• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

The dub is decent enough. Loads of GITS alumni. I could listen to the subbed version if I want. I was really daunted by the fact its 74 episodes long. I'm about 6 in now and daaaaamnnnnnn its good. Seems to be no fat at all on the show. Really glad I took Pats/This threads advice and checked it out.

I finally remembered what episode I left off at (17), god this series is good.

GIFaf540.gif

Caught that in the topic on Gaf. Oh man, I'm so sold.

MrHoot

I've started Undertale, i'm slightly ahead of the guys. I love that game so much.

It's funn too, i had a slightly different interaction with the lesser dog,
I didn't pet him all the way so he didn't manage to do all his sculptures. He did leave a snowy dog on my head tho ! CUTE !

Youtube comments have gotten more agressive lately, especially towards Liam. I find it highly annoying, especially since they aren't even criticising but just shitting on everything and everyone just because they can :/

I know Youtube comments have always been shit but that doesn't mean I should be okay with this horrible behaviour.

Youtube comments have gotten more agressive lately, especially towards Liam. I find it highly annoying, especially since they aren't even criticising but just shitting on everything and everyone just because they can :/

I know Youtube comments have always been shit but that doesn't mean I should be okay with this horrible behaviour.

I've actually a more negative atmosphere about their videos every since the proclaimed "Golden Age" of videos ended.

Its like a bunch of fans created a self fulfilling prophecy about the content, and just want to angry at stuff. Like there are more and more entitled comments, and people apparently expecting them to be more nit picky about stuff in videos.

I know their fanbase is getting larger, which probably leads to a higher chance of getting those types of viewers.

This is probably just a part of a milestone for their channel. Hopefully they use it to get better. As they say " Pressure makes diamonds".

BossRush

I'm a bit upset that they're not just going to keep going with their murder playthrough in undertale. It feels cheap. Own up to your own stupid mistakes.

JC Sera

I'm a bit upset that they're not just going to keep going with their murder playthrough in undertale. It feels cheap. Own up to your own stupid mistakes.
They are doing a thing a lot of people do with that game,
A thing that there is specific dialogue coded in for, said dialogue that often is peoples first
"wtf is this game holy shit, theres a lot more to this thank I initially thought" moment

Neol

Its platinum so ofcourse
Need to see reviews first tho since Korra.
Even Plat can lose street cred

For sure but I enjoyed Korra for what it is even though it feels a bit flat.

I'm expecting this to be better than Korra regardless but I'm not sure by how much.

GIFaf540.gif

Caught that in the topic on Gaf. Oh man, I'm so sold.

God damn. I wasn't really hype for the game before, but after seeing this I'm way more interested.

A genocide playthrough is not nearly as interesting as a Pacifist one. Also, doing a genocide playthrough would lock them from getting the true end.

ok beat Pacifist
for the first time im not going to do an evil playthrough
i guess i care more about these characters than Fallout when i dont even blink when i throw them off a tower or nuke their town
ill instead go play as Plague Knight and not feel like shit playing as the villain
edit: if Toby ever makes a sequel i want a way to have more HP and DEF without resorting to murder
maybe AP-affection points that you get when you dont kill
basicly i want an in depth morality system

JC Sera

ok beat Pacifist
for the first time im not going to do an evil playthrough
i guess i care more about these characters than Fallout when i dont even blink when i throw them off a tower or nuke their town
ill instead go play as Plague Knight and not feel like shit playing as the villain
:^)

Regretting your choices and restarting the game is part of the game itself, why do you think they left part 1 and 2 in there? Believe me, the LP is not restarting.
edit: if Toby ever makes a sequel i want a way to have more HP and DEF without resorting to murder

Then there's no point to it is there? The whole point is that you
make a choice between becoming more powerful at the cost of the lives of others OR not fighting, which means you remain weak. Both paths take determination, you need to stay determined to stay on the pacifist path even when you really want to have more HP and you need to stay determined on the genocidal path when the game is trying to make you feel bad for killing everyone. If you had another way of gaining more HP/defense then the (IMO not difficult enough)choice suddenly becomes extremely easy.

In a next game I'd want him to make it harder to figure out what the "right choice" is, or have none of the choices really be right.

its got that Earthbound charm ya know
which means a game has finally come that can carry on the Earthbound Legacy
edit: change the incentives then
only pacifist can use items and armor
only genocide can use weapons(no items or armor)

What I really liked about Undertale is that while it does take heavy inspiration from Mother, it doesn't try to be a Mother game, and this is partly why I dislike fangames such as that Mother 4 fangame. That game can AT BEST be a worse Earthbound/Mother 3, doing everything those games did slightly/considerably worse.

Undertale however does do some things worse, but it also does things better than the Mother games did and did things the Mother games never did, making it an entirely new experience rather than a knock-off of the real deal.
i said spiritual successor not a copy
edit:the world needs more games like Undertale and the Mother series
their worlds are so charming that i just want more

Oh my post wasn't a response to yours, I was just thinking.

What I really liked about Undertale is that while it does take heavy inspiration from Mother, it doesn't try to be a Mother game, and this is partly why I dislike fangames such as that Mother 4 fangame. That game can AT BEST be a worse Earthbound/Mother 3, doing everything those games did slightly/considerably worse.

Undertale however does do some things worse, but it also does things better than the Mother games did and did things the Mother games never did, making it an entirely new experience rather than a knock-off of the real deal.

i said spiritual successor not a copy
edit:the world needs more games like Undertale and the Mother series
their worlds are so charming that i just want more

oh... man... I know its pretty late but, finished JoJo season 1, onto Stardust Crusaders after work... shits good

Tempted to go re-listen to all the jojo-hype podcasts again...

ElTopo

Banned
The last two Shitstorms have been pretty rough. Matt and Pat are making DSP-level mistakes now. In Alien Resurrection they get the pistol but don't use it on anything in the environment. They don't fire at the electrical boxes where electricity is shooting out to disable it, they don't shoot at the oddly-colored boxes that hold health and ammo, and they don't bother to shoot at a table that clearly has ammo underneath it.

Lucious 2 I stopped about 10 minutes in after they got stuck with the first puzzle in the game.

You have to select "Approach" and only touch the green part of the aeroplane projectiles. Do it enough times then you can mercy.

Before I knew how to cheese that fight completely, I would just pay her money to make her attacks less extreme when the muffin attack was coming.

and then I struggled until she would give me a discount for the next pay. I think its 3 muffin attacks and she would reach a point where you could mercy her.

To super cheese the fight
Eat a donut from the bake sale during the fight

You know, my advice on how to do this fight really confirms the craziness of this game.

Thanks guys!!

Also Vessel spoilers
Am I really doing this? lmao

In the BlackSoul vid, they were totally right the song is a rip of this from REC:V

The audio's so bad in the new Shitstorm on Wessel. It's kinda...nostalgic.

LOL I was thinking. Did they record this in 2012 lol?

Lucious 2 I stopped about 10 minutes in after they got stuck with the first puzzle in the game.

That's not really a puzzle. That's a poor conveyance of a basic game mechanic/control feature. A game designer is basically never allowed to blame one of these situations on the player. (Unless they actually are DSP and there's a tutorial prompt showing them a diagram of the button they're supposed to push with text describing how to push it, and they're still asking "How was I supposed to know to push that button?!" That's what makes it a "DSP" moment, though, and not just a regular "Not knowing how to play a game" moment.)

Lucius has some pretty deep fundamental design problems when it comes to conveying controls and design intentions. Not NES "Why would I push Up + Select?" levels of bad, by any means, but it lacks design polish.

ElTopo

Banned
That's not really a puzzle. That's a poor conveyance of a basic game mechanic/control feature. A game designer is basically never allowed to blame one of these situations on the player. (Unless they actually are DSP and there's a tutorial prompt showing them a diagram of the button they're supposed to push with text describing how to push it, and they're still asking "How was I supposed to know to push that button?!" That's what makes it a "DSP" moment, though, and not just a regular "Not knowing how to play a game" moment.)

Lucius has some pretty deep fundamental design problems when it comes to conveying controls and design intentions. Not NES "Why would I push Up + Select?" levels of bad, by any means, but it lacks design polish.

And not shooting crates or a table that obviously has ammo under it in Alien Resurrection? I'm still shocked that they missed that.

And not shooting crates or a table that obviously has ammo under it in Alien Resurrection? I'm still shocked that they missed that.

That isn't a natural conveyance. You don't normally walk around shooting tables in your day to day life. There's nothing in a normal thought process where it follows, "A thing is under a table. I must shoot it with my gun."

The only thing that makes that mechanic even remotely excusable is that the game in question gives you so few means with which to interact with the environment that a player's somewhat likely to discover it through rote trial-and-error. (The crates have the additional "borrowed" affordance created by other FPS games of that era, though it's generally a mistake to rely on that as a designer, as it presupposes an audience that has played those games. You'd always like to think maybe your game will sell more than Duke Nukem, and if so you'd better be able to "teach" players about breaking open goodie crates, rather than expecting them to come in already knowing from similar games.)

These are (mostly) issues you see more rarely these days, thankfully, outside of a few weird European games or the odd experiment in development with no game designers. (o hai thar Ready At Dawn.)

ElTopo

Banned
That isn't a natural conveyance. You don't normally walk around shooting tables in your day to day life. There's nothing in a normal thought process where it follows, "A thing is under a table. I must shoot it with my gun."

So, in a shooter game it's not normal to want to shoot things with a weapon that has infinite ammo?

Xiraiya

This latest MGS part, Ocelot actually brings up the Venom thing at the start of the game, it's a thing he came up with.

Second of all I'm a little disappointed that Liam Gunjumped his way through the Motherbase invasion and killed Mosquito.
They never noticed all the guys were wearing MSF uniforms to begin with, but now they have missed out on a scene giving them the context of what the deal was with that mission

Top Bottom