• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Found out that my local theater only has one showing left. Guess it will be out of theaters next week. Hopefully I can see it one last time.

Rahk

Rahk said:
Yes, and it is pretty great.

OST and Original Score

Also, a deluxe version of the OST is apparently being released on September 10 according to: http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=145&csid2=844&fid1=48249 So you might want to wait for that.

There's also a bunch of songs that didn't make the cut, so there might be another volume down the road.
That's actually the deluxe version that came out August 10th. Like, the deluxe version on iTunes.

Jintor

Firestorm said:
The terribad trailers are why the film bombed imo.

People hating the idea of watching good movies is why the film bombed imo

No, wait, Inception did awesome. Hmmm. Guess I'll go back to the blame anti-hipster well.

Rahk

The trailer didn't make me want to see the movie at all when I saw it months ago, so I think there's some truth to that.

nib95 said:
I loved the music in this film, inc this track. Is there an OST?
The track is in the OST, but I like the movie version more. I know Beck wrote the song and everything, but Webber's voice sounds better, imo. Same with Black Sheep.

e: Just heard both versions and I'm not sure anymore. Is it Webber that sings the song in the movie? I could swear it was different the last time I heard it.

MNC

brotkasten said:
The track is in the OST, but I like the movie version (much) more. I know Beck wrote the song and everything, but Webber's voice sounds better, imo. Same with Black Sheep.
I think both versions are on the OST. Beck's are the extra versions, so you get the Webber versions by default on the OST.

derFeef

brotkasten said:
The track is in the OST, but I like the movie version (much) more. I know Beck wrote the song and everything, but Webber's voice sounds better, imo. Same with Black Sheep.
I do not think they sing for themselves, it looks a bit off at times. Not 100% sure though as I only know the youtube vids.

MNC said:
I think both versions are on the OST. Beck's are the extra versions, so you get the Webber versions by default on the OST.

You're right, both versions are on the OST. I still like Webber's version more.

derFeef said:
I do not think they sing for themselves, it looks a bit off at times. Not 100% sure though as I only know the youtube vids.

Here's Webber's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhGu2CDqQqo
And the "original" from Beck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GQ4s4Qc3O8

MNC

All the songs have more "power" to them when sung by Webber :lol Love them alot more. But then again Beck never did perform the songs for the vocals. Don't think We Are Sex Bob-Omb has a Beck version, also.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Fucking loved it. I'll admit that I haven't read this entire thread (media blackout), but some of the criticisms seem completely forced and mostly missing the point.

I did NOT read the books, and it seems like a majority of the criticism is coming from that audience. That itself is kinda funny, since the film seems to be poking a very large stick in the eye of the pretentious sect of our very nerdy demographic.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I knew nothing about Scott Pilgrim before seeing the film, and absolutely loved it.

My favourite movie of the year so far. It's obviously very hard to compare it to Inception, but it's so creative, original and with so many memorable lines and characters that it just pips it for me. It sort of reminded me of a Bill & Ted for this generation.

Can't wait for the Blu-ray.

I saw this movie again on Saturday.
I finished Volume 6 of the graphic novel series this morning.
I can't believe there is nothing left of this universe for me to explore. :(

This stuff made me audit my own life, my own relationships with friends and my own history of relationships with girls. Everyone's got an Envy. Everyone's got a Ramona and a Knives. Everyone's got a Kim. Goddamn, I love this movie. I love this comic. I love Scott Pilgrim.

<3

:(

captmcblack said:

This stuff made me audit my own life, my own relationships with friends and my own history of relationships with girls. Everyone's got an Envy. Everyone's got a Ramona and a Knives. Everyone's got a Kim. Goddamn, I love this movie. I love this comic. I love Scott Pilgrim.

<3

The game?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
captmcblack said:

<3

Wait for "Kim Pine vs the World" to be released?

;)

Just found out yesterday that this movie won't be reaching Philippine shores in November as originally planned. Local distributor thought it wasn't worth bringing the movie over since it only made 10 million in the US during it's first weekend.

Seriously GAF, 2010 has been the worst year of my life. I've had nagging health troubles, my parents want to split up and now NO SCOTT PILGRIM IN THEATERS.

FUCK. MY LIFE HAS NO MEANING NOW.

Hydrogen Bluebird said:
Just found out yesterday that this movie won't be reaching Philippine shores in November as originally planned. Local distributor thought it wasn't worth bringing the movie over since it only made 10 million in the US during it's first weekend.

Seriously GAF, 2010 has been the worst year of my life. I've had nagging health troubles, my parents want to split up and now NO SCOTT PILGRIM IN THEATERS.

XQwyn.jpg

Alucard

Banned
scott-pilgrim-cera-wright.jpg

I'm still thinking about this movie two days later. I'm REALLY getting an itch to watch it again. Man oh man, it was just sooooo good. This is a film that has the re-watchability factor of films like The Princess Bride and The Matrix for me. There are just so many wonderful little touches that make it a total treat.

Scott Pilgrim is a perfect piece of pop art.

johnsmith

remember me
Alucard said:
scott-pilgrim-cera-wright.jpg

I'm still thinking about this movie two days later. I'm REALLY getting an itch to watch it again. Man oh man, it was just sooooo good. This is a film that has the re-watchability factor of films like The Princess Bride and The Matrix for me. There are just so many wonderful little touches that make it a total treat.

Scott Pilgrim is a perfect piece of pop art.

Do it. It's just as enjoyable the 2nd time.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Just watched the film having seen nothing of the comic or trailers or any media coverage whatsoever. Literally went in blank.

7/10. It was enjoyable, very well made film, humour was ok and the girls were all very adorable. What I didn't quite buy into was Scott Pilgrim himself.

I'm not anti-Cera or anything, I quite like that style of awkward humour or whatever it is he does, but I spent most of the film being jealous of this guy who seems like a loser yet gets awesome girls and has awesome powers and seems to come out on top everytime without really doing anything special. It wasn't like the power of his love got him through, or his humour, and he never really did anything that could be classed as outsmarting someone. It was always a case of 'oh shit stakes have been raised, he's getting his ass kicked, but he's fine and yeh he wins'. and while nice to watch, I didnt take anything away from any of it. Even if you try to get deep and see them as metaphors, there was nothing there. It was just slapstick.

I admit I developed a mad crush on Knives Chau/Ellen Wong the moment I saw her and I spent most of the film hating SP and the fact he ditched her for someone else just made me dislike him even more. I was glad he didnt get her in the end cos it just felt like he hadn't done enough to prove he deserved her during the movie. So instead of a hero who I root for, this film had a hero I kinda disliked - kinda puts a damper on proceedings.

at the end of the day the stars were Ramona and Knives for me and the exes were all charismatic if some a little short lived. Envy also seemed like a cool character who probably could've been fleshed out more.

kaizoku said:
Just watched the film having seen nothing of the comic or trailers or any media coverage whatsoever. Literally went in blank.

7/10. It was enjoyable, very well made film, humour was ok and the girls were all very adorable. What I didn't quite buy into was Scott Pilgrim himself.

I'm not anti-Cera or anything, I quite like that style of awkward humour or whatever it is he does, but I spent most of the film being jealous of this guy who seems like a loser yet gets awesome girls and has awesome powers and seems to come out on top everytime without really doing anything special. It wasn't like the power of his love got him through, or his humour, and he never really did anything that could be classed as outsmarting someone. It was always a case of 'oh shit stakes have been raised, he's getting his ass kicked, but he's fine and yeh he wins'. and while nice to watch, I didnt take anything away from any of it. Even if you try to get deep and see them as metaphors, there was nothing there. It was just slapstick.

I admit I developed a mad crush on Knives Chau/Ellen Wong the moment I saw her and I spent most of the film hating SP and the fact he ditched her for someone else just made me dislike him even more. I was glad he didnt get her in the end cos it just felt like he hadn't done enough to prove he deserved her during the movie. So instead of a hero who I root for, this film had a hero I kinda disliked - kinda puts a damper on proceedings.

at the end of the day the stars were Ramona and Knives for me and the exes were all charismatic if some a little short lived. Envy also seemed like a cool character who probably could've been fleshed out more.

It's all in his head. He's the narrator of his own life.
;)

Why does Beck drug their music so anything influenced by it is addictive as hell?

SPGaf, I come to you with a request. A request for a screencap. I just want a pic with Sex Bob-omb's first practice space, ideally with the couch facing the camera. I need it as a reference for a bday gift I am drawing. I have a friend with striking similarities to Knives. Cheers if you should happen to find one. Google has failed me.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
SketchTheArtist said:
It's all in his head. He's the narrator of his own life.
;)

hmm not sure that fits with how the movie went. Unlike Inception, I dont think this movie can be analyzed and dissected like that. and I don't think its supposed to.

I think its just meant to be a cool 'kick ass' film with sexy chicks, humour and a 'nerdy guy comes good and gets the girl' vibe.

GameGamer

Hydrogen Bluebird said:

You can do it!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
kaizoku said:

Sounds like you'll like the alternate ending quite a bit. ;P

MNC

When people say 'it's in his head' it sounds like the whole events of the movie were a dream of some sorts, or a retelling of events. I think better wording would be that he's biased about his own life story.

Which makes me think of the next thing.. The fact he's biased, does that mean he actually just 'had a few arguments' with former exes, meaning it's all nerdy and videogame like because HE'S the videogame nerd!?!? Oh man. This would suck actually. It needs to be an alternate universe! It's videogaming because it's normal over there! Alternate Toronto! AAA! I'm having epifanies maaaaan.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
MNC said:
When people say 'it's in his head' it sounds like the whole events of the movie were a dream of some sorts, or a retelling of events. I think better wording would be that he's biased about his own life story.

Which makes me think of the next thing.. The fact he's biased, does that mean he actually just 'had a few arguments' with former exes, meaning it's all nerdy and videogame like because HE'S the videogame nerd!?!? Oh man. This would suck actually. It needs to be an alternate universe! It's videogaming because it's normal over there! Alternate Toronto! AAA! I'm having epifanies maaaaan.
Yeah, that's one of the theories. Or hell,
Gideon was in his head the whole time, maybe he was messing with his perceptions the same way he changed Scott's memory about the boy Kim was dating in high-school

kaizoku said:

I think that's kinda the point of Scott Pilgrim. Do you remember Kim's line? "If your life had a face, I'd punch it". Yeah ...

XiaNaphryz

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, that's one of the theories. Or hell,
Gideon was in his head the whole time, maybe he was messing with his perceptions the same way he changed Scott's memory about the boy Kim was dating in high-school
None of this necessarily applies to the movie though, since it's not ever touched upon like in the books.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
XiaNaphryz said:
None of this necessarily applies to the movie though, since it's not ever touched upon like in the books.
Yeah, there is a small part of me that wishes it was like a big budget miniseries or something, just so that they could capture more of the subplots and interesting stuff from the comics.

kaizoku said:
hmm not sure that fits with how the movie went. Unlike Inception, I dont think this movie can be analyzed and dissected like that. and I don't think its supposed to.

I think its just meant to be a cool 'kick ass' film with sexy chicks, humour and a 'nerdy guy comes good and gets the girl' vibe.
It can be, has been, and was intended to be discussed like that. The director said so himself that
the events of the movie, like the events of the book, are from Scott's point of view. He is a very unreliable narrator from the moment you first see "Scott Pilgrim, Rating: Awesome." It might not neccisarilly be that it's like he's sitting you down and telling you the story after it happened, it's more like you are there with him, while it is happening, but you are seeing the world as he sees and remember is, with this huge bias towards himself being the hero.

sn00zer

Repeating what I posted earlier:

It is a literal videogame movie:

Ramona is Princess Peach (NES)...No real reason to be with her, but deep down there is the willingness to go to hell and back to be with her

Exes are literally boss battles, they are not metaphorical fights, they are what you see on screen, points and everything

Everyone can fight regardless of profession... this is not seen as unusual in videogames

Reloading from a Checkpoint...holy shit

I like thinking of the movie as not being metaphorical in any way. The characters are living in this world, the smacks the blams are are physically there. People are really bursting into coins.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I agree that in the universe of the story, all the crazy stuff really is happening.

But the concept behind the story is as if a 20-something kid's videogame/manga fantasies were true and were integrated into his everyday world.

Any word on how it's performing over here, the UK? Saw it (and Expendables) on Sunday. Should've watched Pilgrim last as Expendables didn't compare too favourably :lol

XiaNaphryz said:

Actually, O'maley had five facts for each of the characters that he bestowed upon every actor for their roles.

Scott's number one is that
like it was said above, with better wording, it's a biased view on his life. This is the re-telling of his life but through his game-addicted, simple-minded and ADD-affected eyes. Also, Julie's number one is that she as/had a huge crush on Scott and that's why she acts like that towards him.

You could see it in the book when you learn that
Simon, the guy Scott beat up in High School to save Kim, was actually Kim's boyfriend. Also, in Vol. 6, the Memory Cam are also part of his twisted take on reality.

XiaNaphryz

SketchTheArtist said:
Actually, O'maley had five facts for each of the characters that he bestowed upon every actor for their roles.
Wasn't it 10 secrets or something to that effect?

Background for the actors is one thing, what's actually conveyed in the movie to the audience, both explicit or implicit, is another.

XiaNaphryz said:
Wasn't it 10 secrets or something to that effect?

Background for the actors is one thing, what's actually conveyed in the movie to the audience, both explicit or implicit, is another.

Oh yeah, it's left to your interpretation, but it's the author's intent, so, you take what you like and leave the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom