• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Frimaire

One thing he was doing did leave me with a question, though. I haven't played the demo yet (will tomorrow or so I hope) so I don't know if it does anything, but I noticed that when he was using the pod's gun a circle seemed to deplete (or something), did that actually impact anything? Because it didn't seem to do anything even when he kept firing.
The circle just indicates the cooldown time for the Pod Program (big laser).
Regular shooting has no cooldown/ammo.
You can also turn off the cooldown display, along with other parts of the HUD, to make more room for upgrades (in the full game).

Strimei

The circle just indicates the cooldown time for the Pod Program (big laser).
Regular shooting has no cooldown/ammo.
You can also turn off the cooldown display, along with other parts of the HUD, to make more room for upgrades (in the full game).

Ah gotcha, it felt like a cooldown for the gun as well or something, but yeah for that super laser makes more sense.

And yeah my eyes bugged out when I saw them go into those options. I had heard about it before but good lord seeing it was another.

edit: Paige loves Beast Wars. That woman is awesome.

Any hope that the other "break glass in case of emergency" game is the ps2 front mission game?

Sadly no, because Pat is wrong and thinks FM4 sucks compared to FM3.... Unless you are referring to FM5, which I don't believe he has played but just heard is good(even though it has much more in common with FM4 then 3).

Honestly, I doubt they will do any of them because its a tactical RPG and thats 'lp poison'(I disagree, but I doubt most people here would), but if they did any it would likely be FM3 for the PS1(aka front mission for casuals).

Honestly, I doubt they will do any of them because its a tactical RPG and thats 'lp poison'(I disagree, but I doubt most people here would), but if they did any it would likely be FM3 for the PS1(aka front mission for casuals).
XCOM 2 is pretty close to a tactical RPG and that was a great LP, but that game also had way better presentation than most tactical/strategy RPGs.

That said, even isometric tactical/strategy RPGs without cool camera cutins when you attack are better than those fucking turnbased RPGs where both parties stand 5 feet away from each other and hurl shit at each other.

XCOM 2 is pretty close to a tactical RPG and that was a great LP, but that game also had way better presentation than most tactical/strategy RPGs.

That said, even isometric tactical/strategy RPGs without cool camera cutins when you attack are better than those fucking turnbased RPGs where both parties stand 5 feet away from each other and hurl shit at each other.

That "LP" was also only 7 parts. I imagine Front Mission or something like it would be much longer and harder to keep entertaining for the entire duration.

Well, Xcom 2 was also only about 7 episode(i think) and I suspect that was pretty much what they planned/expected. doing a whole campaign would be another matter. And yeah, the attack animations in FM are pretty nice, but they can be slow(sometimes they will take forever just to turn around and do nothing) and then there is the whole part of planning your attacks and shit(which can take up a lot of time in the later part of the game when you have bigger parties with more options, and god knows rushing didn't help the Xcom2 lp... fortunately units dying is less of a game killer, just costs you money). Watching huge attack links going off is super cool though once you set them up.

And yes, fucking chrono trigger did it better then a lot of turnbased games do now. After playing Skies of arcadia I was so sure we'd see more systems like that, with character constantly moving and evening doing(admittedly pointless) attacks while you are choosing you turns actions, but that hasn't happened nearly as much as I had hoped it would.

That "LP" was also only 7 parts. I imagine Front Mission or something like it would be much longer and harder to keep entertaining for the entire duration.
I dunno, I think you could do an LP of Dual Gear and make it good, but that's a post XCOM:EU tactical RPG that's fully 3D and uses it to its advantage. I haven't seen a Japanese turnbased game in any of the RPG sub-genres that actually leverages 3D models, environments, and cameras as well as Firaxis does. They seem to go with the same canned animations all the time, like in the Super Robot Wars games and Valkyria Chronicles, which is boring as hell.

Edit: Front Mission 5 tries, but they don't have that panache that Firaxis does, nor the best angles in their animations, which sucks some of the hype out of it.

I dunno, I think you could do an LP of Dual Gear and make it good, but that's a post XCOM:EU tactical RPG that's fully 3D and uses it to its advantage. I haven't seen a Japanese turnbased game in any of the RPG sub-genres that actually leverages 3D models, environments, and cameras as well as Firaxis does. They seem to go with the same canned animations all the time, like in the Super Robot Wars games and Valkyria Chronicles, which is boring as hell.

It's fine for playing the game, just not great for an LP.

joe2187

Banned
Happy New years

- Liam has left the backstreet boys
- Matt has betrayed the leaf village
- Chewie and Fuckface is the new norm
- Trump is president
- David Cage will return

2017 is shaping up to be a good year.

Nordicus

The Drake Sword carried a million scrubs to victory over early bosses.
It certainly did...
long enough for them to get their shit together
...but THAT is debatable.

It screws up early learning curve and sabotages the game's attempt at showing how powerful scaling stats on weapons are and how important upgrading old weapons is, because neither of these has early impact on level of drake sword. It is a noobtrap.

You either have people quitting in Blight Town where drake sword is somewhat on par with other weapons and game is at intended difficulty, or the player smashes their head against a wall up to Sen's Fortress, if not Anor Londo, because they fail to recognize that their other weapons would now be stronger had they cared to upgrade.

Happy New years

- Matt has betrayed the leaf village

But Woolie made a solemn promise to Pat that he would bring him back! Believe it!

Nordicus said:
It screws up early learning curve and sabotages the game's attempt at showing how powerful scaling stats on weapons are and how important upgrading old weapons is, because neither of these has early impact on level of drake sword. It is a noobtrap.

To be honest, that's more a factor of Dark Souls actually being kind of shit at walking the player into the blacksmith/upgrading, to the point where players are likely to end up using a weird Easter Egg weapon before they even get a grasp on the basic system that's going to be a major part of the entire game.

Andre really should have been in Firelink Shrine. It's a lesson they learned and applied every other time in the series.

convo

I was feeling kinda ambivalent right after I played it, but maybe there's a bunch of stuff I missed.

Well yes if you don't feel like exploring the demo to the extend someone who is feeling it does and knows where to look then you will miss all the options presented to you. I am surprised myself what people find practicing the demo all day.

Since Mega Man Command Mission is done; as an LP (regardless of Liam leaving) is it worth watching?
If you like Mega Man and don't mind them going off on tangents every so often, it's okay.

Honestly, the most memorable bit of the LP for me was them losing their shit upon realizing who the final boss was.

joe2187

Banned

All the comments thinking that Pat and Woolie have lost their minds play some foofy little fairy game.

GK9bBSR.jpg

Anung

Un Rama
It's truly a shame a nothing LP like that Comman Mission is Liam's last contribution to the channel. He deserves to go out with a bang.

Top Bottom