• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

No way, Tap was legit. Makoto was definitely the worst out of the starting 3. Arman was far and away the best though.

Tap started out cool, but he did a few things towards the end that brought him down a bit for me. Makoto had something going on, in a bad way. Considering he wasn't liked by his baseball team and quit the team, as well as the things he did at the house something was up, or he is just not very likable. Arman was a good contrast of how western society handles relationships compared to the rest of the cast.

All I know is I need to keep going until I can find out more about whatever "The Coward Incident" is.

Oh, you don't find out about the coward incident, it just happens and you hold on for the ride.

On topic, I watched the first Silent Hills 3 episode and it didn't quite grab me like the others have. Anything to look forward to if I continue with it?

Fancolors

No way, Tap was legit. Makoto was definitely the worst out of the starting 3. Arman was far and away the best though.
Season 1 highlight was
Makoto leaving the house. Dude fucked up in the house and his career and there's no one to blame other than himself. I just find it funny how he started as the cool desirable dude. Arman is soo much better.

ArjanN

I feel with them skipping out on this and last years PSX and Game Awards, that Liam is the one who pushes them to do lets watches.

Since he went to PSX this and last year.

I find that kinda odd considering they're far more entertaining than their let's play stuff.

Wiseblade

Wait, has the reception to the Command mission playthrough really negative? I have been enjoying Liam & Woolie's extended Megaman podcast and learned to expect the worst after the FFX run. But I vastly prefer the podcast to any single let's play, so my priorities might be askew compared to most.

MOAR TERRACE HOUSE TALK
Tap started out cool, but he did a few things towards the end that brought him down a bit for me. Makoto had something going on, in a bad way. Considering he wasn't liked by his baseball team and quit the team, as well as the things he did at the house something was up, or he is just not very likable. Arman was a good contrast of how western society handles relationships compared to the rest of the cast.
By the end I just felt bad for Tap. The Costco moment especially was sad to watch.

Makoto is just the kind of of person nobody wants to be around. Even the panel was glad to be rid of him by the end.

Season 1 highlight was
Makoto leaving the house. Dude fucked up in the house and his career and there's no one to blame other than himself. I just find it funny how he started as the cool desirable dude. Arman is soo much better.
And what would you say was the season 2 highlight?

Wait, has the reception to the Command mission playthrough really negative? I have been enjoying Liam & Woolie's extended Megaman podcast and learned to expect the worst after the FFX run. But I vastly prefer the podcast to any single let's play, so my priorities might be askew compared to most.

It's been better since they've done off camera grinding. The low point was a 40 minute boss battle that shouldn't have been so hard.

Fancolors

Does anyone have LPs that are good to listen to? I'm running out of podcasts to listen during work. I was doing that to the Minecraft LP.

And what would you say was the season 2 highlight?

Still haven't started Season 2 yet. Will probably get to that later tomorrow.

Matt seems to have gotten two or three Star Trek games, assuming he didn't fabricate one out of his ass/misremembering the name of one.

Here's hoping they make more Trek videos out of them.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So through a weird series of events I went onto the best friends website, accidentally stumbled upon their list of LPs, and noticed I have never actually watched their Wolf Among Us LP, mainly because I wanted to play it but never actually did. Ended up watching it and it is super fucking weird to hear them shout about how much they love and how great Tell Tale is. Coupled with a near-prophetic gasp of disappointment when it stuttered all over the place and they go "Tell Tale! What happened? We gave you all the money, so why didn't you fix the engine???"

Overall, fun time. I'd watch another game of both Matt and Woolie playing as bad cops.

Strimei

Dunno if its been overly negative but personally its one of the LPs I don't watch. I may binge it at some point when its done but it just doesn't really click for me (for that matter, neither does the current Silent Hill one. I honestly only like watching them play the bad SHs, more fun for me).

I honestly find turn-based RPGs to be a bit of a snorefest for LPs, with only a few exceptions (Giant Bomb's Persona 4 Endurance Run chief among them, and even that is a real slog that only works because of Jeff and Vinny).

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I get that, but I really enjoy rpg's as LPs honestly, atleast in this slow burn capacity. I don't know if I have the patience to sit through it all at once, but I enjoy a half hour every other day of just Liam and Woolie being chill and some RPG combat to remind me I like them, just... not enough to play them.

So through a weird series of events I went onto the best friends website, accidentally stumbled upon their list of LPs, and noticed I have never actually watched their Wolf Among Us LP, mainly because I wanted to play it but never actually did. Ended up watching it and it is super fucking weird to hear them shout about how much they love and how great Tell Tale is. Coupled with a near-prophetic gasp of disappointment when it stuttered all over the place and they go "Tell Tale! What happened? We gave you all the money, so why didn't you fix the engine???"

Overall, fun time. I'd watch another game of both Matt and Woolie playing as bad cops.

TellTale's fall from grace was some real perfect storm type shit. At the same time as people were finally starting to wise up to the formula, they also over-played their hand to the tune of about a half-dozen more games than they really had any business trying to produce at one time, so you had a glut of mediocre product flooding the market right when people were starting to become more critical of just how poor a lot of it was.

Kind of reminds me of FF8-era Square-Enix, when there was just that sudden wash of ridiculous, middling-quality test projects (Chocobo's Dungeon, Ehrgeiz, etc.) all hot on the heels of the relative disappointment with their headlining title.

Dunno if its been overly negative but personally its one of the LPs I don't watch. I may binge it at some point when its done but it just doesn't really click for me (for that matter, neither does the current Silent Hill one. I honestly only like watching them play the bad SHs, more fun for me).

I honestly find turn-based RPGs to be a bit of a snorefest for LPs, with only a few exceptions (Giant Bomb's Persona 4 Endurance Run chief among them, and even that is a real slog that only works because of Jeff and Vinny).
Clearly they should do LOTR: The Third Age and bring over the Wakka jokes since it's the same engine.

Strimei

Clearly they should do LOTR: The Third Age and bring over the Wakka jokes since it's the same engine.

Hah that sounds promising (but then again I was one of the apparently few who didn't mind the constant Wakka is a racist jokes).

And I don't mean to say that it was all bad, but its just that I feel there's a lot of downtime in RPGs and that I think they aren't all that well suited to a video LP format.

I mean, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon Nuzlocke, FFX, etc were all kinda meandering and snoozefests at times.

MrHoot

I remember Matt said he was gonna do something with Liam and Owlboy right ? I'm pretty interested in that. I also hope they do something with Last Guardian, I think that would make a pretty cool playthrough as Pat loves doggos

Strimei

"Here we-GO!"

*bwing*

*screech*

*screech*

"Yaaah!"

repeat ad nauseum.

edit: I absolutely lost it at the exchange about cash prizes.

Also how can Matt not know what a zoot suit is? Does he not remember that 1997 "smash hit" Zoot Suit Riot?

edit: God this sonic playthrough is easily becoming a great one. I mean we have already reached the point of spite-editing.

"Here we-GO!"

*bwing*

*screech*

*screech*

"Yaaah!"

repeat ad nauseum.

I seriously have no idea why they're even doing the optional levels. Most of the medals are in the villages and the main Werehog stages, and they're not hard to find if you put in literally any effort at all to look.

Strimei

I seriously have no idea why they're even doing the optional levels. Most of the medals are in the villages and the main Werehog stages, and they're not hard to find if you put in literally any effort at all to look.

Are they aware its optional? I mean, they weren't in Omikron...

Anyways, podcast's up.

IIRC, this is right around when they figure out the level thing for unlocking stages.

IIRC, this is right around when they figure out the level thing for unlocking stages.

I'm pretty sure they already did, and they knew they only needed one moon medal to reach the next level. They just sort of did all those stages for no real reason but to complain more about nothing.

Matt buying boots then buying another pair of boots because the laces were too small is great. You can just buy laces, Matt.

I just like that Pat's like, "We're going to talk about Marvel for ONE HOUR so things are going to have to get cut," and then Woolie's like, "We have THIRTY-SEVEN news items to go through so we're going to have to move quick," and then Matt chimes in with, "I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I PUT MY BOOTS!"

He's going to make a great grandpa for some kid.

I just like that Pat's like, "We're going to talk about Marvel for ONE HOUR so things are going to have to get cut," and then Woolie's like, "We have THIRTY-SEVEN news items to go through so we're going to have to move quick," and then Matt chimes in with, "I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I PUT MY BOOTS!"

He's going to make a great grandpa for some kid.

Oh god, I can't wait for literal Matt Jr.

J-Skee

Is there a reason why the shownotes for the podcast are so short, but when I go to their website, there's a whole list a topics they talk about? Would like to see those in my podcast app.

Strimei

I have no idea what this is.

You remember the DOA Xtreme Volleyball games? Like the one where you try to use your butt to push the other girl off the platform?

Its like that on steroids. And like...JoJo thrown in.

edit: Wow, so Woolie finally beat Reboot huh.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm concerned for their health. This week they faked the twitch outage to take a nap mid podcast and brushed it off with drug talk.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wow, they're really taking the self-shots in today's Omikron part. Pat and Woolie talking about their subtle strategies of diverting people calling them out for being wrong, talking about how Matt just wants to be included, Pat's comments in the past about how he sometimes thinks it'd be so easy to kill someone, etc. They're really digging their heels and facing their own mortality.

Top Bottom