• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

aly

Thanks for that info guys. Good to know that this game isn't a proper representation of the series.

Until Dawn Part 14 -
I like the amount of focus on Mike since he's a really fun character, but man, either it's just the matter of choices or non choices or every other character gets shafted fucking hard. Matt has just fucked off super hard and Jessica has fucking nothing. I can only hope they come back in a somewhat meaningful way for the conclusion. BUT GOD DAMN THAT FUCKING JOSH DISS WAS SO GOOD. The pig shit was also fucking great. No idea what Matt meant by the pig having human eyes though.

That Mike part is weird. Maybe the developers never expected anyone to fail such an easy moment with the door. I've never seen anyone except them actually fail it either, which means missing some more clues and hype scenes. Mike is the staple action hero type, which puts him in the main character position compared to Jess, the dumb blonde, and Matt the black guy. It's no surprise that they lack importance.

Not the one I'm talkin about guy. I mean
the one that attacked him while matt was holding the door for wolfie. They're in totally different places.

Pretty much.
Well as far as they go, it somewhat makes since. But yeah I never saw that part go down like that. Shame though
What they missed is pretty fun and also, I think the wolfie is either considered dead now or just incomplete.

Skrams

That Mike part is weird. Maybe the developers never expected anyone to fail such an easy moment with the door. I've never seen anyone except them actually fail it either, which means missing some more clues and hype scenes. Mike is the staple action hero type, which puts him in the main character position compared to Jess, the dumb blonde, and Matt the black guy. It's no surprise that they lack importance.

More UD Part 14 spoilers-
I get they lack importance, but I find it hard to get over how fucking gone they are. Jessica has an excuse of being knocked out for hours, but she also got up and then poof done with her again. Matt is the most egregious with him jumping to save himself AND THEN FUCKING NOTHING. He's just been wandering the mines for hours I guess? I can't believe how fucking gone he is.

Man, I really need to buy Until Dawn now since it's just knocked it out of the park so far. Everyone's saying they missed a cool scene and now I have more of an excuse to play it myself to see that scene at least.

ArjanN

Okay, I get it. It wasn't at all obvious to me. I apologize for my rude remark.

Hey no worries.

Until Dawn Part 14 -
I like the amount of focus on Mike since he's a really fun character, but man, either it's just the matter of choices or non choices or every other character gets shafted fucking hard. Matt has just fucked off super hard and Jessica has fucking nothing. I can only hope they come back in a somewhat meaningful way for the conclusion. BUT GOD DAMN THAT FUCKING JOSH DISS WAS SO GOOD. The pig shit was also fucking great. No idea what Matt meant by the pig having human eyes though.

Huge Until Dawn spoilers:
After watching a couple of playthroughs it pretty obvious to me that the reason Matt and Jessica don't have much to do is just because those two can actually die early. Pat was basically right this episode in that, yeah, everyone can live or die technically, but most characters only near the end. I think the game is actually pretty smartly designed that way, but honestly it's only about as dynamic as the Walking Dead was.

MrHoot

More UD Part 14 spoilers-
I get they lack importance, but I find it hard to get over how fucking gone they are. Jessica has an excuse of being knocked out for hours, but she also got up and then poof done with her again. Matt is the most egregious with him jumping to save himself AND THEN FUCKING NOTHING. He's just been wandering the mines for hours I guess? I can't believe how fucking gone he is.

Man, I really need to buy Until Dawn now since it's just knocked it out of the park so far. Everyone's saying they missed a cool scene and now I have more of an excuse to play it myself to see that scene at least.

It might be my only criticism so far as some characters have too much screentime and plot armor compared to others, but I also understand the complexity of managing 8 different POV at the same time and having stuff to do for them all the time. Jess in particular is really throwaway as you barely play as her whatever the choices.

So I'm still catching up on the shit I apparently stirred, but I'd like to clarify that what I meant was put all the episodes out so that the slot can be cleared for other LPs. They basically did the same thing with the Nuzlocke run, they just turned the ending into a stream. And everyone fucking loved that.

Some are saying it gets them views, but it's getting them less than a fifth of their usual LPs. Hell, their podcast videos do better than this LP.

Yes, I'm not watching the videos. Not only is the content poor for the LP, not giving enough set up for the story, I don't think Liam and Woolie have found their mix all that well unless they're doing fighting games. From what other people have said, they're also managing to do a poor job of the LP process itself, so *shrug*.

I respect this position so much more than "lol don't watch it if you don't like it."

To an extent, I even agree. However, the question is should they place the kind of content they enjoy doing more than a sizable portion of the audience in the regular schedule?

If they're having fun with it, sure. It also happens to be topical for them since the game has only recently come out.

And on top of all that, I imagine both of them want to get done with it as soon as they can so they can actually read stuff about it on the internet. As fans of the first 2, they surely know how spoiler-prone the series is.

So I'm still catching up on the shit I apparently stirred, but I'd like to clarify that what I meant was put all the episodes out so that the slot can be cleared for other LPs. They basically did the same thing with the Nuzlocke run, they just turned the ending into a stream. And everyone fucking loved that.

Some are saying it gets them views, but it's getting them less than a fifth of their usual LPs. Hell, their podcast videos do better than this LP.

Did they put out something like 15 hours of the Nuzlocke run at once?

Did they put out something like 15 hours of the Nuzlocke run at once?

The last part of the Nuzlocke run before the stream was Silph Co. I don't remember the exact hour count of the stream, but it was certainly a whole day affair because that meant the last... Four badges, plus the E4, plus everything inbetween.

Wait are you saying there's fifteen hours of Dang content still? Oh man...

Anung

Un Rama
Woolie must have watched a different version of Bunnyhop's MGSV vid than I did.

EDIT: MGSV backlash talk is on the Zaibatsu.

Anung

Un Rama
That was actually a decent discussion. Liam managed to keep "the gameplay the gameplay the gameplay" to a minimum but was a little on the defensive which is weird because he's barely halfway through the game. Especially when the opinions are from people who have actually finished it (Nice GamingBrit shoutout). Pat seems to have realistic expectations so he probably isn't going to get burnt that bad and will fall into line with SBH's views. Really interesting hearing Matt's thoughts on the game...he is going to hate the latter half of the game.

Anung

Un Rama
Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

Think I'm done complaining about the DR LP now
(as I'm sure some will be happy to know)
since they're probably never going to take what anyone's said seriously. Ah well. I'd love to eat crow.

I really don't understand why people get so defensive like critiquing something is a bad thing? We love these guys and want them to be the best they can be. I dislike the Dragon Romba's because its a flawed LP and hopefully that'll reflect that so they can be better going forward.

"don't like, don't watch" is such a reductionist way to look at something. Especially something like this which is a fairly unique situation...and when most people don't actually hate whats happening just the shitty way its being presented.

Liam managed to keep "the gameplay the gameplay the gameplay" to a minimum but was a little on the defensive which is weird because he's barely halfway through the game.
That's a legitimate opinion on the game, even after beating it, though I realize interjecting it constantly into discussion is only frustrating.

Also that GamingBrit video is rlybad, and super opinion. I normally like his stuff, though.

Anung

Un Rama
That's a legitimate opinion on the game, even after beating it, though I realize interjecting it constantly into discussion is only frustrating.

Also that GamingBrit video is rlybad, and super opinion. I normally like his stuff, though.

If he reaches that conclusion after he finished the game then fair play to him. But just contextlessly interjecting it in the face of other opinions is just lame. "but the gameplay" yessss the game play is amazing...but people are criticizing things other than the amazing gameplay.

I think he's on the money opinion wise. I do think the abrasive way he presents the video is a detriment to the point he makes and is obviously going to net him some flack.

If he reaches that conclusion after he finished the game then fair play to him. But just contextlessly interjecting it in the face of other opinions is just lame. "but the gameplay" yessss the game play is amazing...but people are criticizing things other than the amazing gameplay.

I think he's on the money opinion wise. I do think the abrasive way he presents the video is a detriment to the point he makes and is obviously going to net him some flack.
Yeah that's fair, but it's a problem with having the discussion before they're all finished.

Brit makes some big leaps and has a lot of his complaints rooted in expectations, it really hurts the context of his more factual complaints.
I feel like I'm the only one here who unironically likes Naruto
(I'm just playing along with the joke. I've never seen an episode.)

Neol

I make fun of Naruto and shit on it all the time but I honestly do like it a bit.

Problem is the whole plot is just plagued with bad arcs and a handful of bad characters but there are parts here and there that I can appreciate.

The Shikamaru arc in Shippuden is a legitimately fantastic arc with some great direction on some episodes and is the peak of that show's writing quality.

Everything else is hit or very miss.

Man I wouldn't say MGS3's ending destroyed me, but its a really fucking good ending. I love each of these games endings though, they're all so good. Even PW was pretty good.

Oh man, I still remember watching the first arc of Naruto, and getting pumped about it.

Burning a bunch of episodes on CDs, and giving it to highschool friends.

But then the series kept going, and going, and going. And then there was soooo much bullshit. ( my biggest gripe is how the Sharingan could do everything whenever the plot needed it to do something)

And then I was just following Naruto because I was so deep in. I needed to see it end.

I'm pretty sure Naruto is a lot like Dragon Ball. There 's a bunch of great stuff in there, but sitting through the entire series can be very tiring.

Oh man, I still remember watching the first arc of Naruto, and getting pumped about it.

Burning a bunch of episodes on CDs, and giving it to highschool friends.

But then the series kept going, and going, and going. And then there was soooo much bullshit. ( my biggest gripe is how the Sharingan could do everything whenever the plot needed it to do something)

And then I was just following Naruto because I was so deep in. I needed to see it end.

I'm pretty sure Naruto is a lot like Dragon Ball. There 's a bunch of great stuff in there, but sitting through the entire series can be very tiring.

Watch DBZ Kai. Its fucking great and the edits they make to it are amazing (though some can kind of be sudden).

Seriously, all of the big 3 could really use a Kai version.

I don't like 90% of it, but I'm able to partition off my emotions in such a way that I can still enjoy the 10% of it that I do. My stand allows me to project my only consciousness back to prior states in time, reversing the damage that mismanagement has done to franchises I enjoy. (It's the best stand power, and if you try to tell me it's not, I'll just rewind to right now when I still think it is.)

Moonlight

Banned
Just don't watch the damn LP.
There's myriads of content out there. I don't understand getting pissy about free videos because they "take up a spot".
My problem comes from an honest desire to love the LP. I don't wanna say 'well that was a wash' and never look forward to another episode. I love Danganronpa, and I love the idea of them playing and talking about it. I think it deserves better treatment than wnat it's getting, and I think it's real fuckin' silly to just go 'just ignore it tho'. They constantly skip past dialogue, miss plot points and disengage themselves almost entirely from what they're sitting in front of and playing. That's not fair to the game and it's aggravating to see as a viewer.

I always pitch a like for the DR episodes because I don't wanna see dislikes overtake it, but I'll never be mad about it (now, at least) - there are clear and obvious problems with their format and level of commentary and I think it's silly to completely blast out any suggestion they could be doing better or seriously reconsider how they want to approach the LP. I want it to finish, and preferably not burnt off like the Pokemon run was. That doesn't have to mean I need to accept the series as it currently is as something that meets my expectations for the guys.

Putting that aside, I am so into that Undertale LP hint that Matt and Liam dropped. It's easily my favourite game in a very long time, and I get excited just thinking about how they'll react to the craziness that ensues as you advance in the game.

Siegcram

My problem comes from an honest desire to love the LP. I don't wanna say 'well that was a wash' and never look forward to another episode. I love Danganronpa, and I love the idea of them playing and talking about it. I think it deserves better treatment than wnat it's getting, and I think it's real fuckin' silly to just go 'just ignore it tho'. They constantly skip past dialogue, miss plot points and disengage themselves almost entirely from what they're sitting in front of and playing. That's not fair to the game and it's aggravating to see as a viewer.

I always pitch a like for the DR episodes because I don't wanna see dislikes overtake it, but I'll never be mad about it (now, at least) - there are clear and obvious problems with their format and level of commentary and I think it's silly to completely blast out any suggestion they could be doing better or seriously reconsider how they want to approach the LP. I want it to finish, and preferably not burnt off like the Pokemon run was. That doesn't have to mean I need to accept the series as it currently is as something that meets my expectations for the guys.
If everyone had well-reasoned complaints/suggestions I wouldn't have any gripes with it.

I have no interest in the LP (or DR in general for that matter), it's just irritating to wad through an avalanche of "Fuck this, where's UD/MGSV", "You're doing it wrong, unsubbed" comments, tweets, what have you, everytime they release a part. It screams an entitlement that is totally beyond me.

E the Shaggy

Naruto started out with promise and then just... I don't even know how to describe what happened.

The only shippuden bit I liked was the puppeteer arc.

Someone recently sent me a clip from the most recent movie and I was just dumbfounded, having not watched the series for a LONG time.

Adult Naruto turns into the Nine Tailed Fox and then materializes super samurai armor from the ether!

Anung

Un Rama
So Vessel confirms that
Undertale
is the next LP. No idea what to make of that because some people are convinced that is won't be good LP material. I'll probably avoid it because it seems like on of those games you need to play yourself.

kewlmyc

Someone recently sent me a clip from the most recent movie and I was just dumbfounded, having not watched the series for a LONG time.

Adult Naruto turns into the Nine Tailed Fox and then materializes super samurai armor from the ether!
Naruto and the fox are best buds now and with their powers combined they form Anime Jesus.

Top Bottom