• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

The moment Michael Jordan showed up in Barkley I paused the LP and went to download it. Continued to play along with the LP, and it remains one of my favorite playthroughs by them.

I had a similar experience. I finished the first part, downloaded the game, and played through all of it before they uploaded the 3rd part. I'm really glad I did too. That game is a masterpiece.

Skrams

Its not conjecture though. There have even been studies on it, showing most people enjoy spoilers. And I was only arguing against the idea that the LP is inherently a bad idea and that watching it will ruin the experience of the previous games for people.

That said I do hate the whole 'no spoilers!' thing, so I may be coming off more hostile then I intended.
The study you linked makes sense, but for a real situation I feel like all it does is remove the suspense. People enjoyed the thing more because they felt more comfortable since they already knew the path the shit was heading on. I always felt like the people who don't care about a spoiler also never really cared about the thing in the first place. I also feel the experience of a spoiled thing is not dissimilar to a replay of a game when you have that knowledge. You can absorb more points by knowing the shit ahead. I feel like that's a cooler thing on a replay since I feel like I'm discovering things not everyone will.
My issue with TPP playthrough is the way the game's structured and paced, it's pure gameplay. There's nothing interesting to comment on 75% of the time, or more. Even main missions are often just in-and-out, and the story is just sprinkled randomly within.
I've sunk in 30-40 hours and I have 25% done. I do not know how they will make the game interesting at all for that long. There's so little story cutscenes and a lot of tapes. That's not conductive to an LP much at all. Maybe Liam will keep it interesting with his mission shenanigans. I know I'd be bored watching me play probably since I just tranq everyone I can.
Im an ultra despair girl :(
sesame-street-letter-l-o.gif

That's something I've wondered. Has there ever been an SBFP LP that made you go "oh, I should play those games now" and you just did it?

Plenty for a lot of people.

I tossed around playing Barkley for a bit and then their LP got me to finally sit down with it. Decided to start Parasite Eve when they decided to LP that. I still need to get back to it though. I forget if I played The Fall due to the LP or not. Bloodborne and Dark 2 were also nice little check ins to see my difference between their playthrough and mine.

Although most of the time I've held off watching certain LPs until I eventually play the game.

The moment Michael Jordan showed up in Barkley I paused the LP and went to download it. Continued to play along with the LP, and it remains one of my favorite playthroughs by them.

yo you too?
its a goofy game but i love it
also i saw right through the chapter 5 trap(Danganronpa)

Squishy3

I've sunk in 30-40 hours and I have 25% done. I do not know how they will make the game interesting at all for that long. There's so little story cutscenes and a lot of tapes. That's not conductive to an LP much at all. Maybe Liam will keep it interesting with his mission shenanigans. I know I'd be bored watching me play probably since I just tranq everyone I can.
There'll be a lot of time for random musings from Pat, at least. It'll be kinda nice to have stuff like that again like in Deadly Premonition, where there's a lot of traveling around and plenty of time for that kind of stuff.

There's also Deadly Premonition enemies too!

The study you linked makes sense, but for a real situation I feel like all it does is remove the suspense.
It may remove the suspense for whatever the thing that was spoiled, but there is likely plenty of other things you don't know yet that will provide suspense. And even then, knowing a thing a head can change the way you look at a piece of fiction completely, creating its own suspense as you are reading, looking for the signs that point to the spoiler and then finding out if you were right or otherwise changing the way you experience it.

People enjoyed the thing more because they felt more comfortable since they already knew the path the shit was heading on. I always felt like the people who don't care about a spoiler also never really cared about the thing in the first place. I also feel the experience of a spoiled thing is not dissimilar to a replay of a game when you have that knowledge. You can absorb more points by knowing the shit ahead. I feel like that's a cooler thing on a replay since I feel like I'm discovering things not everyone will.

Wow. This is so wrong. I mean, I can only truly speak personally, (although I probably have a better idea about what other people who don't mind spoilers feel) but when I care about something. Like, REALLY care. I will want to know as much as I can about it. I'll scrounge the internet looking for details and trailers, even watching them repeatably for more info. This kind of stuff is why I don't like the whole 'spoiler culture'...

As for being like a replay thing, knowing something like Aerith dies and experiencing that moment(not to mention the other 50+ hours of the game) for your self and playing the game again/for the first time are not even comparable, especially in the case of an interactive media.

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but... what would you say if someone told you how you feel about, well, anything?

Anung

Un Rama

I'm 50% in with 50 hours played and the second half of this game's LP is going need severe editing or will be un-LP-able. This isn't a spoiler but to make story progress now I either need to replay earlier missions on extreme difficulties (Full Stealth, Extreme which means no reflex, insta-kill and on-site weapon procurement or grind A LOT of side ops. It's tedious to do as the player so it'll be hellish to watch someone else do it.

I'm sticking to my guns (of the patriots) here. This LP is can only stay entertaining for so long and will need a format change down the line if they ever intend to finish it.

I'm 50% in with 50 hours played and the second half of this game's LP is going need severe editing or will be un-LP-able. This isn't a spoiler but to make story progress now I either need to replay earlier missions on extreme difficulties (Full Stealth, Extreme which means no reflex, insta-kill and on-site weapon procurement or grind A LOT of side ops. It's tedious to do as the player so it'll be hellish to watch someone else do it.

I'm sticking to my guns (of the patriots) here. This LP is can only stay entertaining for so long and will need a format change down the line if they ever intend to finish it.

I like how Chip and Ironicus LP Metal Gear games.

They have dual commentary tracks, one for Cutscene audio and the other for commentary over reduced Cutscenes audio.

Then, Chip will explain all of the nifty little extras in the gameplay sections, and put the codec or tape conversation in a separate video. It's great and thorough.

I don't see these guys doing this at all :/

I like how Chip and Ironicus LP Metal Gear games.

They have dual commentary tracks, one for Cutscene audio and the other for commentary over reduced Cutscenes audio.

Then, Chip will explain all of the nifty little extras in the gameplay sections, and put the codec or tape conversation in a separate video. It's great and thorough.

I don't see these guys doing this at all :/

Considering how much dialogue I've seen so far in the game, that'd only work for like the first hour. This game is much lighter on dialogue/cutscenes compared to other Metal Gears.

And if I want to watch an LP, I'd rather see commentary over the whole thing. I'll watch a walkthrough or play it myself if I really care about uninterrupted story/cutscenes

Skrams

I really hope I didn't just read a spoiler posted by lelouch for the end of Danganronpa 1. Reading these little tid bits of a game I plan to play semi soon in the future isn't great.

I understand you're excited about the game, but at least spoiler the shit just in case.

Also

Best Friends Play Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls (Part 3)

Youtube Version

Website Version

It may remove the suspense for whatever the thing that was spoiled, but there is likely plenty of other things you don't know yet that will provide suspense. And even then, knowing a thing a head can change the way you look at a piece of fiction completely, creating its own suspense as you are reading, looking for the signs that point to the spoiler and then finding out if you were right or otherwise changing the way you experience it.

Wow. This is so wrong. I mean, I can only truly speak personally, (although I probably have a better idea about what other people who don't mind spoilers feel) but when I care about something. Like, REALLY care. I will want to know as much as I can about it. I'll scrounge the internet looking for details and trailers, even watching them repeatably for more info. This kind of stuff is why I don't like the whole 'spoiler culture'...

As for being like a replay thing, knowing something like Aerith dies and experiencing that moment(not to mention the other 50+ hours of the game) for your self and playing the game again/for the first time are not even comparable, especially in the case of an interactive media.

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but... what would you say if someone told you how you feel about, well, anything?

My point was that it removes suspense and adds comfort. I personally feel people should be out of their comfort zone with fiction. Spoilers may make people more interested in a thing when they weren't at all interested before, but I feel like those impact surprises do hold weight when I look back on a game. I'm happy that devs seem to be hiding certain things like this now and not talking about it before release. It helps to create an illusion and prime me for the surprise even more.

I also think it's just two different ways of tackling something. One where you're ignorant on the events and the other where you're looking for the clues pointing to it. I would personally prefer the former because that's the normal experience that I want. I think the latter is something that can be mildly achieved by replaying the game. During a replay I think I would pick up on the more subtle queues and enjoy the effort put there. The same could be said of a person going in with the spoiler knowledge and them wondering if that subtle queue is pointing to the spoiler.

I'm aware there are people who want to gobble up all the info they can prerelease about games, but I personally try to ignore it if I know I'm going to be purchasing the game day one anyway. I'd rather experience it all fresh since that's just the way I like going into shit now. Discovery is a rarer thing nowadays and I try to get it anyway I can. Also Aerith dying is the worst example you could say because it's a very cheap death with little heads up to it. I'm referring to a more preferred scenario of a murder mystery where one person in the room is the killer. You get the experience the first time of maybe suspecting them or maybe not. You then replay and look at them intently for anything they do and how it benefits their case. It's not entirely similar to a spoiled first playthrough, but I think some of the same feeling of what you're doing is there.

Edit- Also to be clear, it's really all just up to personal preference. I'm not saying one way is better than the other since that depends on the persons viewpoints of media. I just prefer the normal method for taking in something rather than if it's spoiled beforehand. I just like surprises whether it be story or gameplay. My comment about people not caring about the thing in the first place was also meant more towards a person purposefully reading about who dies in thing just because they want to know now instead of playing the game. Or the other situation where they hear the spoiler by accident and now there's no incentive from them to play or read the thing. Some people are incentivized to play the thing since now it seems interesting, but that's not something you can easily judge beforehand so it's never something I'd purposefully do. I tell people to just play the Frog Fractions and don't look at anything else because I don't even want to mention it messes with your expectations. Again, that's just what I prefer and no one method is really wrong. I understand some people hate everyone getting upset over non spoilers or fake spoilers, but I don't think it's a thing anyone is going to stop doing any time soon.

Does anyone have a link to the MGS4 lets watch? I can't find it on the site at all. :/

The only place I know is the one guy's dailymotion.

Laputa_94

Damn aside from Until Dawn there's nothing I'm really excited to watch on the channel. I'll stick with MGS V until its inevitable drop in quality unless they change the structure and cut stuff.

Nope no spoilers in that post
its just a joke about Frieza episode in DBZ
only Frieza is replaced with Monokuma
you wont guess the ending though i can promise you that much
even i didnt see it coming

zeemumu

I can't watch the MGSV lets play until I finish playing 1-4 and peacewalker so I can play 5 (so far I finished 4 and I'm currently heating the key on 1).

aly

I can't watch the MGSV lets play until I finish playing 1-4 and peacewalker so I can play 5 (so far I finished 4 and I'm currently heating the key on 1).

Don't worry. At the rate the lp will end up going you'll probably get caught up soon enough.

Bah, they should play DR 1 and 2 first. They know people will watch them without knowing a thing about the series, and I'm pretty sure both LIam and Woolie love the series enough to not want to spoil people.

Started watching their Ground Zeroes LP. Because I got it because I caved in and bought both GZ and TPP for PS3.

I'm already mad at this LP. How dare they say shit about Peace Waker. Especially Heaven's Divide. Urghhhh I AM MAAAAAAAD.

Danganronpa is worth playing if you already own a Vita. Its not a system seller since it won't blow your doors off or anything, but they're fine games. Haven't played the second one myself yet but its pretty divided on it being better or worse than the first game.

It blew my doors WIDE open! Favorite new series in a VERY long time and IMO the height of the VN genre.

Quite easily a system seller, especially since it works on the now super cheap PSTV. If you already have a controller and know where to look, you could get a means to play the first 2 games for under $100.

Started watching their Ground Zeroes LP. Because I got it because I caved in and bought both GZ and TPP for PS3.

I'm already mad at this LP. How dare they say shit about Peace Waker. Especially Heaven's Divide. Urghhhh I AM MAAAAAAAD.
I'm interested in how they'll react to MGSV since it's mostly Peace Walker 2

Squishy3

Isn't the game mostly missions with sprinkles of cutscenes every few hours?
There's a ton of gameplay but there's more gameplay than there is actual cutscenes. So basically the exact opposite of MGS4.

Granted, I guess in the documentary there's talk of an entire cut area. (Haven't watched it myself since I'm willing to bet it's filled with spoilers.) I guess that's when they finally told Kojima no.

Squishy3

Great, it's MGSV, just what I was hoping for.
Same here. I'm not watching Danganronpa or Until Dawn but I'm wayyyyyyyy ahead of them in MGSV. (which is the game responsible for me not putting time into either of them, although I just can't afford Until Dawn right now, I have Danganronpa already)

KdylanR92

This is the first time in my like 3 years of watching the best friends that i'm not watching any of the LPs, what am I gonna do with all this free time?.......oh yeah work or something crazy like actually playing video games.

So, guys

The Phantom Pain on PS3. Worth it?

Or,

The Phantom Pain on a 6-yr old PC. Worth it? (Most recent games I played were The Evil Within and Alien Isolation and they both ran relatively decent)

This is the first time in my like 3 years of watching the best friends that i'm not watching any of the LPs, what am I gonna do with all this free time?.......oh yeah work or something crazy like actually playing video games.

Super Spoiler Friends Play: You're Required To Play 1000 Hrs of Various Games Before You Can Watch Our Videos

Squishy3

So, guys

The Phantom Pain on PS3. Worth it?

Or,

The Phantom Pain on a 6-yr old PC. Worth it? (Most recent games I played were The Evil Within and Alien Isolation and they both ran relatively decent)

Super Spoiler Friends Play: You're Required To Play 1000 Hrs of Various Games Before You Can Watch Our Videos
TPP should be fine, you might need to turn some stuff down. If you tried GZ on your PC it's as good a port as that, but slightly more demanding because of the open-world nature.

TPP should be fine, you might need to turn some stuff down. If you tried GZ on your PC it's as good a port as that, but slightly more demanding because of the open-world nature.

Played GZ on PS3, never got to on PC. Hopefully they release a benchmark eventually

demidar

I'm playing TPP on my 6 year old computer, below minimum specs and I'm running it at around 30fps with infrequent drops, low-medium graphics windowed.

It's remarkably well optimized.

This is the first time in my like 3 years of watching the best friends that i'm not watching any of the LPs

Same for me, except Until Dawn since it's the only one I've actually finished. Already beat Star Fox Adventures, but I'm not interested in watching it.

Don't plan on watching the MGSV at all since I'd rather play it myself and not spoil anything. Also haven't played Danganronpa 2 yet, so don't want to spoil myself with AE on that either.

I'm enjoying the Until Dawn LP though.

Neol

Not really watching anything either.

Not interested in Dangaronpa and even if I was I would have to play the 1st and 2nd game to get the whole experience which is a bit of an inconvenience. Dropped Star Fox cause it started to feel like a slog. Avoiding Until Dawn cause of spoilers but from what I'm seeing it looks generally good for everyone. Although MGS is looking good I won't follow it cause I'm not that big on long LP's.

Its okay though. Gives us college kids time to focus on our studies :p

Anung

Un Rama
Bandwagon age. Launch day Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls really annoyed me.

The "Let's not watch age" considering how many of us are apparently not watching anything. I'm genuinely surprised that so many of us our on the same page. I thought I was just being off by not being into any of the current stuff.

Since 3 of the games they're playing right now are story heavy and recent releases it's not all that weird that there's a lot of people not watching anything.

Top Bottom