• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
As someone that likes the books...this movie didn't do it for me. It glossed over completely over what I liked about SP, character relationships, and focused on the fights and trying to look cool. Frankly, it looked cheap as fuck most of the time and the only fight I really liked was the one at the very end. Culkin as Wallace was pretty fucking awesome too, I'm indifferent to the rest of the cast. Liked the ending here better than the book, at least. :p

Someone described this movie perfectly a while ago: it's a movie made for nobody.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jett said:
I guess calling it a movie for nobody is harsh. :p
I feel like casting Michael Cera was kinda for nobody though.

The SP fans never really liked the idea of him as Scott. Some looked on the brightside and said "he's the best bankable actor who could play him". Which of course turned out to be false... he wasn't bankable at all. In fact he might have been repellent to the audience that SP deserved.

His actual portrayal of Scott was not bad, though.

jett

D-Member
BocoDragon said:

The SP fans never really liked the idea of him as Scott. Some looked on the brightside and said "he's the best bankable actor who could play him". Which of course turned out to be false... he wasn't bankable at all. In fact he might have been repellent to the audience that SP deserved.

Cera did was he does best. He was inoffensive. SP needed better than that, I never bought him in any of the action scenes.

Oni Jazar said:
So.. should I just pre-order the BD from Amazon or wait for the weekend newspaper for deals?

You should preorder the BD from Amazon, and if you see a better deal in a B&M ad over the weekend, cancel your preorder. They don't charge you until it ships.

Coeliacus

Expendable. said:
It's odd, I completely love the movie while I'm watching it. But after, I don't know how I feel about. I felt the same way about Shaun and Fuzz. Extremely technically impressive, but don't feel much after it is over.
You're a monster! :lol

big_z

Mockingbird said:
Man, I tried but I just couldn't get into this movie. Maybe I'm too old or something -- or just not a hipster.

you're not alone. im about 25 minutes into it and contemplating stopping. movie is atrocious so far, possibly worse than existenz for game related movies. it's not funny or clever, it's like watching a movie made by that kid at gamestop thats blowing his load while trying to impress you with never ending video game bullshit. toss in the cheesy comic stuff and a slathering of hipster and fuck this shit im going go masturbate.

big_z said:
you're not alone. im about 25 minutes into it and contemplating stopping. movie is atrocious so far, possibly worse than existenz for game related movies. it's not funny or clever, it's like watching a movie made by that kid at gamestop thats blowing his load while trying to impress you with never ending video game bullshit. toss in the cheesy comic stuff and a slathering of hipster and fuck this shit im going go masturbate.
yo quit using your phone/netbook in the movie theater
shit's disrespectful to others in the audience

Zeliard

Eh, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I can see how it would grate on some people. (Disclaimer: I haven't read a single Scott Pilgrim comic.)

I appreciated some of the performances quite a bit, especially Kieran Culkin, who was simply superb (the guy needs to make more films). I also thought Mary Elizabeth Winstead nailed her performance as the stereotypically ultra-cool hipster chick.

big ander

big_z said:
Scott Pilgrim is perhaps the one movie where, when I see a comment like this, I feel perfectly justified in saying "You didn't get it."
First of all the hipster stuff: uh, that's pretty realistic now.
The video game and comic stuff: a big part of the lives of a lot of the people that age. The entire movie is told subjectively. In the comics, we're told we're seeing Scotts version of the events. It's the same in the movie.
Actually thinking it's like someone is jacking off to video games is fucking weird.

BocoDragon

big ander said:
Scott Pilgrim is perhaps the one movie where, when I see a comment like this, I feel perfectly justified in saying "You didn't get it."
First of all the hipster stuff: uh, that's pretty realistic now.
The video game and comic stuff: a big part of the lives of a lot of the people that age. The entire movie is told subjectively. In the comics, we're told we're seeing Scotts version of the events. It's the same in the movie.
Actually thinking it's like someone is jacking off to video games is fucking weird.
I don't blame someone for not getting it. It's best enjoyed by a certain type of personality of a certain generation. But you're right, he didn't get it.

Mike G.E.D. said:
Its a movie made for shut-ins. As it turns out, not a viable movie theater demographic
I did my part (took a party of 7 to go see it) various ranges of shut-in in the party with me being the worst case by far :lol

Just saw the movie and it was awesome.
It exceeded my expectations. Its also one of the few movies that I made me feel the need to get the soundtrack.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Mike G.E.D. said:
Its a movie made for shut-ins. As it turns out, not a viable movie theater demographic

Which isn't that totally at odds that this is a hipster movie? Nobody would call hipsters shut-ins.

Anyways I totally get why some people don't get it or didn't like the movie. My GF and I did, but I get that it's not for everyone and that's cool. Only thing I hated was how all over the fuck'n dart board people were in trying to peg just what "type" of movie this is or what "type" of characters the people in the film are.

just saw it as well, on jtv :D :D :D

what a great movie.

i got most of the game references, :lol :lol at that seinfeld bit.

Ramona <3

i have never read a scott pilgrim graphic novel before watching this, i will now.

:lol :lol at
Nega Scott and the conversation for brunch, "we shot the shit"

big_z

i got most of the game references, :lol at that seinfeld bit.

that bit was a disgrace to seinfeld.

anyway i finished the film, not as bad as existenz after all and imo it gets better once the fights start happening... although the last fight was a disappointment. the music was horrible though. any time a band was playing i couldnt help but think i rather be ear fucked by two bears with jack knives for penes.

still not a good film but there are some redeeming qualities. if you're young, a super nerd, hipster or whatever i can see you might enjoy this and i also understand why the flick tanked at the box office.

Salsa

The music was a highlight, man.

I mean the whole music is great, but i think the tracks Beck did for Sex Bob-omb were actually to good for what i had in mind from the novels :lol

Threshold is stuck in my head.

eso76

big_z said:
you're not alone. im about 25 minutes into it and contemplating stopping. movie is atrocious so far, possibly worse than existenz for game related movies. it's not funny or clever,

Funny is subJUNcitve but it's a very clever movie actually. Not talking about the story, which is just nonsensical in an amusing way.
The way it's directed is delicious, original, just full of nice touches. There's a lot of creativity in SP, its cinematography is very imaginative. From this pov it's a much more clever movie than, say
the incredibly overrated
inception, which was directed in a very dull, unoriginal and uninteresting way for most part.
Wright is awesome.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:
watched it. really boring, didn't like it at all.

I like how your post reflects how you felt about the movie.

I loved the film though, and I think the thing I'm most looking forward to on the DVD is the commentaries, I love Edgar Wright's commentary tracks, he has a nice mix of personable and funny anecdotes with some high-geek film buff details, a feat not many directors can pull off successfully. Well worth the price of admission again IMO.

Sapiens

I totally Speed Racer'd this film when I caught the last possible screening of it in my shitty little town.

Worth the price of admission.

One of those stylish/pop-art films you just don't see a lot of these days. Love Edgar Wright.

When is the Bru-Ray coming out??

Monocle

°°ToMmY°° said:
watched it. really boring, didn't like it at all.
You're no longer welcome here. Turn in your nerd card when you leave. (You can keep the glasses if you need them to drive.)

BocoDragon said:

To be fair, though, casting another actor wouldn't have saved the film commercially. The source material is just too niche to ever appeal to a broad audience.

big ander

jett said:
Is it supposed to be good in a it's so bad it's good kind of way? I found the music annoying. The SP game has better music.
The hell not at all. The soundtrack is like 50% Beck, and it has tracks from the Stones and Metric. The score is super awesome thanks to Nigel Godrich.
The game music didn't do a lot for me.

Sex Bob-OMB doesn't suck though. Summertime and Threshold are awesome songs. Garbage Truck is purposefully really distorted and messy but it's not that awful.

Salsa

BocoDragon

Music is utterly subjective.

I actually kind of agree that Sex Bomb-Omb is supposed to sound like a mediocre garage band. Not "bad" per se, but certainly crude rock music. It's enjoyable in its own way.

big ander

tumblr_lb4hp6QtIq1qzde9lo1_500.gif

tumblr_lb3bbomJAV1qzg8hbo1_500.gif

seriously I can't deal with this right now I'm getting the fuck out

elwes

jett said:
Cera did was he does best. He was inoffensive. SP needed better than that, I never bought him in any of the action scenes.

This was my biggest issue with Cera playing Scott. Scott is not the most likable guy in the world. He's lazy, whiny, disillusioned with the world and the people he surrounds himself with, and he's kind of a jerk who doesn't really care about the people that he hurts.

The whole point of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels is that he mans up and takes responsibility for his mistakes and actions and turns his life around.

Cera's Pilgrim is annoying and whiny, but he isn't a bad guy. Maybe a little aloof to his surroundings, but not really an asshole. His personality is too passive aggressive to do the graphic novel's SP justice. When the "epiphany" happens to Cera's SP, it's not as dramatic and meaningful.

Also, to anyone who hasn't seen the movie or read any of the graphic novels, see the movie first, then read the graphic novels. I had read the first two graphic novels and loved the movie. When I read the graphic novels after the fact, I appreciated them much more than I think I would have appreciated the movie if I had read all six graphic novels beforehand. Just my 2 cents.

Salsa

BocoDragon said:
Music is utterly subjective.

I actually kind of agree that Sex Bomb-Omb is supposed to sound like a mediocre garage band. Not "bad" per se, but certainly crude rock music. It's enjoyable in its own way.

Yeah, im kidding about it being too good for the movie. Beck really nailed it. Its good music, its just lousy played.

elwes said:
The whole point of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels is that he mans up and takes responsibility for his mistakes and actions and turns his life around.

Dude this is clearly what happens at the end of the movie.

Although like i said, it felt rushed.

BocoDragon

SalsaShark said:
Yeah, im kidding about it being too good for the movie. Beck really nailed it. Its good music, its just lousy played.
IMO, I bet Beck's instructions were something like "make 'good' shitty garage band music".

big ander

elwes said:
Also, to anyone who hasn't seen the movie or read any of the graphic novels, see the movie first, then read the graphic novels. I had read the first two graphic novels and loved the movie. When I read the graphic novels after the fact, I appreciated them much more than I think I would have appreciated the movie if I had read all six graphic novels beforehand. Just my 2 cents.
Your advice is probably right, but personally I read all 6 before seeing the movie. I still adore the film, but the graphic novels are near perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom