Game X to whatever.

I understand people might be annoyed that they feel the need to do homework, but also they could just not watch the LP until later. They don't need to immediately get on the train.

kewlmyc

smh Woolie.

He and/or Liam are not wrong though. If you can't play the games due to not having a Vita or PSTV, then the anime does a good job of showing the general story of the first game. That's it and it doesn't go into character backstories and the searching for evidence, but you'll know about the first game enough to enjoy this LP.

He and/or Liam are not wrong though. If you can't play the games due to not having a Vita or PSTV, then the anime does a good job of showing the general story of the first game. That's it and it doesn't go into character backstories and the searching for evidence, but you'll know about the first game enough to enjoy this LP.

I think watching/reading an LP of the game would be a better way to experience it then watching the anime.

Numb

So the anime is alright?. People keep shitting on it so i am taking it's mostly due to how much more superior the game of it is.
Only seen the anime over here. It was alright.

The anime is such trash compared to the game. Though that's normally the case of game adaptations into animes.

Anung

Un Rama
Thumbs downing videos just because you're not interested in that particular LP smh

Ahhhhh so silly people gon' be salty? I thought it might be due to people not wanting the LP for quality reasons. I'm on the fence about watching it because I have no idea what it is.

I also can't figure out why Star Fox LP is a thing.

Thumbs downing videos just because you're not interested in that particular LP smh

What other use is there for thumps up/down then? You like it, upped, you don't, downed.

As long as you're not a big dick cry baby about it I see no problem with the system.

Good recaps video for the series I got from YT comments:

D1:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2c4BZULpfU
D2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28bUAKv5ZXY

Ahhhhh so silly people gon' be salty? I thought it might be due to people not wanting the LP for quality reasons. I'm on the fence about watching it because I have no idea what it is.

I also can't figure out why Star Fox LP is a thing.

I like having it on in the background while I do other stuff. Just one of those LP's that their personalities make up for a bland game. Try it.

kewlmyc

Eh, people ask the same question for a lot of media that isn't immediately apparent. Where do I start? At the beginning. I'm kind of surprised the question keeps getting asked for things ranging from Berserk to Ippo to JoJo to Metal Gear to Game X to whatever.

I understand people might be annoyed that they feel the need to do homework, but also they could just not watch the LP until later. They don't need to immediately get on the train.

They could explain what was going on and explain character's backstories to make it easier on the audience, but they aren't. They just go "oh Toko and Genocide Jill! Love those characters" rather than saying who they are and their significance. Just small things like that would help. That and if they start remembering the previous casts names. That would be beneficial for understanding the importance to an upcoming sidequest.

This isn't a bad playthough at all, just very experimental and could use a lot of improvements.

So the anime is alright?. People keep shitting on it so i am taking it's mostly due to how much more superior the game of it is.
Only seen the anime over here. It was alright.

The anime is such trash compared to the game. Though that's normally the case of game adaptations into animes.

The anime does what it sets out to, showing the general plot of the first game to people who don't have the means to play the first game. The anime was just an advertisement for Danganronpa 1+2 Reload in Japan so it makes sense. The anime is rushed, skips investigations and the "social links" with the cast, and has questionable animation choices, but it does what it sets out to do.

I wouldn't say it's trash. It's not like Devil Survivor 2 the Animation, that says "fuck the story of the original game" and does its own thing (which is poorly written), leaving everyone unsatisfied.

What other use is there for thumps up/down then? You like it, upped, you don't, downed.

As long as you're not a big dick cry baby about it I see no problem with the system.

Good recaps video for the series I got from YT comments:

D1:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2c4BZULpfU
D2:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28bUAKv5ZXY

Didn't know these existed. These work as well.

Not assholes: Watch video, decide you don't like it, thumbs down.
Assholes: See video title, it's not what you wanted it to be, thumbs down.

I'm not gonna tell people how they should and shouldn't behave but they're definitely being assholes. If you're not interested don't click on the video, SBFP upload AT LEAST one video a day(which is an insane pace compared to most youtubers) so I don't get why people are getting so whiny about not getting their favorite thing all the time.

aly

What's wrong with that? That's exactly what thumbs down is for. I don't like thing for whatever reason. For example: I don't like this poorly planned lp that they needed a paragraph to explain how to figure out whats going on. But I'm too lazy and who bothers to read a comment so thumbs down so you can see my displeasure.

Ketkat

What's wrong with that? That's exactly what thumbs down is for. I don't like thing for whatever reason. For example: I don't like this poorly planned lp that they needed a paragraph to explain how to figure out whats going on. But I'm too lazy and who bothers to read a comment so thumbs down so you can see my displeasure.

Are you downvoting the MGS5 playthrough too because it requires you to read a paragraph to understand what happened in MGS3/Ground Zeroes? I really don't see how its poorly planned at all

Should've really just played the games >_>

Nah those vids summed up everything pretty well, plus I got loads of games I'm already super interested in to play. I'd definitely recommend the series if you got time.

Are you downvoting the MGS5 playthrough too because it requires you to read a paragraph to understand what happened in MGS3/Ground Zeroes? I really don't see how its poorly planned at all

Well I had to watch basically an hour long recap to understand half of this nonsense (coming from a MGS fan, our lore is also nonsense) that's happening where as you could watch that 10 min GT video and be good to go. But hey, if people wanted to down vote the vids for a lack of interest I wouldn't blame them.

aly

I'm not down voting anything personally, but if people want to down vote because of that then who am I to think they are being petty. I think it's a legit gripe to have. I think it's less likely to happen though since 1) Metal gear hits a much wider fanbase/ easier to recap on them and 2) Metal gear story is nonsense even to fans. Even with that, the game play it has in 5 makes it easy to jump into.

I say poorly planned due to timing, no small Yakuza style recap and all the dialogue skipping in a game where dialogue is important. Those seem to be the main complaints and those are legit complaints. Not just the jerkoffs screaming "Why don't we get Until Dawn and Metal Gear everyday!!!" That is just dumb.

While I want people to get into this great series, I can't really recommend that someone buy a new console, $80 worth of games, and play 50 hours worth of two games just to understand an series of youtube videos.

I wouldn't recommend people get a whole new console for them if they couldn't get the console for $20. If you know where to look, you can have both games and the means to play them for around $60-70 total.

But yeah, I also wouldn't recommend it for the sole purpose of a Youtube show. I'd recommend it for the fact that they're amazing games and arguably the height of their respective genre.

Skrams

They could explain what was going on and explain character's backstories to make it easier on the audience, but they aren't. They just go "oh Toko and Genocide Jill! Love those characters" rather than saying who they are and their significance. Just small things like that would help. That and if they start remembering the previous casts names. That would be beneficial for understanding the importance to an upcoming sidequest.

This isn't a bad playthough at all, just very experimental and could use a lot of improvements.

I still don't think them explaining the quirks of liking certain characters would make up for the people who haven't played the games. I guess it would help a little for the people who are still choosing to watch this LP, but not play the games at all. I would hope most people just choose not to watch the LP instead of forcing themselves to even if they have no prior knowledge. The LP will still be there in 6 months when a person eventually has $100 max of disposable income and wants to purchase a PSTV, DR1, and 2.

The one thing that might of made people more receptive to this LP is getting out beforehand and saying they might be doing a Ultra Despair Girls LP a few months back. It would of left people enough time to play the games if they wanted and enough of a heads up for people to hopefully not be as annoyed when an episode goes up when all they want is more Until Dawn.

Squishy3

I still don't think them explaining the quirks of liking certain characters would make up for the people who haven't played the games. I guess it would help a little for the people who are still choosing to watch this LP, but not play the games at all. I would hope most people just choose not to watch the LP instead of forcing themselves to even if they have no prior knowledge. The LP will still be there in 6 months when a person eventually has $100 max of disposable income and wants to purchase a PSTV, DR1, and 2.

The one thing that might of made people more receptive to this LP is getting out beforehand and saying they might be doing a Ultra Despair Girls LP a few months back. It would of left people enough time to play the games if they wanted and enough of a heads up for people to hopefully not be as annoyed when an episode goes up when all they want is more Until Dawn.
Woolie also acting like him playing Danganronpa to be some great secret that'd give away they're doing Ultra Despair Girls is kind of ridiculous too.

Especially because he did specifically talk about Danganronpa things and didn't dance around it as much as he thinks he did. I'm pretty sure there's one episode of the podcast where he talks about events that happen near the end of the first game.

This game just isn't a great LP game, even moreso than MGSV I think. I've put in like 5 hours and the story has gone fuck all nowhere and doesn't even have any of the actual good characters from Danganronpa in it. Unfettered exposure to Toko is not a great thing, especially when it involves repeatedly stopping and restarting the gameplay for very little amounts of dialogue.

kewlmyc

Woolie also acting like him playing Danganronpa to be some great secret that'd give away they're doing Ultra Despair Girls is kind of ridiculous too.

Especially because he did specifically talk about Danganronpa things and didn't dance around it as much as he thinks he did. I'm pretty sure there's one episode of the podcast where he talks about events that happen near the end of the first game.

This game just isn't a great LP game, even moreso than MGSV I think. I've put in like 5 hours and the story has gone fuck all nowhere and doesn't even have any of the actual good characters from Danganronpa in it. Unfettered exposure to Toko is not a great thing, especially when it involves repeatedly stopping and restarting the gameplay for very little amounts of dialogue.

Plot takes off around Chapter 3. Most of Chapter 5 is straight up talking and cutscenes. About like 40 minutes straight of it.

Numb

Nah man. Liam is killing it too hard in it.
There is a certain charm about the stuff around that LP i like.

MrHoot

At least we all can agree that Star Fox Adventures deserves to be downvoted.

The LP I think is pretty good. They're doing the best they can with it.

The game itself is so bleeeeeeeeeeeeh tho. I jump from episode to episode and there's like no sense of progression. Keep going through the same environment, solving lame puzles and the likes.

Maybe. The commentary is ok, but the game is sooo boring to look at. I treat it like a podcast and do other stuff while it plays in the background.

This is what I was trying to say before, it's perfect if you got stuff to do and just wanna listen to them ramble on about stuff.

Skrams

At least we all can agree that Star Fox Adventures deserves to be downvoted.

It's the only thing I feel safe watching right now. I've never played the game, but I don't feel like I need to at all really. It's not blowing my socks off, but it's definitely something I can watch without feeling a little bit of guilt. I'm watching Until Dawn, but I keep wondering if I should stop watching and just play the game myself then watch. I'm still hesitant on how MGS5 will go. I'm probably not going to watch Despair Girls until months from now when I've finished DR1 and DR2.

Also yeah, Starfox is good background noise considering the retreading of all the environment while I wonder what the point of the game even is anymore. Spellstones, protect dinos, GENERAL SCALES, and some other garbage. The amount of times they've gone through that one water room where tricky has to sit on the switch so Liam can change the water direction flow? Too many times.

It's what Liam does best honestly.
It is, yet I struggle to find whether or not I want to watch the Phantom Pain LP, partly because of what I heard regarding the game's structure, and that Liam's playstyle seems like something that would agitate me in this specific instance.

Ah, whatever. I've got Subsistence, the best Metal Gear game, being shipped to me anyway so I'll be getting my MGS fix that way.

ThunderSaqr

Neo Member
Yep. Just as Woolie said, Seychelles is off the coast of Australia.

1fP0jc7.jpg

Ah, fucking hell, I'll start watching the Phantom Pain LP. Not like I care about spoiling myself in the first place, and I might as well see for myself if Liam is just going nuts in this game while ignoring a whole bunch of other shit.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Liam or Pat are going to dislike it, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the game. I feel like they're such huge MGS fans that it really doesn't matter whether the game is actually decent or not.

Because of this I don't feel like their opinion matters much, not to me anyway.

I just want to fast forward a few weeks and see what the guys think of MGSV.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Liam or Pat are going to dislike it, and that has nothing to do with the quality of the game. I feel like they're such huge MGS fans that it really doesn't matter whether the game is actually decent or not.

Yup, they'll be drinking the Kojima love juice hard. I wanna see them justify the garbage though.

kewlmyc

I own TPP (haven't touched it) but the only MG games I've played are MGS1 and Revengance. What's wrong with TPP? Don't mind spoilers.

EDIT: Nevermind, don't. Don't want to drag any spoilers in here.

Anung

Un Rama

Don't really buy that or I'd like to think they are better than that. I fucking LOVE metal gear to ridiculous levels but it didn't stop me thinking critically about it and these guys (for all the hype) are usually on the ball when it comes to thinking critically of a thing, even if they are invested in it.

I'm just curious to see how they react to what is fast becoming an incredibly polarizing experience.

I hope they touch on it in a future podcast because fuck waiting 40 odd eps of the LP to see what they think. Shit'll probably fall apart by then.

Squishy3

It easily has the best and most emergent gameplay out of any game in the series. There's so many different ways to infiltrate each base, the way the guards adapt to situations (IE you use Quiet as a buddy a lot and they adapt by posting more and more snipers inside each base, and she can't get a tranquilized sniper rifle until you raise her bond level up to 8) or if you infiltrate at night exclusively, the guards start using nightvision goggles and flashlights on their guns. Use sleep grenades, they start equipping gas masks, headshots = helmets etc.

The biggest complaints have to do with the structure of the game and the lack of cutscenes. (which has a pretty obvious answer, moreso when they talk about cut content in the BTS vid that I haven't watched yet)

What most people don't like about the game has nothing to do with the actual gameplay and the way the second half of the game plays out due to the structuring (because of aforementioned cut content) plus the lack of cutscenes.

Some people also don't like the building up the Motherbase aspect either but outside of the resources it's pretty easy to build up.

Top Bottom