• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Is there anywhere I can read all of these?

Yeah, I'd like to read this too.

I like the interpretation that it could just be wish fulfillment for Scott, or his view of events. It could also paint him as a picture of the ADD generation, where even assholes get the girl of their dreams and have no sense of reality

If only the movie had a Brazil-like ending. Haha.

Either way, it's incredibly fun and entertaining to watch.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The_Technomancer said:
Is there anywhere I can read all of these?
Not that I'm aware of. Ideally, the list of 10 for each character will be included on the home release. The few I know that have been mentioned, off the top of my head:

Ramona's younger brother dying and her wearing a shoelace around her neck to remember him, Julie having a secret crush on Scott.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
One of Scott's secrets, according to Cera: "The one that really stays in my head is that Scott, in his mind, is the star of his own movie. This movie is, in a way, existing in his own mind. This is his weird perception of the world around him."

Which doesn't mean anything, really.

Alucard said:
Yeah, I'd like to read this too.

I like the interpretation that it could just be wish fulfillment for Scott, or his view of events. It could also paint him as a picture of the ADD generation, where even assholes get the girl of their dreams and have no sense of reality

If only the movie had a Brazil-like ending. Haha.

Either way, it's incredibly fun and entertaining to watch.
What.

Coeliacus

Brazil said:
One of Scott's secrets, according to Cera: "The one that really stays in my head is that Scott, in his mind, is the star of his own movie. This movie is, in a way, existing in his own mind. This is his weird perception of the world around him."

Which doesn't mean anything, really.
It means everything... and I don't just mean to explain the outlandish stuff. The way he is the very centre of his own world and everyone is always focused on him... it just fits. This is why the film gets compared to Twilight a lot and personally I have no problem with that.

Does anyone know if you can buy Envy's version of Black Sheep anywhere? I'm quite fond of both versions.

XiaNaphryz said:
Not that I'm aware of. Ideally, the list of 10 for each character will be included on the home release. The few I know that have been mentioned, off the top of my head:

Ramona's younger brother dying and her wearing a shoelace around her neck to remember him, Julie having a secret crush on Scott.
Whoa at that first one. I read the comic, did I just miss that?

XiaNaphryz

BobTheFork said:
Whoa at that first one. I read the comic, did I just miss that?
Supposedly several of the "10 secrets for each character" info aren't mentioned in the comics.

The whole thing is just an obvious metaphor, saying it's gone through a filter in Scott's head doesn't really change anything. It's not like it's ever rooted in reality.

mac said:
Wait, it was all in his head? Was he in a coma or something?
No, read what I wrote again. The story of Scott Pilgrim could best be described as being told in the second person. You aren't Scott, but Scott isn't telling you the story after it has happened. You are witnessing the events unfold as they happen, just through Scott's warped view of reality.

G-Fex said:
Every one of these characters in this movie was likable. So very likable. In some way or another.

except ramona.. what was supposed to be likable about her again?

mary elizabeth winstead is hot but those wigs did her no favors :/

jax (old)

Banned
very LTTP but just saw this and it blew me away. Perfectly put together. Never dull. Funny as all hell. I'm shocked that word of mouth didn't take and its bombing. The cinema I was in (albeit small) was full and everyone had a great time. The action sequences in this were all spot on. The edit was spot on. The audio was spot on.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I tried guys sooo hard to get some of my friends to watch this movie, but everyone kept saying the movie looked weird or strange and they dont understand it. I'm going to watch again with a co-worker, since he read the comics and understands the movie than my friends that place their judgement on the trailers, sigh. This movie is soo damn awesome, but suffers from the "Fight club" type of advertising. I bet when Scott Pilgrim is on-demand, netflix, etc a lot more people will be making LTTP topics

neojubei said:
I tried guys sooo hard to get some of my friends to watch this movie, but everyone kept saying the movie looked weird or strange and they dont understand it. I'm going to watch again with a co-worker, since he read the comics and understands the movie than my friends that place their judgement on the trailers, sigh. This movie is soo damn awesome, but suffers from the "Fight club" type of advertising. I bet when Scott Pilgrim is on-demand, netflix, etc a lot more people will be making LTTP topics

Yeah, a lot of people I know are waiting for it to hit DVD sadly. However, a friend of mine went with a girl that's classified as a 'movie snob' and complained during the whole way to the theater that it was gonna be terrible, etc. After 5 minutes into the movie, she couldn't stop laughing. :D

Seeing it for the third and final time tonight until it hits glorious blu-ray.

Corum

WordAssassin said:
After reading his post I spent all day thinking about this idea. My God that would have been SUCH a good marketing campaign.

Patel could have been a faux fashion commercial about pirates being in this season. Like a fake GAP ad or something, with him and some hipster [demon] chicks posing and a voice-over talking about their looks, and then at the end, "And I'm coming for YOU, SCOTT PILGRIM!"

Lucas Lee, the fake movie trailer, with him pausing in the middle of an action scene and turning towards the viewer, saying the same thing.

Todd could be an pro-vegan ad, or an ad for soy milk, and at the end he's listing the benefits of being vegan and he could say, "Plus, awesome powers to kick your face in, Scott Pilgrim."

Roxie's could have been set up like an ad for a school, but it's a ninja school, and at the end she turns towards the camera, "You won't even know what hit you, SCOTT PILGRIM!"

The Twins would obviously be a fax CD commercial, with them talking about the Battle of the Bands contest coming up, "See you there, SCOTT PILGRIM!"

Gideon's would just be a super sexy ad for the Chaos Theater opening soon with a female announcer's voice, and the end of the ad would just be "See you opening night, Scott Pilgrim."

Fuck, that would have driven up INSANE word of mouth for this movie. People would be like "Who is Scott Pilgrim? Why are these people after him?" What did he do? Uuuughhhh so depressing!!

It deeply saddens me how awesome the advertising campaign could have been, god damn.

MNC

Damn. Not sure I like the theory on how this is all a retelling and everything is just a normal regular world, only crazy because Scott Pilgrim made it as such in his mind. I knew the messed up memories bit, and I know he's a bit biased on other things... But everything?

How would you explain subspace?

Gideon's crazy chaos theatre and
all of HIS former exes in cryo
?

Scott meeting an angry ex of Ramona, them getting in a small brawl would result Scott in telling the story "Yeah I kicked this guys ass, got a huge ass combo" because he's game-biased. But... How would the rest work?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
MNC said:
Damn. Not sure I like the theory on how this is all a retelling and everything is just a normal regular world, only crazy because Scott Pilgrim made it as such in his mind. I knew the messed up memories bit, and I know he's a bit biased on other things... But everything?

How would you explain subspace?

Gideon's crazy chaos theatre and
all of HIS former exes in cryo
?

Scott meeting an angry ex of Ramona, them getting in a small brawl would result Scott in telling the story "Yeah I kicked this guys ass, got a huge ass combo" because he's game-biased. But... How would the rest work?

Dude you're getting caught in a trap. It doesn't matter. The spirit of the story is just to take the insane stuff in your stride, so don't sweat it, I doubt BLOM did. The stuff will not all 'match up' so don't hurt your brain trying to make it.

That said, it's fairly obvious that the film is through the lens of Scott's mind, but it's loose and I doubt there's a 1:1 correlation to things in the 'real world'.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's just fantasy. Let's not turn it into some comic book "universe" with explanations for why everything happens...

TxdoHawk

Saw it this past Sunday. I was kind of worried, since the biggest complaint seemed to be that the movie felt "rushed". To me though, it just felt very tightly and smartly cut, although I think a little more could've been done. The
DDR ninja machine
bits ran a little too long, and
the gag with Scott walking in on his roommate
felt kind of thrown in, and wasn't really that funny, I would've cut that in favor of better content.

I'm surprised so many people feel that
Scott should have ended up with Knives.
The film, to me at least, made it very obvious that
Scott was using her to plug a hole in his life, and that initially they hit it off well, and she could geek out with him, but they didn't really click on an emotional level.
On the other hand,
Ramona was an odd "I want my dream girl!" obsession that didn't work at all initially, but eventually they formed a powerful bond.
I think this kind of thing can really resonate with a lot of people, the idea that
while some of us think we just want an opposite-sex version of ourselves, oftentimes we really need someone else entirely.

Like everyone else, I am fairly disappointed at the box office turnout, but I think the real winner here will be O'Malley with new sales of the comics. I know I am definitely interested in reading them now.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
I agree. Somehow they made her less attractive.

My GF said the same, but I don't see it myself (apart from the green hair, that wasn't too good). I think I was just captivated by her eyes though - that shot (also from the trailer) where she opens scott's eyes and there is a full screen shot of her face is just so beautiful. I do not know how anyone can see that face and not be ready to fight seven evil exes right there and then!

XiaNaphryz

Alison Pill's got some legs. Also better with long hair.

2mgvc76.png

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
yeh thought about it some more and this is not a film or comic people should read into. Its like some people might say they take life lessons from penny arcade or something but you'd be getting too far into fanatical territory for me.

Its just wacky, adult swim type zany fun for me. Its like saying Grease is really deep and meaningful and trying to find reason behind all the song and dance. For example his gay friend handing the film star the skateboard, the build up to his reveal, or Ramona beating up Roxy and telling him how she just saved his ass by telling him her 'weakness' - I take nothing from all that except slapstick comedy and slick action.

Obviously fans can take what they want from it, Hell One Piece evokes a big emotional response from me and people think I'm nuts when I say I idolise pirates! I can see why this guy gets girl story appeals to so many people, I even had a couple people stand up and clap in my screening and that's incredibly rare in the UK so clearly the fanbase for this film is particularly fervent. I guess it hits a sweet spot.

In many ways this felt like a chick flick for boys and has quite a lot in common with certain genres of anime.

XiaNaphryz

Imm0rt4l said:
Another one I believe is that explains why Julie hates Scott
Julie had a crush on Scott in college

I think all the secrets will be about as trivial as this one.
Errr, I said that in my post. You even quoted it. :lol

Jintor

kaizoku said:
yeh thought about it some more and this is not a film or comic people should read into. Its like some people might say they take life lessons from penny arcade or something but you'd be getting too far into fanatical territory for me.

I think you're getting specific moments confused with the, uh, kind of 'overall' metaphor. It's certainly not the kind of movie where every little thing that happens is meant to be taken and deconstructed (Todd being a Vegan, for instance, is nothing more than O'Malley thinking 'hey, what if Vegans WERE superior?') but I think the crux of the relationship, emotional baggage etc is all there to have a message below it.

Coeliacus

Jedeye Sniv said:
My GF said the same, but I don't see it myself (apart from the green hair, that wasn't too good). I think I was just captivated by her eyes though - that shot (also from the trailer) where she opens scott's eyes and there is a full screen shot of her face is just so beautiful. I do not know how anyone can see that face and not be ready to fight seven evil exes right there and then!
I think that shot in the trailer is what got me interested in the film, and I had no idea what Scott Pilgrim was before then. Everyone says the trailer is crap, which might be so but it worked for me. :lol

XiaNaphryz

AgentWhiskersX said:
So we're expected to wait until January 4, 2011 for the Blu-ray/DVD? God dammit, Universal.
Not surprising. Toy Story 3 hits retail in October, 5 months after box office. Assuming that date's correct SP would hit in 4.5 months.

And too much Ramona talk, must repost:

2mgvc76.png

G-Fex

I'd fight through 14 exes just to get Ramona.

...or I'd take the easier route and just go with Kim. She does have nice legs after all. Plus I love her attitude.

Ramona... if only I could find a girl like that.

Anyway, this movie (I was a fan of the books for a long time) has inspired me to get back into drumming. I'm going to get myself an electronic drum kit.

Also: I'm pretty sure from interviews that "Scott Pilgrim is a star of his own movie" comes straight from Bryan Lee O'Malley. The movie and books are just fun so don't over analyse it. I don't want a realistic gritty version of the Scott Pilgrim stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom