• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

A sub 2-hour podcast? This hasn't happened since the single digits when they kept on track
Momocast doesn't count, that was live and raw

People like options. People also don't like getting caught in stealth games to be the same thing as instant failure. People like a little jimmy room to keep it going. I think MGS5 handles it well and it's always been an option of the series. I understand your feelings towards more traditional stealth games though. It's not a very active genre for pure stealth nowadays.
Aside from the whole gameplay options aspect, which has its own problems of separate gameplay styles not being at their fullest potential due to resources, my biggest issue has been stuff like there still being a primary reliance on line-of-sight for enemy detection and abstract visual clutter like target markers, silhouettes of figures behind structures, and the like when fucking Thief proved that those sorts of things are unnecessary with the right systems in place. Back in 1998.

The one thing I give MGSV lots of credit for though is the clear advances in AI behavior and how you can interact with them. The fact that usually insignificant elements in games like destroying security cameras DOES get the attention of a sect of guards is something I'm impressed with.

Squishy3

Finally made it to the latest part of the Phantom Pain LP, and hearing Pat and Liam talk about the general gameplay changes and how "going loud" is viable just depresses the hell out of me regarding the current state of stealth games.
I take it you haven't watched Metal Gear Scanlon where Drew manages to bumble his way through the series being as stealthily loud as possible.

In TPP chances are you're probably going to get into a firefight of some kind if you're trying to take out every guard every time, because of the trucks and patrols that go from base-to-base, somebody is going to see something, even if you're using the wall-hack that is DD. Stealth has never been better than in MGS5, but let's not act like recent stealth games are the first ones to introduce "loud" as a viable play style.

I take it you haven't watched Metal Gear Scanlon where Drew manages to bumble his way through the series being as stealthily loud as possible.

In TPP chances are you're probably going to get into a firefight of some kind if you're trying to take out every guard every time, because of the trucks and patrols that go from base-to-base, somebody is going to see something, even if you're using the wall-hack that is DD.
You're right, I've not. Too many videos at this point for me to get all the way through in a timely manner, but I've heard enough from the GB Community to know about how those went.

Man, I just want a game in that universe where the main character is a master of espionage and CQC, but can't aim a gun for shit. Give me the Metal Gear equivalent of Garrett, god fucking dammit.

I hope they just play Gang Beasts again.
Gang Beasts should always be a occurring feature. On the channel and everywhere else.

I still want them to play the Sega Model 2 Collection (Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, and Sonic the Fighters), but unlike a certain carebear who frequents here I'm not dumb enough to keep betting on it happening at every possible moment each week.

That works too. They should also play MvC1: best marvel vs game.

Pure_Phazon, you son of a bitch!
handshake2.jpg

I'm sorry if this seems off-topic but

WO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

WORDS THAT KILL

Skrams

God damn I am so glad Pat watched the subbed episode of One Punch Man. Episode 1 already has my hype through the roof for the rest of the season. PV3 also showed off episode 2 stuff, so I don't think animation quality is going to slow down. Glad he's on the Rick and Morty train too.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Go to click on the podcast, see

"Lots of Metal Gear and Until Dawn talk this week"

Now I don't even want to bother. Eh. I feel like I'm just losing interest in the Best Friends as a whole.

Hehe, I was on that skill testing question thread Pat was talking about on today's podcast. I too can't believe so many people can't into BEDMAS.

Yeah, that's right, I said BEDMAS, not PEDMAS. Fight me, America.

Hehe, I was on that skill testing question thread Pat was talking about on today's podcast. I too can't believe so many people can't into BEDMAS.

Yeah, that's right, I said BEDMAS, not PEDMAS. Fight me, America.

Except it's actually PEMDAS, not PEDMAS.

And the order of operations is from left to right.

Hope they've actually played the game's story so they can commentate on that. That and they aren't afraid of talking about the final boss of P4 since he's a freaking character in that.
I don't see why they'd avoid it at this point. Even if someone didn't get to play the games, there's been two animes for p4.

Edzi

I mentioned this on the reddit thread, but I really hope that the guys are a bit more critical of MGSV after all the initial hype dies down. Woolie sort of started to criticize the story a bit near the beginning, but then stepped around it after a while. The gameplay in the game is the best it has ever been, but it just doesn't really feel like an MGS game overall anymore. And from what I'm hearing on Gaf, a lot of people who have finished the game don't seem particularly pleased with it either.

Anung

Un Rama
I mentioned this on the reddit thread, but I really hope that the guys are a bit more critical of MGSV after all the initial hype dies down. Woolie sort of started to criticize the story a bit near the beginning, but then stepped around it after a while. The gameplay in the game is the best it has ever been, but it just doesn't really feel like an MGS game overall anymore. And from what I'm hearing on Gaf, a lot of people who have finished the game don't seem particularly pleased with it either.

Yeah, the tone between the two threads is night and day at the minute and a backlash is slowly growing out of it. Plus the game itself is generally not very LP friendly. I hope they don't just "its fine" it away.

One of the reasons its hard to care about the LP to be honest.

MrHoot

Hasn't there been like a huge content cut for the end of the game which would've made the story significantly better ? Heard Jim Sterling mentionning it

Edzi

Yeah, the tone between the two threads is night and day at the minute and a backlash is slowly growing out of it. Plus the game itself is generally not very LP friendly. I hope they don't just "its fine" it away.

One of the reasons its hard to care about the LP to be honest.

Yeah, I'm actually really bummed that they decided to do an LP of this game. They'll probably take forever to finish it, miss a bunch of stuff, or feel pressured to like the game more than they would have if they played at their own pace. And on top of that, I can't imagine it being particularly fun to watch since as you mentioned, the game isn't very LP friendly. I doubt I'll be watching it, even after I beat the game myself.

Hasn't there been like a huge content cut for the end of the game which would've made the story significantly better ? Heard Jim Sterling mentionning it

I'm hearing stuff about a cut ending, but I haven't looked into it since I want to beat the game first. Dunno if something like a potential/cut ending would be enough to fix things if the actual ending is as bad as some are saying.

I know its been a joke forever, but do you actually want Ultimax FNF?

Its also been somewhat confirm on the Podcast.

Listening to the podcast now, so I didn't hear the confirmation yet.

And yeah I do. I feel bad for not keeping up with recent FNF/SMS, but I'm selfish and want to see games I'm interested and the last one I really cared about was Yatagarasu.

Top Bottom