• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Laputa_94

I decided to stop watching the MGS V LP. While watching the most recent part I realized I just don't really enjoy Liams play style or the overall commentary. The only place of go to get a fix of MGS V is now Plauge since hes enjoyable to watch, and he doesn't gripe about the story he just plays for fun. So now I'll just stick to the Shitstorm which I am actually enjoying a lot.

Disgraced

I decided to stop watching the MGS V LP. While watching the most recent part I realized I just don't really enjoy Liams play style or the overall commentary.
It's... not great.

After being done I resolved to just watch them react to the critical story segments, only to watch the part the other day and the commentary of the cutscene bit was like 90% Pat going "Oh my god there's story happening, oh my god there's story happening, oh my god, there's story happening, et cetera, etc," and the scene completely blew over 'em because it was extremely referential to PW. Now I think I'm done-done as well.

You're in for quite a ride, MONSTER shows just how deep the Woolie hole goes.

Also pay attention to the locations they visit in the show. They're very accurate to their real life counterparts.

Also fuck
Eva

Up to episode 23, I can't agree more with your spoiler.

It's... not great.

After being done I resolved to just watch them react to the critical story segments, only to watch the part the other day and the commentary of the cutscene bit was like 90% Pat going "Oh my god there's story happening, oh my god there's story happening, oh my god, there's story happening, et cetera, etc," and the scene completely blew over 'em because it was extremely referential to PW. Now I think I'm done-done as well.

After feeling so let down from my own play through of MGSV, the only thing I'm waiting for is their reaction to the ending.

God it's gonna be glorious.

Is Liam still being gunjumper? Because if so, you people are hating for no raisin.

I need to catch up on the MGSV playthrough already.

Disgraced

Is Liam still being gunjumper? Because if so, you people are hating for no raisin.

I need to catch up on the MGSV playthrough already.
Naw, I like Gunjumped "Liam" Snake, the rashness and ignorance is blissfully entertaining (usually, but a lot of the time he rushes too much and it's very frustrating), it's just that if you're somebody like me who's already played hundreds of hours of V yourself, there's not much if anything to gain from watching this playthrough. Too many stretches of nil significance.

*And another thing, honestly, Liam's playstyle is only entertaining so much. It is good for laughs, and it is funny for me to watch and know exactly what he's doing wrong... but if you've watched him play for fifteen minutes, you've pretty much seen the whole playthrough.

aly

I'm just watching the MGS V playthrough to see their reactions to cutscenes. Which they sometimes ruin by making the worst guesses about the story that's there.

I decided to stop watching the MGS V LP. While watching the most recent part I realized I just don't really enjoy Liams play style or the overall commentary. The only place of go to get a fix of MGS V is now Plauge since hes enjoyable to watch, and he doesn't gripe about the story he just plays for fun. So now I'll just stick to the Shitstorm which I am actually enjoying a lot.

I knew it was going to a be bad lp from the start. MGSV is not a very interesting game to watch. And add the blunders of double blind into that and... additionally one of them decides he hates the game the more they play, bleh.

Reminds me of the Mario RPG lp, where liam and pat decided they didn't like the game halfway through. Doubleblind is a damn awful idea and I wish the best friends would drop it.
They had it right when they started, the guy playing is blind, and the other guy isn't and helps him along and makes meaningful commentary since he's had a chance to actually think about the game. Thus, not painful to watch.

Disgraced

I'm just watching the MGS V playthrough to see their reactions to cutscenes. Which they sometimes ruin by making the worst guesses about the story that's there.
I don't mind wildly incorrect guesses, I think that's funny actually. Instead I think that them not knowing PW (more so Pat) well at all makes for uninteresting, unintuitive commentary around the story since so much seems to fly over their heads (and in turn if they knew more about it they'd probably have more accurate guesses).

I don't mind wildly incorrect guesses, I think that's funny actually. Instead I think that them not knowing PW (more so Pat) well at all makes for uninteresting, unintuitive commentary around the story since so much seems to fly over their heads (and in turn if they knew more about it they'd probably have more accurate guesses).

It'd be a funner lp if Pat was playing and Liam was commenting. Cause then Pat could rage out, and that would be entertaining and Liam could try to analyze the story.

Disgraced

It'd be a funner lp if Pat was playing and Liam was commenting. Cause then Pat could rage out, and that would be entertaining and Liam could try to analyze the story.
You're probably right, that does sound like it'd work a lot better. That or swap Pat with Woolie, he's down with PW, right? Or at least more down than Pat, I mean he's into 'dat Pacifica Oceana/Tara Strong so he must be.

You're probably right, that does sound like it'd work a lot better. That or swap Pat with Woolie, he's down with PW, right? Or at least more down than Pat, I mean he's into 'dat Pacifica Oceana/Tara Strong so he must be.

Not sure, I know he 'played' it the same way Pat did, he just youtubed the cutscenes. But, him being the only person in the zaibatsu that for sure likes the game, he does seem like he might up the mood slightly at least.

For non-critical mission Liam is great for blowing through that content... For the most part.

For important story point I really would like to hear Pat's speculation as they listen to the tapes....As long as he doesn't miss important points.

Second of all I'm a little disappointed that Liam Gunjumped his way through the Motherbase invasion and killed Mosquito.
They never noticed all the guys were wearing MSF uniforms to begin with, but now they have missed out on a scene giving them the context of what the deal was with that mission

I mean, I just sniped the guy from across the map because I felt lazy and didn't want to walk all over the base. I think if it was a little clearer that capturing him would be some kind of importance then it might be an incentive to not do that. Pat wouldn't have cared anyway, and the cutscene is really more "oh neat" than anything.

Disgraced

(MGSV spoilers)
Second of all I'm a little disappointed that Liam Gunjumped his way through the Motherbase invasion and killed Mosquito. They never noticed all the guys were wearing MSF uniforms to begin with, but now they have missed out on a scene giving them the context of what the deal was with that mission
I mean, I just sniped the guy from across the map because I felt lazy and didn't want to walk all over the base. I think if it was a little clearer that capturing him would be some kind of importance then it might be an incentive to not do that. Pat wouldn't have cared anyway, and the cutscene is really more "oh neat" than anything.
That's the thing, it would be obvious if they knew PW. His name is Mosquito and he and his goons are wearing MSF uniforms.

Also, Xiraiya, just realized, you ought to tag that post, dude.

aly

Yeah I think that's more of what I meant. I mean I swear I thought Pat mentioning at least watching the cutscenes.

Is Pat spoiled?

"Is it some kinda language disease?" Way too accurate an inquiry for where they're at.

I haven't watched the episode yet, but that is actually what I thought when I got to that point, but then wrote it off(turns out the specific one I thought it was was wrong anyways, but thats besides the point).

Disgraced

I haven't watched the episode yet, but that is actually what I thought when I got to that point, but then wrote it off(turns out the specific one I thought it was was wrong anyways, but thats besides the point).
Eh, maybe I'm just slow then. What was it that made you think that if you don't mind me asking?

Disgraced

Looking at the trailers and considering Pats talent for spitballing (i.e. I WILL KEEP GUESSING AND GUESSING) it seems feasible to me
That makes sense, I only watched the trailers sparingly to keep things fresh,
I mean, I guessed that it was audio specific but language specific seems a bit of a stretch to me, but I guess I can see somebody getting that language is important through a couple of lines in the trailers, Code Talker's name, various subtle implications in-game—still seems a stretch to me, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Eh, maybe I'm just slow then. What was it that made you think that if you don't mind me asking?

They said to try and find the common element to the ones who got infected and looking at their stats the only thing i could see was they all seemed to speak english... turns out i was a bit off on which language. I thought that was a bit off so i kept looking for another answer(i did a lot of starring at people's faces on the base...), but could never find one, so i just did all the mission as quickly as i could to find the cure.

The most annoying part of all of that for me was
apparently the defense team has to have a minimum number of slots. So even though I was putting the right language away it'd keep populating the list with a bunch of E-rank goobers, which annoyed the piss out of me because I wanted things to be neat and tidy.

Disgraced

They said to try and find the common element to the ones who got infected and looking at their stats the only thing i could see was they all seemed to speak english... turns out i was a bit off on which language. I thought that was a bit off so i kept looking for another answer(i did a lot of starring at people's faces on the base...), but could never find one, so i just did all the mission as quickly as i could to find the cure.
They haven't got to that part yet...

Oh. Well in that case, that is pretty suspicious. There is all the talk of
language
going around(including the first line you read in the game), but yeah...

and in all the trailers, and in every bit of promotional material, and
it's the only common stat on the personnel screen that's consistent between everyone

they telegraphed the hell out of it

I am so thirsty for more Undertale eps but they're just not coming out :(

I guess it makes sense for there to be a gap between ep 2 and 3.

Also, you can tell exactly at what moment in episode 2 Matt realized that you have an option to not fight anyone, it's at the end of the dog marriage fight that he mutters that to himself. It's pretty amazing how so many people had that same realization at some point in their playthrough and went back, for me
it was when I got Papyrus's phone number and realized that if I was able to spare him I must've also been able to spare Toriel.

ArjanN

Also, you can tell exactly at what moment in episode 2 Matt realized that you have an option to not fight anyone, it's at the end of the dog marriage fight that he mutters that to himself. It's pretty amazing how so many people had that same realization at some point in their playthrough and went back, for me
it was when I got Papyrus's phone number and realized that if I was able to spare him I must've also been able to spare Toriel.

Honestly I thought that was obvious from the start pretty much.

JC Sera

I love this one, loops for you
Its obvious if you read the tagline on steam
if you play the game completely blind and come from a strong rpg gaming background, and don't really play stuff like animal crossing and other peaceful games...

well its fun to give my drm free version to all my irl friends and watch their
anguish over toriel

Gestahl

It'd be more tolerable if they actually used the plethora of weapons and items available and Liam wasn't such a turd about GMP loadout costs

Moonlight

Banned

I keep refreshing at the usual times and get mildly disappointed every time I see that episode 3 still hasn't arrived. :(

Shitstorm will tide me over, at least.

As Sera said, if you go in blind only knowing that it's an RPG then it's not that obvious. The game confuses you by having levels and exp be a thing + the fact that you can't get exp if you spare enemies makes it seem like something you shouldn't do too often.

It's definitely not hard to figure out but I wouldn't say it's "obvious".

Skrams

It's a fucking minefield of spoiler text in here for Undertale and MGS5 the past few days. I really have to keep my wits about me. Also I was gone a bit so I'm catching up a bit.

Layers of Fear seems neat enough. I also know Cronos is a cooler name, but I think the painting is called Saturn Devouring His Son.

Alien Resurrection seems impressive for a PS1 and I would of liked to see what it would of been like on a PC. Although we should really know that Matt still shouldn't be allowed to control a game like this. The amount of time getting lost or not understanding the controls even though he's already used them is wow.

Agree to disagree?
Still no
The last two Shitstorms have been pretty rough. Matt and Pat are making DSP-level mistakes now. In Alien Resurrection they get the pistol but don't use it on anything in the environment. They don't fire at the electrical boxes where electricity is shooting out to disable it, they don't shoot at the oddly-colored boxes that hold health and ammo, and they don't bother to shoot at a table that clearly has ammo underneath it.

Lucious 2 I stopped about 10 minutes in after they got stuck with the first puzzle in the game.
I just blame Matt for Alien Resurrection considering his usual incompetence with getting lost in games or not trying things out.

Thank you so much for this! Like seriously, thanks.

I'm trying to guess how much of the next podcast will be about Undertale. I want to make the prediction that the outro music will be something from it.... possibly Papyrus' theme. But the game is making some pretty huge waves on the internet, so I'm kind of expecting it to come up during the news section.

I wonder if Pat and Woolie are going to just play the game on the side, and then we'll get a spoiler cast about the game. There are sooooo many secrets in the game!

Disgraced

Well fuck, this Martian Gothic game looks like something I want to play. Wonder how it emulates. But I was just going to start Snatcher...

Hmm... decisions, decisions.

So I'm bummed they won't be doing a Genocide run of Undertale now because
holy goddamn fucking shit that final boss in that run is the sickest shit I've seen in years

MrHoot

So finished my first playthrough of Undertale, pacifist run.

Sometimes, there's a game that comes up during a generation which I find defines it. Welp, this game right there.

Now to continue on, I need to reset after having mercy'd everyone. h0I

A little off topic, but I know the group and the Best Friends are well populated with DMC4 lovers so this seems like as good as any place to ask,
I got the special addition and I have to say, feels rough. Why is the sound so messed up, is their a recommended setting so I can actually hear people talk? Also, feels really slow, should I go straight into turbo mode?

Top Bottom