• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

You know, I'm not saying that most of Eva's angel designs weren't dumb to begin with, but I think having them try to smash some bros really highlights just how dumb most of them are.

Holidays got me behind on a bunch of uploads so trying to catch up tonight from work. On the second Dark Souls video now and wow, I've invested hundreds of hours into the game on PC and haven't seen any these freezes that they've experienced twice already.

There's probably an infinite amount of realities out there where different games were made in different styles, and we're privy to the one with the Evangelion Smash Brothers clone.If you're looking at this game and don't know a thing about Eva, this has got to be the most bizarre fighter ever, where you can be a giant diamond, fight a flappy flower eye ball thing, all while being attacked by a giant shark.

p8cIeAM.png

Goddamn that's perfect.

And extremely depressing.

Happy New Years from future Taiwan fellow nomad souls! Let us pray for another whole year full of muscles, darlington, and lava beard. Let us also rejoice that somewhere a super star is looking down on us from a better place.

I'm nearly level 30 and I'm in the middle of chapter 3. It's not that hard.

And I was around level 45 when I was at the last of the chapter and did a moderate level of sidequests in between. It's not getting to that level I find bizarre, it's the lack of restraint of overleveling. I just base the level I should be around each chapter on the levels of the enemies with some cushion for leveling but that's just me.

Strimei

She's got a ton of medical problems, including lupis, brain scarring from encephalitis, a messed up artery to her brain, and some other stuff I've probably missed since I'm interacting with family members at a New Year's meetup.

Jesus. She's doing well for all that.

And I was around level 45 when I was at the last of the chapter and did a moderate level of sidequests in between. It's not getting to that level I find bizarre, it's the lack of restraint of overleveling. I just base the level I should be around each chapter on the levels of the enemies with some cushion for leveling but that's just me.
Nah, I'm bad at RPGs, so I need it.

Gestahl

Pat you only need about 25 arrows for the dragon thing, 30 to account for missing. 200 is overdoing it.

'That message is a lie'

'Man this game looks AMAZING for 2009'

'The Drake Sword is BROKEN'

'Humanity damage scales to 99 and is BROKEN'

Can we finally put the meme that Pat played Dark Souls 1 to rest???

Strimei

Pat you only need about 25 arrows for the dragon thing, 30 to account for missing. 200 is overdoing it.

It is overdoing it, unless you're like me and don't even realize until late into the game that you can actually target in first person with bows, and instead just try and do it by eye and trial & error.

Not my finest moment.

Strimei

I love Woolie's reactions. Pretty sure we're going to get a Pat/Woolie LP of Nier Automata, with Pat taking Liam's position from the Nier LP.

edit: Watching Paige play Frog Factions. I honestly had zero idea what this game was and I still don't know what to think. Its like Nier in a way.

edit: ...the hell is this game.

The Drake Sword carried a million scrubs to victory over early bosses long enough for them to get their shit together. For the point in the game you get it, and for the fact that it doesn't require sequence breaking or a rare drop, it actually is an amazing weapon.

It's an incredibly useful stopgap solution for new players to use until they can get the stat investments and upgrades to start down the path to a real build. As long as you don't keep trying to use it the entire game, it's great. At the point you get it, it will quite likely hit for two to three times the damage of the weapon you have.

Gestahl

The Drake Sword carried a million scrubs to victory over early bosses long enough for them to get their shit together. For the point in the game you get it, and for the fact that it doesn't require sequence breaking or a rare drop, it actually is an amazing weapon.

It's an incredibly useful stopgap solution for new players to use until they can get the stat investments and upgrades to start down the path to a real build. As long as you don't keep trying to use it the entire game, it's great. At the point you get it, it will quite likely hit for two to three times the damage of the weapon you have.

It's not broken. A +4 or +5 Zwei (or most heavy weapons) does just as much damage while teaching you how to use a real moveset beyond the generic straight sword and allows for resin. It's useful for an hour or two of game play until you unlock Andre and then at that point becomes an albatross around any new player's neck, since they've been bludgeoning enemies to death without thinking and are now halfway down Blighttown and suddenly doing shit all for damage

zeemumu

'That message is a lie'

'Man this game looks AMAZING for 2009'

'Humanity damage scales to 99 and is BROKEN'

Can we finally put the meme that Pat played Dark Souls 1 to rest???

The Drake Sword isn't exactly broken. As far as I know, the only broken weapons are the crystal ones and that's why they can't be repaired. The Drake Sword is just extremely useful for the first half of the game (or at least up to Blighttown), though maybe not for Woolie's spec.

I think it's just been a while for Pat, and since Woolie's a veteran Souls player by this point he's gonna be more thorough in his playthrough than any of us were when we first played it. I don't expect him to reach the bell for a few more episodes.

Alright well, I have a raging erection in the first five minutes of this Neir demo. Anyone else?

If it lasts more than 4 hours, delete your savedata

I'll repeat myself, it really does give me a Nier vibe.

I mean hell, it even has shmup and text adventure sections. All it needs at this point is a Diablo-level.

No diablo, but iirc they are only about half way through at this point in time, so there is plenty left to see.

It's not broken. A +4 or +5 Zwei (or most heavy weapons) does just as much damage while teaching you how to use a real moveset beyond the generic straight sword and allows for resin.

The entire point is that a new player is not going to have a +4 or +5 Zweihander at the point the Drake Sword becomes available to them, man. They're going to have a +0 Hand Axe or some other piece of utter garbage, and it's going to be a bit of chop as they struggle through the Parish before they even figure out stats and upgrading.

You pick up a Drake Sword and you've got a weapon that can chop you through the early enemies and bosses without 40 Strength or farming titanite bits or anything else. That's the whole point.

Like I said, it's not an end-game build weapon but when you're trundling around with your 60 damage a swing bullshit starter weapon and suddenly you're one-shotting dudes with something you got for taking potshots at a dragon's ass, it's a pretty big deal, especially for inexperienced players.

Xux

The Beast Cutter's so fucking cool.

OMG Bloodborne's SO FUCKING COOL YOU GUYS.

I want another Bloodborne.

Frimaire

Damn, I know "Best Friends are terrible at games" is a thing, But Woolie is kinda killing it in the Nier Demo so far.
Doing much better than I did, at least, I always got bodied in those schmup sections...

Strimei

Damn, I know "Best Friends are terrible at games" is a thing, But Woolie is kinda killing it in the Nier Demo so far.
Doing much better than I did, at least, I always got bodied in those schmup sections...

One thing he was doing did leave me with a question, though. I haven't played the demo yet (will tomorrow or so I hope) so I don't know if it does anything, but I noticed that when he was using the pod's gun a circle seemed to deplete (or something), did that actually impact anything? Because it didn't seem to do anything even when he kept firing.

Top Bottom