• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Liam, you manage to turn the Starfox lp from -10 to over 9000 in less than 5 minutes.
7rj2ZgttvgomY.gif

Shitstorm is almost here get hype!!!

Also, between the Sonic Adventure LP and that top 10 SBF moment with Liam trolling the fuck out of Woolie in Star Fox, The WooLiaMatt combo is easily becoming my favorite. Can't wait to see what they team up for next.

The P.T. thread reminded me how great the group's reaction to the ghost in the mirror was.

Matt: Yeah I beat'em!!

Can't wait for Shitstorm.

Also, Two Best Friends Play Metal Gear Solid V - The Phantom Pain (Part 12)

Liam has been knocking it out the park in Metal Gear.

Have they said what style this shitstorm will be in? couple games with multiple parts or a bunch of one offs.

Actually now that I remember, Shitstorm 3 was a mix.

Disgraced

Thank God Starfox is over.
yes
I strongly agree with Woolie that the Metal Gear story blowback's exaggerated. The story's good. It could be better; it's not the best of the series, but it's good. It's always going to be divisive as is every game in the series, but ten years from now, people are going to love it and hate it for the same and completely different reasons than they do now. Not to say complex valid criticism and analysis like Bunnyhop's and others like it can't be done right now, but the game only came out this month—with how vast and intricate the series is (particularly V regardless of its cut content)—it's going to take years to get a grip of everything inside. I like MGS a lot and like to think I know a lot about it but like others to this day I'm still learning new things about 2 and 3. I'm learning new things about V daily even after a hundred hours or so. That's crazy. Pretentious as it is, I think it's impossible to say anything definitive or profound about the whole package presently.
Liam has been knocking it out the park in Metal Gear.
Speaking of, yeah, I said earlier I didn't like the Phantom Pain LP, but I'm warming up to it now. Liam's ballsiness and screw-ups are pretty entertaining, and I appreciate the efficiency that's coming with ten-minute-longer episodes. Earlier lengthy LPs like Souls 2 and Bloodborne could've benefited from more of this. Still could use some more cutting, I didn't need to see
the frustrating search for the warehouse door,
but for the most part "it's fine."

Edzi

yesI strongly agree with Woolie that the Metal Gear story blowback's exaggerated. The story's good. It could be better; it's not the best of the series, but it's good. It's always going to be divisive as is every game in the series, but ten years from now, people are going to love it and hate it for the same and completely different reasons than they do now. Not to say complex valid criticism and analysis like Bunnyhop's and others like it can't be done right now, but the game only came out this month—with how vast and intricate the series is (particularly V regardless of its cut content)—it's going to take years to get a grip of everything inside. I like MGS a lot and like to think I know a lot about it but like others to this day I'm still learning new things about 2 and 3. I'm learning new things about V daily even after a hundred hours or so. That's crazy. Pretentious as it is, I think it's impossible to say anything definitive or profound about the whole package presently.

I've yet to listen to the podcast, but it sounds like Woolie is downplaying the criticisms to the story? That's really disappointing to hear if so, though of the four of them, I expected Woolie and Liam to be the most forgiving since they seem the most susceptible to the overall hype surrounding a game. It's Pat and especially Matt (because of his love of MGS3) that I'm expecting to be the most critical.

Disgraced

I've yet to listen to the podcast, but it sounds like Woolie is downplaying the criticisms to the story? That's really disappointing to hear if so, though of the four of them, I expected Woolie and Liam to be the most forgiving since they seem the most susceptible to the overall hype surrounding a game. It's Pat and especially Matt (because of his love of MGS3) that I'm expecting to be the most critical.
He said he thinks the story's good and some of the things people are saying about it (without being specific so as to avoid spoilers) are exaggerated. I agree with him. The rest of my post is my opinion.

This all depends on your perspective, I see much of the criticism as hyperbole so to "downplay" that criticism is more like restraint and critical thought to me. At the moment I foresee this engagement going far beyond Woolie's comments/the Zaibatsu's opinion of the game, so if you're down to debate about it PM me or see me in Metal Gear GAF sometime.

Jamie OD

just beat Quiet in a Sniper battle
Like a Man
none of this dropping boxes on people pussy ass shit

Damn straight!

I tried the supply drop tactic but she moved out of the way so I figured there was no point in trying it again. The fight felt like it lasted an hour for me trying to tranq her.

Anung

Un Rama
but the game only came out this month—with how vast and intricate the series is (particularly V regardless of its cut content)—it's going to take years to get a grip of everything inside. I like MGS a lot and like to think I know a lot about it but like others to this day I'm still learning new things about 2 and 3.

I disagree. I legitimately believe that time isn't going to be kind to this game. Both on a story front and in terms of replayability. I certainly don't think its going to have a MGS2-style critical turnaround. The game just isn't that deep.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I'd happily eat crow. But this game is too surface level, poorly paced and scattershot for me to believe that some intentional fourth wall shit is going to save it. The game reeks of many production issues and Konami interference that compromised the quality of the game overall.

Double EDIT: I don't think the story is even terrible. It has plenty of good scenes and the tapes are stellar. Just the shit pacing, mission structure and rubbish ending that drag it down.

Disgraced

I disagree. I legitimately believe that time isn't going to be kind to this game. Both on a story front and in terms of replayability. I certainly don't think its going to have a MGS2-style critical turnaround. The game just isn't that deep.
Y'know, you might be right. Tell you what, I'll get back to you in ten years and we'll pick up where we left off.
;)

Seriously though, I'm not predicting an MGS2-style critical turnaround. I think this is a very different situation because it's a very different game. That said, far as I'm concerned it's still Metal Gear and a fucking ginormous one at that. It does tons of things at once. I don't see a majority warming up to V so much I see it never reaching a consensus. I'm betting on an everlasting debate.

Disgraced

http://www.jobnimbus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/A-Third-of-Leads-Are-Not-Getting-Called-Back-skeleton-waiting-image.jpg

10 years later...

What took you so long?...

The magic words...

I've been waiting nine years to hear 'em...

C'mon, say it for old times' sake...

I have no internet for another week, so fuck I've got at least 14 videos to catch up on (minus Danganronpa) and then another 14 on top of that (minus Danganropa).

But I went to the library to get the podcast because I need my fix dammit.

Xiraiya

It's astounding how ineffective Pat and Liam are in that viscount mission because of their total lack of ability to pay attention to what's going on, I get it's harder when doing an LP but it shouldn't be completely impossible.
It's also kind of crazy to me how much Liam has played in between recordings and just seems like he hasn't adapted or really learned anything at all beyond Ground Zeroes.

105.Will

God, Some things Liam says on the podcast drive me absolutely crazy. He takes things way to seriously some times. Like, you know Pat hates most new resident evil games LET HIM HATE IT IN PEACE.

Anung

Un Rama
God, Some things Liam says on the podcast drive me absolutely crazy. He takes things way to seriously some times. Like, you know Pat hates most new resident evil games LET HIM HATE IT IN PEACE.

Hyper defensive contrarian Liam is one of my few dislikes about the podcast. Playing devil's advocate adds diversity to the opinions, I get it, but doing it FOR EVERYTHING just gets tiring.

Edzi

Hyper defensive contrarian Liam is one of my few dislikes about the podcast. Playing devil's advocate adds diversity to the opinions, I get it, but doing it FOR EVERYTHING just gets tiring.

He's actually the reason why I can't go back and listen to certain podcasts. When he gets like that (which happens way too often) I just want to pull my hair out.

Numb

People shit on his weirdness alot so he tries not to do it often. But whenever he diagrees with something he is super duper hard headed about and argues forever. Basically does stuff in extremes. Either 100% stealthing or 100% blowing everything up.

Xiraiya

I was thinking recently my dislike of Liam had subsided but I also remembered I haven't listened to the Podcasts in forever except for one or two randomly.

Skrams

I'm in the don't really notice or care camp. I'll see if I notice it in the latest podcast when I listen to it. If it's just another one of the many times Liam responds to Pat's crazy comments with dead seriousness then oh well.

kewlmyc

I don't mind the Devil's Advocate Liam, since it can't be interesting at times, but he tends to do it when Pat is just saying random stupid shit that should be ignored. He's getting better at it though.

If we're talking about the podcast though, they're still really bad about talking over each other. Mostly Pat and Liam cutting of Matt a lot. Part of the charm of the podcast I guess, but let Matt get a word in more without cutting him off 5 times in a row.

Xiraiya

I don't mind the Devil's Advocate Liam, since it can't be interesting at times, but he tends to do it when Pat is just saying random stupid shit that should be ignored. He's getting better at it though.
If we're talking about the podcast though, they're still really bad about talking over each other. Mostly Pat and Liam cutting of Matt a lot. Part of the charm of the podcast I guess, but let Matt get a word in more without cutting him off 5 times in a row.
I don't know, between Matt having nothing to say except stuff unrelated to what everyone else is talking about and him straight up being "No fuck you, no one wants to hear your week" to Woolie or whoever because it's not what he wants to talk about.
Him being forced to say nothing is not exactly the worst thing to happen.

Syder

Hmmm, I get the feeling that Liam (and maybe Pat too) is playing(/reading) ahead of where they are in the MGSV LP. I know a lot of the story points of the game were called out even before release but it's still a little fishy.

Also, take a shot every time you hear 'in Ground Zeroes'.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Hmmm, I get the feeling that Liam (and maybe Pat too) is playing(/reading) ahead of where they are in the MGSV LP. I know a lot of the story points of the game were called out even before release but it's still a little fishy.

Well they do record their videos in advance.

That's my only real gripe with this LP.

We get it dude. You played a lot of Ground Zeroes. Even the rest of the group are tired of hearing him say it constantly. You're not playing Ground Zeroes, so please drop it.

Top Bottom