• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

convo

If they truly want to nuke themselves, then the guys could just go for the worst possible ending in that game they're gonna play through next, would really be the closer to end all closers for the shitstorm of scariness. They can go for it if they truly feel like burning it all down rather soon.

Thinking about how excited I am about the undertale lp, I' ve realized its been a while since the zaibatsu has done a lp of an older rpg.

People have mentioned that earthbound would be a good play through. What else do people think might be a good lp rpg.

I would be interested to see an LP of saga frontier, since it could be a somewhat short/long series. Though I may be the only person to want that.

Thinking about how excited I am about the undertale lp, I' ve realized its been a while since the zaibatsu has done a lp of an older rpg.

People have mentioned that earthbound would be a good play through. What else do people think might be a good lp rpg.

I would be interested to see an LP of saga frontier, since it could be a somewhat short/long series. Though I may be the only person to want that.

If it's quirky and charming, Its a good RPG for Patliam. Xenogears should be a WooliPat production.

Matt and Pat could do a LP of Xenoblade.

Eh, I guess it will do. It is just I think Pat and Liam are the best for doing RPG styled games. Liam's plucky youth and Pat's Patness.
Here's the thing, without spoiling too much, this game isn't similar to any other RPG, so I'm okay with Pat not being there.

Also the game has lots of humor so it's more fitting for Matt to be there, I only wish Liam was playing and not Matt, that seems like a mistake.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't think RPGs tend to make great LPs. The reason Barkley was so amazing and say, Chrono Trigger kinda wasn't, was how it kinda escaped the trappings of any regular JRPG - an absurd battle system that frequently broke its' own rules and its' brevity as an overall experience. There was substantially less downtime to it, and the writing was so sharp there was always something to talk about or laugh at. A Xeno-game would be nice in theory, but there's just a looot of time in that game where you're not really getting anywhere.

Earthbound is definitely too slow an experience, IMO.

You're being super unfair since it's their first time playing the game, and from the tweet it sounds like they learn pretty quickly.
Of course I am. I said as much. Heck, I did half the things they did. It's a little hard to listen to in spite of the fact it is totally reasonable that they don't know how the game works, but what the game does sticks with me so much it's a bit difficult for me to see it played 'wrong'. So yeah, I'm being unreasonable, but it's just an emotional thing. And the knowledge that they're going back makes me both relieved, and kinda curious how exactly this blind run goes down in flames.

Disgraced

I don't think RPGs tend to make great LPs. The reason Barkley was so amazing and say, Chrono Trigger kinda wasn't, was how it kinda escaped the trappings of any regular JRPG - an absurd battle system that frequently broke its' own rules and its' brevity as an overall experience. There was substantially less downtime to it, and the writing was so sharp there was always something to talk about or laugh at. A Xeno-game would be nice in theory, but there's just a looot of time in that game where you're not really getting anywhere.

I agree, LPs of RPGs tend to be bloated and boring unless there's a strong gimmick (i.e. a unique/role-playing player-character, or strict ruleset/playstyle such as *Nuzlocke, no deaths, level 1, this equipment only, etc.) or the game isn't a "typical," hefty RPG and its writing provokes interesting reactions from the LPer. As with Barkley, I think Undertale will ultimately fall under the latter. And yet even then, I don't think this type of LP is the greatest, because it's the kind of game (as was Barkley) that's more interesting than anything any LPer has to say about it, so all it does is serve as supplementary material for someone who has already beaten the game themselves (basically, it's like watching a friend react to something you liked, which is a weak reason for a formal LP).

A great LP is one that establishes itself as its own valid work. The best if not the only thing somebody who hasn't played a Barkley/Undertale-game is going to gain from watching an LP of this type of game is a diluted version of playing it themselves.

*The Zaibatsu's Nuzlocke LP sucked because Woolie played it way too safe and because Matt and Liam were disinterested, not because it was Nuzlocke. I'd say Nuzlocke is the most efficient way to make a Pokémon LP entertaining even, considering how repetitive it is. How do you negate that? Raise the stakes tenfold. Take slowbeef's ongoing Nuzlocke run for example, which has been hilarious. Even more so as it's blind/he's never played a Pokémon game before.

Of course I am. I said as much. Heck, I did half the things they did. It's a little hard to listen to in spite of the fact it is totally reasonable that they don't know how the game works, but what the game does sticks with me so much it's a bit difficult for me to see it played 'wrong'. So yeah, I'm being unreasonable, but it's just an emotional thing. And the knowledge that they're going back makes me both relieved, and kinda curious how exactly this blind run goes down in flames.

I completely agree that earth bound might be a show game to lp, but kind of like those lps. Am I the only one who liked the Pokemon and chrono trigger play through?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I completely agree that earth bound might be a show game to lp, but kind of like those lps. Am I the only one who liked the Pokemon and chrono trigger play through?

I liked the stories in the chrono trigger lp, but I have to say I skipped like a good 1/3 of the lp. Pokemon was "eh" like less than halfway through.

I liked the stories in the chrono trigger lp, but I have to say I skipped like a good 1/3 of the lp. Pokemon was "eh" like less than halfway through.
I can definitely understand that I am the odd one out in regards to those types of lps.
Because of that, I can only assume that if they do another LP of a traditional jrpg, it will be to specifically appease me.

If it's quirky and charming, Its a good RPG for Patliam. Xenogears should be a WooliPat production.

Matt and Pat could do a LP of Xenoblade.

I love Xenoblade but I don't trust any of the SBF to play it without them making me want to rip my hair out. The battle system isn't the very simple or forgiving and they could easily get stuck doing sidequests forever, not to mention the game is too long for it to stay interesting as an LP.

Disgraced

Am I the only one who liked the Pokemon and chrono trigger play through?
Their Chrono Trigger LP has its moments but it's mostly trite.

Their Pokémon run was promising in concept but in actuality it sucked ass, as to why, see my last post above or below. The stream was cool though and it was a nice if unprecedentedly bold way for them to acknowledge criticism and mend their mistakes.
They ought to do something similar with the DR LPwhatdanganronpalpwhatareyoutalkingaboutididn'tsayanythingaboutityoucrazy

I love Xenoblade but I don't trust any of the SBF to play it without them making me want to rip my hair out. The battle system isn't the very simple or forgiving and they could easily get stuck doing sidequests forever, not to mention the game is too long for it to stay interesting as an LP.

They won't have to show off side quests, there's plenty of Wikis and LPers that have done this already. They can focus on the main story and some of the world building sidequests.

I just want to give Matt the opportunity to use his James Small voice for everything in that game.

Anyone saw the new Final Bosman episode guest starring...

5i9n9DT.gif

Xiraiya

Undertale seems interesting, it looks way shittier than I expected but it's very amusing. Also when you start breaking it down, you realize this game could have been or might have been at some point a Pokemon ROM hack, so many overworld and battle things just seem very "Pokemon-like" I thought the trees in the snow area were actually ripped from one of the GBA Pokemon games for a moment.

Until Dawn Final
Now everyone gets to find out if they did it!
Except for everyone who saw this days ago on Vessel.

Undertale seems interesting, it looks way shittier than I expected but it's very amusing. Also when you start breaking it down, you realize this game could have been or might have been at some point a Pokemon ROM hack, so many overworld and battle things just seem very "Pokemon-like" I thought the trees in the snow area were actually ripped from one of the GBA Pokemon games for a moment.
The creator made a rather famous 'Halloween' ROM Hack for Earthbound

I'm glad they're resetting for pacifist though,
the game's memory of events is the coolest.

I can't wait for them to get to episode 40 or so of Phantom Pain and just start yelling everytime they hear "you're going to extract him?"

Also, I think I just laughed at the podcast the hardest in like 2 months
that sentence structure makes total sense shut up

Woolie: *coughs*
Pat: Don't you get me sick, Woolie

*5 minutes later*

Pat: *coughs*
Pat: GOD DAMN IT, FUCK YOU WOOLIE

Skrams

Yes, and now I can vent about how fucking wrong Pat is about hannah being the good wendigo. They just attack and eat whatever moves.

I would still spoiler that for the people who aren't watching the LP, but ok.

I'm surprised how nice and wrapped up like a bow that ending is. I wouldn't say it's a bad ending, but it came much quicker than I expected.

Finally Matt and Jessica come back around. They're dealt with well enough at least.

A bit late to the news but I kinda hope they talked about DICE/EA getting Solar Fields back for Mirror's Edge Catalyst for this weeks podcast. Best news about this game
and most likely gonna pre-order it when I get the chance.

Just like to hear Woolie and Pat's thoughts on it, they probably will for next week's podcast.

Man, after that finished I looked up some death vids from UD and it's amazing how important finding those clues are. Also it's funny to see some of the deaths they seemed to avoid simply by accident.

zeemumu

They did great for a first playthrough. Only real fuck-up was
Matt failing to lock the door so they missed the whole segment on Mike and the dog escaping the Wendigo Supermax prison and the dog is most likely dead because of it since they didn't get a trophy for saving it.

Finished up the last three parts of Until Dawn. Great LP.

So behind on MGSV that I might just watch from the latest part. Have they got to the
The Devil's house
yet? Don't wanna miss that.

Top Bottom