• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Between Fatal Frame 5, SOMA, and Corpse Party, Shitstorm 4 is gonna be amazing.

There was no serious confrontational anything on that podcast. It's the exact same thing as with the Giant Bombcast that every time there's some playful banter some people think they're about to come to blows.

This, the only thing they could cut down on IMO is the con stuff. Again, similar to GB, hat stuff is usually only fun for the people that are actually going.

I agree with the first point. Nothing sounded really serious, just typical trolling that Pat and Liam do with each other with Liam being super vulgar in his language (someone gotta wash that mouth out with some soap!)

I think its also totally unrealistic to love every segment of what they do on the podcast, even for the people on the podcast itself. There's always gonna be one segment, where some people hate it and others love it. I love the fuck out the fighting game technical jargon that Woolie can get really deep into, but I know how it bores some people out like crazy. In the same vein, there are people who love the movie and cartoon talk (SU/Rick and Morty/etc.) that I find super boring, but I roll with it because I know its pretty popular among the crew and fans.

I think more people, and Matt himself, need to understand that not every segment is gonna be super hilarious or super interesting when they make as much content as they do (where Woolie even said this during his podcast). Matt finds that the podcast is boring to do, and I love the fact that as the boss, he wants to shake it up and put out a better product in the end, and it sucks to see his ideas get shut down. But even then, you gotta make some concessions with the rest of the group and even if you don't love doing the podcast as much as videos, its still a job you have to do at this point. Its great that there's parts of his job that he really loves, and you can really see it in the UD videos, but you're not gonna always 100% love all the stuff you do.

And this isn't to discredit Matt in anyway or say he isn't doing a great job. Considering the fact that he's done over 100 of these things, I would never say he doesn't put the effort into everything he does for the channel, even the stuff he doesn't like.

Xiraiya

So the Super Best Friends channel on Vessel suddenly vanished, right when I was about to watch the latest MGSV part they uploaded an hour ago too.
Seems to be completely gone.

made alot of progress in Phantom Pain today
got my first S rank in the game in Traitors Caravan(Liam gonna have to git gud soon)
unlocked Quiet and jesus christ is she OP as fuck
sniping and tranqs from outta nowhere when ever you want and recon for everything infront of you(unless a guard is inside something)
found out the Africa problem mission isnt for awhile so went back to doing side ops as well
Liam seriously needs to stop worrying about GMP
most ive had today was over 2m GMP

Xiraiya

made alot of progress in Phantom Pain today
got my first S rank in the game in Traitors Caravan(Liam gonna have to git gud soon)
unlocked Quiet and jesus christ is she OP as fuck
sniping and tranqs from outta nowhere when ever you want and recon for everything infront of you(unless a guard is inside something)
found out the Africa problem mission isnt for awhile so went back to doing side ops as well
Liam seriously needs to stop worrying about GMP
most ive had today was over 2m GMP
S Ranks are ridiculously easy like 80% of the time. I find Quiet to be good for scouting but without a suppressor her Sniper fire is more trouble than it's ever worth, I personally feel like D Horse or DD are more useful/OP but I guess it really depends on the situation.
And GMP is weird, the cap is only 5 Million and half the time I struggle to drop below 3 or 4 million.

A 5 Million cap is WAY too low for how readily available it is.

S Ranks are ridiculously easy like 80% of the time. I find Quiet to be good for scouting but without a suppressor her Sniper fire is more trouble than it's ever worth.
And GMP is weird, the cap is only 5 Million and half the time I struggle to drop below 3 or 4 million.

A 5 Million cap seems like nothing.

just use her to make the enemy turn their attention elsewhere then bam easy ZZZ shots or takedowns

Xiraiya

just use her to make the enemy turn their attention elsewhere then bam easy ZZZ shots or takedowns

Yeah but I find alerting enemies to be ineffective for taking them out since they're so busy running everywhere looking for an intruder, rather than just shooting standing slow moving targets that aren't aware anything is happening.

0.o you can fulton the
Skulls
what in the actual fuck?
Much later in the game.

Xiraiya

Oh man them thinking the end of mission thing is a cutscene and then proceeding to completely talk over it and pay no attention for even a second, it's like you might understand SOMETHING if you just pay attention for a few seconds.

It eventually came back, for awhile though the entire channel was gone, even from favorites.

Laputa_94

Oh man them thinking the end of mission thing is a cutscene and then proceeding to completely talk over it and pay no attention for even a second, it's like you might understand SOMETHING if you just pay attention for a few seconds.

But Pat needs to continuously make his assumptions of the plot even when its happening.

Holy crap, not sure how best friends related this is, but my brother just showed me the Trigun gun is in Phantom Pain. Someone phone Woolie!

He was annoyed that Pat said RE spinoffs are garbage because Liam enjoyed the mercenaries game.

I don't agree with Pat's point, and I think he was being a shit. I just don't think that gives you the right to rage out like that. It's a damn video game podcast, being a silly shit is part of the job. Cussing someone out because they annoyed you on the other hand, is just unprofessional.

Edzi

I don't agree with Pat's point, and I think he was being a shit. I just don't think that gives you the right to rage out like that. It's a damn video game podcast, being a silly shit is part of the job. Cussing someone out because they annoyed you on the other hand, is just unprofessional.

Yup. They both came out of that looking terrible.

Anung

Un Rama
Oh cool 50 minutes of fucking nothing

Exactly why I said it should be an edited LP before it started.

When Matt is really into it, he's honestly the most fun to watch and listen. Or just as good at least for like when Pat is really into a horror game and is "serious pat". He's so damn endearing. The inner kid in him is bursting with excitement.

Totally. Matt is probably the most hit or miss Zaibatsu member for me personally. He has brought down a few LP's when he's not into it or disinterested. On the flipside though when he is genuinely into it it really shows and is refreshing. Shame that isn't often enough for my liking.

I completely disagree with everything you're saying here, but this discussion has been done to death in the spoiler thread.

+1. I mean the games sells itself on being "the missing link", "Closing the loop" and seeing Big Boss "Become a monster". How is it fans mislead themselves again?

Geg

Be prepared for frustration and complete lack of attention, this was the worst part yet.

I don't blame them, they were just doing what Miller was telling them to do. That mission is pretty poorly made in the first place, I seriously don't know how you're supposed to figure it out if you fail to save all the the other prisoners

I don't blame them, they were just doing what Miller was telling them to do. That mission is pretty poorly made in the first place, I seriously don't know how you're supposed to figure it out if you fail to save all the the other prisoners

If you keep following him he eventually leads to the viscount i think?

Tail missions suuuuuuck. I managed to find the intel file pretty quickly but still. I like the base you infiltrate itself since its pretty organic with its environment and cover.

Holy crap, not sure how best friends related this is, but my brother just showed me the Trigun gun is in Phantom Pain. Someone phone Woolie!

first Jehuty and now this
what other bullshit weapons are in this game?
btw im getting major Witcher 3 vibes length wise while im playing this
its been 2 weeks and im only at 28% complete
also about the viscount what i did was extract the prisoners then smoked till night time then went over to where the interpretor was then extracted him and the viscount

latest

Skrams

I forget who mentioned it, but I was fine with the idea of them cutting back on their weeks a little bit more and having more discussion topics put in with the news. That's easier said than done, but some of the week based things can be a little long. I'm fine with the idea of compromise of cutting it back for a best friend driven topic added to the second half if they had one they thought of during the week. I do think the formula they have now is mostly set in stone though. It's a tried and true formula at this point. I can't think of many occasions where podcasts have shifted from the weekly roundup formula to something with more effort. I know 5+ years ago the joystiq podcast shifted from a weekly thing to a more interview style thing suddenly. I found myself dropping it pretty quick at least. I don't think the same would happen with this podcast, but unless the topics are damn good then I'd rather just have the normal shit.
There was no serious confrontational anything on that podcast. It's the exact same thing as with the Giant Bombcast that every time there's some playful banter some people think they're about to come to blows.
It felt like the equivalent of some giant bomb goty deliberations for 2 seconds. I don't find it a big deal either way. No one is ever going to come to blows with another because come on, son.
Actually, I decided to listen to it again, and skrams is right. Liam's blow up is way smaller than I initially thought.
Eh, it's fine. I'm not sure why I found it so off putting the first time.
Neat to see you changed your mind. You said stuff like motherfucker before and cussing him out, but it was really only one or two sentences. He "blew" up a tiny bit, but it wasn't much at all to me at least.

Edit- Also that viscount mission was hard to watch.

Tailing missions suck they say as they proceed to barely tail the target. Oh a prisoner died? Welp, nothing I could do.

Geg

I don't think any of the prisoners that died was the viscount though right? If it was it just would have been an instant game over

I don't think any of the prisoners that died was the viscount though right? If it was it just would have been an instant game over

The second that died was the Viscount because there's only 4 in the mission and they rescued 2.

The issue is it makes you identify the prisoner.

Geg

The second that died was the Viscount because there's only 4 in the mission and they rescued 2.

The issue is it makes you identify the prisoner.

That's weird, I definitely remember there are some missions where my target would die but I'd never even seen them yet and it would still be game over

Guh, I really wish they wouldn't talk about new SF5 characters only 6 people remember for 40 minutes every podcast. Especially when there's only a 30 second gameplay trailer to talk about.

Skrams

Guh, I really wish they wouldn't talk about new SF5 characters only 6 people remember for 40 minutes every podcast. Especially when there's only a 30 second gameplay trailer to talk about.

Huh

You mean Karin? 6 people? I get that it's hyperbole, but man that's hyperbolic as fuck. The guys also continue to like Street Fighter, so I accept that they're excited to talk about new characters.

You know that a big part of the SBFP fanbase is a fan of fighting games right? And that all 4 of them are big fans of Street Fighter? Also there was WAY more than just a 30 second trailer, there were gameplay videos and her movelist to talk about. You're not interested, that's fine, but the time they spend talking about SF is justified.

In the end, the podcast isn't about what the fans want them to talk about(that's just mailbag to a lesser extent), it's about what they want to talk about.

Lol, 6 people. Not only is that extremely hyperbolic, but it suggest that Karin and Mika are unpopular which, according to the character poll Capcom held, is wrong.

You know that a big part of the SBFP fanbase is a fan of fighting games right? And that all 4 of them are big fans of Street Fighter? Also there was WAY more than just a 30 second trailer, there were gameplay videos and her movelist to talk about. You're not interested, that's fine, but the time they spend talking about SF is justified.

In the end, the podcast isn't about what the fans want them to talk about(that's just mailbag to a lesser extent), it's about what they want to talk about.
I get that it's what they want to talk about, but just hearing Woolie gush about frame data and V trigger and someones specific move for 20 minutes is just too much. I know it's about what they want to talk about, not the fans, but they still have to keep in mind the whole point of a podcast is for people to listen. I would probably mind less if he wasn't always cutting people off and telling them to move on from something they really want to talk about. Like, Matt isn't allowed to talk about horror movies anymore. Can't cut into that SF5 time, oh no.
Lol, 6 people. Not only is that extremely hyperbolic, but it suggest that Karin and Mika are unpopular which, according to the character poll Capcom held, is wrong.
Was that a JP poll or worldwide? Just wondering.

Top Bottom