• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Gabyskra said:
God no. No personality. Technically sound but dull. She's no Emily Haines.

The original makes me want to punch kittens, that voice is god awful. I'm not a fan of that type of music but the movie version is catchy.

Gabyskra

Banned
evlcookie said:
The original makes me want to punch kittens, that voice is god awful. I'm not a fan of that type of music but the movie version is catchy.

Look, you don't like indie rock and like pop rock, it's fine.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Gabyskra said:

I honestly don't like either style of music, But i find Bries voice to be easier to listen to and more enjoyable. The song just has a better feel to it and i connect more with it for whatever reason.

Krev said:
I'm not saying that's right, I'm saying that's what the film seemed to be saying. Later on it throws out hints that Scott and Knives are right for each other,
Ramona's "You too make a great combo" being one example.

Hey, Ramona says Knives and Scott get on, then moments later the film has Knives inform the audience that Ramona's blatantly the one Scott loves.

Yeah, but Ramona still acts like a stuck-up bitch.

Really? Scott's looking like a creepy obsessed stalker and she doesn't want anyything to do with him. She acts exactly like she does in the comics in that scene and just like in the comics the only way he's able to get her attention is by blackmailing her into a date.

But it's totally different. For one thing, in the movie
RAMONA LEAVES SCOTT TO GO BACK TO GIDEON.
. Ramona and Scott's don't ever seem to grow closer, and at the end
she doesn't commit to him at all, she walks away, leaving Scott with Knives. Scott has to chase after her.

I'm pretty sure they explain the "he's in my head" thing and why she wants to be with Gideon rather clearly in the film. In the books she's no closer to Scott at that point given she totally vanishes without a word for a pretty long time to think things over. At the climax of the film she's so committed to Scott that she's willing to walk away from the nicest guy she's ever dated because she thinks he'll be happier than somebody else. It's pretty clear she still wants to be with him but at that point she knows that she isn't this perfectly honest, friendly girl she set out to be when she moved to Toronto and thus doesn't think she's as worthy as Knives.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
Hey, Ramona says Knives and Scott get on, then moments later the film has Knives inform the audience that Ramona's blatantly the one Scott loves.
I'm just arguing that stuff seems to come out of nowhere and clash with the rest of the film.
Frankly, with the way the film played out I think the most suitable ending would be Scott not ending up with anyone but rather walking away, wiser from his experience. Or maybe meeting someone new.
Spirit of Jazz said:
Really? Scott's looking like a creepy obsessed stalker and she doesn't want anyything to do with him. She acts exactly like she does in the comics in that scene and just like in the comics the only way he's able to get her attention is by blackmailing her into a date.
I just checked my copy of the comic so that I could say this with absolute confidence...she doesn't. At all. For one thing, the performance changes things a great deal. Mary Elizabeth Winstead really plays Ramona as if she feels herself to be superior to Scott in that scene. In the comic, her facial expression doesn't change when he moves over to her. She's generally disinterested, rather than bitchy. In the film, Scott says his Pac-Man lines awkwardly and gets shot down. In the comic, he compliments her shoes and she says "thanks, I got them in England." In the movie the "I'll leave you alone forever now" line comes after Ramona makes it clear she's not the least bit interested in Scott, while in the comic it comes when Scott is embarrassed about his "am I dreaming?" line (which worries Ramona, since she's just realized he's the guy whose head she has been using as a shortcut).
So yeah, not at all the same. In the movie she's actively hostile to Scott. Our first impression is that she's a mean character. It's not like that in the comic.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I'm pretty sure they explain the "he's in my head" thing and why she wants to be with Gideon rather clearly in the film. In the books she's no closer to Scott at that point given she totally vanishes without a word for a pretty long time to think things over.
After all the time we see them spend together and the scenes at the end of volume 4, you really think Ramona was no closer to Scott by the climax? Really?
It was pretty clear to me that she walked away because she had her own problems to deal with, didn't feel she would be doing the right thing by Scott in staying with him, and generally wasn't strong of character.

edgefusion

Went to see it for the second time today and I'm just as excited about it as I was the first time. I can't wait for the blu-ray release, this deserves to be seen in 1080p rather than on my towns shitty cinema projectors. They wonder why people pirate movies when I can get an experience 10x better in my own home...

I'm going to take a friend tonight (already seen it myself), and our giant 16-plex only has two showtimes per day now, probably in the smallest theater they have. Bah!

big ander

Gabyskra said:
Don't know if it was your intention, but you're coming off a little uppity, and it seems like it's because you think listening to indie rock makes you better :lol Could just be trollin' though.
I listen to indie rock too, and I listen to Metric. The Larson version of Black Sheep is better.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Gabyskra said:
No personality. Technically sound but dull.
That's exactly how I felt about the original Metric version. :/

Sorry, but Brie Larson's performance just has that little extra something.

Firestorm

Saw it last night:
- main plot was terrible but we all knew that after the books
- good amount of scenes I found hilarious
- Wells and Stills <3
- Amaazinnggg direction. Loved it.

Also, Cera played Scott pretty damn well. Haters were wrong.

Firestorm

Inferno313 said:
Wait, what?
I always found the "League of Evil Exes" thing to be a bit ridiculous and boring. The humour in the series was something I liked, but the actual central plot was never really interesting. I do think they did a good job with the fights in the movie because of how they handled the post-production.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Firestorm said:
I always found the "League of Evil Exes" thing to be a bit ridiculous and boring. The humour in the series was something I liked, but the actual central plot was never really interesting. I do think they did a good job with the fights in the movie because of how they handled the post-production.
The league of evil exes thing has it's tounge so far in it's cheek I never thought to judge it that way... It's inherantly silly and thus, awesome.

big ander

Firestorm said:
As Boco said, it's tongue in cheek from the second it starts. The way they nonchalantly announce Scott as the best fighter in the province, the way it starts over e-mail, etc. It's ridiculous, but it knows it's ridiculous. In the movie, Wright has described the Exes fights as used in the same way songs are used in a musical. The audience doesn't ask "why are these people singing here? No one breaks out into song randomly with a chorus line in real life!" They just accept it as part of the universe.
Also, I don't find it boring because it's a mechanism to energize character developments in Scott. Him
learning to work for love AND himself might not hit as hard if it was just during a conversation with a douche ex boyfriend. But when swords are involved and you're in this charged fighting environment, the emotional shifts are that much more effective.

BocoDragon said:
The league of evil exes thing has it's tounge so far in it's cheek I never thought to judge it that way... It's inherantly silly and thus, awesome.
I really wish they had added the line Gideon had about forming the league on Craig'sList while piss drunk.

I still have to disagree about knives being better for Scott in the movie, even with things like that Pac-Man line. I get that they made knives MORE similar to Scott in the movie but I thought that shows WHY he shouldn't be with her. Scott comes across as very immature, and I think that works for his character. I don't think he was a Jerk; he was dismissive of his old GF's and he just saw everything though his own eyes without thinking of other people. Knives in the movie is played as very Immature as well, but it's because he's still kind of a spazzy high school girl. The whole point to me was the Scott dating Knives because she is what he wanted, a cute girl on his own level who worshiped him like a god, but she wasn't what he needed. He dated her because of how badly Nat hurt him and he know Knives would never do that. What he needed was a challenge, a girl he would have to be a better, more mature person to be with. Someone who wouldn't put up with him forgetting they were supposed to meat each other, or forgetting his keys again (not in the movie I know but that was so funny to me). Again, just my opinion : )

Zabka said:
Except for Scott and Knives
defeating Gideon together
Yeah, uh, that's the one and only thing I'm talking about that happens 10 minutes before the movie ends.

Krev said:
But why is Scott bothering with fighting the exes? It seems to me like he successfully gets Ramona to date him, unwittingly gets thrust into a bunch of battles, makes out with her a bit before it becomes apparent that they aren't very well matched, and then the relationship deteriorates. She goes back to Gideon, Scott seems kind of bitter, for some reason he keeps fighting and at the end he goes back to her.

Scott's relationships with Knives and Ramona both feel pretty superficial to me.
Have you ever been in a relationship before? Do you remember how they start? (not trying to sound like an asshole genuinely asking) Generally, they start because one person sees the other, and thinks to themselves, "I want to be with that person." Because this is often a one-sided idea, it takes time for the object of affection to warm up to this stranger suddenly wanting to be with them. This results in dating. While dating in the movie, we find out that Ramona and Scott are actually very well suited to each other because they've both cheated on exes, been cheated on BY exes, and are generally assholes. Scott is called out multiple times in the film for being a womanizer and though he criticizes Ramona for never being the dumpee, he himself is guilty of the same thing with the exception of Envy, whereas Envy is to Scott what Gideon is to Ramona. Scott is also Ramona's Knives in the movie, but the reason it works out is because personality-wise, Scott and Ramona are both assholes and thus suited for each other, whereas Scott has little to no actual interest in Knives other than to have someone idol worship him and pay for arcade games.

Also, the relationship doesn't deteriorate in the movie causing Ramona to go back to Gideon. She has the chip in her head the entire film, and there are several scenes in the movie when they are fighting that you see her touch the back on her neck and hear a digitized computer sound effect. One of which being at the party right after the Roxy fight when she says "I think we should split." Which implies that Gideon has been manipulating her away from Scott through the whole film, even though she's trying to fight against him to be with Scott. She does not actually break up with Scott until Gideon is physically in her presence during the Battle of the Bands fight, controlling her mind with that ring and the chip.

Mr Jared

I can't believe I'm going to see this for the third time in three weeks.. but my girlfriends younger relatives are staying the weekend and they haven't seen it. It's really one of those movies that, when you find out someone hasn't seen it you feel compelled to drag them into the theater right then and there.

WordAssassin said:
Good Opinions
I really agree with this. I'm surprised by the comments that said they thought it was bad for Scott not to have some other reason to like Ramona at first, or vice-versa. At first, she was just a girl he saw in his dreams and got obsessed with, and he was just a sad puppy guy that was really nice to her. There really doesn't need to be any more for a relationship to start. They just hung out first and it went from there.

It didn't bother me too much that Scott and Knives fought Gideon together, but the one difference from the comic that I thought was a bad fail was her going back to Gideon.
It really make her character much better at the end of the comic when she didn't go back to Gideon, she just left and went to her dad's house.
She realized it wasn't Scott she was mad at, it was herself and that makes her feel more like a real person.

I'm currently deciding which is better- the OST or the score. The OST has Black Sheep and the individual cut of Threshold, but the score has the Katayanagi Twin music, the Bass Battle and the fast version of We Are Sex Bob-Omb.

Score wins!

edgefusion

Green Scar said:
I'm currently deciding which is better- the OST or the score. The OST has Black Sheep and the individual cut of Threshold, but the score has the Katayanagi Twin music, the Bass Battle and the fast version of We Are Sex Bob-Omb.

Score wins!

Don't forget that badass Universal theme.

aceface said:
I never got a chance to see this and now it's out of my local theater. Sucks.
That's why I made sure to see it fast. Unfortunately the two times I went were bad times and the theater was a quarter full at most. I should have just gone opening night and seen it with the only full crowds. After I saw it once I was convinced it's the perfect movie to see with a ton of people.

The relationships in the movie are complete garbage, really. It's best to just ignore it, it's an awesome action movie with laughs, not a character profile. Didn't stop me loving the film, although reading the comics probably helped with that.

FUCK. I'm trying to use the zelda fairy spring theme that they used in the movie, but it's neither in the soundtrack or the score. Anyone have an mp3 of it?

Zabka

Scott and Ramona in the movie were written to be a bad match for each other. They only end up together because movie logic demands it.

The comics are a whole different story though.

butter_stick said:
The relationships in the movie are complete garbage, really. It's best to just ignore it, it's an awesome action movie with laughs, not a character profile. Didn't stop me loving the film, although reading the comics probably helped with that.
Maybe I just had low expectations, but I actually thought it turned out ok. I thought the comic purposefully made Ramona look perfect to begin with, then had a bunch of good character for her after the first few volumes. The movie had to cram more moments in early about her disappearing and being a bitch. Maybe I was just expecting those moment to break the flow of the movie more.

edit: Well, they ended up together because they changed the ending to be more like the comic. The only thing missing is about another half hour (at least) to show some the things that made it worth reading.

way more

WordAssassin said:
People are shocked that the main character is a jerk? That's the whole point. Scott is a hugely flawed character. How dare a story do something different! Main characters can only be good pure people with no flaws, because that's how real people are, dammit!

I watched the movie Citizen Ruth last night. It's about an inveterate glue sniffing, 40-year-old women who endangers her children and actually punches a kid while high. She's a despicable character but you end up rooting for her her. Why? Because she overcomes burden and conflict when she suddenly finds her self the single most important women in a national abortion debate.
The problem with Scott is not that that he is has mid-level retardation or that he is an aloof self-centered jerk, it's that he's all those things with seemingly no conflict or struggle in his life. Without conflict the movie is pretty much just like a long episode of Entourage. Some stuff happens, there are laughs, some cool shots and everything works out in the end but it's kinda shallow. Granted, if you very much enjoy the characters, setting and dialogue not having a conflict can make for an enjoyable hour or two of cinema.

I also showed up late and missed the Universal intro. Based on the ratio of posts mentioning the sequence it must have been amazing and I missed something special.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Jazzem said:
The Distressed Watcher (you may know him on youtube as the Amazing Atheist) gives five reasons why the movie flopped:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...tches/27623-dw-5reasonswhyscottpilgrimflopped

4 is so true!
That link is much better if you just listen to the guy and don't actually watch him. Why the hell won't he stand still? He's rocking left and right on his feet at the same time that he rocks forward and backward with his shoulders/neck. It's really annoying.

ezekial45

Banned
Mac, Do you usually go into movies expecting to have award winning direction, scripts, editing, etc? I don't know, you seem to be trying to hold this film to a higher standard for some odd reason. You should probably lower your expectations a bit in regards to cinema.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
mac said:
I also showed up late and missed the Universal intro. Based on the ratio of posts mentioning the sequence it must have been amazing and I missed something special.
Not really.. It was just a chiptune version if the Universal theme. Based on how you reacted to the film I'd say you didn't miss anything.

Verboten said:
FUCK. I'm trying to use the zelda fairy spring theme that they used in the movie, but it's neither in the soundtrack or the score. Anyone have an mp3 of it?

Well... it's A Link to the Past music. Based on how many SNES soundtracks I've listened to off the net over the last 15 years, it's kind of amusing to me to see someone ask where to find that music... but I'll PM you.

KHarvey16

I thought the whole "defeat the evil exes" thing was partially metaphorical as well. Wouldn't most people who dumped their previous significant others want you to "defeat" them, as in, be better than them?

black_13

Banned
Monroeski said:
That link is much better if you just listen to the guy and don't actually watch him. Why the hell won't he stand still? He's rocking left and right on his feet at the same time that he rocks forward and backward with his shoulders/neck. It's really annoying.
I couldn't even stand listening to him. Way too annoying.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
WordAssassin said:
Have you ever been in a relationship before? Do you remember how they start? (not trying to sound like an asshole genuinely asking) Generally, they start because one person sees the other, and thinks to themselves, "I want to be with that person." Because this is often a one-sided idea, it takes time for the object of affection to warm up to this stranger suddenly wanting to be with them. This results in dating. While dating in the movie, we find out that Ramona and Scott are actually very well suited to each other because they've both cheated on exes, been cheated on BY exes, and are generally assholes. Scott is called out multiple times in the film for being a womanizer and though he criticizes Ramona for never being the dumpee, he himself is guilty of the same thing with the exception of Envy, whereas Envy is to Scott what Gideon is to Ramona. Scott is also Ramona's Knives in the movie, but the reason it works out is because personality-wise, Scott and Ramona are both assholes and thus suited for each other, whereas Scott has little to no actual interest in Knives other than to have someone idol worship him and pay for arcade games..
Yes, I have been in a relationship and I know how they start. I'm not complaining about that. My problem is that it doesn't seem like their relationship goes anywhere. There are very few scenes of interaction between them that point to a real connection. All of the issues you discussed are barely addressed at all in conversation between them. Come to think of it, we have no scenes of any serious conversation between them and one or two scenes where they hang out. Where was the relationship in all that? Why was it worth saving? By the fourth and especially fifth ex battles, I was wondering why he was bothering. Ramona and Scott didn't seem to mean too much to each other considering how easily they split up when he whined about having to win a bunch of fights.

Zabka said:
Scott and Ramona in the movie were written to be a bad match for each other. They only end up together because movie logic demands it.

The comics are a whole different story though.
That's because they weren't written to end up with each other. :lol Reshoots were done, but the bulk of their interactions are retained from a draft where they split at the end.

butter_stick said:
This is how I feel. The relationships are very glossed over and superficial and the emphasis is on fights, especially in the second half.

black_13 said:
I couldn't even stand listening to him. Way too annoying.
I've never understood why that guy has a big following. He's such a blowhard.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BocoDragon said:
Well... it's A Link to the Past music. Based on how many SNES soundtracks I've listened to off the net over the last 15 years, it's kind of amusing to me to see someone ask where to find that music... but I'll PM you.
I think he wants the movie rendition with the vocals.

Zabka

Krev said:
That's because they weren't written to end up with each other. :lol Reshoots were done, but the bulk of their interactions are retained from a draft where they split at the end.
I am aware. I assumed it was common knowledge by now.

way more

True, the video game never really captivated me. The manga stuff on the other hand worked really well. I guess because having a split screen with animation as a medium to tell a flash back is a unique way of story telling. A pee-bar is just pointless facade.

It's a pretty cool movie it's just a shame they spent so much time focusing on the relationship which was clearly the weakest part. The fights, the music, the band and club stuff was fun and it all looked awesome. It just would've been nice if something was at stakes. Scott soundly defeated each foe without breaking a sweat. Jackie Chan does the same thing but they don't spend 10 minutes telling you about the minions back story.

It was a fun movie but they focused on the wrong thing. I watched The Other Guys and they focus on jokes not the actual crime in question. In Scott Pilgrim stuff kinda slows down when they bring the plot back to the 7 exes. When they go to battle the girl who sings the Metric song there is energy and it's fun but once the fighting starts the plot bogs it down. Ex-#4 isn't vastly different than the previous 3 and it pretty much reminds that there are 3 more and you can only hope they become challenging.

Looking back maybe it was just the weaker exes. In a superhero or fighting movie you need your villains to be memorable. Gideon is slimy and arrogant but what qualities define the others? Why couldn't the other villains be made as bombastic and eye-popping like seemingly everything else in the movie?

Feep

Banned
mac said:
True, the video game never really captivated me. The manga stuff on the other hand worked really well. I guess because having a split screen with animation as a medium to tell a flash back is a unique way of story telling. A pee-bar is just pointless facade.

It's a pretty cool movie it's just a shame they spent so much time focusing on the relationship which was clearly the weakest part. The fights, the music, the band and club stuff was fun and it all looked awesome. It just would've been nice if something was at stakes. Scott soundly defeated each foe without breaking a sweat. Jackie Chan does the same thing but they don't spend 10 minutes telling you about the minions back story.

It was a fun movie but they focused on the wrong thing. I watched The Other Guys and they focus on jokes not the actual crime in question. In Scott Pilgrim stuff kinda slows down when they bring the plot back to the 7 exes. When they go to battle the girl who sings the Metric song there is energy and it's fun but once the fighting starts the plot bogs it down. Ex-#4 isn't vastly different than the previous 3 and it pretty much reminds that there are 3 more and you can only hope they become challenging.

Looking back maybe it was just the weaker exes. In a superhero or fighting movie you need your villains to be memorable. Gideon is slimy and arrogant but what qualities define the others? Why couldn't the other villains be made as bombastic and eye-popping like seemingly everything else in the movie?
This very simply just wasn't your movie. The story is about the relationship, period, and it speaks very powerfully to that end. It was not about the fights, or the video games references, or any of that. The maturation of young adults as they deal with emotional baggage, past lovers, age differences, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom