• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scary parts in games that aren't meant to be scary

QBkIHjj.png
Totally!

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: SHA
any boss in a game ! I fucking hate bosses man!
they look cool , buttfuck do I hate them!
they kind of scare the shit out of me , just look at Hollow knight or Bloodborne!

Those fucking frogs in Dark Souls when you have been cursed, walked miles to fix it and are then back there again in the Depths. ‘SHIT, SHIT, SHIT!’ - while you try and get out of their clouds.

There’s a boss in Demons Souls too who can de-level you with a certain attack - horrific after grinding to be able to take him on.

Last edited:
As someone has mentioned before, pretty much the N64. I don't know whether it was due to fog being used so much that it made everything look like Silent Hill but games like Majora's Mask were just really disturbing. I actually found it more unsettling than Resident Evil. It was like a surreal dream which is best way to describe a N64 game

FewRope

Shadow of the Colossus where you fight the colossus that is underwater. You're just floating in this giant lake and this massive colossus is swimming underneath you.

SC12_4.jpg
This and the music when you are swimming. It's legit terrifying

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Does Abyssal Woods in Elden Ring count? From Software games often go for a horror vibe but I feel Elden Ring throughout wasn't frightening at all. Some mildly spooky bits but by and large, nothing scary...except for the Abyssal Woods.

Trilobit

That game had so many creepy moments, that I wasn't sure were meant to be creepy.

---

In Arkham Knight you grapple gun yourself up to the roof hundreds of times and then suddenly this asshole appears and screams at you. I nearly had a heart attack.
maxresdefault.jpg

And then later on the friggin' Joker does the same thing. I angrily shook my fist at the developers.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

sigmaZ

That game had so many creepy moments, that I wasn't sure were meant to be creepy.

---

In Arkham Knight you grapple gun yourself up to the roof hundreds of times and then suddenly this asshole appears and screams at you. I nearly had a heart attack.
maxresdefault.jpg

And then later on the friggin' Joker does the same thing. I angrily shook my fist at the developers.
maxresdefault.jpg
The phone ringing thing in Arkham City was pretty terrifying as well.

Codes 208

Halo with the flood in general

They have to be one of my favorite enemy classes just for how shocking their first appearance was, followed by their potential and goal of wiping out the galaxy

Corian33

Half of Shadows of the Empire on N64. Most especially the fight with IG-88 in the junkyard. Absolutely terrifying to me as a kid.

Comandr

latest

Ecco the Dolphin on Dreamcast. I mean graphics were getting really good for the time, and there was no fucking way I was going near that Great White Shark. It looked so real back then.
I'm a big boy grown man and this is still one of the hardest segments in the game for me to deal with.

I am going to be real with everyone. I lose more and more faith in humanity and the arts when I see YouTube videos trump up every bullshit cutesy n64-esque stuff and claim its "Oh My God, traumatizing and uncanny!".

Anyone who legitimately feels this way has lived a sheltered life if it a fucking mascot character in an obtusely banal game about collecting stars, coin, lady bugs, horseshoes, or flully cloudy inspires dread. Fuck....

Last edited:

Caffeine

the flood in halo 1 first appearance on harder difficulty. typically in horror games you are weak and resources sparse. up to this point you have been a super soldier with all the weapons and even still they captured a level of desperation against and overwhelming force and navigating a map where u can easily get disoriented on where to go.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Forest Temple (the whole dungeon)and the 1.00 Fire Temple theme in Ocarina of Time.

The crashed Shinra vessel in OG Final Fantasy VII.

Everything in and involving anything below the first floor of Balamb Garden in Final Fantasy VIII.

Last visit to The Citadel in Mass Effect 3.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The whole terminator fight in the bathroom, I was seriously scared for Natsuno.
ufnDdDH.gif

Zephir

Megaman legends 2 underwater level... For me
And I'll add the T-Rex Reaverbot in the desert ruins smashing through the windows while you're watching it

Oh, and the cloaked bots that turns into frenzy mummies or whatever that charge at you...lovely

Oh and the single, solitary robot in the first game that turns invisible...screw him

FR1908

Boss Bass - this gave me nightmares back when the game was released.
super-mario-bros-3.-nes-boss-bass-mario-02.png

Some issues with Assassin's Creed Unity. Like I went to Body Worlds while the sculptures/corpses were still alive;

ubisoft-addresses-every-known-assassins-creed-unity-glitch-and-workaround-1416014814496.jpg

Top Bottom