• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
FlightOfHeaven said:
Oy, I'm a male fan and -I- found something to be off with the ending.

Eh.

---

And whomever is asking for more Young Neil is weird. He's just the fifth wheel in the story. Hell, the reason he's relevant is because he looks like Scott!
Yeah I'm half joking about the female thing... I just notice that they see the SCOTT'S A CHEATER thing more acutely.

WordAssassin said:
Edit: Also my ex and several other girls I've seen it with didn't think he was going to wind up with Knives or that something felt off either. If anything they found it to be the typical movie switch of, "Oh, you think he's gonna give up on the dream girl, but--ah! Gotcha! He's actually not."
Well that's how they spin it... but in the first cut of the film, it was more like "yeah the dream girl IS BS. Sorry I cheated."

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Rahxephon91 said:
I think if he chose Knives it would make for a better movie. Choosing Knives honestly makes for a more mature choice and just proves that Scott actually grew a bit and moved past just following for the "dream" girl. At least that's what I think.
This is the way the film treats the relationships...
butter_stick said:
Ehh, Knives is the safe choice. Reach for the stars.
...and this is the way the comic treats them.
BocoDragon said:
2. the movie didn't show us the reason why Scott had affection for Ramona, but it did show a genuine connection between Scott and Knives.
3. the screenplay seemed to hint that Knives was a mature, realistic choice for a nerd like Cera, while Ramona was some impossible fantasy who the movie showed us wasn't worth it anyway.
I think the 'Pac-Man' scenes (not in the comic) illustrate this pretty well. Scott uses the same lines on Ramona that he used on Knives, but where Knives was hanging off his every word, Ramona was totally condescending. It's a pretty strong indicator right from the get-go that Knives appreciates him for the geeky guy he is, and Ramona isn't suited for him.

For the record, the girl I saw it with (who hadn't read the comic) did think Scott's not ending up with Knives was really odd.

MNC

Even though I got spoilered by this thread, I'll say that it's indeed
from the movie point of view, good to let hem get together with Knives. Comic wise, bryan lee o malley set everything up for a Scott + Ramona. They both work on their own ways, and thankfully, the scenes for Scott + Knives for the movie had been recorded and done accordingly by Wright, so in my opinion, that ending shall stand for real.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
WordAssassin said:
Exactly. He even says to his sister that it's just nice to have something simple and he doesn't even know himself if it's for real or just him being crazy. He clearly enjoys having someone look up to him and fawn over him
This is one thing I kind of like about the movie over the graphic novels, in that its very interesting: Scott is essentially Ramona's Knives.

Er....dunno if that made sense. But the dynamic that they give off in the movie is exactly the same. Ramona isn't with Scott because she really likes him, she's with him because its simple and she's trying to get over her "Envy" (Gideon).
Sure maybe she falls for him by around Roxie, but in the beginning her attitude is very much "date with a awkward Toronto boy? yeah sure, I need something simple to get my mind off of stuff"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
WordAssassin said:
Exactly. He even says to his sister that it's just nice to have something simple and he doesn't even know himself if it's for real or just him being crazy.
That's at the beginning of the movie though - by the end, Scott wanting to start over and try again could apply to either girl. Hell, it could even have occurred with Kim or Envy if they were clever about it.

This movie was..boring.

I read up to the third volume and while I didn't think they were godly like the rest of GAF seems to think it was, I enjoyed it so far. I can't really say that about the movie.

The movie moved really fast and a lot of times I was like "what just happened?". I guess that's the drawback of having to cram 6 volumes in less than 2 hours but still. I got really tired of all the floating text and shit too. They looked tacky and corny like the 1-up part or the pee bar. The whole movie just looked and felt whack.

Not a big fan of some of the main characters either. I didn't think Kim was bitchy enough or that Julie was just far more annoying than I remember. Wallace looked like the biggest miscast, sigh. Stephen and Neil were pretty spot on though and Envy was hooot :3 Never saw the appeal in Ramona too since she just seemed so aloof and not giving a shit about anything. She was cute but there didn't seem like any reason Scott was in lesbians with her.

The end just felt robbed too.

One thing that I did like was the Zelda Fairy Fountain music around the beginning during Scott's dream. I had no idea they had the license for that, and I definitely had a stupid grin on my face during that part. There were also a few parts I genuinely laughed at and the music performances were neat.

Anyways, I found myself wanting this movie to be over already. My GF enjoyed it a lot so it wasn't a total waste of time but eh, wish I saw Piranha 3D instead.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
effingvic said:
This movie was..boring.

I read up to the third volume and while I didn't think they were godly like the rest of GAF seems to think it was, I enjoyed it so far. I can't really say that about the movie.

The movie moved really fast and a lot of times I was like "what just happened?". I guess that's the drawback of having to cram 6 volumes in less than 2 hours but still. I got really tired of all the floating text and shit too. They looked tacky and corny like the 1-up part or the pee bar. The whole movie just looked and felt whack.

Not a big fan of some of the main characters either. I didn't think Kim was bitchy enough or that Julie was just far more annoying than I remember. Wallace looked like the biggest miscast, sigh. Stephen and Neil were pretty spot on though and Envy was hooot :3 Never saw the appeal in Ramona too since she just seemed so aloof and not giving a shit about anything. She was cute but there didn't seem like any reason Scott was in lesbians with her.

One thing that I did like was the Zelda Fairy Fountain music around the beginning during Scott's dream. I had no idea they had the license for that, and I definitely had a stupid grin on my face during that part. There were also a few parts I genuinely laughed at and the music performances were neat.

Anyways, I found myself wanting this movie to be over already. My GF enjoyed it a lot so it wasn't a total waste of time but eh, wish I saw Piranha 3D instead.

Not for you, etc.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AgentWhiskersX said:
Not for you, etc.

You don't need to respond to a person who doesn't like the movie by reminding them that you do. People are allowed to express themselves, positively or negatively, about the movie in the thread. And it's not like the guy came in and said "this movie blowz fuck all yall morons who like it", he was very clearly describing what he felt about it.

If you want to discuss any aspect of what he said, go for it, but it's really really lame in any thread when people reply just to remind others that their opinions aren't really welcome. I know you didn't mean to tell him to get out of the thread, but that's the result in any thread when people make replies like this.

BJK

effingvic said:
This movie was..boring.

If your post had a face, I would punch it.

Okay, apparently, I need to expand. Did you not like the text boxes that fill the first three volumes of the book....or did you just not think it translated well to cinema? Your critique would make more sense to me if you hadn't read half of the books - that 'whack feel' is exactly what they were going for, because that's how things played out in the books.

I think you may be the only person I've seen complain about Wallace (who constantly steals scenes) or Julie (who seemingly existed only to be annoying in the books...and to
turn Stephen gay
).

VariantX04

Stumpokapow said:
You don't need to respond to a person who doesn't like the movie by reminding them that you do. People are allowed to express themselves, positively or negatively, about the movie in the thread. And it's not like the guy came in and said "this movie blowz fuck all yall morons who like it", he was very clearly describing what he felt about it.

If you want to discuss any aspect of what he said, go for it, but it's really really lame in any thread when people reply just to remind others that their opinions aren't really welcome. I know you didn't mean to tell him to get out of the thread, but that's the result in any thread when people make replies like this.
In retrospect, I probably should've clarified that what I said is what's expected from others. Apologies regardless.

BJK said:
If your post had a face, I would punch it.

Okay, apparently, I need to expand. Did you not like the text boxes that fill the first three volumes of the book....or did you just not think it translated well to cinema? Your critique would make more sense to me if you hadn't read half of the books - that 'whack feel' is exactly what they were going for, because that's how things played out in the books.

I think you may be the only person I've seen complain about Wallace (who constantly steals scenes) or Julie (who seemingly existed only to be annoying in the books...and to
turn Stephen gay
).

I read comics and manga and text boxes and sounds are obviously a staple. That's not what I'm arguing about. I just didn't think it translated well into the film at all and the amount of time it was used..like in every scene, just looked awful to me.

I think the only time it was used well and appropriately was when they were discussing Envy and the narrator with the deep voice was like "He totally got dumped". If it was used like that often I wouldn't be as irritated. But the constant use of it during music (really, we can hear the music. we don't also need to see letters indicating that music is being played...) and every movement the characters made was just, like..bad, dude. It's like the equivalent of an amateur graphic designer that uses like a billion photoshop filters for an image because he can. Totally unnecessary and overdone.

way more

I saw this with my 4$ movie ticket and Scott sure is an huge asshole. I've seen polite and kind retards before like Forrest Gump but who had idea was it to make the lead of the movie a complete jerk? And you guys having a fit over how he chooses one girl over the other are trying way too hard. Girl #1 or #girl #2 are pretty much interchangeable and it's no surprise that there are two different endings. The relationships are so flimsy you could paste either conclusion on and the difference would go unnoticed.

Oddly enough the things I thought would suck were actually well done. The fighting was enjoyable and the jump cut editing was as good as Steven Soderbergh's work. And everything related to music was keen and insightful. Not only was the music good but the observations of band and club politics seemed true and good jokes were made. But the relationships? It seemed like they were written by a 12-year-old and don't even get me started on the gay roommate. That guy set gays back to at least the mid 80's.
AgentWhiskersX said:
You're wrong. I don't know who said that and I don't agree with it but not everyone can digest Edgar Wright's style of filmmaking. Not saying you have to be smart per se but in order to catch some things you'd have to be paying close attention.

You are fascinating. I'm pretty sure paying more attention would not be an asset for this movie.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I said it before, I think it's partially Cera's acting. He just could bring that touch to make you understand, he's just a kid. This is what kids do and it's a story about growing up and relationships. Instead, he just felt like a weasel.

I think the other half to it is simply, it does it backwards. Normally when they have the love triangle. They want the audience to feel like they choose the person right for them. In this case, Knives was the right person while Ramona was a pretty lifeless bitch(Whose "Not in Full Control" was a bullshit cop out). To me, it felt like a choice between what is best for you, and what you truly want.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
mac said:
don't even get me started on the gay roommate. That guy set gays back to at least the mid 80's.

Yeah, Wallace really bothered me. I thought for about five seconds that, oh, maybe there's a person in this movie I can at least identify with or feel some emotion for other than *stab stab die* but no, he had to be that kind of gay character.

BocoDragon

mac said:
I saw this with my 4$ movie ticket and Scott sure is an huge asshole. I've seen polite and kind retards before like Forrest Gump but who had idea was it to make the lead of the movie a complete jerk? And you guys having a fit over how he chooses one girl over the other are trying way too hard. Girl #1 or #girl #2 are pretty much interchangeable and it's no surprise that there are two different endings. The relationships are so flimsy you could paste either conclusion on and the difference would go unnoticed.

It's based on a comic that is set over many months, showing the Scott-Ramona relationship in painstaking detail (dates, their ups and downs, pseudo-breakups, moving in together etc), and then it's condensed into a 2hr movie that also has the burden of having to feature all that setup, plus 7 hyper fight scenes.... You think the relationships were a little shallow? It's a necessity of cramming all of that story into a short film.

Now I'm not saying you should have to read the comics. If you write off Scott Pilgrim and never care about it ever again, that's fine... but know that those of us discussing the relationships have a little more information to go on.

In the film it could have been either girl. In the comic there was no doubt... because there were months of attention given to Ramona. Perhaps its just a victim of adaptation.

XiaNaphryz

BocoDragon said:
In the film it could have been either girl. In the comic there was no doubt...
Arguably there was some doubt, considering all the various theories that were tossed around before vol 6 came out. ;P

OK this movie was awesome. Yeah, the ending felt odd, regardless of whether or not it worked it still was done in a fashion that made the reshoot plainly obvious. Everything else though...

HOLY SHIT

The Katayanagi Twins fight is quite possibly the movie moment of the year. Also, GUESS WHO'S DRUNK

BocoDragon

XiaNaphryz said:
Arguably there was some doubt, considering all the various theories that were tossed around before vol 6 came out. ;P
Fair enough.. but in the comic it wasn't a choice between two interchangeable cardboard cutouts, as mac implied from his impression of the film.

ezekial45

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
Yeah, Wallace really bothered me. I thought for about five seconds that, oh, maybe there's a person in this movie I can at least identify with or feel some emotion for other than *stab stab die* but no, he had to be that kind of gay character.
I must be missing something, but when you mean "THAT kind of gay character", what exactly are you talking about?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
^ Essentially, yes. God forbid we have a gay male who isn't catty, gossiping, trying to "turn" straight guys, having threesomes, etc.

BocoDragon

Cosmic Bus said:
^ Essentially, yes. God forbid we have a gay male who isn't catty, gossiping, trying to "turn" straight guys, having threesomes, etc.
I think Wallace exists as an intentional stereotype in some sense. He is "Scott's Gay Roommate" with everything that implies as a story device. It is what it is. Maybe this story isn't going to change attitudes about gay people, but it really wasn't designed to. Characters like "hipsters", "vegans" show up and they are their full, stereotypical selves. Hell, Indians have mystical Bollywood powers... It's more like a celebration of intentional tropes taken to a ridiculous level... not a depiction of reality (or an ideal, politically correct reality).

way more

BocoDragon said:
Wallace even self-references that by saying he didn't write the gay rulebook or whatever, when Scott asks why he has to break up with one girl and Wallace doesn't.

Oh, so he's just doing it because it's his natural inclination. Let's not make a big issue out of it but it's not alarmist to say he was a bad stereotype. Also, Micheal Cera's haircut was offensive to lesbians.

BocoDragon

mac said:
Oh, so he's just doing it because it's his natural inclination. Let's not make a big issue out of it but it's not alarmist to say he was a bad stereotype.

I have friends like that though. They exist. And not only that, but this aim of this series was basically to take the stereotypes you'd expect from the subcultures of Toronto and rearrange them into a kind of manga/videogame fantasy.

I mean the asian girl is trained in martial arts.. and in the comic, her father turns up and is basically a samurai. :p

The only thing I can say for sure is that if you want to be politicially correct police and make a film that deliberately chooses non-stereotypical gay characters to further their image in the world... this isn't it. But to suggest its wholly offensive to gay people? Naw.

mac said:
Also, Micheal Cera's haircut was offensive to lesbians.

I actually... don't disagree. You're clearly chugging the hatorade for this film, but you're not wrong about that. :lol

XiaNaphryz

mac said:
Also, Micheal Cera's haircut was offensive to lesbians.
2rmwck6.png

maharg

idspispopd
BocoDragon said:
I think Wallace exists as an intentional stereotype in some sense. He is "Scott's Gay Roommate" with everything that implies as a story device. It is what it is. Maybe this story isn't going to change attitudes about gay people, but it really wasn't designed to. Characters like "hipsters", "vegans" show up and they are their full, stereotypical selves. Hell, Indians have mystical Bollywood powers... It's more like a celebration of intentional tropes taken to a ridiculous level... not a depiction of reality (or an ideal, politically correct reality).

This.

But also, I think there's something quite positive in the fact that Scott is not only roommates with a gay guy, but also sleeps in the same bed as him, and it's NOT turned into some big "zomg gay cooties" thing. Nor does the film give you any reason at all to question Scott's heterosexuality because of it. Not even for a minor throw-away joke. It's endlessly pointed out that he's gay, just like (as mentioned above) every other stereotype in the film, but it's never a problem that he is.

Anyways, with the box office Scott Pilgrim is doing it's not setting back anyone anything.

Fireye

Cosmic Bus said:

Because there aren't real homosexual men who act that way, it's entirely a fantasy! I don't think one role in one movie "sets backs" gays to the 80's. I haven't read the comics, but was the movie character true to the comic?

maharg

idspispopd
Wallace's characterization is pretty close, though I don't remember quite so much in the way of scenes where scott wakes up next to a foursome. I've lent out my copies of the books, though.

The book is generally no more PC than the movie in general, though. But I think it's a good kind of un-PC. It has never struck me as judgmental. It's actually very Canadian in its treatment of stereotypes, imo, and that carried over to the film.

People are shocked that the main character is a jerk? That's the whole point. Scott is a hugely flawed character. How dare a story do something different! Main characters can only be good pure people with no flaws, because that's how real people are, dammit!

Loved the movie. From the 8-bit Universal studios logo at the beginning I knew it was going to be awesome. The comedy was hilarious:
the part at the end where Scott makes friends with his "evil" clone. I laughed for about five minutes.
The fights were spectacular. The cast was amazing. The video game overload was so original. It was the best film I have seen in the cinema all year. Everyone in the theater was laughing along. The most fun I have had with a movie this summer. Go and see it. Seriously. The movie gets five stars from me.

Also, addicted to Brie Larson's version of Metric's Black Sheep at the moment:

awesome-1.jpg

She sings it better than the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMruFHTwrY

So many hot girls in this movie. Found Ramona strangley alluring. Envy [Brie Larson] was also extremely hot. I honestly have nothing negative to say about this movie. It was cool that Michael Cera [awesome in Superbad] and Chris Evans [awesome in Sunshine] were in the same movie. This was my perfect film. I am so getting the DVD.

Scott Pilgrim for the win.

Krev said:
I think the 'Pac-Man' scenes (not in the comic) illustrate this pretty well. Scott uses the same lines on Ramona that he used on Knives, but where Knives was hanging off his every word, Ramona was totally condescending. It's a pretty strong indicator right from the get-go that Knives appreciates him for the geeky guy he is, and Ramona isn't suited for him.

This is crazy, clearly the secret to falling in love is to date sycophants who hand off your every word. Also I like how you totally disregard of Scott's delivery in both circumstances, he's fine with Knives because it's just nice being with her, she's a simple female friend to hang around with and reinforce his self-esteem. He struggles saying the exact same thing to Ramona because he's actually attracted to her.

Also I think the development between Scott and Ramona was close to identical in the movie and books. Namely for Scott it's love at first sight, completely superficial and for Ramona it's about a lifestyle change. It doesn't really develop into more until the conclusion where Ramona finally frees herself of Gideon and is able to commit to Scott and Scott realises he has to change as well. You can say Knives has more in common with Scott (we know very little of what Ramona likes due to her mysterious act) however it's clear Scott and Ramona are on a much more compatible level emotionally.

Edit: Oh, I saw it today and loved it. I finally get peoples attraction to CaDH and Envy.

randomwab

Just got back from seeing it again. Just as good the second time around. God damn, that film.

It's made me want to go play some Link to the Past. :lol

Kevtones

Never read the books:

9/10

It could've used another couple passes on some of the jokes, and the pacing was uneven in the 3rd act but HOLY FUCK the direction of the film was absolutely marvelous.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
This is crazy, clearly the secret to falling in love is to date sycophants who hand off your every word.
I'm not saying that's right, I'm saying that's what the film seemed to be saying. Later on it throws out hints that Scott and Knives are right for each other,
Ramona's "You too make a great combo" being one example.
Also I like how you totally disregard of Scott's delivery in both circumstances, he's fine with Knives because it's just nice being with her, she's a simple female friend to hang around with and reinforce his self-esteem. He struggles saying the exact same thing to Ramona because he's actually attracted to her.
Yeah, but Ramona still acts like a stuck-up bitch.
Also I think the development between Scott and Ramona was close to identical in the movie and books. Namely for Scott it's love at first sight, completely superficial and for Ramona it's about a lifestyle change. It doesn't really develop into more until the conclusion where Ramona finally frees herself of Gideon and is able to commit to Scott and Scott realises he has to change as well.
But it's totally different. For one thing, in the movie
RAMONA LEAVES SCOTT TO GO BACK TO GIDEON.
. Ramona and Scott's don't ever seem to grow closer, and at the end
she doesn't commit to him at all, she walks away, leaving Scott with Knives. Scott has to chase after her.

VariantX04

mac said:
You are fascinating. I'm pretty sure paying more attention would not be an asset for this movie.
The sheer amount of detail in the shots (watch the movie a couple of times and I challenge you not to pick something new up) and the fact that each one is different is a testament to that man's meticulousness. Just sayin'.

Krev said:
I'm not saying that's right, I'm saying that's what the film seemed to be saying. Later on it throws out hints that Scott and Knives are right for each other,
Ramona's "You too make a great combo" being one example.
Yeah that's the one and only example and it takes place in the last 5-10 minutes of the movie. Bzzt.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
WordAssassin said:
Yeah that's the one and only example and it takes place in the last 5-10 minutes of the movie. Bzzt.
Still more indications than it gives us there are that Scott and Ramona are meant to end up with each other.

As it is, the movie feels pretty confused.

The fact that the movie focuses entirely on Scott's quest to defeat Ramona's 7 evil exes is all the indication you need that they're meant to end up together. They meet, they date, he fights 7 people over the course of two weeks to be with her. All they do with Knives is have her pine over him for the length of the movie, and then at the very end there is one line, one, that they're a good team.

I don't think I could ever accept a Scott+Knives ending purely because the whole course of the movie is spent following Scott as he fights for Ramona. They would need some epic exposition on how Scott decided he wasn't really interested in Ramona but was actually just helping her shed her past or some bullshit for me to even consider it, and even then I'd still feel robbed and unhappy. "I begrudgingly defeated your 7 evil exes not because I'm in love with you or even want to date you, but because I'm just a nice guy and just wanted to help you out. Bye!"

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
WordAssassin said:
The fact that the movie focuses entirely on Scott's quest to defeat Ramona's 7 evil exes is all the indication you need that they're meant to end up together. They meet, they date, he fights 7 people over the course of two weeks to be with her. All they do with Knives is have her pine over him for the length of the movie, and then at the very end there is one line, one, that they're a good team.

I don't think I could ever accept a Scott+Knives ending purely because the whole course of the movie is spent following Scott as he fights for Ramona. They would need some epic exposition on how Scott decided he wasn't really interested in Ramona but was actually just helping her shed her past or some bullshit for me to even consider it, and even then I'd still feel robbed and unhappy. "I begrudgingly defeated your 7 evil exes not because I'm in love with you or even want to date you, but because I'm just a nice guy and just wanted to help you out. Bye!"
But why is Scott bothering with fighting the exes? It seems to me like he successfully gets Ramona to date him, unwittingly gets thrust into a bunch of battles, makes out with her a bit before it becomes apparent that they aren't very well matched, and then the relationship deteriorates. She goes back to Gideon, Scott seems kind of bitter, for some reason he keeps fighting and at the end he goes back to her.

Scott's relationships with Knives and Ramona both feel pretty superficial to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom