• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Man, Matt has been grating on my nerves as of late. THere was the Sonic Adventure play through where he was drunk and super negative throughout the whole thing. He was also similar to that during Star Fox Adventures. Then there seems to be times where he just plays badly on purpose, feigns inability to play, or just straight does stuff for no good reason (like in the latest UD episode where he just refused to pickup the clue, Pat wanted to see the back of, again. Liam even semi called him out in the latest Mystery Box where he was like "how about you try and do something as opposed to nothing at all."

When he cares about something, like Rustlemania he goes all in but when it's something he isn't feeling he just seems to phone it in.
He said SA is like the best LP theyd ever done

Watching the Rustlemania 2 Montage now, missed the John St Sohn promo. My favorite roles from him:

Charles_Gillman.jpg

(Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth)

hqdefault.jpg

MrHoot

I went from being accepting of Silent Hills cancellation to being really fucking angry and sad.

Total.Fucking.Bullshit.

I was already buttmad before

Now i feel like a dead horse being beaten on by the konami stick

The potential GOLD that could've been this game. It could've defined a generation

As someone playing through SH2,while I think the enemy designs are good, they're definitely not as strong as the sound design and overall atmosphere that the game presents. This game would have been on another level of psychological horror.
SH2 creature design isn't too special, but they do a fantastic job in that they reflect problems with James.

If Ito monsters reflected what's wrong with the Silent Hills protagonist?
hooooooooooooo boooooooooooyyyyyyyyyy

So if this shitstorm has a couple of multiple part episodes sprinkled in, what games do you think would lend well to it? The only one I finished was Rule of rose, and that took a bit to get going. Glad they did the leftover parts for it too, cause I don't wanna see them get halfway into a game and not finish it.

Skrams

So if this shitstorm has a couple of multiple part episodes sprinkled in, what games do you think would lend well to it? The only one I finished was Rule of rose, and that took a bit to get going. Glad they did the leftover parts for it too, cause I don't wanna see them get halfway into a game and not finish it.
I hope they choose something of appropriate length if they choose to do an LP of something horrory. I'd rather not have we're trying to finish the game in a week, oh no we couldn't, oh nvm After Shits a little bit later on. Hindsight is 20/20, but man, Silent Hill Shattered Memories would of been perfect for this month since it was 9 or so parts. Maybe they'll just give us something random like a SOMA LP and mix it up with one offs.
"Bah Gawd, the Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."

That killed me.

Vessel gets the last part of Until Dawn tonight. Awwww yis.

Part 15 spoilers edited as i watch
holy shit he got Matt and Jess out
oh god those don't move prompts get me freaked out and i'm not even playing
pat could not be more wrong about hannahdigo

HOLY FUCK THEY DID IT!

I know they'll never go online, but I'd love to see Liam get hit with a FOB defense in the middle of a mission and see how he gun-jumps that shit to victory

Anung

Un Rama

I wouldn't mind a full Outlast LP. Should be able to knock that out in a week and its got plenty of moments.

I feel as if I'm the only one who really doesn't care about Shitstorms. Sure each year has a couple good moments, but overall they're about 70% duds. One can only handle so many jump scares from cobbled together indie games before it becomes just boring to see.

Skrams

I feel as if I'm the only one who really doesn't care about Shitstorms. Sure each year has a couple good moments, but overall they're about 70% duds. One can only handle so many jump scares from cobbled together indie games before it becomes just boring to see.

A bit reductive considering a majority of the games aren't indie from the shitstorms. A lot of them aren't really that heavy on jumpscares either.

I enjoy the month since it's usually a good dose of classic RE2/Downpour/Homecoming Matt and Pat. I also am glad to have a month lined ahead of me where I can enjoy at least a video a day instead of having to temper myself if it's a newer game like Danganronpa. I still enjoy using the old shitstorms as background noise too. People might have a problem with that though when the stuff becomes more podcast than LP or whatever.

Mik317

I really only enjoy it when there is legit fear happening.

I think they're less of a flop than other theme months.

Though I think the only theme months I've liked are Shitstorm 1 and Rustlemania 1.

I think it's more so the oversaturation of the genre that really gets me. The theme months as a whole are pretty bad on that. Really shouldn't go past theme weeks.

Disgraced

In fact they should do Outlasts DLC Whistleblower. It's way better than the main game.
Darling!
I enjoy the month since it's usually a good dose of classic RE2/Downpour/Homecoming Matt and Pat. I also am glad to have a month lined ahead of me where I can enjoy at least a video a day instead of having to temper myself if it's a newer game like Danganronpa. I still enjoy using the old shitstorms as background noise too. People might have a problem with that though when the stuff becomes more podcast than LP or whatever.
As somebody who's voiced such a criticism, you've misunderstood the core problem. Enjoy media any way you would like. Dubstep as ASMR? Sure. Lars Von Trier movie as jack off material? Why not? YA novel as a firestarter? Absolutely. Let's play as background audio/a makeshift podcast? Of course! The problem is when an LP is successful exclusively as background audio. When that's all it's good for it's failed as a let's play. If an LP fails at providing good audio & visual entertainment, it's failed. If the player fails at making the game entertaining and vice versa, the LP has failed at being what it is. Can you enjoy the individual elements regardless of their capacity to mesh? Of course. Can an LP succeed/player and game succeed symbiotically and you still enjoy the separate components for whatever reason? Of course.

Think of it as unintentional comedy. It's absolutely possible to enjoy something not for what it was designed to be. But that happening means that the something most likely failed at being what it was designed to be. Does that make any sense?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
The problem with me using the lp's as background noise is that I have no context for the jokes they are making. I'd rather just skim through an episode to find randoms bits appealing then just listen to it.

Also I guess not being a able to multitask when listening to music doesn't help my case.

Disgraced

The problem with me using the lp's as background noise is that I have no context for the jokes they are making. I'd rather just skim through an episode to find randoms bits appealing then just listen to it.

Also I guess not being a able to multitask when listening to music doesn't help my case.
Right, that's my point though. If the components of an LP don't work entirely separately they're working as intended. By default it's supposed to be one cohesive piece of media.

Most movies don't work as radio dramas or silent films. Some do, and some can even succeed at being something else and succeed at being good movies at the same time. But most do not. You know how many awful movies there are with kick-ass soundtracks?

I'm gonna miss the UD LP, DR and MGSV (to a lesser extent) feel so uninspired next to it.

Shitstorm can't release soon enough

Do we know what format they are using this year? I really hope they do it like last years, a one off lp is not good enough for a lot of horror games. I remember the first two Shitstorms, they'd sometimes go without even running into any scares for some games.

Huh... it's like Best Friends christmas to me. Rustle month was damn terrible though, I'll give you that.

Disgraced

In fact they should do Outlasts DLC Whistleblower. It's way better than the main game.
Does anyone else remember when Liam streamed the whole thing? That was great. Shame it's not archived anywhere as far as I know.

Speaking of, something else I wanted to bring up as it's something I've seen consistently on the subreddit, YT comments, here maybe a couple times, and I believe they may have discussed it briefly on the podcast—that Woolie and Liam are the weakest duo. I've talked shit about Dangassrompings because I think it's a shit LP (worse than Nuzlocke—at least Nuzlocke had the goofy memoirs when a Pokémon died and the stream to end with a bang), and I honestly think all of their other LPs are weak as well. However, until years from now when they've still never done a comparatively strong LP together—I'm going to go out on a limb and attribute it largely to the material they're using.

For example, if Until Dawn isn't the best playthrough on the channel right now it's certainly being received as such, no?

Until Dawn is stuffed with material to work off. It's a silly cinematic game built to make the player visibly react. That's got to be way easier to work with than comparatively desolate sidescrollers and visual novels with largely text-based stories that for the entertainment value depend on feedback from the player/game feel (something a passive viewer of gameplay cannot identify with), not the inverse. Not that silly cinematic games are the only way to make a great LP, but I'm confident silly cinematic games are definitely where some of Woolie & Liam's best moments have been, i.e. Indigo Prophecy and Life Is Strange.

My point is that while Until Dawn's a game that fits Matt & Pat's 'classic' LP modus operandi, I bet Liam & Woolie could make it work too (frankly, I'd even be open to seeing that considering how different progress in that game is—alas, it wouldn't be blind so much of the excitement would be diffused, so on second thought maybe not). It's unfair to say the UD's good because of Matt & Pat, because it's the kind of game that does 50% of the work in an LP.

Now, is Danganronpa a game that requires the player do about 80% of the work to make an LP entertaining and WooLiam are underperforming in that regard? Yes. But again, the point is it's a much more difficult game to LP.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
My Problem with Dagan ronpa is that I have no experience with the old games and have no idea what's going. Like, i guess the old games are similar to persona? It doesn't help that LiamXWoolie make no attempt to give context.

Archgan

My Problem with Dagan ronpa is that I have no experience with the old games and have no idea what's going. Like, i guess the old games are similar to persona? It doesn't help that LiamXWoolie make no attempt to give context.
I haven't been watching it since I hadn't played any of the games before (currently at the beginning of 2, though), but I'm sure the LP is meant only for people who already have the context. In such a story heavy game, they can't really be expected to catch up the viewer. By the way, the old games are visual novels with a trial aspect that features Japanese high school students.

It was honestly an extremely stupid decision to play this and not just 1. Woolie would've had his raw impressions and the viewers would have gotten to see the series from the start as well.

They should really just dump out the rest of the Dang episodes because they're just wasting space on the channel. Open up another slot.

Also on that Zone thing, damn the audio is crisp there. Too bad their podcasts aren't that great.

kewlmyc

It was honestly an extremely stupid decision to play this and not just 1. Woolie would've had his raw impressions and the viewers would have gotten to see the series from the start as well.

Everyone is probably tired of DR bitching by now, but it doesn't help that the game is really bad for an LP not even bringing the story into the mix. The game is pretty badly paced. It only really gets going halfway through chapter 3. It's the problem with blind playthoughs, not even the LPers have a good idea if the game will be any good for an LP.

Jpope

Neo Member
I'm kinda confused with Until Dawn.
spoilers ahead.
Is Mike
dead?
Why is
Sam going into the sanatorium alone?

Geg

Went to look at Matt's twitter for the first time since last week and was happy to see he's playing Undertale

Disgraced

I miss the Liam streams. Last one was so long ago.
Same. /:
They should really just dump out the rest of the Dang episodes because they're just wasting space on the channel. Open up another slot.
I wish the fanbase would stop saying fucking ignorant shit like this.

It gets views. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
Come on dude, Glitches didn't say to stop putting it out, but to put the rest of it out as bonus videos because it's occupying a slot a substantial amount of viewers would rather see something else in. That way the whole audience gets what they like.

Sometimes when things aren't working as they should creators need to take the L and change things up, or end up with a frustrated audience (as it seems they already have). "It gets views" aka "Somebody out there's enjoying it" isn't really a great reason to continue as it is. As we've been over a hundred times at this point, it's extremely niche and a lot of people have problems with it they've explained. It's not complicated and it doesn't require professional knowledge to realize that in entertainment you just shouldn't schedule niche in front of popular. That doesn't make any sense.

Same. /:Come on dude, Glitches didn't say to stop putting it out, but to put the rest of it out as bonus videos because it's occupying a slot a substantial amount of viewers would rather see something else in. That way the whole audience gets what they like.

Sometimes when things aren't working as they should creators need to take the L and change things up, or end up with a frustrated audience (as it seems they already have). "It gets views" aka "Somebody out there's enjoying it" isn't really a great reason to continue as it is. As we've been over a hundred times at this point, it's extremely niche and a lot of people have problems with it they've explained. It's not complicated or require professional knowledge to realize that in entertainment you just shouldn't schedule niche in front of popular. That doesn't make any sense.

You're ALWAYS going to get a fraction of your fanbase that doesn't like what you're doing. For example, I don't particularly care for FNF and I didn't care for the Nemesis LP but I wasn't saying they should just dump it all and start something new because it was a waste of time. A lot of people seem to think they have tons and tons of backlog and can just dump a new LP whenever when that's very clearly not the case.

Top Bottom