• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists find the king of the feathered dinosaurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
plutohvq7y.jpg

Just take a good look at your so called "planet", HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It was in the pool!!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kinda surprised at people being like "don't ruin my childhood!". If anything, this rekindles my childhood love of dinosaurs. This shit is fascinating.

Brontosaurus has been an invalid name for over a century.

It was changed around the 60s or 70s. It's not been that long.

I'm not sure if there was never an official ICZN ruling on the matter, but Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus were synonymized by Riggs way back in 1903, so yeah, the former has been the proper name for over a century if that's what Mamba was referencing.

Berman and McIntosh first published on the likely partial skull of Apatosaurus in the Carnegie Museum collections in the late 1970s and the Wrongheaded Brontosaurus Saga came into public consciousness shortly after. Many people mistakenly assume this was the reason for renaming Brontosaurus, but it was well after the fact.

Krowley

The most important implication of the whole "dinosaurs are birds" thing to me is the fact that all birds are basically dinosaurs. That means I have eaten dinosaur, and that pleases me quite a bit.

As for the intimidation factor, I don't think feathers would make them any less intimidating if they were chasing you.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Couldn't this one species be an aberration? This seems like saying because one species of frog gives birth through its mouth, we should think of all frogs as doing that.

it could be, in the sense that dinosaurs could all be an elaborate communist plot.

I'm not sure if there was never an official ICZN ruling on the matter, but Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus were synonymized by Riggs way back in 1903, so yeah, the former has been the proper name for over a century if that's what Mamba was referencing.

Berman and McIntosh first published on the likely partial skull of Apatosaurus in the Carnegie Museum collections in the late 1970s and the Wrongheaded Brontosaurus Saga came into public consciousness shortly after. Many people mistakenly assume this was the reason for renaming Brontosaurus, but it was well after the fact.

I knew I wasn't completely crazy.

I still think they look quite terrifying. The artist's render of the T-Rex in the OP makes it look almost mammalian.

That's not a Tyrannosaurus in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom