• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists discover that Giraffes are actually four distinct species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the differences were as large or larger than the differences between brown bears and polar bears

Aren't polar bears just brown bears with white fur?

Edit: nvm, polar bears are just black bears with white fur

KKRT00

18j0vaww75u8kpng.png

massoluk

Banned
Well, this retroactively made all the hunters that killed giraffes recently accomplices in killing endangered species?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Do you think a giraffe could beat my ass using only its huge neck? I bet I could fuck up a giraffe one on one, bro. Fuck giraffes.

a giraffe's kick is powerful enough to decapitate an african lion.

Their necks are stronger.

Binabik15

a giraffe's kick is powerful enough to decapitate an african lion.

Their necks are stronger.

Sorry, but: Source?

Kill, yes, but to get a human head off with blunt trauma is quite the feat and large cats have monstrous necks and a robust cervical spines to carry massive skulls and withstand the abuse of holding and killing heavier prey.

PS: I really should take that "Medical English" course already, geez.

Friggz

Sorry, but: Source?

Kill, yes, but to get a human head off with blunt trauma is quite the feat and large cats have monstrous necks and a robust cervical spines to carry massive skulls and withstand the abuse of holding and killing heavier prey.

PS: I really should take that "Medical English" course already, geez.

maybe internal decapitation. where the spine is severed in the neck.

kicking the head clean off would be something else though. lol

Diabelli

It's almost like saying the same word over and over again when you stare at a picture of a giraffe for a while; they really are fucking weird looking. Same goes for most animals *looks at hands* Oh, God, what am I?!

Pretty sure there is a video online of a lion getting kicked by a giraffe and dies. It's pretty crazy how strong there legs are.

Same with horses, people have gotten kicked by horses and died moments later. Heard of one story where a guy got kicked by a horse in the chest, falls down and gets up a minute or so later, then falls down again dead

"There are a few visible differences between the species, such as the jagged lines and dark spots on the Masai giraffe and the five hornlike structures on the northern giraffe, but for the most part they look pretty similar. The researchers did not find any examples of hybridization, or cross-mating between the groups in the wild."

I just hope they don't break each other's neck doing that. It'd be horrifying.

If they were gaffers, they would be making a thread: I just broke my neck do I need to go to the doc, halp please!

On topic...

It's indeed fascinating, specially when they say from a genetic point of view some of them are truly different.

Error 404

Neo Member
Nature is so amazing and beautiful. Too bad there are some out there ensuring that it all goes to hell. Only 90,000 left. :(

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Here's something else for you. Pronghorn often called the American antelope, is not an antelope. They along with Okapi and the Giraffe are members of the Giraffoidea.

As for the 4 different species of Giraffe, here's what you need to know about the definition of the word species....it is indeed really fuzzy because species themselves are fuzzy. Mostly it just refers to a discrete breeding population and if the genetic make up of these giraffes are significantly different from each other, then it indicates they don't really cross breed. You can have two different species be nigh genetically identical and look exactly the same, but if they don't regularly breed with each other, they are classified as different species.

So all those girls who tell me "not if you were the last man on earth" are technically from a different species? Feel much better about myself now.

Giraffes battle aura is strong but it does not shimmer, indicating it's presence as ordinary rank. My battle aura shimmers diamond meaning my physical size has lost linear binding with my attribute base. My attributes are beyond immense and my total attribute pool is made up of many pools in different relative phase with each other. I can phase shift these pools in real-time, mid-battle, to adjust my battle topology to favor me in ANY situation, bro.

I'm going to recommend you don't go outside -- at all.

So how can we use this information to cure cancer. like which of the species should I eat or not eat to gain or avoid cancer. comeon science.

just so it would be clear I'm joking about stuff like this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom