• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Siegcram

Okay, the discussion recently has me wondering: are people watching this channel expecting high level play? Or even semi-competent? I thought is was clear that the SBFP were about fail-throughs.
I mean, this is a video game forum. Backseat gaming is kinda inevitable.

I'm just wondering why people that care about this continue to follow the channel.

I mean, this is a video game forum. Backseat gaming is kinda inevitable.

I'm just wondering why people that care about this continue to follow the channel.

A lot of people seem to misunderstand backseat gaming with a little criticism. They're free to play the game however they like.

Some of us just don't want to see their first experience with a game ruined by some of the not great things presented in said game. Then again, it is a Souls game with Pat in the passenger seat so it's already bound to have a little bit of nonsense involved.

|||||||||||||||||||||||

Don't want to double post so I'll edit this one, but am I the only one that's noticed Matt takes a vacation what seems like every few weeks recently? What could he possibly need to keep doing this for? I understand needing a break every now and then but it's seriously like once, sometimes even twice a month.

I'm sure I'll get hate for saying this, but with Liam leaving and Pat and Woolie struggling to keep the channel going by their selves it seems like Matt is just taking his sweet time on coming back by taking all these vacations when quite frankly he shouldn't be. He still does his streams and even did one with Woolie a few weeks ago. Grow up a bit and come back to take some responsibility for the channel that you ultimately started and stop taking vacation after vacation man.

That's actually his old Twitch, which he stopped using like two years ago after a few streams.

If I haven't see it before, it's new to me!

Also cool news that he's working on a game already!

I'm sure I'll get hate for saying this, but with Liam leaving and Pat and Woolie struggling to keep the channel going by their selves it seems like Matt is just taking his sweet time on coming back by taking all these vacations when quite frankly he shouldn't be. He still does his streams and even did one with Woolie a few weeks ago. Grow up a bit and come back to take some responsibility for the channel that you ultimately started and stop taking vacation after vacation man.

No I think he should he should resume his vacation until the time he planned to come back. He's not a darn on-call CEO

He's already streaming (that are getting uploaded to the channel) off the clock enough anyway

Wiseblade

I really hope you're alone on this one.

No I think he should he should resume his vacation until the time he planned to come back. He's not a darn on-call CEO

He's already streaming (that are getting uploaded to the channel) off the clock enough anyway

He was doing this type of thing even before he took a break though. In fact, ever since he took a break the only thing that has changed from our points of view is that he's not in any content on the channel.

You say he's not an on call CEO, and while that's true he's always presented himself as the boss.

I really hope you're alone on this one.

I know it sounds like I'm being an asshole saying it, but honestly the guy runs a business. He needs to treat it like one.

No, that's exactly what you are saying.

It's this type of attitude in this fan base that has honestly turned me away from it for a while. It's almost like some of you are blind to the fact that while he may have needed a break and that's perfectly fine, he is clearly well enough to present him to his fans via outlets such as his stream and even do meet ups. Essentially, everything except working on videos and participating in LP's and the Podcast.

You seem to be taking it as me saying that he needs to forget about his health and work himself to death. No. What I'm saying is that based on clear evidence that anyone with eyes can see, he seems perfectly fine in EVERY outlet we can see him in and there seems to be no reason he can't return to help out the guys when they're clearly struggling to keep things going at a normal pace simply because of some arbitrary date.

It's this type of attitude in this fan base that has honestly turned me away from it for a while. It's almost like some of you are blind to the fact that while he may have needed a break and that's perfectly fine, he is clearly well enough to present him to his fans via outlets such as his stream and even do meet ups. Essentially, everything except working on videos and participating in LP's and the Podcast.

You seem to be taking it as me saying that he needs to forget about his health and work himself to death. No. What I'm saying is that based on clear evidence that anyone with eyes can see, he seems perfectly fine in EVERY outlet we can see him in and there seems to be no reason he can't return to help out the guys when they're clearly struggling to keep things going at a normal pace simply because of some arbitrary date.

Seems perfectly fine. Seems. Mental health and illness isn't something you can just see, and people can be very good at hiding what's going on under the hood.

I'm honestly ok with a drop in content amount for just a little bit. And I hope Pat and Woolie think about taking some time off soon as well.

It's time for Matt to really embrace his American heritage.

Lol this is a little too real

Edzi

I've said this before, but some people are really taking the whole "mental illness" thing a bit too far. Yeah, mental illness is super important and needs to be taken seriously, but all Matt (and Liam) said essentially was that he was burnt out and feeling anxiety. That stuff is normal, and yeah, he probably deserves a vacation, but so many of you are acting like he just got diagnosed with cancer or something that it's a bit much.

And I say this as someone who regularly suffers from anxiety as well.

Grow up a bit and come back to take some responsibility for the channel that you ultimately started and stop taking vacation after vacation man.

I hope you're the only one who feels like this. He took time off for his marriage and his honeymoon. Kind of important moments in time. Other vacations before he's basically just ended up not on the podcast, but he still had all the content rolling out with his voice, so it's obviously been handled fine.

I thought it sounded like there was more going on than just the channel in his life or something? Something to do with the family?

Besides that, Pat and Woolie have been doing fine on their own. I don't know where you get the struggling bit from, just because they missed an upload slot due to the computer doing its own thing. If they're sticking to work in the office, it wouldn't have mattered if Matt was on or not.

And I say this as someone who regularly suffers from anxiety as well.

I've got someone in my life where anxiety basically kills them to the point of being unable to leave the room. It takes a lot of different forms and different ways of manifesting, who's really to say (other than Matt) what he needs?

Besides that, Pat and Woolie have been doing fine on their own. I don't know where you get the struggling bit from, just because they missed an upload slot due to the computer doing its own thing. If they're sticking to work in the office, it wouldn't have mattered if Matt was on or not.
The reason why it seems like there's a struggle is that, aside from DS1 and Titanfall 2, it's just been a lot of oneshots (although I guess Frog Fractions 2 is a two shot thing), two or three Matt stream VODs, and even a few Machinima reuploads, which doesn't seem sustainable. It feels like they need a second LP to fill in the gap, but because Liam isn't there anymore, it's super hard for them to do it, because it'll probably burn them out faster than just doing a bunch of oneshots + the DS1 LP.

There's also the problem of figuring out what game to LP, because I don't remember any Pat and Woolie LPs besides Dark Souls 1 & 2, Parasite Eve, Mirror's Edge, and Titanfall 2, so I dunno what other kinds of games would work as a second Pat and Woolie LP anyway.

Edzi

I hope you're the only one who feels like this. He took time off for his marriage and his honeymoon. Kind of important moments in time. Other vacations before he's basically just ended up not on the podcast, but he still had all the content rolling out with his voice, so it's obviously been handled fine.

I thought it sounded like there was more going on than just the channel in his life or something? Something to do with the family?

I've got someone in my life where anxiety basically kills them to the point of being unable to leave the room. It takes a lot of different forms and different ways of manifesting, who's really to say (other than Matt) what he needs?

I mean, I guess you're free to think his condition is that crippling even when there's little reason to think that. All I'm saying is that most people seem to be severely overreacting.

Woolie talking about the trees in Darkroot Garden makes me wish that Dumbass Mimics With No Plan was a thing in Dark Souls.

Like Mimics who just turned themselves into free-standing doors in the middle of a field or something and you just walk up to them like, "Bless your heart, you tried your best lil buddy."

I mean, I guess you're free to think his condition is that crippling even when there's little reason to think that. All I'm saying is that most people seem to be severely overreacting.

I'm not saying it's crippling, I'm just giving an example of how anxiety might manifest for someone else.

Strimei

why are the Dark Souls episodes getting even shorter :(

Mentioned it a few days ago but I'm getting a vibe that things are running on fumes right now.

The only LP running is Dark Souls. Liam's gone, Matt's on vacation still until near the end of the month at least for RE7 (and even that LP will likely take a few days before it gets going), and so the guys are doing one-offs, reuploads, stream-uploads, and...that's about it.

So yeah they're padding things out too.

Edzi

Liam's stream layout is godawful, but hey, at least he'll upload his streams to YouTube.

He's got his own youtube channel now too? I guess it should have been obvious, but I kinda didn't expect him to just go fullblown solo content creator already. Kinda happy for him, you always got the impression that he might have felt a bit limited as the "anime guy" on SBFP.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Did anyone else notice on the podcast they said "New LP" but so far we've only got one offs. You know.... except for... Glittermove Glove or whatever its called!

Archgan

Did anyone else notice on the podcast they said "New LP" but so far we've only got one offs. You know.... except for... Glittermove Glove or whatever its called!
They also said something like it would be a continuation of a previous LP they did. The only things I could think of would be Mirror's Edge Catalyst or Parasite Eve 2.

Strimei

Checking out the first upload of Liam's new streaming. If there's one thing I dislike more than having a camera on the streamer, its having a camera on the streamer and they have a greenscreen behind them so they're just floating over the gameplay.

Perhaps its odd of me, to actually want more screenspace taken away but...I dunno, I just don't like it.

Also oof Liam needs to work on those sound levels, I winced at normal volume.

Y'know, I'm subbed to these guys and had no idea they were gaf members til now, holy shit.

They reference GAF at least once a week. Pat is the only one that I think really posts though. Matt has been banned and don't know if Woolie/Liam's account (assuming they have them) are known. Listening to them is how I and a handful of others learned of GAF.

Menitta

They reference GAF at least once a week. Pat is the only one that I think really posts though. Matt has been banned and don't know if Woolie/Liam's account (assuming they have them) are known. Listening to them is how I and a handful of others learned of GAF.

I discovered this place because of the podcast. They were right. This place is
crazy...in a good way? I guess? I don't know.

They also said something like it would be a continuation of a previous LP they did. The only things I could think of would be Mirror's Edge Catalyst or Parasite Eve 2.

COME OOOOOOON YAKUZA

Moonlight

Banned
They literally browse GAF for the news sometimes on the live broadcast, lol.

Also Liam streaming all of GRR and planning on streaming GR2 is the best and heals all the wounds that the timing of his departure left on me.

Assuming they mean an LP they did together specifically, Catalyst sounds likelier, though it'd rule if they did Parasite Eve 2. Not that it's a better game than the first or anything, but Pat and Woolie navigating long, convoluted plots are always my favourite sort of LP from them.

kiaaa

Maybe I'm just not all that aware of the work they put into the channel, but it basically boils down to roughly 7 hours of lightly edited content a week, right? Well, that and the podcast. They could basically knock the videos out in a couple short sessions.

I just never really understood how they ran low on content, especially when it was all four of them. I feel like a part-time job requires more of a time commitment.

Siegcram

Maybe I'm just not all that aware of the work they put into the channel, but it basically boils down to roughly 7 hours of lightly edited content a week, right? Well, that and the podcast. They could basically knock the videos out in a couple short sessions.

I just never really understood how they ran low on content, especially when it was all four of them. I feel like a part-time job requires more of a time commitment.
So what you're saying is you know nothing about video editing.

kiaaa

So what you're saying is you know nothing about video editing.

Look, I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert. I've only done very minor editing/clip compilations. I just don't see the amount of editing they do taking any extraordinary amount of time. It's rare that their videos are more than chopped up sessions with an intro and outro. Syncing the audio might be a little annoying, but there are ways to make that pretty easy, too.

If I'm way off base, feel free to tell me why.

I'd guess they'd spend at minimal 10-15 hours a week recording and editing. That's including prep/setup time, but not accounting for significant issues. That's JUST their video uploads however. They also have a podcast which often goes 3-4 hours in length. So with prep they probably spend at least 5 recording that, longer if they need to coordinate with guests. And then that needs to be edited to be uploaded as well. So I think at minimal there's 20 hours a week to recording and editing things. That's not including uploading and announcing their releases, which are probably 20-30 mins per upload.

edit: I also forgot the time they (or at least Woolie) spends researching topics for the podcast. I imagine that's at least an hour or two each day scanning game news.

Siegcram

Look, I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert. I've only done very minor editing/clip compilations. I just don't see the amount of editing they do taking any extraordinary amount of time. It's rare that their videos are more than chopped up sessions with an intro and outro. Syncing the audio might be a little annoying, but there are ways to make that pretty easy, too.

If I'm way off base, feel free to tell me why.
Yeah sure, if you're handwaiving synching multiple audio tracks among themselves and with video, it's no biggie.

Truth is it's a massive pain in the ass that still has to be done manually. Add that to dealing with YT's interface and, you know, actually recording, you end up with a lot of work.

And that's completely disregarding stuff that comes with every job like scheduling, organizing and things like con appearances.

Matt and Pat have both mentioned (albeit sparingly) gameplay sessions or even entire games they've done that just ended up being unusable for quality reasons.

I don't think it happens super often, but they probably do have some "dead" days where they come in to record and there are too many problems (hi Omikron) whether technical or otherwise, or where the game in question just turns out to be Actually Nothing and the whole video just gets scrapped.

Checking out the first upload of Liam's new streaming. If there's one thing I dislike more than having a camera on the streamer, its having a camera on the streamer and they have a greenscreen behind them so they're just floating over the gameplay.

Perhaps its odd of me, to actually want more screenspace taken away but...I dunno, I just don't like it.

Also oof Liam needs to work on those sound levels, I winced at normal volume.
It wasn't a greenscreen. It was some weird tech that lets people digitally erase their surroundings, because at one point, Liam turned it off to show off his girlfriend's desk.

It wasn't a greenscreen. It was some weird tech that lets people digitally erase their surroundings, because at one point, Liam turned it off to show off his girlfriend's desk.

Huh, if you know what that is, I'd be interested in reading about it just from a technical perspective. I assume most Twitch streamers just use a basic chroma key setup (ie, green screen), but I suppose you could do something with an auto-focus camera to hide out-of-focus objects (which, if you have the room arranged properly, would be everything further back in the field of view than the streamer), maybe?

Archgan

Matt and Pat have both mentioned (albeit sparingly) gameplay sessions or even entire games they've done that just ended up being unusable for quality reasons.

I don't think it happens super often, but they probably do have some "dead" days where they come in to record and there are too many problems (hi Omikron) whether technical or otherwise, or where the game in question just turns out to be Actually Nothing and the whole video just gets scrapped.
Liam just mentioned on his stream yesterday that there was like an hour long video he and Woolie recorded for Gravity Rush a couple years ago that they had to scrap because it would desync everytime the screen went black and it would have been a lot of work to fix.

He is planning to get an actual green screen soon, though.

Top Bottom