• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Just a fair warning about Yomi, the intro is basically the entire rest of the video (Saw it on Vessel).

I think it's a real shitty video even if the game is good. Hearthstone at least has interesting animation for a viewer.

Xiraiya

I've heard people have tons of trouble with that truck mission, but it's fine with the right approach. Backup, Backdown was the most troublesome mission.

I've heard people have tons of trouble with that truck mission, but it's fine with the right approach. Backup, Backdown was the most troublesome mission.

This is the one where
the truck spawns four of the Skulls right? I just fultoned that shit out and ran from the AO.

Disgraced

Well you can't have everything going right. At least it would go from unbearable to watch and up to just boring to listen to.
If only.
If they start paying attention and actually talking about what's going on, chapter 3 would be amazing commentary-wise.
I'm sure it would be. If only they could retroactively make the last 11 episodes better too. And this is supposed to go on for 20 or so more? Christ.

I tried watching the episode today; stopped after the shitty tangent about Life Is Strange.
I love the LiS LP.

Xiraiya

This is the one where
the truck spawns four of the Skulls right? I just fultoned that shit out and ran from the AO.
Yeah it is, I actually dealt with it by planting a bunch of C4
and slowly lured the Skulls over them before setting off the lot and instantly killing them all before they could even react. I also nearly managed to Fulton the truck before the cutscene triggered.

Yeah it is, I actually dealt with it by planting a bunch of C4
and slowly lured the Skulls over them before setting off the lot and instantly killing them all before they could even react.

lol i just fought them in a hide speed D Walker Chase scene
the gatling gun rips right through them

Xux

I didn't have too much trouble since they just jump out of the tanks and leave them there.

Xiraiya

In what world? That mission is one of the easiest in the game
In the world in which I must fulton everything, save everyone and let nothing be destroyed, WHILE beating it fast enough to trigger the extra tanks and gunship.
Collecting everything has been infinitely easier in every other mission.

If only.I'm sure it would be. If only they could retroactively make the last 11 episodes better too. And this is supposed to go on for 20 or so more? Christ.

I tried watching the episode today; stopped after the shitty tangent about Life Is Strange.
I love the LiS LP.

Eh, pre-language change, every episode has been enjoyable to some extent.

Biggest problem is the game doesn't really take off until chapter 3. Prior to that, it's easy to have your attention diverted toward tangents.

It's honestly at the point I wish they'd just drop the Danganronpa LP because holy fucking shit will you guys not stop whining about it.

Just don't watch it if you don't like it. Christ.

Interesting to read Matt's thoughts on MGSV. Hope he talks about it on the podcast at some point since it'd be nice to hear something other than Liam and Woolie's blind love for the game.

Neat to see you changed your mind. You said stuff like motherfucker before and cussing him out, but it was really only one or two sentences. He "blew" up a tiny bit, but it wasn't much at all to me at least..

He likes cussing people out during conversations. I still think that's fucked up, I just don't feel it warrants a federal case about it anymore.

Just a fair warning about Yomi, the intro is basically the entire rest of the video (Saw it on Vessel).

I think it's a real shitty video even if the game is good. Hearthstone at least has interesting animation for a viewer.

Matt calls it out during the game, and he's right: most video game format CCGs (in particular Magic) have terrible player-feedback loops and UI game feel.

I'd actually say Hearthstone's the worst CCG I've ever played, but just by virtue of having a solid UI with good responsiveness and strong feedback it pretty much automatically trumps every other digital card game. In a way, having a UI with poor feedback for a card game is like having an action game running at low FPS: it almost doesn't matter how good the actual game mechanics are, your players are unlikely to ever push through to the good parts of the experience if it doesn't "feel" good.

Nordicus

Matt calls it out during the game, and he's right: most video game format CCGs (in particular Magic) have terrible player-feedback loops and UI game feel.

I'd actually say Hearthstone's the worst CCG I've ever played, but just by virtue of having a solid UI with good responsiveness and strong feedback it pretty much automatically trumps every other digital card game. In a way, having a UI with poor feedback for a card game is like having an action game running at low FPS: it almost doesn't matter how good the actual game mechanics are, your players are unlikely to ever push through to the good parts of the experience if it doesn't "feel" good.
I kinda hope Duelyst grows to become a big thing.

It's not only fun, and more involved than Hearthstone because it adds that game's mechanics into turn-based strategy* format, but the simple pixel art makes it that you can animate the shit out of the minions and spells when you both look at your cards and play them.

mKDZtU1.gif
QSUiTPQ.gif

Chakri Avatar, Akuma much?

*as in Fire Emblem, XCOM, Disgaea, FFT, Heroes of Might&Magic, or just plain old chess

kewlmyc

It's honestly at the point I wish they'd just drop the Danganronpa LP because holy fucking shit will you guys not stop whining about it.

Just don't watch it if you don't like it. Christ.

I'm just disappointed that one of my favorite franchises is getting such a sloppy LP about it. They play the game so far in advance though that even if any of the complaints abou the LP were heard by Woolie and Liam, they wouldn't be applied to the LP until around 10-15 episodes from now.

There is hope that this LP will turn around once they hit Chapter 3 when the plot actually takes off and most of the dialogue isn't just fluff.

demidar

Whoa, I should dive Duelyst a look.

I've been playing a lot Magic Origins and it's nice and deep but man that presentation, UI and feedback is fucking shit, especially compared to Hearthstone. And Hearthstone is crap because it's so goddamn random (though I appreciate their answer to Magic's mana choke problems).

I'm just disappointed that one of my favorite franchises is getting such a sloppy LP about it. They play the game so far in advance though that even if any of the complaints abou the LP were heard by Woolie and Liam, they wouldn't be applied to the LP until around 10-15 episodes from now.

There is hope that this LP will turn around once they hit Chapter 3 when the plot actually takes off and most of the dialogue isn't just fluff.

One can only hope.

Nordicus

Whoa, I should dive Duelyst a look.

I've been playing a lot Magic Origins and it's nice and deep but man that presentation, UI and feedback is fucking shit, especially compared to Hearthstone. And Hearthstone is crap because it's so goddamn random (though I appreciate their answer to Magic's mana choke problems).
It's in closed beta, but RPS has a shit ton of keys to give out

And another thing it changes from Hearthstone, is that instead of drawing 1 card per turn, you can draw 2, and then put 1 card back in the deck for yet another draw.

So you get three chances instead of one to not get that 7 mana card on fucking turn two.

BazzBro

so i beat Phantom Pain

i think i hate this game

the disappointment i feel for what they did with the story and the characters makes me lose any urge to keep playing

thanks hideo, i know its your fault, you plastered your name into the game at every chance you got.

demidar

It's in closed beta, but RPS has a shit ton of keys to give out

And another thing it changes from Hearthstone, is that instead of drawing 1 card per turn, you can draw 2, and then put 1 card back in the deck for yet another draw.

So you get three chances instead of one to not get that 7 mana card on fucking turn two.

Oh my god that solves the other problem I had with Magic where you just draw nothing but lands/non-lands. The solution I came up with was draw 2 cards, pick 1 and put the other on the bottom of the deck or reveal it and put it back on the top. This sounds great, the designers seem to know what they're doing.

Skrams

Yomi looks like an interesting game, but the UI and feedback leaves a little to be desired. It would probably be hard, but it would be neat to see some kind of animation play out for specific moves. Or maybe a custom down sprite instead of turning the sprites 90 degrees to simulate a knockdown state.

I'm also wondering if I'm misreading the game because theoretically since Pat was a grappler in his match then Matt should of basically kept on the offensive with attacks a good majority of the time. He had frame advantage and his attacks would beat out throws or attacks most of the time.

So neat overall for a card game I'm kind of interested in playing, but will probably still never play.

He likes cussing people out during conversations. I still think that's fucked up, I just don't feel it warrants a federal case about it anymore.

I think you're extrapolating a bit based off this one instance, but ok.

Sou Da

I would say only if you liked the game, the commentary isn't really knocking it out of the park in my opinion.

I like the game and but I wanted to know if the gameplay was just them playing it as third person shooter. I like different approaches and all, but the after the intro they just seemed to go full nuclear.

Laputa_94

I like the game and but I wanted to know if the gameplay was just them playing it as third person shooter. I like different approaches and all, but the after the intro they just seemed to go full nuclear.

It pretty much is for the most part. It usually starts as a attempt at stealth, but then Liam will get caught.

Do you like listening to Pat and Liam talk?
If yes, then watch.
Do you like watching gunjumper Liam?
If yes, you get a lot of that.

Liam isn't doing anything special or worth watching if you aren't already playing the game. The GAF thread talking about the little things one can do in the game is much more informative than Liam or Pat have been.

Dude got a S Rank last video essentially after fucking up the mission.

Anung

Un Rama
Interesting to read Matt's thoughts on MGSV. Hope he talks about it on the podcast at some point since it'd be nice to hear something other than Liam and Woolie's blind love for the game.

They'd probably just cut him off and talk over him so he can't make any points.

Seriously, the amount of times this happened on the podcast this week was infuriating.

Alright, we get it, they got a little heavy on the talking over this week. Ya'll can drop it now, I'm sure their tumblrs and twitters got hounded about it, or the subreddit brought it up. They pay attention to that more than anything here.

Alright, we get it, they got a little heavy on the talking over this week. Ya'll can drop it now, I'm sure their tumblrs and twitters got hounded about it, or the subreddit brought it up. They pay attention to that more than anything here.
Matt being talked over? That's been an intermittent complaint from like since the podcast started.

Plus, if this thread isn't for feedback and discussion, I dunno what it is for.

Top Bottom