• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

All the exes were pretty damn memorable and awesome more than some villains I've seen in recent movies.

Also I'm listening to Threshold and fuck that's an awesome song, i'm making it my Ringtone.

Firestorm

Feep said:
This very simply just wasn't your movie. The story is about the relationship, period, and it speaks very powerfully to that end. It was not about the fights, or the video games references, or any of that. The maturation of young adults as they deal with emotional baggage, past lovers, age differences, and so on.
I think you're giving us the story of the comics, not the movie.

I really think the best thing they could have done would have been not using half the exes so it didn't just feel like they were rushing from one battle with an ex to another. I liked the interactions of the supporting cast in the comics and we didn't get as much of that as I would have liked in the movie.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
I think you're giving us the story of the comics, not the movie.

I really think the best thing they could have done would have been not using half the exes so it didn't just feel like they were rushing from one battle with an ex to another. I liked the interactions of the supporting cast in the comics and we didn't get as much of that as I would have liked in the movie.
I've been saying that for a while.
Seven was just way too many exes for this film. There's only so much stuff you can fit in under two hours. Either some of the battles had to be sacrificed, or the relationships and character development. Edgar Wright opted for the latter.

Coeliacus

mac said:
Looking back maybe it was just the weaker exes. In a superhero or fighting movie you need your villains to be memorable. Gideon is slimy and arrogant but what qualities define the others? Why couldn't the other villains be made as bombastic and eye-popping like seemingly everything else in the movie?
The exes are weird bad guys. They are more obstacles that Scott most overcome in the course of his relationship rather than characters that actual characters with any values or goals to link them back to him (apart from Gideon). I agree that the amount affect the pacing though. This film would've worked much better as at least a two parter.

Damn you guys have got me hooked on the Envy song.

saw this the day it came out :D , I loved it. having read the books there were no parts that i was upset about being removed or altered. Any addition they made was awesome and helps make the movie a unique experience from the books. The ending felt rushed though maybe they should've split it into two movies or something.

BocoDragon said:
Not really.. It was just a chiptune version if the Universal theme. Based on how you reacted to the film I'd say you didn't miss anything.

Well... it's A Link to the Past music. Based on how many SNES soundtracks I've listened to off the net over the last 15 years, it's kind of amusing to me to see someone ask where to find that music... but I'll PM you.
I have almost every single OST of Zelda ever released. This one sounded like a hymn (with vocals).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Verboten said:
I have almost every single OST of Zelda ever released. This one sounded like a hymn (with vocals).
Yeah someone point that out above... I didn't clue in. :p I suppose it really is missing from any album.

nib95

Banned
Just watched this earlier. Thought it was brilliant, bold, funny and creative. Some elements were veering a tad to the weird side, and the last act (or 3 ex's) slowed the pace somewhat, but it was otherwise thoroughly entertaining. Loved the cast, the plot, the humour, the special effects etc. Was surprised at how well they pulled the martial arts off, how cool the powers were, the diversity in the battles and the quality of the music on offer.

As long as the viewers aren't narrow minded and open to new things, I'd thoroughly recommend it. Solid 7-8/10.

Watched it for the second time, and still love it, mostly because of Edgar Wright, but I recently realized that the scene with Ann totally sucks. The use of the word "ass" over and over again is totally false, like a 15 year old Christian girl's idea of cursing, and Ann's "YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET F'ED IN THE B" made me embarrassed to be over 20 and even in the theater. That's a line only a high schooler could think is funny.

Edit - Also, the dance sequence of the first ex is stupid and after the third ex there's a sense of "oh shit, all the fun is over and now they're gonna have to figure out a way to fight 4 more exes in like half an hour."

In general, kinda made me wish Edgar Wright could flex his directing muscle with an actual budget in his next Pegg/Frost comedy. This movie's a little bit too shallow for his prowess.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BocoDragon said:
Yeah someone point that out above... I didn't clue in. :p I suppose it really is missing from any album.
Wright did say there was enough left-over material to fill out a third soundtrack. That track's would be part of said material.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Aristotlekh said:
Watched it for the second time, and still love it, mostly because of Edgar Wright, but I recently realized that the scene with Ann totally sucks. The use of the word "ass" over and over again is totally false, like a 15 year old Christian girl's idea of cursing, and Ann's "YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET F'ED IN THE B" made me embarrassed to be over 20 and even in the theater. That's a line only a high schooler could think is funny.
I thought it was exactly the kind of thing one of those "proud to be a bitch" fat girls in high school would say.

Firestorm

Aristotlekh said:
"YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET F'ED IN THE B" made me embarrassed to be over 20 and even in the theater. That's a line only a high schooler could think is funny
That was such a terrible pun I actually laughed. Sooooo bad. It was "Your BF is about to get F'd in the B". Not you're. Otherwise the pun doesn't work!

Alucard

Banned
Saw it tonight and loved it. It's my favourite movie of the summer, beating out Inception. I loved how much life, energy, action, and wit the film had.

Scott is fighting himself throughout the movie, and there is growth as he goes on. (getting over Envy, earning self respect)

It's not an extremely deep masterpiece, but it's definitely something that should keep anyone's attention. Loved it to bits.

DeathNote said:
So the movie covered all the volumes? It wouldn't need a sequel anyway?

It covers the entire Scott Pilgrim storyline, but it only adapts the first 2.5 (out of 6) volumes. The movie becomes its own thing about halfway through after Scott beats the third ex, though in the end he beats all 7 exes and ends up with Ramona in both the books and the movie.

black_13

Banned
wow finally watched it today and it was fucking awesome!
And didn't know the movie was so canadian!

Such a shame about its performance at the box office! Honestly I don't see why any gamer wouldn't enjoy watching this.

big ander

narcosis219 said:
It covers the entire Scott Pilgrim storyline, but it only adapts the first 2.5 (out of 6) volumes. The movie becomes its own thing about halfway through after Scott beats the third ex, though in the end he BOOK SPOILERS
Might want to fix that...

Mr. Sam

Anybody else in the UK finding it almost impossible to find somewhere that's showing this? Marmaduke seems to have had a wider release.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
scott_pilgrim_vs_the_world29.jpg

This dude right here. It was not a fucking good idea to have this fucker in the trailers or posters, or any of the marketing.

Why?

Look at this dude. He's wearing eyeliner, that hipster neck thing that he does, and that hipster hair cut. Did they really expect that this would somehow turn people into watching the film?
This character right there, is why people say SP is a hipster film, and why they perceived it to be as such. Simply because of this bullshit character showing up in the trailers. I literally cringe, just seeing this character in the trailers. Cringed myself half to death in the cinema, when he first showed up and did that dance.

It's a goddam shame.

Veidt said:
scott_pilgrim_vs_the_world29.jpg

This dude right here. It was not a fucking good idea to have this fucker in the trailers or posters, or any of the marketing.

Why?

Look at this dude. He's wearing eyeliner, that hipster neck thing that he does, and that hipster hair cut. Did they really expect that this would somehow turn people into watching the film?
This character right there, is why people say SP is a hipster film, and why they perceived it to be as such. Simply because of this bullshit character showing up in the trailers. I literally cringe, just seeing this character in the trailers. Cringed myself half to death in theaters when he first showed up and did that dance.

It's a goddam shame.

Especially since he exists in the film to be laughed at and punched in the face. :(

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
A friend and I marathoned Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz a few nights ago. What a brilliant fucking director. He marks his presence in every film with his style. That said, Hot Fuzz is still my favorite Edgar Wright movie.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Last night I was talking to a friend of mine and his Gf. They both loved this movie they were telling me. Then after we talked about the water temple for a good 15 minutes.

Jintor

Veidt said:
Why?

This character right there, is why people say SP is a hipster film, and why they perceived it to be as such. Simply because of this bullshit character showing up in the trailers. I literally cringe, just seeing this character in the trailers. Cringed myself half to death in theaters when he first showed up and did that dance.

It's a goddam shame.

But - but that was the entire goddamn point of the character!

WTF

Veidt

Ignatz Mouse said:
Especially since he exists in the film to be laughed at and punched in the face. :(

Exactly. This is the sort of thing that needs more context to it. All it does now, is make the film look hipster.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
It would have been cool if the movie advertising was a fake movie trailer of a Lucas Lee film and at the end of the trailer Lucas Lee comes out of his movie character looks at the screen and says "I'm coming for you Scott Pilgrim" and the ad ends with the Scott Pilgrim vs. the world logo.

Veidt

G-Fex said:
Patel was a great ex and great first boss. :lol You're a drag Veidt.
lol

The best part of the whole Patel ordeal, was witnessing Scott beat the shit out of him.

G-Fex

butter_stick said:
Patel is fucking awesome.

The hipster comments are because of Cera and Ramona. Not Patel.

Exactly...I think? Patel's just using the latest in pirate apparel, only thing hipster about him was the demon chicks and maybe his hair.

neojubei said:
It would have been cool if the movie advertising was a fake movie trailer of a Lucas Lee film and at the end of the trailer Lucas Lee comes out of his movie character looks at the screen and says "I'm coming for you Scott Pilgrim" and the ad ends with the Scott Pilgrim vs. the world logo.
That would have been FUCKING AWESOME OH MY GOD

neojubei said:
It probably would have made a lot more money that way :(

Veidt

neojubei said:
This.Is awesome.

Nelo Ice

Banned
G-Fex said:
That would've been great of all commercials were based solely on introducing the Exes.

damnit! this along with the fake lucas lee trailer idea definetely would've gotten people to see the film

edgefusion

Mr. Sam said:
Anybody else in the UK finding it almost impossible to find somewhere that's showing this? Marmaduke seems to have had a wider release.

My local cinema is playing it 4 times a day every day this week.

Alucard

Banned
It's been a day, but I'm already getting the craving to see this movie again. Think I'll check it out on Tuesday for cheapie night.

G-Fex said:
That would've been great of all commercials were based solely on introducing the Exes.
After reading his post I spent all day thinking about this idea. My God that would have been SUCH a good marketing campaign.

Patel could have been a faux fashion commercial about pirates being in this season. Like a fake GAP ad or something, with him and some hipster [demon] chicks posing and a voice-over talking about their looks, and then at the end, "And I'm coming for YOU, SCOTT PILGRIM!"

Lucas Lee, the fake movie trailer, with him pausing in the middle of an action scene and turning towards the viewer, saying the same thing.

Todd could be an pro-vegan ad, or an ad for soy milk, and at the end he's listing the benefits of being vegan and he could say, "Plus, awesome powers to kick your face in, Scott Pilgrim."

Roxie's could have been set up like an ad for a school, but it's a ninja school, and at the end she turns towards the camera, "You won't even know what hit you, SCOTT PILGRIM!"

The Twins would obviously be a fax CD commercial, with them talking about the Battle of the Bands contest coming up, "See you there, SCOTT PILGRIM!"

Gideon's would just be a super sexy ad for the Chaos Theater opening soon with a female announcer's voice, and the end of the ad would just be "See you opening night, Scott Pilgrim."

Fuck, that would have driven up INSANE word of mouth for this movie. People would be like "Who is Scott Pilgrim? Why are these people after him?" What did he do? Uuuughhhh so depressing!!

These would be things shot specifically for the commercials, not commercials using footage from the movie. Like the Umbrella Corp ads for Resident Evil or the Oceanic Airlines ads for LOST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom