• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

This post threw me for a loop.
Same.

As far as the final of UD goes...
I never picked up that Hannah was that big Wendigo. I did rewind and see what he was talking about when Sam hits the lights and it stops the other one from getting to her.

I really want to hear the spoilercast next week and see if Pat really seeked out a graph of everything. Especially because
keeping the flare gun would eliminate Emily talking about Mike pointing a gun at her at the end. Matt also avoided the part where he needed the flare gun by jumping off so quickly so in theory, they both can live and not get bit.

MrHoot

Oh man, until dawn thingie

I can't BELIEVE they actually got the "good" end for Emily (as in, she is actually worried about Matt) after the shit he pulled. I was sure she'd be super pissed at him, as it's one of the options for the endings if you disagree with her too much. That must've been a super close cal

zeemumu

As much as I loved Until Dawn, I do have one minor nitpick:
Those must have been really shitty cops if they neglected to realize that there were mining tunnels and a Sanatorium on that mountain. It took Sam and Mike one quick look-through to find the place where Hannah was stuck down there, so I doubt that the cops most likely never checked. Plus, if they had gone to the Sanatorium they would have seen the Wendigo prison.

kewlmyc

I still don't believe Matt and Pat were able to
guess correctly and receive the good ending on their first try.

I call shenanigans on Matt knowing to
have Matt not save Emily. :p

Everything else was pretty straight forward. Don't fuck up QTEs and don't do obviously stupid shit like shoot your friends, fight a hoard of deer, and go off by yourself.

Disgraced

7TVYlCP.jpg

This is pathetic. He made a similar comment on the Tumblr a week or so ago as well. This plus the way Liam's reacted to negative comments on the sub looks very dense if not in denial. I don't understand why they're being so weird about this. Yes, YT comments tend to be shitty. The vast majority of the criticism elsewhere has been fair.
SBFancast episode 004 is out

http://sbfancast.libsyn.com/episode-004

I'm still terrible.
I don't think it's as terrible as you think it is. I think what it needs most is more confidence.

Geg

7TVYlCP.jpg

This is pathetic. He made a similar comment on the Tumblr a week or so ago as well. This plus the way Liam's reacted to negative comments on the sub looks very dense if not in denial. I don't understand why they're being so weird about this. Yes, YT comments tend to be shitty. The vast majority of the criticism elsewhere has been fair.

Yeah, the reason MGS got a ton of downvotes immediately after going up yesterday was totally due to fair criticism and not babbies upset about it not being Until Dawn

Disgraced

Yeah, the reason MGS got a ton of downvotes immediately after going up yesterday was totally due to fair criticism and not babbies upset about it not being Until Dawn
Likes as soon it goes up are just as invalid by your logic. People have every right to provide feedback by disliking content they don't enjoy and like content they do.

There are problems with the DR LP, and to a lesser extent the MGS one. People have talked about them extensively here and on the subreddit. They've accepted almost zero of them and addressed even less.
That's because I haven't appeared on the fancast yet :D
R0g3zKf.jpg

Laputa_94

7TVYlCP.jpg

This is pathetic. He made a similar comment on the Tumblr a week or so ago as well. This plus the way Liam's reacted to negative comments on the sub looks very dense if not in denial. I don't understand why they're being so weird about this. Yes, YT comments tend to be shitty. The vast majority of the criticism elsewhere has been fair.I don't think it's as terrible as you think it is. I think what it needs most is more confidence.

I can see how he can be upset about it, but that just is what comes with putting out content. Have to be able to deal with criticism vaild or not.

Anung

Un Rama

Maybe people have been downvoting videos because of that but Matt just can't choose to ignore the huge chunk of people who are disliking DR because its y'know...bad. People aren't even being dicks about it and are using totally decent reasons. Don't know if Matt is just being willfully dense here but it does make him look like his finger is off the pulse.

I'd be shocked if DR stopped getting dislikes now that UD is finished. It'll still get them because its a crappy LP.

Anung

Un Rama
Between Vessel and this I'm thinking the Zaibatsu seriously need to start getting gud at taking feedback and also dealing with there fans. Because once Vessel (eventually) gets announced and money gets involved they are gonna start needing to deal with whatever fan shit comes with that. Can't just go all smoke and mirrors on it.

Between Vessel and this I'm thinking the Zaibatsu seriously need to start getting gud at taking feedback and also dealing with there fans. Because once Vessel (eventually) gets announced and money gets involved they are gonna start needing to deal with whatever fan shit comes with that. Can't just go all smoke and mirrors on it.

I still believe a Patreon would've been better for them instead of trying to ease fans into paying for early content.

Anung

Un Rama
I still believe a Patreon would've been better for them instead of trying to ease fans into paying for early content.

Judging from that SA post most of the Zaibatsu were really against it. I think its because with that comes actual expectation and entitlement. They'd have a lot of pressure on them with that model.

Disgraced

Maybe.
I can see how he can be upset about it, but that just is what comes with putting out content. Have to be able to deal with criticism vaild or not.
Agreed.

Accept what you think is valuable criticism and reject what you don't. But rejecting all of it is only going to hurt.

aly

As much as I loved Until Dawn, I do have one minor nitpick:
Those must have been really shitty cops if they neglected to realize that there were mining tunnels and a Sanatorium on that mountain. It took Sam and Mike one quick look-through to find the place where Hannah was stuck down there, so I doubt that the cops most likely never checked. Plus, if they had gone to the Sanatorium they would have seen the Wendigo prison.
I got the impression that what happened up there in the Mountains got covered up, especially with how cryptic the Sheriff was when discussing the case at the start of the lp. The area being snow covered probably did'nt help matters either.

7TVYlCP.jpg

This is pathetic. He made a similar comment on the Tumblr a week or so ago as well. This plus the way Liam's reacted to negative comments on the sub looks very dense if not in denial. I don't understand why they're being so weird about this. Yes, YT comments tend to be shitty. The vast majority of the criticism elsewhere has been fair.I don't think it's as terrible as you think it is. I think what it needs most is more confidence.

I got to say, that's not a good look. What's going to be his excuse if DR videos continue to get down voted? Avoiding criticism is never the best way to handle it and saying things like Matt and Liam have done just opens up to more criticism and mocking. It's just going to get worse with people paying money directly on Vessel as well.

Even thoughthis came from a terrible YouTube comment, it's interesting that despite everyone hating Emily, and rightly so she's terrible. Ashley is actually the worst one.
She actively encourages Mike to shoot Emily, and apparently if as Chris you choose to "shoot" her instead of yourself she'll stand by with the door to the lodge locked and literally watch as Chris gets his head ripped off.

MrHoot

If anything, the view count on the DR videos should be a better assesment of the quality of the LP than the like/dislike. And that's not looking great either. They're at 1/4th usually of the view count of the until dawn LP videos. Even the MGS LP which is criticized still has more than double the count

Disgraced

I got to say, that's not a good look. What's going to be his excuse if DR videos continue to get down voted? Avoiding criticism is never the best way to handle it and saying things like Matt and Liam have done just opens up to more criticism and mocking. It's just going to get worse with people paying money directly on Vessel as well.
Okay, well Matt's saved face a little bit.

Via Reddit
Matt said:
I get that some other LPs had problems. But this was far beyond that, I saw comments on every social media site we're on for the last full month, where the overwhelming theme was, "Fuck this video, where's Until Dawn?" That's not criticism, and it doesn't help anyone. That's someone purposefully coming into content they don't want to watch, not watching it, just to spread negativity for negativity's sake.

And no, it was not on just DR, it was literally on Metal Gear, Star Fox, and Mystery Boxes. It was on every piece of content we put out in September.
TheHardTruthinator said:
Bossman, I love you and all of your underlings, but I hope that you don't truly believe that UD is the sole reason for DR being disliked.
Nope. Not at all. But it made it far worse.
Nonetheless, the Tweet's still immature and dismissive as has been their attitude towards much of the criticism lately. And while I'm sure their social networking was flooded with equally immature reactions to some of their videos, it frankly doesn't excuse their handling of it. Like I said earlier, learn to filter it, dude. I don't mean literally through way of social networking tools either. Ignore the shit that's offensive and look at the feedback that's good, evaluate its value to your work, and accept what's useful and reject what isn't accordingly.

And while I can't see their inboxes, as for public commenting not all of their other videos were overwhelmingly "Where's Until Dawn?!" I know there's a couple DR videos where the opposite is in fact the case.

KdylanR92

My body is ready for the ShitStorm, it's been a long 2 months without watching them and GameGrumps were a decent placebo but it's time for the real hardcore drugs that are Matt and Pat.

Like I said earlier, learn to filter it, dude. I don't mean literally through way of social networking tools either. Ignore the shit that's offensive and look at the feedback that's good, evaluate its value to your work, and accept what's useful and reject what isn't accordingly.

And while I can't see their inboxes, as for public commenting not all of their other videos were overwhelmingly "Where's Until Dawn?!" I know there's a couple DR videos where the opposite is in fact the case.
I think there's no real avenue for meaningful feedback for them. Pat stated this back when, he felt their feedback was easier universally positive dick sucking, or needlessly hateful, depending on where they look.

I don't have any real answers for how you process those avenues and how to weigh the myriad complaints and suggestions involved. Not to mention different people run each LP.

i'unno.

Anung

Un Rama
I think there's no real avenue for meaningful feedback for them. Pat stated this back when, he felt their feedback was easier universally positive dick sucking, or needlessly hateful, depending on where they look.

I don't have any real answers for how you process those avenues and how to weigh the myriad complaints and suggestions involved. Not to mention different people run each LP.

i'unno.

I don't know how this would work but I'd say just look at whatever emerging narrative is playing out from the masses and addresses it in a direct matter on the Q&A part of the podcast or something. No idea if it'd work or how but it might be worth a try? However they deal with it being more direct would definitely be a positive thing.

Also Matt! Thanks for spoiling the UD finale on his twitter D:

I don't know how this would work but I'd say just look at whatever emerging narrative is playing out from the masses and addresses it in a direct matter on the Q&A part of the podcast or something. No idea if it'd work or how but it might be worth a try? However they deal with it being more direct would definitely be a positive thing.
I'm pretty skeptical that that would be functional or useful.

Disgraced

There's a lot of ass-kissing and a portion of hate, but the sub and here are not that simple. I don't look at it much really, but knowing SA, I doubt the thread there is all that either. Elsewhere is a different story, and that's where they apparently need to learn how to filter reception better.
I don't have the all the answers either, but there are plenty of prominent YTubers/content creators that look at their feedback and act accordingly. They ought to look at how they're doing it, hell, maybe even contact them and ask for advice, and figure things out. It's far from impossible.

Look, content creators having an avenue of feedback is relatively new. Pre-internet, there wasn't an immediate feedback loop that reinforced or divulged opinions that spreads as quickly as it does now.

Pre-internet, they were called focus groups or test audiences.

The Zaibatsu don't need to please everyone, but if they're choosing to engage their fans, they need to understand how fickle they are and how they expect consistant improvement, whether big or small.

Pat knows this, which is why he's avoided coming back to the community. I do not blame him.

Disgraced

Look, content creators having an avenue of feedback is relatively new. Pre-internet, there wasn't an immediate feedback loop that reinforced or divulged opinions that spreads as quickly as it does now.

Pre-internet, they were called focus groups or test audiences.
Very true.

I think it's a good thing.
The Zaibatsu don't need to please everyone, but if they're choosing to engage their fans, they need to understand how fickle they are and how they expect consistant improvement, whether big or small.
Personally, I just expect less bad, not so much consistent improvement. Admittedly, this is coming from a very 'consumer' point of view. Yet I still think adaptability and good handling of feedback is possible, as there's plenty of other content creators that are more successful in this regard.
Pat knows this, which is why he's avoided coming back to the community. I do not blame him.
I can't speak on this as before recently posting in this community often I only lurked irregularly as it seemed a bit too off-topic for my preferences, but it's pretty okay now I think and as I understand there was some sort of kerfuffle(s) that triggered as much. I'm not asking/I don't want to know.

welp prepare for more salt guys
no MGSV till Saturday
according to Vessel(which im using to know whats coming ahead of time)
2pm vid is DR and tonight is of course Shitstorm

7TVYlCP.jpg

What's more pathetic are ill-informed comments like this. It's very clear from not only the dislikes, but the comments themselves that people were furious that another video was uploaded and not UD. It's plain as day.

Edit: I mean honestly, look at the Dangan part that just went up. Within minutes it has over 100+ dislikes. You're disliking the video before you even have a chance to watch it. That's not because you dislike the videos contents, it's because you hate that it's not another ongoing LP.

If anything, the view count on the DR videos should be a better assesment of the quality of the LP than the like/dislike. And that's not looking great either. They're at 1/4th usually of the view count of the until dawn LP videos. Even the MGS LP which is criticized still has more than double the count

Honestly if they start putting out videos based on what's popular as opposed to what they want to play, I'll be pretty disappointed in them. You're no longer doing this because it's what you enjoy at this point and the channel will devolve into nothing but Shitstorm 9 The Sixty Niner followed by "Week of Resident Evil Spinoffs"

Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls Part 14

Site

YT

This episode's much better. Too bad we're 14 episodes in. Too little too late.

also fucking lol

9RO2sBB.jpg

See, this is exactly what I mean. It's a great episode and the game is finally getting somewhere but people don't care because "MUH METAL GEAR".

Mark my words, Metal Gear will begin getting shit on in a few days when
Undertale
starts up.

Disgraced

See, this is exactly what I mean. It's a great episode and the game is finally getting somewhere but people don't care because "MUH METAL GEAR".

Mark my words, Metal Gear will begin getting shit on in a few days when
Undertale
starts up.
It's not your video so I'm not sure why you're upset.

With YouTube's system it's everyone's right to dislike or like.

Disgraced

It's frustrating to see any content from any creator shit on to this degree purely for "the lolz"
What are you implying?

We've been over this, disliking isn't "shitting on," likes/dislikes are the closest thing YT has to a built-in rating system. People don't like this content, and that's a simple, fast, efficient way to voice their opinion. It's not a "fuck-you-fuck-you-fuck-you" button, it's a "you know what, I don't like this video" button.

I'm sorry that a lot of people not enjoying this video frustrates you. Maybe you could use all that frustration as motivation to convince them all to like it somehow?

MrHoot

What's more pathetic are ill-informed comments like this. It's very clear from not only the dislikes, but the comments themselves that people were furious that another video was uploaded and not UD. It's plain as day.

Edit: I mean honestly, look at the Dangan part that just went up. Within minutes it has over 100+ dislikes. You're disliking the video before you even have a chance to watch it. That's not because you dislike the videos contents, it's because you hate that it's not another ongoing LP.

Honestly if they start putting out videos based on what's popular as opposed to what they want to play, I'll be pretty disappointed in them. You're no longer doing this because it's what you enjoy at this point and the channel will devolve into nothing but Shitstorm 9 The Sixty Niner followed by "Week of Resident Evil Spinoffs"

Far from me to suggest that. I'd rather have them play stuff they enjoy all the time. Otherwise what would be the point. It was mostly to point out that people who don't like DR don't necessarily shit on it because it's not UD, but also because it's not that enjoyable to watch as a whole.

And at the end of the day, they DO live from their channel, and i'd like them to continue to do so because it's a dream "job" after all. But to do that I guess you have to do certain concessions and admit that some games are more enjoyable for your viewers than others.

I'm kinda going by slowbeef's old "mantra" for LPs, or in simpler terms, the stuff he said during his podcasts regarding quality of LPs:

- Doing LP to show the quality of the game before the persona of the LPer.
- No Blind LP. Going back to the first point is obvious, but also because it avoids having frustrating situation between the LPer and the viewers (people will recall the Bloodborne LP). I thought Silent Hill 2 was the best example of "One blind, one who knows the game" as it gave you both Pat's insight and Matt's discovery. Even Dark Souls 2, for it's flaws, was better because of that and so that they could see everything

He also had a point about the SA rules of waiting 6 months (don't know if it's still a thing) before LPing a new game. I don't necessarily agree with that, but we've seen in the case of super popular games like MGSV, it's a bit of a problem as some people (like me) don't necessarily want to watch it to avoid getting spoiled. Also because, again, blind playthrough

The blind LP's are absolutely something that has to stop, at least as far as both LP'ers go. It's fine if at least one of them are new because we as the viewer would still get that oh-so-glorious first time reaction while the other can be there to make sure there aren't any stumbles in the LP itself. Take the finale of Star Fox Adventures for example, Liam knowing everything that was coming made it so god damn amazing in the end.

Edzi

The blind LP's are absolutely something that has to stop, at least as far as both LP'ers go. It's fine if at least one of them are new because we as the viewer would still get that oh-so-glorious first time reaction while the other can be there to make sure there aren't any stumbles in the LP itself. Take the finale of Star Fox Adventures for example, Liam knowing everything that was coming made it so god damn amazing in the end.

Absolutely, but not only do general blind LPs need to stop, but ESPECIALLY blind LPs of games that they're really really into. I'll never figure out why they thought blind LPs of Bloodborne and MGSV were a good idea.

started Undertale and got to the house
this is so like Earthbound its crazy
ive basicly decided to play how i would if i was the character
so the veggies had to die

Top Bottom