• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hey Veidt, I just tried to run your upload through Handbrake to get to MP4 (stock settings), and the audio got corrupted during the encode. Any ideas?

harSon

Banned
I wish I could go back in time and punch Edgar Wright in the face before he decided to cast Cera, if it wasn't for him, this movie would probably be perfect. I just can't get over him as Pilgrim no matter how hard I try, which is fairly significant considering it was the characters and nerd references that made the comics, not necessarily the story which was serviceable at best. Outside of that it looks amazing, and visually, it reminds me of Speed Racer which is an awesome thing.

Tucah

you speak so well
Looks perfect. Cera seems to be pulling off Scott fine from the trailers, and Edgar Wright is SUCH a good choice to direct the movie. Easily my most anticipated movie of this lukewarm summer.

EDIT: Except maybe Inception. I totally forgot about that :lol

Dali

Damn this movie looks awesome. About a month ago I watched the first trailer for this, then right after I watched a Kick Ass trailer. How anyone could have been more hyped for that than this boggles my mind.

wwm0nkey

harSon said:
I wish I could go back in time and punch Edgar Wright in the face before he decided to cast Cera, if it wasn't for him, this movie would probably be perfect. I just can't get over him as Pilgrim no matter how hard I try, which is fairly significant considering it was the characters and nerd references that made the comics, not necessarily the story which was serviceable at best. Outside of that it looks amazing, and visually, it reminds me of Speed Racer which is an awesome thing.
I didnt like him in the first trailer but this one made me change my mind.

harSon

Banned
Tucah said:
Looks perfect. Cera seems to be pulling off Scott fine from the trailers, and Edgar Wright is SUCH a good choice to direct the movie. Easily my most anticipated movie of this lukewarm summer.

EDIT: Except maybe Inception. I totally forgot about that :lol

He really isn't. The absolute only time his style of delivery is appropriate to the Scott Pilgrim character, would be the beginning of the graphic novel when his character has awkward moments with Ramona, which he pulls of rather nicely in the trailer. Outside of that, his acting is literally in direct conflict with the character.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Completely miscast. From what i understand the lead is supposed to be a nerd with balls. Michael Cera can't sell the "I'm gonna do a crazy first move to get that hot girl on a date".

Sorry.

Aside from that, it looks interesting.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
WrikaWrek said:
Completely miscast. From what i understand the lead is supposed to be a nerd with balls. Michael Cera can't sell the "I'm gonna do a crazy first move to get that hot girl on a date".

Sorry.

brilliant insight from a guy who hasn't read the books nor seen the movie

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Enough early reviews of the film stating that Cera's acting is fine in this is enough for me. Though granted it's not unanimous as a few who've seen it still think Cera's too Cera.

wwm0nkey

WrikaWrek said:

Sorry.

You might want to read the comics before you judge......

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
XiaNaphryz said:
Hey Veidt, I just tried to run your upload through Handbrake to get to MP4 (stock settings), and the audio got corrupted during the encode. Any ideas?
Same happened to me too. I have no idea what's up with that.
My upload is the same exact file I'd downloaded from the apple site.

WrikaWrek

Banned
jon bones said:
brilliant insight from a guy who hasn't read the books nor seen the movie

I'm judging the trailer based on the story the trailer tells.

That's what trailers are for. Sorry, would it be more appropriate if i said that it looks amazing and that Cera looks awesome in it?

Would that be brilliant enough of an insight?

I'll stick with my previous opinion. Cera looks bad in the trailer.

wwm0nkey

WrikaWrek said:

That's what trailers are for. Sorry, would it be more appropriate if i said that it looks amazing and that Cera looks awesome in it?

it would be better if you understood the story that the comics go for rather than a trailer.

ezekial45

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i've watched all the trailers, i want to be excited, but i don't think i understand what this movie is going for.
It's just supposed to be a fun movie with loaded with geek humor. Don't over think it!

jett

D-Member
Cera's Scott is nothing like Scott in the comics from what I've seen in the trailers, but what we have here is not awful. It's just not Scott Pilgrim.

He can do better/different than this though, if Youth in Revolt is any indication.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the trailers are cool looking but don't touch the sheer awesomeness of the movie. it's like they cut the trailers so cera is more cera-like than scott-like. have faith, everyone.

WrikaWrek

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
it would be better if you understood the story that the comics go for rather than a trailer.

I'm pretty sure the movie is made for people who haven't read the comics also. And i'm sure the trailer is too.

I'm not gonna read the comics just to be able to judge the good and the bad of a trailer.

harSon

Banned
I've read the comic and from what I've seen in the trailers, I'm going to have to agree with his sentiment. I like Scott Pilgrim as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to go out of my way to forgive a glaring fault if it deserves criticizing...

wwm0nkey

jon bones said:
the trailers are cool looking but don't touch the sheer awesomeness of the movie. it's like they cut the trailers so cera is more cera-like than scott-like. have faith, everyone.
Considering you have seen the movie I shall believe you :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ezekial45 said:
It's just supposed to be a fun movie with loaded with geek humor. Don't over think it!

yeah, i feel that man. i'm going to say this with the caveat that i'm obviously still interested for a few reasons and i will definitely give it the old college try, but my knee jerk reaction when i watch the trailers is that it looks way too affected and borderline stupid. i'm going in with an open mind, though, as i actually really like a lot of the actors--including cera--and obviously i think edgar wright is totally boss.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Looks like shit.

It seems like people who read the comic understand what is going on, but to someone like me who hasn't. It looks like some nerd decided to make a high production youtube video.

At best I'll give it a rental mainly for Wright.

wwm0nkey

shintoki said:
Looks like shit.

It seems like people who read the comic understand what is going on, but to someone like me who hasn't. It looks like some nerd decided to make a high production youtube video.

well atleast read the comics, they are great.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wwm0nkey said:
well atleast read the comics, they are great.

I've been trying and I don't really get it. something about them makes it hard for me to follow, I keep looking at all the girls and not knowing which one is which.

Fowler

Holy shit. Check out the first shot of Stephen Stills, when Scott's talking to Julie. He is PERFECT. Even the expression on his face matches.

ezekial45

Banned
beelzebozo said:
yeah, i feel that man. i'm going to say this with the caveat that i'm obviously still interested for a few reasons and i will definitely give it the old college try, but my knee jerk reaction when i watch the trailers is that it looks way too affected and borderline stupid. i'm going in with an open mind, though, as i actually really like a lot of the actors--including cera--and obviously i think edgar wright is totally boss.

Thats fine. Just give it chance.

shintoki said:
Looks like shit.

I'm looking at your AV and i'm inclined to believe that the movie would've been right up your alley. The movie is incredibly stylized and exaggerated, just like the comic, and it looks amazing seeing it all in live-action.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Gunstarheroes said:
This will truly but everything else this summer to shame. Yes, maybe even Inception.
what have you done

Chao

catfish said:
I've been trying and I don't really get it. something about them makes it hard for me to follow, I keep looking at all the girls and not knowing which one is which.
Why? They look pretty different from each other. the ones who I recall looking the same are Knives Chau... and her sister.

Bit-Bit

WrikaWrek said:

Sorry.

Wrong. Scott spends most of the book moping around. It's only when he get's into fights is when he becomes a total badass. And even then he sometimes don't really even pay attention to the fight because he has other things going on in his mind.

Dartastic

Bit-Bit said:
Wrong. Scott spends most of the book moping around. It's only when he get's into fights is when he becomes a total badass. And even then he sometimes don't really even pay attention to the fight because he has other things going on in his mind.

Exactly. I think Cera looks good, and obviously his star power is going to bring more people to the flick. Nothing wrong with that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's kind of amazing how close are all the actresses to their comicbook counterparts. The cast is great for the most part, but the girls are just terrific.

Blair

Banned
Bit-Bit said:

He mopes around but is still highly extroverted. I hope Cera can pull that off, these trailers are not fully convincing me, but i've read people talking about him in early reviews and they say he does a good job, so i'm still hyped.

And i love Cera, i think he was one of the funniest characters on AD.

jett

D-Member
catfish said:

First book is the worst. It gets way better after it.

WrikaWrek said:

But then you're judging the trailer against the book you haven't read. What does it matter what the character of Scott is like in the books if you haven't read them?

And you're wrong either way because Scott is a pretty insecure character most of the time, especially before he and Ramona get serious. Cera seems to play him just as good as anyone I could imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom