• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really could not enjoy Cera in orginal version. He felt way to kiddo, imature and shrill.

In french canadian voice over, he sounds way more like a grown up teenage, less like a 14 years old douch.

First time in ages... I liked french version better.

Well the songs they actually do int the movie are decent but yeah SB is supposed to suck, making Steven Still's place as 'The Talent' even funnier. I think in the comic it even says, 'hey, play along at home with Sex Bomb-omb (cause they kinda suck and only know two chords)'

edit: ^^^ yeah I don't know what's up with that but I'm convinced Cera is 'doing a voice' the whole movie like he's trying to sound a bit younger and more whiny then himself. It's too bad too, because I don't think it was needed.

Also I never really Scoot was a 'jerk' in the comic, just selfish. He really doesn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings but he doesn't think about other people or include them in what he does. I thought that aspect of the character came through rather well in the movie.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
brotkasten said:
Playing 'good music' clearly wasn't the point.

He says it himself.

Ramona: "You have a band?"

Scott: "Yeah.. we're terrible.."

Obviously he's being modest... but at the same time he recognizes that he's just another young fool with a garage band.

BobTheFork said:
edit: ^^^ yeah I don't know what's up with that but I'm convinced Cera is 'doing a voice' the whole movie like he's trying to sound a bit younger and more whiny then himself. It's too bad too, because I don't think it was needed.
I think he's going for "douchey" (which is perfect for the character) but it just comes across as "sheepish".

elwes

SalsaShark said:
Dude this is clearly what happens at the end of the movie.

I know this. The point that I was trying to make is that the change he undergoes in the movie doesn't seem as vast as it does in the graphic novel due to the way Cera plays him.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
elwes said:
I know this. The point that I was trying to make is that the change he undergoes in the movie doesn't seem as vast as it does in the graphic novel due to the way Cera plays him.
I felt Cera manages it fine given the movie's circumstances (the events unfold in a much smaller timespan of maybe a week or two, as opposed to over a year in the novels).

Otherwise, I'd agree with you.

I initially was put off by the Sex Bob-omb songs, but now I love them. Especially the opening one, makes me think of the incredible opening credits.

big ander said:
:lol she's hilarious in the weirdest way. Example B, her twitter feed tonight: http://twitter.com/#!/evilhag
:lol

Thanks for the link. I found useful information and it's amaaaazing. :D

5114975374_f1bb3d7a28_b.jpg

To celebrate the upcoming DVD / BluRay release I am very happy to announce a signing and FREE screening of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World in Toronto.

To say thank you to the fans who have supported us and thank you to the residents of Toronto who put up with a lot of fake snow, I am very excited to be coming back to Bloor & Bathurst for a one off special screening. Join me, Bryan Lee O’Malley and Toronto’s home town badass Ellen Wong first at HMV and then the Bloor on November 5th.

Prizes, surprises and an exclusive screening of the hour long Making Of Documentary and more.

And it’s free. First come, first served.
Scott Pilgrim Returns to Toronto! November 5th, 2010 ~ Bloor Cinema 7pm

I won't be able to make it for the signing so I won't be able to get free passes for the screening. :(

Hopefully, I can get them through the Beguiling.

Hmm...

DoctorWho said:
I won't be able to make it for the signing so I won't be able to get free passes for the screening. :(

Hopefully, I can get them through the Beguiling.

Hmm...
Ya, I'm trying through them too. I have no desire to line-up for four hours.

Julie <3 <3

totally forgot that Anne "egg/her" was in the movie , she looked good :D

:lol Wallace , that guy rules

watching it on jtv , there were about 1000+ viewers , overall it had a great reaction, although most called it a hipster movie :lol smh

well they are replaying it on jtv now.

so many shots fired :lol i'll post some of what they said.

"whats the target audience for this shit"

"this movie is trying too hard"

:this movie is cheesy

» but it has its moments"

" omg..this movie has gone down the jackie chan genre

» with bits of iron man

» tss tss" :lol :lol

:(

watching it now http://www.justin.tv/hagar__#/w/513784720/3 :D

MNC

I loved the movie, but I'm in the pacing is fucked camp. It went too fast and could've done with another half an hour for just a few bits.

MNC said:
I loved the movie, but I'm in the pacing is fucked camp. It went too fast and could've done with another half an hour for just a few bits.
I think it would've been better if they made two movies. But of course, there's no way anyone would fund a project like that. I'm still surprised Universal gave Wright $60M for this (and it's probably the last time).

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
DonasaurusRex said:
i enjoyed the movie but now i want more....was that the entirety of the comics story or is there more?

Oh no, there's a lot more in the comics, they had to trim the excess off for the film.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Jill Sandwich said:
Oh no, there's a lot more in the comics, they had to trim the excess off for the film.

i see , but was the movie end like the end of the comics as well or are there more stories past the deadly ex story line.

MNC

brotkasten said:
I think it would've been better of they made two movies. But of course, there's no way anyone would fund a project like that. I'm still surprised Universal gave Wright $60M for this (and it's probably the last time).
It's a shame really, because it really still is a good movie and Wright has dun good.

The strange thing is, while I did expect a better movie pacing wise, I still liked it, and I can't help but keep wanting to rewatch pieces. The whole movie was such a fucking thrill to watch, it was amazing and in the end, my first thought was "Wow, holy shit, what a ride." and I had to process it all :lol And I wanted to watch it again.

big ander

friskykillface said:
well they are replaying it on jtv now.

so many shots fired :lol i'll post some of what they said.

"whats the target audience for this shit"

"this movie is trying too hard"

:this movie is cheesy

» but it has its moments"

" omg..this movie has gone down the jackie chan genre

» with bits of iron man

» tss tss" :lol :lol

:(

watching it now http://www.justin.tv/hagar__#/w/513784720/3 :D
Fucking a man buy the movie, it already did awful at the box office, don't help that out by watching it for free on a shitty ass streaming site.

big ander

DonasaurusRex said:
i see , but was the movie end like the end of the comics as well or are there more stories past the deadly ex story line.
They didn't truncate the film and cut out stuff that the later books don't have. What they did was cut out a lot of the down time between ex-fights. There are other storylines that run parallel to the ex-fights with other characters that weren't in the movie, but it's not like the 3rd graphic novel is where Scott travels to the past and fights dinosaurs to get to Ramona.

BocoDragon

Even though the movie and books cover the same story, I'd say the depth of the books definitely provide "further adventures" for those craving more after the film.

bathala

Banned
finally saw this hipster movie and.....

its really fun movie. I really like the fight scenes. my favorite was Routh.
when it was the final battle, it felt like it was getting drag.

big ander

bathala said:
finally saw this hipster movie and.....

its really fun movie. I really like the fight scenes. my favorite was Routh.
when it was the final battle, it felt like it was getting drag.
I understand the people who thought it kinda wears on you. The film really doesn't let up.

alright doods, who can tell me what the best version of this is for Blu-Ray (UK)? I looked on HMV's website but they've got various different versions for similar prices, so I got confused, as I do.

ezekial45

Banned
Zeliard said:
Haven't taken a look at this yet, but Guillermo Del Toro generally stridently defends and praises video games. It's pretty neat to watch.

Yeah, he's great. Hopefully, his game will turn out ok, given his ridiculously busy schedule.

Regarding, i'm glad that Edgar mentioned Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, because Gideon Gordon Graves seemed to have some influences from Ronny "Z-Man" Barzell in that movie.

These are really interesting videos. I'm hoping theres more on the blu-ray.

BocoDragon

Fusebox said:
Just saw this. Really didn't like the comic, however I thoroughly fucking enjyed the movie. Terrific fun.
Odd (most think the opposite, if anything)... but good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom