• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers returning PS3s to stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

1st thing they asked when I returned mine a couple of weeks ago was, 'You couldn't sell it on Ebay?' I was like 'no, I couldn't afford it.' I didn't try to post it on Ebay. I had buyers remorse. He said it so quickly, I wonder if it's becoming common.

PantherLotus said:
I was at Best Buy YESTERDAY (December 22) and right in front of the store, next to the Top 10 CD section, was a stack of PS3s like so many unwanted 24-cases of Coca-Cola. On top of the stack was a giant $599 sign. People would stop, glance, and head back to some other section.

I was astounded. People were walking right past it ---in the middle of the day--- like they didn't even care. Weird. One or two days before Christmas and there are tons of unsought PS3s just sitting there.
where do you live?

cvxfreak

Andonuts said:
man I bet you that guy who paid like $9000 for one on ebay before the official release feels like a jackass now.

Maybe he made it back with half of this month's paycheck. :lol

Fatghost said:
My cousin camped out for two days to get four PS3s on launch to sell (along with with 3 buddies).

He and friends returned all four to the store last week. Hope everyone learned their lesson for the next console launch.

The lesson they learned; sell within the first 24 hours of launch.

Sean*O

Is it a demand plateau, or some miracle "Million PS3's" hitting retail all of a sudden?

December NPD is going to be interesting.

Sean*O

I can't believe that having systems available for purchase is somehow a bad thing.

Idiocy runs rampant.

Not a bad thing at all, unless you were counting on demand far outstripping supply, as some publishers and Sony themselves no doubt were.

jax (old)

Banned
The only thing wrong with this story is how the retards are allowed to return the consoles to the shops. Profit hoarding mainstream non-gamers FTL. They probably lost some money on their ebay listing fees so.... :)

xaosslug

bishoptl said:
I can't believe that having systems available for purchase is somehow a bad thing.

Idiocy runs rampant.

this is the console wars, buddy--serious business, and when there are stacks of a X console just sitting on store shelves well, that console am losering!

See:

Sean*O said:
Not a bad thing at all, unless you were counting on demand far outstripping supply, as some publishers and Sony themselves no doubt were.

4dwye86.gif

Krowley

bishoptl said:

Idiocy runs rampant.

it depends on why they are available...

Are they available because sony has shipped way more than expected?

or

Are they available because demand for ps3 is so low that even small shipments can't sell out?

I don't think there's anything idiotic about the reasoning. If it's number 2, that would be a bad thing. If it's number one, it would be pretty amazing that sony turned their shipment problem around so quickly.

edit// either way, something beyond expectations appears to be happening, unless the anecdotal evidence is all bogus.

bishoptl said:

Having systems available for purchas is a good thing . . . having insufficient demand such that those units are stacking up in stores this early on is not a good sign.

(But this is all very speculative since the reports are anecdotal and even if they are on store shelves, the buyers may have temporarily given up but they'll snap them up when they realize they are available. )

xaosslug

Krowley said:

or

Are they available because demand for ps3 is so low that even small shipments can't sell out?

I don't think there's anything idiotic about the reasoning. If it's number 2, that would be a bad thing. If it's number one, it would be pretty amazing that sony turned their shipment problem around so quickly.

4dwye86.gif

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Krowley said:

or

there's no way to know until next month.

rc213

If only these stores would enforce their 15% Re-Stocking fee for returning non-defective products. Too bad most stores are spineless when it comes to doing that.

Mugen

Banned
{Mike} said:
I did buy one to resell it, but never could. Though I did not stand in line, it was there waiting and saying "resell me". It was a 20 GO by the way, and everybody wants the 60 GO one for obvious reasons.

ahaha, owned.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
speculawyer said:
Having systems available for purchas is a good thing . . . having insufficient demand such that those units are stacking up in stores this early on is not a good sign.

(But this is all very speculative since the reports are anecdotal and even if they are on store shelves, the buyers may have temporarily given up but they'll snap them up when they realize they are available. )

Where the hell is the proof that these systems are stacking up?

Someone please put this f'n thread out of its misery.

Dahbomb

I would just like to remind people that just because you see stacks of PS3 doesn't mean there are actually PS3s in them. They can very well be display boxes.

{Mike} said:
It was a 20 GO by the way, and everybody wants the 60 GO one for obvious reasons.

Why does everyone want the 60Gb one? If you need a wireless connection I guess. I have an Ethernet switch at the TV area so the 20Gb was better for me. Just slip in a new 100Gb (or bigger) 2.5" SATA drive and it blows away the 60Gb units at the same price.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
*googles "stacks of xboxes"*

*uploads picture to his own server*

fail.jpg

I don't know when. I don't know where. I don't know how. But SOMEWHERE...there is a stack of Xbox 360s. Consoles are clearly not moving. Doomed.

This is photographic evidence that just about wraps it up for Microsoft.

Krowley

xaosslug said:

what's this supposed to mean?

Are you sticking a sword into your head because of my comments?

Should i stick a sword into my head?

Are you saying that bishop should have a sword in his head?

I'm not sure i understand the deeper meaning.

edit// or is that just a really fat dagger. It looks like a gladius.

bishoptl said:

While that generally is true, it's not true in all cases. There are scenarios where this is indeed very bad. For example, let's pretend that Sony was only able to manufacture and ship out a total of 100,000 PS3's on launch day and nothing more for the rest of November. And let's say that on November 30th, if I were to walk into a store and I were to see 20 PS3's readily available for purchase, would that be considered a good thing? Of course not.

Treo360

Circuit City in North Bergen New Jersey Store number 3129.

I went there today to return the forced Madden '07 (circuit city bundle deal from a week ago) for Resistance. As I entered the store I was greeted with a big sign that said "The Nintendo Wii is sold out."

I headed over to the Ps2/3 section played a little bit of GH2, saw that there were no PS3 games in stock, however there were about 5-6 60gb Ps3 boxes available. I went and waited in line at the CSR Desk behind 3 people with x360 boxes. I laughed to myself because I thought that they were returning it because of some problem, only to find out that is how you purchase the systems. Behind me were some people with a Pstwo box.

I asked the clerk as I was making my exchange if they had any Ps3's in stock and she answered in the affirmative.

What does it all mean?

Not a damn thing. However my take on this is pretty simple; the cost of admission is pretty damn high for the PS3 the $500 dollar system is in fact a $600 system if you're going to get a game for it.

Here's how much I paid for mine:

PS3 499.99
Resistance= 59.99
tax= 39.82

Total= 599.80

Y2Kevbug11 said:
*googles "stacks of xboxes"*

*uploads picture to his own server*

fail.jpg

I don't know when. I don't know where. I don't know how. But SOMEWHERE...there is a stack of Xbox 360s. Consoles are clearly not moving. Doomed.

This is photographic evidence that just about wraps it up for Microsoft.

Context is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

Vyer

Hey let's throw some more anecdotal evidence around.

CompUSAs in the Houston area had forced bundles; you could only get the PS3 with some games and a couple accessories. You were looking at probably around 7-800 for the bundle.

Obviously that had an impact; in any case, I know the closest one to me opened Friday morning with about 20. I know by about 8 pm that night they had not yet sold out.

On the flip side, I know some of the game store managers in this area; none of them have said anything about any returns on the system.

Yamauchi

Banned
I have to say bravo to Sony. It wasn't looking pretty there for a while, but they've obviously gotten their act together. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony shipped more PS3s than Nintendo did Wiis in December. They've also caught up with demand in Japan, where the 20GB model is selling at retail price online. Looks like we'll start seeing huge shipments from here on out.

regs

quetz67 said:
as long as they still go for $700 on ebay I am sure all PS3 Sony can deliver will sell out

I dont know, on my lunch today, I was on my way out, FYE had signs all over the windows saying they had the ps3 in stock, this was pretty late too, about 8 pm. Also keep in mind, this is two day before christmas

regs

Dragona Akehi said:
NintendoFanboyLand

He may not be, I just posted that I almost say the exact same thing. Although I didn't see a big stack of them, I could see them behind the counter though, if I had to guess I would say they had about 10.

I also live in Erie PA

Argyle

regs said:
I dont know, on my lunch today, I was on my way out, FYE had signs all over the windows saying they had the ps3 in stock, this was pretty late too, about 8 pm. Also keep in mind, this is two day before christmas

FYE was also forcing a bundle (2 games) in my area (Southern California) if you wanted to buy a PS3 from them. I had preordered from them in May and they finally called me today about my preorder...I already have a PS3 but I have a friend who is still looking for one, and they were willing to buy the bundle...

Fortunately, all they had left as far as games were two copies of Tiger Woods and one copy of Untold Legends, so they took pity on me and let me buy the system unbundled.

FYE is really bad about this. I preordered my Wii at about the same time and they didn't bother to tell me about the bundle until I showed up on launch day to pick it up. I heard that in some areas, they were forcing more than a 2 game bundle (+ some accessories too)...which I think is total bait and switch bullshit.

So anyway, back to your story, it seems that there is a good amount of supply out there, and perhaps people in your area are not willing to accept a bundled console, so they're passing them by. Here I think Fry's still has a bunch of bundled consoles in stock (but I haven't been to check personally) but it seems that the other retailers that just sell the system separately seem to sell out the same day they receive their shipment. This is, of course, one of the most populated parts of the country, so as always, things might be different in your neck of the woods. :)

Well, as long as were telling stories about console availability at retail stores, here's my take. I have not scene a Wii or PS3 on a shelf since launch, and I have not seen a DS on shelves for about two weeks now. Stock of PSP at my local Target looked relatively low, as did stock of Xbox 360. Based on what I've seen, I do in fact believe that it is Christmas.

LittleTokyo said:
Well, as long as were telling stories about console availability at retail stores, here's my take. I have not scene a Wii or PS3 on a shelf since launch, and I have not seen a DS on shelves for about two weeks now. Stock of PSP at my local Target looked relatively low, as did stock of Xbox 360. Based on what I've seen, I do in fact believe that it is Christmas.
:lol I will give you props for this one.

Dragmire

I don't care if scalpers are returning their PS3s, I think they are sickening, primitive monsters
and the act of removing someone's scalp should disqualify them from any return policy.

xaosslug

Vrolokus said:
I don't think this is nearly as clever or funny as you think it is - not enough to use it twice in a row, anyway.

4dwye86.gif

oh, come on now, you have to admit that made you chuckle. :p

Javaman

Even if they took the PS3 back to the store for a full refund, some of the scalpers are out E-bay listing money. The smarter ones (who kept it from selling below retail) who used a reserve have to eat the non-sale fees.

dak1dsk1

Banned
I have a confession; I'm a scalper. I feel terrible about it today, mostly coz I couldn't get rid of the loot. I spend a small fortune buying spots in lines. In order to recoup the money spent on linespots, I even degraded to robbing a kid of his brand new ps3... When I tried to sell the stolen unit on ebay, the buyer asked for receipts and then I was busted. Ebay took down all my ps3 auctions shortly afterwards. So far I still got all 4 units, and frankly I don't know what to do. I have a drug habit, so I need to get these consoles moving soon... I don't even like videogames. What a horrible x-mas. Sigh. What's worse is that I think I may have dislocated a bone in my fist from when I robbed and punched that nerd kid!

Scalping, just don't do it! Listen to my advice...

andthebeatgoeson

rc213 said:
If only these stores would enforce their 15% Re-Stocking fee for returning non-defective products. Too bad most stores are spineless when it comes to doing that.
If it's unopened, why? That's charging people for just buying it.

qirex

Sean*O said:
Why would sony and especially publishers want a higher demand than the supply? EA had to revise their financials down last year because of the 360 shortage.

cicero

dak1dsk1 said:
I have a confession; I'm a scalper. I feel terrible about it today, mostly coz I couldn't get rid of the loot. I spend a small fortune buying spots in lines. In order to recoup the money spent on linespots, I even degraded to robbing a kid of his brand new ps3... When I tried to sell the stolen unit on ebay, the buyer asked for receipts and then I was busted. Ebay took down all my ps3 auctions shortly afterwards. So far I still got all 4 units, and frankly I don't know what to do. I have a drug habit, so I need to get these consoles moving soon... I don't even like videogames. What a horrible x-mas. Sigh. What's worse is that I think I may have dislocated a bone in my fist from when I robbed and punched that nerd kid!

Scalping, just don't do it! Listen to my advice...
You deserve a permaban and a savage beating. Hopefully that drug habit will eventually help even out the score!

I just got back from Toys R Us in Redwood City, California. The had a sign out saying that they were sold out of: Wii, DS, PSP, xbox 360 premium, and PS2. When I got up to the register, I asked if I could get a PS3 as a joke . . . he said "Yeah, sure . . . which model?"

WTF? Sold out of everything except the PS3! Ouch. (Well, at least Sony sold some PS2s & PSPs.) Yeah, yeah, just anectdotal . . . . . but. . . .

Anyway, if you want a PS3 and you are in Northern California, you get get one there.

I picked up pyschnauts for $5.63 to play on the xbox 360. I felt kinda guilty paying so little for such a good game.

LJ11

speculawyer said:
I picked up pyschnauts for $5.63 to play on the xbox 360. I felt kinda guilty paying so little for such a good game.

So why didn't you buy it at launch?

I went looking for a PS3 in NYC yesterday/today, because of this post. All sold out. I wish I lived in N.California right now.

Edit: I'll bet a two week ban that Sony cuts the price by $100 (on both versions) before June. Whose willing to take the other side of this bet?

Tarazet

LJ11 said:
So why didn't you buy it at launch?

I went looking for a PS3 in NYC today. All sold out. I wish I lived in N.California right now.

Um, I live in northern California and I have yet to see a system for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom