• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_C

Even though I went to the theatres twice to see it, I decided to look up any more local times if it was in the dollar theatres. I fired up "Movies" on my Galaxy S Vibrant and then:

Not one showing in 200 miles. I just read all of the comics from the local library too.

November 9th cannot come soon enough!

black_13

Banned
Definitely buying the blu-ray. With all the special effects you have to.

Movie is still playing late show at one theater, might just go again since the release is still way off.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
AgentWhiskersX said:
Anyone read this? It's a pretty in-depth analysis/comparison on shooting dialogue and the cuts and transitions that make or break a scene between Edgar Wright's 'Pilgrim' and Christopher Nolan's 'Inception'. The amount of shots Wright films is mind-boggling.

Scott Pilgrim vs. Inception for the Future of Cinematic Imagination

Dude really hated Inception. :lol

Seems kind of disingenuous to compare a two character scene to one with several characters though. You don't have as many choices anyway. There's also the fact Scott Pilgrim tries to replicate the comic and specifically its panel structure.

Weird comparison between the two films. I'm not a big fan of Inception (despite it's god-like cast. More people need to cast Murphy and Watanabe for example) buuuuut it is definitely quite unfair to compare those two scenes.

Totally different styles. Though I will say Edgar Wright's editing is waaaaaaay better than Nolan's shit editing, some of the worst editing out there. No wonder he likes Bay films so much. But Nolan's cinematographer is fantastic.

G-Fex

Discotheque said:
Weird comparison between the two films. I'm not a big fan of Inception (despite it's god-like cast. More people need to cast Murphy and Watanabe for example) buuuuut it is definitely quite unfair to compare those two scenes.

Totally different styles. Though I will say Edgar Wright's editing is waaaaaaay better than Nolan's shit editing, some of the worst editing out there. No wonder he likes Bay films so much. But Nolan's cinematographer is fantastic.

Yes I've enjoyed Wright's way of movie making much much more.

Not to say that Nolan sucks or anything. I like Nolan's style too.

way more

AgentWhiskersX said:
Anyone read this? It's a pretty in-depth analysis/comparison on shooting dialogue and the cuts and transitions that make or break a scene between Edgar Wright's 'Pilgrim' and Christopher Nolan's 'Inception'. The amount of shots Wright films is mind-boggling.

Scott Pilgrim vs. Inception for the Future of Cinematic Imagination

:lol More shots means more better movie. I will not argue that Inception was a better movie than Scott Pilgrim but his reasons are asinine. A tech demo is apparently his idealized movie.

It’s acted: the actors are asked to do more than just give line readings, spiced with the occasional gesture. They react to one another more openly than in Inception, and act more with their faces and their bodies. As a result, each character here has a different, distinct personality, as opposed to Mssrs. Cobb and Miles (who are both, uh, kinda nice but kinda troubled—kinda concerned—guys?);

This guy should go to dinner theater. Maybe they could achieve the level of emoting he wants.

master-thespian-jon-lovitz.jpg

Lovitz demonstrating proper ACTING!@!!!!!

Also, the personality part is funny given the "personalities" of the villains. How would you describe the asian twins personality? Asian?

Or the butch lesbian? Butchy? The vegan was clearly vegan but what else?

The actors’ performances are also tightly choreographed with the camera’s movements. This whole scene had to be carefully storyboarded, and the actors directed where and when to look and move. Neither

More storyboarded means more better movie.

G-Fex

That's his special Wal-mart shopping shirt.

He should really rock the Scott Pilgrim haircut all the time, I really like him with it.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
mac said:
:lol More shots means more better movie. I will not argue that Inception was a better movie than Scott Pilgrim but his reasons are asinine.
More storyboarded means more better movie.
Looks like the point of that comparison flew over your head. Who claimed more shots made for a better movie? It all depends on what you do with those shots. I loved both movies to death, but I personally believe (and this is my opinion) that Edgar Wright is a more versatile and imaginative filmmaker than Nolan is. That's mostly attributed to the fact that I prefer the lightweight, fast-paced, genre-bending style of Wright's movies over the blockbusters and dramatic epics Nolan excels at. There's a lot of love in what Wright does and it shows that he truly is a highly-talented, highly-skilled movie geek. It all ultimately depends on what you prefer. I'm a Wright kind of guy.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
Dear Jason Schwartzman,

Please remove that mustache. You're too good for it.

Sincerely,

A friend

P.S. Tell Cera to destroy that shirt.

Dear MEW,

That dress looks damn good on you.

Sincerely,
Your future boyfriend

mac said:
:lol More shots means more better movie. I will not argue that Inception was a better movie than Scott Pilgrim but his reasons are asinine. A tech demo is apparently his idealized movie.

Wright used that many shots to make it feel more like a comic, in which a cartoonist will almost never "stat" (as we call it in the industry) the exact same shot twice.

It's no Le Samourai, but it's not piddle either.

ezekial45 said:
I was about the to pre-order the blu-ray, but then i noticed there was a price drop.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L20IE2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Should i wait before i order? I don't want to miss anymore price drops.

Amazon gives you whatever the lowest price is. I just bought FFXIV for $74.99 and they lowered the price by like $.52 and I got the refund like 4 days after it was shipped to me :lol

Also it doesn't come out until November, wait for the week of to see what sales are going on.

MNC said:
What do they mean with Digital Copy?

It's an extra disc that gives you a digital copy on your computer. You can then move it to a portable device like an iPhone.

edit: Beat _dementia by a hair. NeoGAF screwed up the order.

way more

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wright used that many shots to make it feel more like a comic, in which a cartoonist will almost never "stat" (as we call it in the industry) the exact same shot twice.

It's no Le Samourai, but it's not piddle either.

Ok. That's makes more sense but that analysis is still simply bizarre. This is a proper scene analysis. http://www.avclub.com/articles/citizen-ruth,40957/

The Pilgrim vs. Inception one is both poorly written and simply embarrassing for the author to conclude that Pilgrim is the future of cinema.

ezekial45

Banned
mac said:
Ok. That's makes more sense but that analysis is still simply bizarre. This is a proper scene analysis. http://www.avclub.com/articles/citizen-ruth,40957/

The Pilgrim vs. Inception one is both poorly written and simply embarrassing for the author to conclude that Pilgrim is the future of cinema.
Exactly. Like I said in the inception thread, it sounds like he's more concerned with discrediting Nolan as a director, while at the same time trying flex some muscles he got from film school or something. It was more ridiculous than intellectual.

The whole time reading it, I was reminded of that scene with the film snob from Annie Hall.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Anonymous Tipster said:
Are there preorders up anywhere for the Combo-pack/Collector's Edition of the movie? I'm not seeing them on Amazon.
There's only one version of the blu-ray and it's easy to find.

You don't think those NES blu-ray covers were real, do you? I wish. They're fan-made.

Went to a midnight screening of the movie last night w Costanza, Edgar Wright and damn near the whole cast minus Schwartzman and Wong were there.

Q&A afterwards was hilarious, Wright was drunk as fuck and someone asked what was in the backpack Cera had on... He pulled out some red spy mask thing and we all chanted "PUT IT ON" and then he wore this red mask for a while.

The big news from this though was that Costanza and Cera were in the same room for the first time, effectively debunking the GAF theory that he actually was Michael Cera.

big ander

polyh3dron said:
Went to a midnight screening of the movie last night w Costanza, Edgar Wright and damn near the whole cast minus Schwartzman and Wong were there.

Q&A afterwards was hilarious, Wright was drunk as fuck and someone asked what was in the backpack Cera had on... He pulled out some red spy mask thing and we all chanted "PUT IT ON" and then he wore this red mask for a while.

The big news from this though was that Costanza and Cera were in the same room for the first time, effectively debunking the GAF theory that he actually was Michael Cera.
Cera/Cos has money. He can afford to hire an actor to play "Costanza."
this sounds fuck awesome

polyh3dron said:

It's not like GAF cares about Costanza anymore. He's long gone now.

equil

I finally saw this movie yesterday. Loved it.

It felt like everything just worked so well. The special effects were, awesome, and i loved the mix of comic book style and the videogame tie ins.

Dead

well not really...yet
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AVV273549
00:09:37:01 (SCOTT PILGRIM V. THE WORLD - SCOTT PILGRIM V. THE OUTTAKES)
00:00:35:24 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 3 - KNIVES MEETS SCOTT)
00:00:28:06 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 8 - KNIVES SAYS GOODBYE)
00:00:38:23 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 23 - ALTERNATIVE STACEY PHONE CALL)
00:00:55:17 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 31 - SCOTT ASKS RAMONA OUT - EXTENDED)
00:02:53:03 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 34 - SCOTT AND RAMONA IN THE PARK - 1ST VERSION)
00:01:14:19 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 34 - SCOTT AND RAMONA IN THE PARK - 2ND VERSION)
00:00:32:02 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 36 - THE MORNING AFTER THE NIGHT BEFORE)
00:00:37:03 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 41 - CRASH AND THE BOYS - EXTRA SONG)
00:00:34:22 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 47 - MY NAME IS MATTHEW PATEL)
00:00:24:22 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 52 - SCOTT AND RAMONA EXTRA BEDROOM SCENE)
00:00:46:07 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 57 - RAMONAS HAIR - EXTENDED)
00:00:42:02 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 74 - NEGASCOTT THE 1ST)
00:00:27:12 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 78 - BASS BATTLE - ORIGINAL ENDING)
00:01:07:15 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 80 - PIZZA PIZZA - EXTENDED)
00:00:28:23 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 82 - NEGASCOTT THE 2ND)
00:01:10:12 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 82 - ROXY FIGHT - ORIGINAL CUT)
00:01:20:02 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 87 - SECOND BUS MONTAGE)
00:01:17:08 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 89 - THIS FIGHT IS OVER)
00:01:04:18 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 94 - FIRST HIPSTER FIGHT - EXTENDED)
00:03:25:14 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 95 AND 96 - DREAM DESERT AND EXTRA LIFE - ORIGINAL)
00:03:02:22 (SCOTT PILGRIM DELETED SCENES - SC. 104 TO 106 - THE ALTERNATIVE ENDING)
00:27:21:10 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - "DELETED SCENES" WITH COMMENTARY)
00:02:37:14 YOU TOO CAN BE IN SEX BOB-OMB!
00:09:05:22 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - DVD - "REHEARSALS")
00:00:47:02 SCOTT PILGRIM PREPRODUCTION - TEASER - UNUSED CONCEPT - APRIL 2009
00:14:59:11 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - DVD - "PRE-PRODUCTION FOOTAGE")
00:14:34:20 SCOTT PILGRIM - VFX BEFORE AND AFTER
00:12:18:08 SCOTT PILGRIM - ALTERNATE SCENE EDITS
00:10:45:11 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - DVD - "HAIR AND MAKE-UP")
00:36:13:03 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - ANIMATICS)
00:05:38:05 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - DVD - "SOUNDWORKS COLLECTION: SOUND FOR FILM PROFILE")
00:03:42:24 SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE ANIMATION
00:16:23:00 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - DVD - "MUSIC FEATURETTE")
00:02:04:22 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - DVD - "MUSIC VIDEOS" - GARBAGE TRUCK)
00:03:22:04 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - DVD - "MUSIC VIDEOS" - BLACK SHEEP)
00:01:47:10 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - DVD - "MUSIC VIDEOS" - THRESHOLD)
00:02:12:19 (SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - DVD - "MUSIC VIDEOS" - SUMMERTIME)

List of most of the special features, minus the commentaries. Alternate ending confirmed to be included :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom