• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Frimaire

I'm playing Lisa: The Painful right now, and these guys look kinda familiar...
EEB88C0745F72CADC8ECE346A325B0D66BA58658
I'm pretty sure I remember Woolie playing this game a while ago, did he mention this and I just forgot?

Archgan

I'm playing Lisa: The Painful right now, and these guys look kinda familiar...

I'm pretty sure I remember Woolie playing this game a while ago, did he mention this and I just forgot?

I vaguely remember that being brought up when Woolie was talking about it on the podcast, but I'm pretty sure Matt and Pat already knew so it was just some small comment from Pat or someone saying something like, "Don't trust us."

Frimaire

I vaguely remember that being brought up when Woolie was talking about it on the podcast, but I'm pretty sure Matt and Pat already knew so it was just some small comment from Pat or someone saying something like, "Don't trust us."

Who wouldn't trust Matt with Dynamite?

Pat: Save your hate
for the 3rd Birthday
oh.......oh no.............

NOICE.

If this is what we get I hope Matt never comes back BREAK ALL THE GLASS.

Matt comes back opens the door to Castle Superbeast and a cascade of glass shards spills out of the office

Village

Anyone else like the individual streams more than the channel stuff

Like If they kinda started splitting in the sense that the just also supplemented more thoughtful playthroughs with steam content , I would be ok.

Like If they kinda started splitting in the sense that the just also supplemented more thoughtful playthroughs with steam content , I would be ok.

I haven't watched any of the LP's in a while aside from DS1 recently. I transitioned mostly to a podcast listener a while ago. The solo streams are a nice breath of fresh air though because they're just entirely different types of content.

Strimei

It wasn't a greenscreen. It was some weird tech that lets people digitally erase their surroundings, because at one point, Liam turned it off to show off his girlfriend's desk.

Oh, neat, didn't know that was a thing.

Not me. I'm ok with streaming but it just doesn't have the same feel as LPs and I prefer those, and kind of feel like uploads of streams in place of LP stuff is a bit lazy, to boot. If I wanted to watch them stream or old videos of their streams, I'd watch it on their twitch channel. But that's just me. I've come to realize that I'm a bit of an outlier when it comes to streaming and its conventions anyway.

edit: One thing I do like about streams though, Pat's/Paige's anyway, is the absolutely bonkers shit I see. Especially when I miss a stream and have to figure out what spawned this:

Matt's solo streams aren't the best. I think the only ones I've really enjoyed were co-op ones or the ones where Woolie was at his place.

Pat, on the other hand, can totally pull off the solo stream thing, simply because he's fucking insane and can ramble on about all sorts of shit. But since Paige is often around for his streams, things get even better, because they have great chemistry.

SBF Emeritus Liam, like Matt, struggles in the single stream format a bit. I don't remember what his super early streams were like, but that Gravity Rush Remastered stream was at its best when he was talking about the gameplay mechanics and his past experiences playing the game, and the rest was just kinda "meh." That said, he's probably super rusty at streaming, so he might be able to improve.

Matt's solo streams aren't the best. I think the only ones I've really enjoyed were co-op ones or the ones where Woolie was at his place.

Pat, on the other hand, can totally pull off the solo stream thing, simply because he's fucking insane and can ramble on about all sorts of shit. But since Paige is often around for his streams, things get even better, because they have great chemistry.

SBF Emeritus Liam, like Matt, struggles in the single stream format a bit. I don't remember what his super early streams were like, but that Gravity Rush Remastered stream was at its best when he was talking about the gameplay mechanics and his past experiences playing the game, and the rest was just kinda "meh." That said, he's probably super rusty at streaming, so he might be able to improve.

I actually like Liam's type of stream the most of the guys solo streams. Pat and Paige are definitely amusing to watch, but the knowledge and general enthusiasm for the game Liam is playing is what I love to see in a stream/let's play/whatever. I haven't caught many of Matt's streams but in Pat's streams he tends to not pay very much attention to what's going on in the game unless there's a cutscene but Liam will actually take the time to explore a game and its mysteries.

Pat: Save your hate
for the 3rd Birthday
oh.......oh no.............
I've never played 3rd birthday but I had the misfortune of spend good money on PE2, so I think my hate is directed at exactly where it needs to be. I don't even think I bothered to complete the first level, I was just so disappointed.

Anung

Un Rama
Pat's streams are very enjoyable, especially with Paige around.

I think their stream is way better than the SBF streams and they could probably really make a go of it if they went off on their own.

Honestly though if SBFP went full streams I'd unsubscribe. That kinda stuff is fine as one offs but that's not the kind of content I enjoy from the guys.

Edzi

So wait, SBFP and Liam are both streaming the Nintendo conference? Heh, didn't expect them to become competitors.

I think their stream is way better than the SBF streams and they could probably really make a go of it if they went off on their own.

Honestly though if SBFP went full streams I'd unsubscribe. That kinda stuff is fine as one offs but that's not the kind of content I enjoy from the guys.

To be totally honest, the guys haven't really been making the content I originally enjoyed from them for a long time. The podcast is essentially all I'm left with, alongside the occasional one off.

To be fair though, their streams can be fun and they don't fall into the pitfalls of most popular streamers (like begging for money and constantly reading off subs) so I definitely appreciate that.

Edzi

Don't look at it like that. They're just doing their own things that just so happens to involve watching the same live thing.

Doesn't really matter how you choose to look at it, people are gonna have to choose one of them if they're interested in watching the live conference through a stream.

I actually like Liam's type of stream the most of the guys solo streams. Pat and Paige are definitely amusing to watch, but the knowledge and general enthusiasm for the game Liam is playing is what I love to see in a stream/let's play/whatever. I haven't caught many of Matt's streams but in Pat's streams he tends to not pay very much attention to what's going on in the game unless there's a cutscene but Liam will actually take the time to explore a game and its mysteries.
I think that if Liam's presentation skills improved, his streams could be really high tier stuff. It's just that right now, the gap between the engaging and non-engaging stuff in his stream is pretty high, which sucks some of the life out of a slower paced LP or stream.

Doesn't really matter how you choose to look at it, people are gonna have to choose one of them if they're interested in watching the live conference through a stream.

Personally I'll be watching SBF live and Liam's VOD after because I would have to sub to watch the SBF one after and I can just watch Liam's on his Twitch.

Personally I'll be watching SBF live and Liam's VOD after because I would have to sub to watch the SBF one after and I can just watch Liam's on his Twitch.
I'm betting Pat and Woolie will upload the Switch one to the website ASAP, since it'll help them fill out the schedule.

I think that if Liam's presentation skills improved, his streams could be really high tier stuff. It's just that right now, the gap between the engaging and non-engaging stuff in his stream is pretty high, which sucks some of the life out of a slower paced LP or stream.

All things considered I think his presentation was done rather well. A lot of streamers with the types of numbers he was pulling will occasionally say a few words every 5-10 minutes but Liam was going pretty much nonstop. From my own experience I can say that that's a very tough thing to do when you're not very happy with what you're playing, but it's the easiest thing in the world when you're actually enjoying it.

That's why I think I enjoyed his stream so much, because I could tell he was really enjoying it. Pat and Paige are the same when they're both on stream together but when they're solo they sort of fall into that dead air space.

I'm betting Pat and Woolie will upload the Switch one to the website ASAP, since it'll help them fill out the schedule.

They will, but I wanna see it tonight. :p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Don't look at it like that. They're just doing their own things that just so happens to involve watching the same live thing.

Any way you look at it, the fact is that it's what, a month later? And Liam's already got a stream and Youtube set up to, as far as we can tell right now, do virtually the same things he was doing with the Best Friends, just solo. Maybe not specifically doing LPs, but still, talking about video games in front of a camera. It just seems...weird. If it were just anxiety, I feel like he wouldn't have so quickly gone back to streaming/Youtube. I'm not going to push the matter any further because frankly, it's nobody's business but Liam's as to why he left the group. I just think there's definitely more going on behind the scenes that we don't (and may never) know.

Edzi

Any way you look at it, the fact is that it's what, a month later? And Liam's already got a stream and Youtube set up to, as far as we can tell right now, do virtually the same things he was doing with the Best Friends, just solo. Maybe not specifically doing LPs, but still, talking about video games in front of a camera. It just seems...weird. If it were just anxiety, I feel like he wouldn't have so quickly gone back to streaming/Youtube. I'm not going to push the matter any further because frankly, it's nobody's business but Liam's as to why he left the group. I just think there's definitely more going on behind the scenes that we don't (and may never) know.

I don't think it's as dire as you're implying, but I do think anxiety is the new buzzword everyone likes to throw out to validate or gain sympathy for certain decisions. He pretty clearly just wanted to do his own thing, and was tired of the SBFP schtick. Nothing really wrong with that, and I'm happy for him for actually going out and doing it instead of stagnating somewhere he didn't want to be.

But yeah, it is sort of amusing how quickly he set up shop.

Apparently these were his thoughts on people posting his content on the SBFP Reddit

I think is that Super Stream content shouldn't go in r/TwoBestFriendsPlay and vice versa, and I think that should be a hard rule. There's no animosity, but I need to separate from that brand and try to grow this without Matt, Pat, and Woolie seeing my solo stuff all over their subreddit every other day.

Weird thing about Liam is like... HIs brand is entirely tied to Super Best Friends, I'd say that's probably where his entire audience comes from. I think it's silly of him to not let people post it elsewhere. I mean Patrick Klepek's stuff still gets posted in GB stuff all the time and the dude hasn't been a part of the site for years now.

Anung

Un Rama
The whole situation is a little odd. But chances are if there is anything going on we'll never know the circumstances. Still, good on Liam trying to make it on his own.

Weird thing about Liam is like... HIs brand is entirely tied to Super Best Friends, I'd say that's probably where his entire audience comes from. I think it's silly of him to not let people post it elsewhere. I mean Patrick Klepek's stuff still gets posted in GB stuff all the time and the dude hasn't been a part of the site for years now.

It's not that he doesn't want people to do it because he doesn't want to be associated. He just doesn't want his identity to forever be known as "That guy who used to be in Best Friends" which is totally understandable.

Archgan

I think he said said that the Youtube is just going to be for stream archives, but who knows if his plans will change.

Also, about the anxiety thing, it seems like both Matt and Liam really enjoy streaming because of, I assume, the immediate audience feedback and the lack of additional editing. I don't have much experience with streaming/LPing, but I can imagine it being frustrating spending a significant chunk of time editing an LP or something and finding out that a lot of people didn't like it.

I think he said said that the Youtube is just going to be for stream archives, but who knows if his plans will change.

Also, about the anxiety thing, it seems like both Matt and Liam really enjoy streaming because of, I assume, the immediate audience feedback and the lack of additional editing. I don't have much experience with streaming/LPing, but I can imagine it being frustrating spending a significant chunk of time editing an LP or something and finding out that a lot of people didn't like it.

He also gets to make his own schedule and the workload for his stream is a lot less than what he did as a member of SBF (He confirmed this on twitter). I also remember him getting pretty mad at himself on twitter following one of the podcasts, had to due with him starting his usual random arguments on the podcast.

Reminds me of ENBs video from a while back about why he was going to focus on streaming. The RELATIVE ease of streaming is a part of it, but the instant feed back and actually having the ability to mod the chat and shit plus the fact it was just worth more money in general made it an easy choice for him. It sucks for me personally as I prefer the format he(and others) use on youtube over steaming, but I really can't blame him for going that route.

Disgraced

There are situations where I can at once understand gaming CCs' decision to abandon their styles to stream full-time and resent their sacrifice of integrity for practicality.

Top Bottom