• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

aly

Frankly, the podcast has become inaudible too often that I care to listen anymore.

I just look at the links on their site to see what they're talking about.

I do that too sometimes, but mostly to see if they are going over anything I care about. Sometimes I wish there some magical program out there that could auto create time stamps in podcasts to skip to the bits you want to hear.

They need to do an individual mic setup.The audio quality isn't as bad as it used to be but it's so annoying when one or two talk really loudly, and you can hear some conversation in the background, but you don't know what they're saying. Or rent out an actual podcast room/set up a proper podcast room with noise dampening walls.

They need to do an individual mic setup.The audio quality isn't as bad as it used to be but it's so annoying when one or two talk really loudly, and you can hear some conversation in the background, but you don't know what they're saying. Or rent out an actual podcast room/set up a proper podcast room with noise dampening walls.

That would involve spending money, which I believe the Zaibatsu are against doing.

I would've hoped they actually moved on from the one mic setup they've done since the first podcast, but nah.

They want to be as low effort as possible sometimes.

That would involve spending money, which I believe the Zaibatsu are against doing.

Well Matt is going to have his wedding and we don't actually know how the other Zaibatsu spend their lives, so that's a rather unfair thing to say. If their current set up is working fine for them when it comes to making money, then they have little reason to want to update things.

Well Matt is going to have his wedding and we don't actually know how the other Zaibatsu spend their lives, so that's a rather unfair thing to say. If their current set up is working fine for them when it comes to making money, then they have little reason to want to update things.

Except it isn't and multiple people in the thread, the subreddit, and in general have expressed frustration with the inaudible audio at times.

I tried showing the Podcast to a friend that was into the same things the Zaibatsu like, he could get past 10 minutes.

Separating their audio and buying separate mics would be a worthwhile expense, if only to allow everyone the ability to talk.

You knew what you were getting yourself in Dok.
I listen to it in the background and don't notice much.

It was fine when they were just getting into podcasting but its past 100 episodes already and I'd like to actually be able to listen and follow then more than background noise.

Except it isn't and multiple people in the thread, the subreddit, and in general have expressed frustration with the inaudible audio at times.

You'll note that I said "works fine FOR THEM when it comes to making money," not for us. Also bear in mind that the reddit and thread here are microcosms of what their overall audience could be.

Send an ask to Matt on his tumblr about it, or Woolie/Pat on Twitter.

Numb

That's a poor excuse. It's more than background noise to many.

Not making excuses. It's the same thing of paying little attention to subjects you don't care about being talked about. I am sure i'll hear what you guys are saying if i pay more attention.Also re-listen to them alot so background listening is a habit combined with the speed i listen to probably is a different experience.

Mat-triX

Man, Pat was acting like a bitchy asshole through the whole Podcast. If it wasn't something he liked/cared about, he would dismiss it as shit. I still can't believe he's not a character cause I would hate him as a real person.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Man, Pat was acting like a bitchy asshole through the whole Podcast. If it wasn't something he liked/cared about, he would dismiss it as shit. I still can't believe he's not a character cause I would hate him as a real person.
Thats Pat for ya. He can be irrational and rational at the same time. Or maybe he's more cynical and on edge because of last week's incident.

Numb

It was fine when they were just getting into podcasting but its past 100 episodes already and I'd like to actually be able to listen and follow then more than background noise.
I'm sure they will fix it if brought up.
Thats Pat for ya. He can be irrational and rational at the same time. Or maybe he's more cynical and on edge because of last week's incident.
He was indeed alittle different than usual.
Noticing people are getting more easily irritated than before nowadays or am i the one that hasn't changed his views on them since day 1?

He was indeed alittle different than usual.
Noticing people are getting more easily irritated than before nowadays or am i the one that hasn't changed his views on them since day 1?

It's not just you. I've been noticing a lot of frustrations with all the guys in some form recently.

Aw man Pat getting a pissed off reaction out of Liam reminded me of my best friends and how they would say shit to get a reaction out of me. So good.

In Woolie's AMA he flatly said they were "shittier for what they do."

I have to assume he means the effort involved increasing from syncing mics, otherwise he's insane.

Skrams

Listened to the podcast expecting Liam devil advocate everywhere, but all I got was Pat being a pissy little baby over Resident Evil. Then Liam rightfully told him to shut up or something. It was enjoyable.

Edzi

Listened to the podcast expecting Liam devil advocate everywhere, but all I got was Pat being a pissy little baby over Resident Evil. Then Liam rightfully told him to shut up or something. It was enjoyable.

Just got to that part, and yeah, Pat was being a prick.

I wonder if it's too late to get into
Beast Wars

It's never too late. Just set your expectations accordingly. 90s era 3D... At the time it was actually really good.

Best Transformers ever IMO. Then again I am a biologist so I might be slightly biased.

In Woolie's AMA he flatly said they were "shittier for what they do."

I have to assume he means the effort involved increasing from syncing mics, otherwise he's insane.

I'm sorry but fuck that. It's not really that hard to sync mics, I did that with camcorder interviews for my high school video production classes.

Hope hes okay

ER visits aren't ever that fun, I'm sure they're still worried about whatever had happened.

also i didn't find pat all that bad this week

Xiraiya

Goddamn that UD video, Matt being so slow and then silent for like 10 seconds being like "what happen..." Matt, you didn't press the prompt that was on the screen for ages before you decided to do something about it, he just brushed it off as "That was uh odd I guess" rather than being like "I fucked up".

Really? I only remember Liam getting really salty, Pat just seemed normal.

Goddamn that UD video, Matt being so slow and then silent for like 10 seconds being like "what happen..." Matt, you didn't press the prompt that was on the screen for ages before you decided to do something about it, he just brushed it off as "That was uh odd I guess" rather than being like "I fucked up".

I really want to know what happened there. Matt just froze for no reason. I've never seen any playthrough have that happen in it, I didn't even know it was possible.

Xiraiya

I really want to know what happened there. He just froze for no reason. I've never seen any playthrough have that happen in it, I didn't even know it was possible.
He said he thought the game froze but he never said anything about trying to press buttons and nothing happening, he just straight up stared at a screen with a button prompt and never noticed it and then kind of tried to brush it off as the game being weird.

Hope hes okay
They're fine, Paige posted all about it, they spent a day in Hospital after she had a moment of collapsing one morning and then she was eventually sent home later and is fine, it's not really a big dramatic thing.

He called him a m* f*er for saying Raccoon City sequel would suck, basically. But the point doesn't really matter... it's that Liam was like 100% serious.
makes me think he has emotional problems or something.

It's never too late. Just set your expectations accordingly. 90s era 3D... At the time it was actually really good.

Best Transformers ever IMO. Then again I am a biologist so I might be slightly biased.

Don't really care about how it'll look, I'm worried it'll be too kiddy dialogue and story wise for it to still be enjoyable.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
He called him a m* f*er for saying Raccoon City sequel would suck, basically. But the point doesn't really matter... it's that Liam was like 100% serious.
No man, that's Liam showing some of his power level.

But seriously, this guy is the John Cena of the group. He gets very passionate about the things he loves and gets mad when people don't fact check. When he's right, he's right. And when he's 100% wrong, he puts on his big boys pant and admits defeat. And he lets that passion go.

Don't really care about how it'll look, I'm worried it'll be too kiddy dialogue and story wise for it to still be enjoyable.

Characters straight up get killed and torture is pretty common. Season 1 finale was pretty fucked too.

I seem to remember the story being pretty decent, but it's been a few years since I binged it.

He was annoyed that Pat said RE spinoffs are garbage because Liam enjoyed the mercenaries game.

sjay1994

Really? I only remember Liam getting really salty, Pat just seemed normal.

Well in his defense, I can understand why he didn't do the prompt immediately, and he even says so in the video "that he wasn't sure if he had to wait for the wolf"

He didn't really know the wolf for the most part can handle itself.

Opposed to say achievement hunter who fucked up during the same part, because they couldn't decide between right or left.

Skrams

Pat's expectations are near zero for Umbrella Corps because spin off, ORC, and no developer mentioned. Liam agrees with the developer bit full heartily and believes if Capcom internal is making it then it has the chance to be a good game. He does think writing it off because it's a spin off is weird though and brings up Mercenaries 3D. Pat says Mercenaries 3D was fine because it already was a mode in the other games. Somethingsomething Liam talking about how he thinks Capcom wants to go more horrory with RE7 and further go down the The Last of Us route as Capcom previously mentioned. Liam then mentions it would be a shame to throw away all the cool combat stuff in the newer Resident Evil games, so he's glad they're branching it off into its own thing.

*Pat stares at Liam with weird face*

Liam proceeds to say RE is more than just walking around in scary places and Pat says no, it's not. "Sorry, that's what good Resident Evil is," said Pat. Liam asks what was Revelaitons 2 was then and Pat says it was walking around in scary places. Liam then says it was packed with action with which Pat replies, "Yeah, but it's not a fucking competitive multiplayer shooter." Here is where we reach the climax.

"There's nothing wrong with a spin off," said Liam.
"Yeah, you're right, ORC was great," Pat replies.
"I never said that was great, shut the fuck up," Liam said semi-aggressively.
"You just said there's nothing wrong with a spin off," Pat wheezed out.
"No, that's not what I said. I meant on principle there's nothing wrong with a spin off."
"Oh, on principle."
"And you're being a facetious asshole."
"Fair enough."

"Welcome to the podcast," Matt blurts out.

Then more talk about Liam is open to it being a good game if it's a good developer and him having no problem with spin offs existing. Pat mentions it's not dismiss Liam, but his disdain for the entire idea of Umbrella Corps can't be contained.

"I think Revengeance is pretty cool," Woolie said as if trying to defuse the situation.
"It is. It's fantastic. Good thing it's a mainline game," Pat said confidently.

Then everyone dies everywhere because of Pat.

I don't know why I bothered sort of transcribing this. All I wanted to get across was that Pat was being super Pat in that segment. Closing his eyes to Umbrella Corps because it's not what he wants, but he also fucks up his words with talk about action and spin offs. You get his singular point of not wanting to play the game because it's not what he wants, but in defending himself I felt he came off dumb with the argument. Him trying to put words in Liam's mouth with ORC being great or trying to handwave away Rev 2's action was dumb.

Then the kicker of Revengeance not being a spin off sealed the deal.

TLDR It was a dumb conversation, but people should still listen to the podcast anyway. I personally thought the argument about Umbrella Corps was funny in a laughing at Pat weaseling way and I don't think people should be discouraged from listening still.

I personally thought the argument about Umbrella Corps was funny in a laughing at Pat weaseling way

That is what I got from the argument. If Pat has zero interest in something he will use every reason or excuse he can think of to justify his own stance, which is understandable. The difference comes in that Liam will concede an argument if something valid is presented. Pat will still accept that he is wrong but retains his stance by falling back on his personal opinion. The one thing that did annoy me was
"It is. It's fantastic. Good thing it's a mainline game," Pat said confidently.

I get he was semi-joking with this, but boy was it really necessary to get the last line in? It came across to me as a plain dismissal of Liam's entire argument just to prove that all spin-offs are bad.

On a lighter note, having caught up to UD and MGSV playthroughs these are some of the better quality LPs I feel. I can see why people were getting salty from DanganRonpa and Starfox appearing
not really Starfox, that was great
. UD was a great choice for Matt to keep his attention on what's happening on screen while the pace keeps the commentary great. People were saying about Gunjumper Liam and geez they weren't kidding. While it's beginning to stop happening as much, it's still great to watch.

Then on a side note, my E key has a 50/50 chance of typing two E's and I don't know why. Also, religion ideas or other suggestions for the SBF Civ mod would be appreciated. I have ideas for what I want to put in but it's a mod for everyone so I'll take any and all suggestions into consideration.

Archgan

Then on a side note, my E key has a 50/50 chance of typing two E's and I don't know why. Also, religion ideas or other suggestions for the SBF Civ mod would be appreciated. I have ideas for what I want to put in but it's a mod for everyone so I'll take any and all suggestions into consideration.
One idea for a religion is to have something called "Grandma Swamp" and have it give faith or something from marsh. There could also be "The Woolie Hole" which could give stuff for quarries/mines. That same bonus could also be called "The Devil's Pit" and maybe give happiness since kids love the Devil.
Also, for units, Matt could have something like the Fire Axe Brigade that could replace the gatling gun or be a unit similar to that.

Anung

Un Rama
TLDR It was a dumb conversation, but people should still listen to the podcast anyway. I personally thought the argument about Umbrella Corps was funny in a laughing at Pat weaseling way and I don't think people should be discouraged from listening still.

I agree with both of them. Resident Evil Spin offs are usually super shit. ORC was a travesty so getting excited for Umbrella Corps is impossible (plus it looks shite) but Resi 6's mechanics are amazing and should get transplanted elsewhere instead of being wasted on a meh game.

The conversation itself made both look clownish.

Skrams

I agree with both of them. Resident Evil Spin offs are usually super shit. ORC was a travesty so getting excited for Umbrella Corps is impossible (plus it looks shite) but Resi 6's mechanics are amazing and should get transplanted elsewhere instead of being wasted on a meh game.

The conversation itself made both look clownish.

I just don't get that impression from the conversation. Liam was fine to me since he had a common thread line I felt I could follow. He hopes Umbrella Corps is good, has a good developer, and also he's willing to accept spin offs. Pat being bleh spin offs except for the ones I like and putting words in Liam's mouth was dumb.

If Liam's a clown for calling Pat an asshole then okay. I understand why he did it since Pat was running him around for not much reason besides saying I don't want thing. I think it also helped Pat clue in and realize he might be sounding like a dick.

Top Bottom