• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
tumblr_l725beuRKx1qael43o1_500.png
....Is that a head under her skirt

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Looks like some fans have set up a website in order to build support for a Japanese release of the film.

http://scottpilgrimjp.web.fc2.com/

I always thought it was odd that no release was considered. Classic game appreciation is more mainstream over there than it is here. I wanted to see how the Japanese reacted to a Canadian-American-British take on mostly Japanese game tropes.

Ok, so I just watched the Japanese trailer. Those subtitles were moving way too fast. I actually liked the trailer, it was like watching the film without all the filler. Is that a good thing or bad? Eh, it would of been cool if they had filmed a TON, then created an extended edition like they did for LOTR. A true to the comic version, robots and all (seriously, they didn't even mention the drummer).

jett

D-Member
BocoDragon said:
Looks like some fans have set up a website in order to build support for a Japanese release of the film.

I always thought it was odd that no release was considered. Classic game appreciation is more mainstream over there than it is here. I wanted to see how the Japanese reacted to a Canadian-American-British take on mostly Japanese game tropes.

What's the point, can't they just import the blu-ray?

thefro

BocoDragon said:

Hironobu Sakaguchi really seemed to love it... he's been tweeting about it since he watched it a couple days ago.

derFeef

Lionel Mandrake said:
Home Alone 2 was on TV today, and I suddenly made the connection.

Not really mindblowing, but I never realized it.
Wat, they look all the same. The younger one was in Signs, too ;)

I realized that he was a Culkin, but I wasn't familiar with his other credits. I never noticed that there was another Culkin brother in Home Alone until today.

Afrodium

Banned
So I just saw this film for a second time at my university, and I was really confused. They ran the movie through a VHS player, and beforehand it had a warning that the film had been modified to feet a TV screen. The film was in horrible quality (probably due to the VHS player) and in full screen. Does a full screen version of this movie even exist? Sometimes it was pan and scan, with certain parts cut off, and other times it would be anamorphic to fit the whole wide shot into the frame. It was terrible, and I had no idea such a thing existed. Does anyone have any idea how my school got a hold of this?

daegan

Afrodium said:
Does a full screen version of this movie even exist? Sometimes it was pan and scan, with certain parts cut off, and other times it would be anamorphic to fit the whole wide shot into the frame.

SP uses a lot of aspect ratio changes.

Afrodium

Banned
daegan said:
SP uses a lot of aspect ratio changes.
I know, I saw the movie when it was in theaters. This was a full screen version, it even had the standard "this film has been formatted to fit your television screen" warning at the beginning. The text boxes and other effects, such as the "level up" when Scott gets the swords, were cut out of frame. It was really odd.

big ander

Afrodium said:
I know, I saw the movie when it was in theaters. This was a full screen version, it even had the standard "this film has been formatted to fit your television screen" warning at the beginning. The text boxes and other effects, such as the "level up" when Scott gets the swords, were cut out of frame. It was really odd.
Unfortunately, it's like that on my DVD too. I'm hoping it's not that way on the BD.
Wait a second though. Did you say you have Scott Pilgrim on VHS? VHS????

big ander said:
Unfortunately, it's like that on my DVD too. I'm hoping it's not that way on the BD.

Wave of the future. The concept of rewinding tape blows my mind-grapes.

jediyoshi

Afrodium said:
Sometimes it was pan and scan, with certain parts cut off, and other times it would be anamorphic to fit the whole wide shot into the frame.

As long as you're not talking about the scenes where they deliberately do that, that sounds crazy :lol

Battersea Power Station said:
Just watched this. Awesome visual style, of course, but the movie is pretty bad.

The first half just dragged on and on. It started picking up a little starting with Knives' highlights, but even then there were a lot of dull moments. I dunno; I guess its sense of humor didn't match up with mine. Also, Michael Cera didn't do the movie any favors. A comic book hero has to be sincere at times, and Cera can't sell sincere at all. He's just always the doofy, aloof dude.

The G-Man bits are good. And, again, the visuals are great. The concept had/has a lot of potential.

Pretty close to my own thoughts. I wouldn't call the movie bad but it's not good either. It's just kinda bleh.

Things I loved:

-Visual style, as you said, is fucking amazing. Just a beautifully done movie.

-Supporting cast. The gay roommate, the two girlfriends, the evil exes he has to fight, the lead singer's gf that seems to pester him all the time. Chris Evans as Lucas Lee. Scott's sister. Jason Schwartzman. Freaking awesome all around.

Things I hated:

-Michael Cera/Scott Pilgrim. Don't get me wrong, I think Cera has awesome comedic timing and charm which is why he was so good in Arrested Development. When he's cast right, he works perfectly. Scott Pilgrim was not a role that should have gone to him. He just wasn't a likable character and it took away from the film to see a character played like a hopeless loser who's all of a sudden punching guys 50 feet into the air or taking out a bunch of stunt doubles. I understand the whole "journey of the loser to hero" story. It's been done time and time again. The problem is, you need to believe the guy will become a likable hero at the end, that he has some untapped potential. It just never happened in SPvstW and Cera as Scott just never felt likable. I think the fact that the rest of the cast was perfect makes this so much more apparent to me.

-Plot/dialog. I did some research into the comic after watching the movie so I know what they used and what they had to cut and just get a better idea of the source. I actually think they should have made a few more cuts to be honest. For instance, when Scott asks Ramona how she got to his place so fast, she says that she used a portal that passed through his dreams....and it's never mentioned or seen again. Now, after reading about the comic, I realize the whole portal thing was done more frequently but if you're not going to use it in the movie, why even mention it? When I first saw that, I thought it was supposed to be some kind of sarcastic witty comment from her that kind of fell flat. Then I read that in the comic, she could actually do that shit. Ugh.... Plus, the entire first half kind of just drags along whereas the second half is much more interesting. They could have fixed the pacing.

So yeah. Just kind of a bland movie that looks amazing. One of those movies I wish I could love but I don't. At all.

big ander said:

Bootleg, I would assume. Particularly since it seems cut off in areas. I have no idea where you can even get current movies on VHS, or if they even make them.

big ander

The Shadow said:
Pretty close to my own thoughts. I wouldn't call the movie bad but it's not good either. It's just kinda bleh.

Things I loved:

-Visual style, as you said, is fucking amazing. Just a beautifully done movie.

-Supporting cast. The gay roommate, the two girlfriends, the evil exes he has to fight, the lead singer's gf that seems to pester him all the time. Chris Evans as Lucas Lee. Scott's sister. Jason Schwartzman. Freaking awesome all around.

Things I hated:

-Michael Cera/Scott Pilgrim. Don't get me wrong, I think Cera has awesome comedic timing and charm which is why he was so good in Arrested Development. When he's cast right, he works perfectly. Scott Pilgrim was not a role that should have gone to him. He just wasn't a likable character and it took away from the film to see a character played like a hopeless loser who's all of a sudden punching guys 50 feet into the air or taking out a bunch of stunt doubles. I understand the whole "journey of the loser to hero" story. It's been done time and time again. The problem is, you need to believe the guy will become a likable hero at the end, that he has some untapped potential. It just never happened in SPvstW and Cera as Scott just never felt likable. I think the fact that the rest of the cast was perfect makes this so much more apparent to me.

-Plot/dialog. I did some research into the comic after watching the movie so I know what they used and what they had to cut and just get a better idea of the source. I actually think they should have made a few more cuts to be honest. For instance, when Scott asks Ramona how she got to his place so fast, she says that she used a portal that passed through his dreams....and it's never mentioned or seen again. Now, after reading about the comic, I realize the whole portal thing was done more frequently but if you're not going to use it in the movie, why even mention it? When I first saw that, I thought it was supposed to be some kind of sarcastic witty comment from her that kind of fell flat. Then I read that in the comic, she could actually do that shit. Ugh.... Plus, the entire first half kind of just drags along whereas the second half is much more interesting. They could have fixed the pacing.

So yeah. Just kind of a bland movie that looks amazing. One of those movies I wish I could love but I don't. At all.

Bootleg, I would assume. Particularly since it seems cut off in areas. I have no idea where you can even get current movies on VHS, or if they even make them.
Scotts not supposed to be likable. He's supposed to be a lazy unthinking and awkward jerk. I think Cera pulls it off.
And the portals are used plenty of times. Doors with stars on em?

I think it would have been really, really cool if they did what Walk Hard did, and have Sex Bob-Omb "tour" to promote the movie. Since the gang was almost always together while they were doing special screenings, that could have (and should have!) easily happened.

big ander

XiaNaphryz said:
Not in the movie, which was what he's saying.
But they are in the movie?
Ramona and Scott use one to go to Ramona's after Hillcrest Park. They enter one at the end of the film. And I feel like showing Ramona in the sort of in-between so many times and then showing the portals twice is more than sufficient.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
big ander said:
But they are in the movie?
He's saying there wasn't enough use of subspace travel in the movie to bother keeping the doors in the film. Because the books used them much more often, it makes more sense there. He's saying you can get away not having them in the movie.

big ander

XiaNaphryz said:
He's saying there wasn't enough use of subspace travel in the movie to bother keeping the doors in the film. Because the books used them much more often, it makes more sense there. He's saying you can get away not having them in the movie.
Nope, he said they were mentioned by Ramona but never seen or mentioned again.
For instance, when Scott asks Ramona how she got to his place so fast, she says that she used a portal that passed through his dreams....and it's never mentioned or seen again.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
IMO the deal with subspace in the movie is that that they intentionally didn't explain it, so you could choose to see it as purely stylistic or metaphorical. There's a reason why they didn't elaborate on it.

In general, they almost never made light of the insane things that happen, so you wouldn't take it too seriously.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
big ander said:
Nope, he said they were mentioned by Ramona but never seen or mentioned again.
In a way, he's right. The star doors were never stated as being what lead to the subspace tunnels. All that's ever described about subspace is Ramona saying there's a convenient one in Scott's head, so if a connection was going to be made it would be the desert dream and not the doors - so actually, you are right since we do see the desert dream again. ;P

Not to say that you've never read the books, but Scott is (spoilers for the books)
not that likable. A lot of the plot is basically that Scott is a huge jerk that thought very highly of himself, trying to ignore anything wrong he had ever done and wrapping it up in "Nega Scott." Scott eventually realizes that a lot of his problems stem from himself, and that a lot of others' problems as well. In fact, you could argue that the only reason why the Nega Scott scene in the film is so different is because Scott had already come to terms with his misdeeds, and as such, had no need to fight his nega.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
threshold is such a good song.

and that was definitely the coolest part in the movie

man i want a scott pilgrim game like the movie so bad

-COOLIO- said:

Agreed. The TBotB between the two bands was awesome, though it lost a little of what made the Twins awesome in the book.

MNC

-COOLIO- said:

You know of the beat m up game right? Has great music, fun gameplay...? It follows the storyline but you don't play the exact stuff as the movie per se.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MNC said:
You know of the beat m up game right? Has great music, fun gameplay...? It follows the storyline but you don't play the exact stuff as the movie per se.
i know about it but im craving something more like 'no more heroes' with an aesthetic more akin to the movie.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I wanted to see this in the theater but never made it. With it coming out in mass today on dvd/bluray I rented it from redbox and man I really didn't like it at all. The whole movie just comes off as annoying and yes, it really seems to try way to hard to be "hip? I didn't mind any of the actors (even Cera) but I wonder what Edgar Wright was trying to do. Was he trying to relate too much to the comics (the overuse of text to tell us about everything/everyone was annoying). My opinion is coming from someone who never read the comic so I certainly could not be in the target audience but I honestly really, really didn't like it. Im glad people like it and I kinda do like what is was trying to do but man I just couldn't get into it (except for how adorable Anna Hendricks was ;) (.

Altazor

A Link to the Snitch said:
Agreed. The TBotB between the two bands was awesome, though it lost a little of what made the Twins awesome in the book.

the Twins were really fuckin' evil in the book, IMHO, just second to Gideon in terms of "evil"... and I thought it was kinda sad how they were a non-entity in the movie, but I guess I understand why it was done that way.

big ander

Pelydr said:
I wanted to see this in the theater but never made it. With it coming out in mass today on dvd/bluray I rented it from redbox and man I really didn't like it at all. The whole movie just comes off as annoying and yes, it really seems to try way to hard to be "hip? I didn't mind any of the actors (even Cera) but I wonder what Edgar Wright was trying to do. Was he trying to relate too much to the comics (the overuse of text to tell us about everything/everyone was annoying). My opinion is coming from someone who never read the comic so I certainly could not be in the target audience but I honestly really, really didn't like it. Im glad people like it and I kinda do like what is was trying to do but man I just couldn't get into it (except for how adorable Anna Hendricks was ;) (.
Eh, I can't explain any more than I already have in this topic, but I truly think it's just made for certain people. I think I'm the exact target audience, which is why it's my top movie of the decade.

I don't understand how it can be anyone's top movie of the year, let alone decade. Opinions and such, but the fact they could just easily switch between two endings to me shows the plot is ultimately too shallow to be worthy of that kind of praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom