• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Edzi

The mid-roll in DS1 isn't even bad, it's like Pat's forcing him into some warped idea of what he imagines DS1 pvp was like but for pve instead

Pat's problem is that he doesn't really know much about things he likes, but he convinces himself that he does because he likes them so much.

Gestahl

Pat's problem is that he doesn't really know much about things he likes, but he convinces himself that he does because he likes them so much.

"Can I ambush them back?"

"NO"

"That's bullshit!"

"YEAH IT IS"

Me: *turns hidden tree shrub into syrupy pulp with a Zwei r2 every time I go down that pathway*

ArjanN

What's the problem with the Drake Sword? He already knows it doesn't scale with your stats.

Let's be honest, it's a crutch that trivializes some of the earlier areas, sure the scaling means it eventually you have to change to something else, but it's basically a cheat until that point. not to mention Woolie is already 'overpowered' through his experience with the other games.

What's the problem with the Drake Sword? He already knows it doesn't scale with your stats.

Don't really care to go into it as I already did on the subreddit, but it basically makes the game too easy early on so that when you eventually have to switch off of it later on the game will feel like it gets a massive difficulty spike because you're not using an overpowered weapon for the relative zones anymore.

Gestahl

Don't really care to go into it as I already did on the subreddit, but it basically makes the game too easy early on so that when you eventually have to switch off of it later on the game will feel like it gets a massive difficulty spike because you're not using an overpowered weapon for the relative zones anymore.

Yeah, I nearly got fucked by the Drake sword on my first playthrough because I wasn't grinding shards for other weapons to compare it with and it was doing normal-looking damage till I got to like Blighttown or some place where every single standard enemy started taking 4 or 5 hits to die. Luckily I Mr. Bean'd my way through the Catacombs and found the Gravelord sword by happenstance along with a black knight great axe off a drop just when this was becoming apparent so my run was never as hampered as most newbies tended to suffer.

ArjanN

I know herp derp playing it wrong memes and all, but he definitely is compared to somone playing Dark Souls without having played the other games.

With the added advantage of Pat telling him where to go it's basically a speedrun compared to the average player who played it blind.

Let's be honest, it's a crutch that trivializes some of the earlier areas, sure the scaling means it eventually you have to change to something else, but it's basically a cheat until that point. not to mention Woolie is already 'overpowered' through his experience with the other games.

It's worked out fine for everyone else that played the game. I'm sure both of them are entirely aware that's a thing.

It's worked out fine for everyone else that played the game. I'm sure both of them are entirely aware that's a thing.

Things is though, for "everyone else" they weren't doing a Let's Play. I highly doubt Pat and Woolie want to waste an entire session in one zone having to refamiliarize themselves with the games difficulty.

Things is though, for "everyone else" they weren't doing a Let's Play. I highly doubt Pat and Woolie want to waste an entire session in one zone having to refamiliarize themselves with the games difficulty.

They can edit stuff out where necessary. I don't think this is a super huge deal really. They'll be fine. The LP will be fine.

KingKong

its definitely annoying because I was looking forward to them fighting the boar and church knights, but we've still got the struggle that is Anor Londo and O&S

Wiseblade

People whining about Woolie abusing the Drake Sword are missing the fun. I want him to suffer that hard drop when he's forced to put it away and realises a few hours of easy mode have completely dulled his senses. I want to see him scream as he hits the brick wall.

Anung

Un Rama
People whining about Woolie abusing the Drake Sword are missing the fun. I want him to suffer that hard drop when he's forced to put it away and realises a few hours of easy mode have completely dulled his senses. I want to see him scream as he hits the brick wall.

Considering how poorly he's doing with all these advantages he is going to get hit like a freight train when shit gets real.

*grabs popcorn*

I really hope they actually keep going with this and manage to find all the other minigames.

The text world thing is beyond infuriating, but the minigames are just stupid fun. There's a real time chess combat with cooldowns between moves, and they haven't come across the Dante's Inferno noir mystery yet I don't think, unless that was in the first episode.

It's worth it for the anger coming out of the screen and for the elation they feel when they uncover the weird shit. Although I'm not looking forward to them stumbling across the hardest puzzle in the game.

The text world thing is beyond infuriating, but the minigames are just stupid fun. There's a real time chess combat with cooldowns between moves, and they haven't come across the Dante's Inferno noir mystery yet I don't think, unless that was in the first episode.

It's supposed to be the computer game version of Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?, actually. I know I'm showing my age by knowing that, since that's one of those games that came on floppy discs.

It's worth it for the anger coming out of the screen and for the elation they feel when they uncover the weird shit. Although I'm not looking forward to them stumbling across the hardest puzzle in the game.

I dunno, I think among the game's biggest problems is that it plants itself hard on its fucking face when it needs to stick the landing. That language puzzle bit is just atrocious.

Just now getting around to paigebourne and although her salt and screaming are a little bothersome, I am genuinely enjoying watching her learn and improve.

MrHoot

I hope Liam organises vita tourneys/get togethers for his stream. I'd love to play soul sacrifice or Freedom wars again with some people

Wiseblade

Okay, the discussion recently has me wondering: are people watching this channel expecting high level play? Or even semi-competent? I thought is was clear that the SBFP were about fail-throughs.

MrHoot

Okay, the discussion recently has me wondering: are people watching this channel expecting high level play? Or even semi-competent? I thought is was clear that the SBFP were about fail-throughs.

It's always like that whenever they do/did a souls playthrough :^) I think what's funny or gets to people is that Pat kinda became the "Souls" guy of the channel despite him not being knowledgeable outside of the stuff he gets straight from Vaati, ENB or GermanSpy. Not that I mind, I really enjoy the DS1 playthrough. But it has always been pretty apparent, until recently where he started to talk more with Plague and he's more nuanced.

The amount of nitpicky stuff from the community tho is always funny. Yeah sure, he uses the drake sword. Or pat guides him too much. Honestly I prefer that rather than a painful crawl where we would barely get anywhere in one episode. We saw what it does to stuff like Bloodborne, dubbed Snailborne, due to the extreme caution on display

Wiseblade

I expect only the best in Quantic Dream speedruns from the SBF.

Well, that's an exception. They live in the Cage now.

It's always like that whenever they do/did a souls playthrough :^) I think what's funny or gets to people is that Pat kinda became the "Souls" guy of the channel despite him not being knowledgeable outside of the stuff he gets straight from Vaati, ENB or GermanSpy. Not that I mind, I really enjoy the DS1 playthrough. But it has always been pretty apparent, until recently where he started to talk more with Plague and he's more nuanced.

The amount of nitpicky stuff from the community tho is always funny. Yeah sure, he uses the drake sword. Or pat guides him too much. Honestly I prefer that rather than a painful crawl where we would barely get anywhere in one episode. We saw what it does to stuff like Bloodborne, dubbed Snailborne, due to the extreme caution on display
I'm not just talking about Souls, I mean everything. Whatever the game is it seems there's someone saying "I can't believe they aren't doing X!" by the third hour.

ArjanN

My issue wasn't that they'd have to adjust to the game getting harder again, but more that the earlier areas are just boring if you can kill everything that quickly, so you're just making those areas less entertaining for yourself.

zeemumu

This won't happen if he has a weapon readily available to switch to.

Top Bottom