• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

MrHoot

While Zubaz has a "career" in a dubious wrestling event, he's still bottom of the barrel in VGCW
as he got his head shrunk by the gameshark. Poor Zigzag

Skrams

Pretty sure the whole point of Something Awful these days is that you CAN'T see it unless you bought a forums account. So I can see where the idea came from in Matt's post. Unless it's only direct links to an on going thread or something that are still public and not navigating the site.

Either way, I've got no reason to keep my mouth shut about it now since it got shared anyway.

Dunno, I had the direct link to the thread so I didn't end up needing an account.

I also now kind of feel weird for posting it on the reddit and including the "don't talk about it line." It makes it sound a bit more skeezy than it really is.

Anyway, they should probably put up the Vessel announcement video already because a week or two in internet time is an eternity for people.

JC Sera

Well I can say for now the video player for vessel is much better than their website's one
by dint of the fact it actually fucking works

Disgraced

I also now kind of feel weird for posting it on the reddit and including the "don't talk about it line." It makes it sound a bit more skeezy than it really is.
You shouldn't feel weird, dude. Those were his words. I'm sure Matt means well as well, but that line is kind of skeezy.

No need to always paint the guys in positivity just the same as the need to smear 'em. Obviously, there's more eyes on reddit so there's a higher chance of getting a few unfavorable reactions to a statement like that...

Regardless, people ought to know in this case, at least in my opinion.

MrHoot

I do hope Matt feels a bit better in the future though. Winter is closing in and it's not a good time to be in the dumps.

JC Sera

I wonder if this is how they'll handle all future lps. Dark Souls 2 did this but it still sucked.
No this game is pretty unique in this regard

Its actually really common for someone to play up to a certain point (about ~1 hour in) do something they don't want to

and then reset to change it
theres special dialogue for this even

I wonder if this is how they'll handle all future lps. Dark Souls 2 did this but it still sucked.

As Sera said this game handles restarts very well, a LOT of people who have played Undertale restarted their playthrough before they finish it, you'll find out why.

I'd even say that you get more out of the game if you don't get the best ending on your first try, it's almost like the game wants you to restart
since it doesn't give you the feeling that you have a choice at your fight vs Toriel.

Skrams

You shouldn't feel weird, dude. Those were his words. I'm sure Matt means well as well, but that line is kind of skeezy.

No need to always paint the guys in positivity just the same as the need to smear 'em. Obviously, there's more eyes on reddit so there's a higher chance of getting a few unfavorable reactions to a statement like that...

Regardless, people ought to know in this case, at least in my opinion.

I have no problem with letting people see the text from the original forum post, but I felt weird about including that line because it's from a separate forum post. He made the original post detailing Vessel then wrote the other post later on saying keep it to yourselves. I just combined the two for whatever reason I can't remember at the time. I can't really do anything about it now though and it's not like it really matters at this point. They still continue to let the days pass by and not put up a video detailing it. Hell, the reddit mods are already dealing with how to post vessel video related threads before the guys have talked about it.

Disgraced

I have no problem with letting people see the text from the original forum post, but I felt weird about including that line because it's from a separate forum post. He made the original post detailing Vessel then wrote the other post later on saying keep it to yourselves. [...] They still continue to let the days pass by and not put up a video detailing it. Hell, the reddit mods are already dealing with how to post vessel video related threads before the guys have talked about it.
Ah, that's right. I forgot about that. Still, what you posted was everything he wrote about it, originally part of one writing or not.

Like I've said before, that's why I don't think you should feel weird about it—it's a bit harsh of me to say so, but they weren't prepared to present it at launch their way and the audience getting and posting info unadulterated is the consequence.

JC Sera

As Sera said this game handles restarts very well, a LOT of people who have played Undertale restarted their playthrough before they finish it, you'll find out why.

I'd even say that you get more out of the game if you don't get the best ending on your first try, it's almost like the game wants you to restart
since it doesn't give you the feeling that you have a choice at your fight vs Toriel.
I actually figured it out the first time round but it was
after trying to talk X10
I was initially surprised how many people did go through with it
but unless you listen really closely to the mercy frog, or have played the demo/read the instruction manual it is pretty hard to spot

she gives you a verbal cue with the [...] speechbubble

God Undertale is so good.

It's giving me the same feelings Earthbound gave me as a kid, and the music is superb

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! I'M SUCH A GODDAMNED MONSTER I'M SO SORRY

I actually figured it out the first time round but it was
after trying to talk X10
I was initially surprised how many people did go through with it
but unless you listen really closely to the mercy frog, or have played the demo/read the instruction manual it is pretty hard to spot

she gives you a verbal cue with the [...] speechbubble

I actually
misinterpreted what the frog was explaining as "if their name isn't yellow you can't spare them ever, so when I fought with Toriel I just assumed that I had to beat her. If I had any idea that there was another option I would have kept fighting her forever until I figured out how to spare her.

JC Sera

I actually
misinterpreted what the frog was explaining as "if their name isn't yellow you can't spare them ever, so when I fought with Toriel I just assumed that I had to beat her. If I had any idea that there was another option I would have kept fighting her forever until I figured out how to spare her.
Ah thats super unfortunate
Another interesting thing:
if you [FIGHT] her but miss all the attacks, it has the same effect

I actually

This is exactly what I thought when I played the first time. regardless I got really good at getting through the game.

The real shit is when you do a genocide run after doing pacifist true ending.
I'm pretty sure characters are calling me out that I restarted the game when they had the perfect ending, just so that I could kill everyone. and now I have to do a soulless run!

Ah thats super unfortunate
Another interesting thing:
if you [FIGHT] her but miss all the attacks, it has the same effect
Ha, that's actually how I did it. I thought that was the intended way too haha.
This is exactly what I thought when I played the first time. regardless I got really good at getting through the game.

The real shit is when you do a genocide run after doing pacifist true ending.
I'm pretty sure characters are calling me out that I restarted the game when they had the perfect ending, just so that I could kill everyone. and now I have to do a soulless run!
Yeah I've seen that video that shows all of the changes in a genocide run and I really never want to experience that, I already feel awful when I'm an asshole in games like Mass Effect, I could never do it in Undertale.

Ha, that's actually how I did it. I thought that was the intended way too haha.

Yeah I've seen that video that shows all of the changes in a genocide run and I really never want to experience that, I already feel awful when I'm an asshole in games like Mass Effect, I could never do it in Undertale.

There's even a part where they call out people watching other people play genocide runs because they are too cowardly to do it, but still sick enough to watch it happen!

I love this game so much!

JC Sera

There's even a part where they call out people watching other people play genocide runs because they are too cowardly to do it, but still sick enough to watch it happen!

I love that part
I love all of
flowey's
meta callouts and bullshit, the little asshole

Moonlight

Banned
Vessel is paying for itself for the Undertale LP.

...but man, I am almost cringing at what's going on as they figure out the game. But I'm not going to judge, since I was guilty of some of the same things on my first run.

EDIT: "I'd like to think getting XP is better." ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

EDIT2: I'm being unfair and irrational. I know I am. But they haven't figured out how sparing works and it's driving me absolutely nuts.

Yeah the game 4th walling me when I'M NOT EVEN PLAYING is amazing.
I love that part
I love all of
flowey's
meta callouts and bullshit, the little asshole
One of the most memorable
"villains"
I've ever experienced in a video game.

Alfebit

Banned
Finally catching up on the month of SBFP content I've been too lazy to watch.

Starfox was a thing, Rare Rapelay wasn't too entertaining, Until Dawn is still super rad, Liam's dumping ass all over MGSV, Dangling Grandpas is happening I guess(can't watch because spoilers), and it looks like another LP that I won't be able to watch will be starting soon. Boy was Rustlemania 2 underwhelming.

Vessel is paying for itself for the Undertale LP.

...but man, I am almost cringing at what's going on as they figure out the game. But I'm not going to judge, since I was guilty of some of the same things on my first run.

EDIT: "I'd like to think getting XP is better." ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

EDIT2: I'm being unfair and irrational. I know I am. But they haven't figured out how sparing works and it's driving me absolutely nuts.

You're being super unfair since it's their first time playing the game, and from the tweet it sounds like they learn pretty quickly.

JC Sera

Undertale LP? If it isn't Pat and Liam it can fuck off
:3

Guess I need to get Undertale now.
Liam and Matt, pretty ok
they aren't very quick on the uptake though, be ready for frustration

ALSO YES GET UNDERTALE
fvvB2YH.png

Top Bottom