• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

noisome07

Banned
Ceebs said:
A gif of Kim shooting herself with her finger must be made.

jibril (aka veidt, terrible name) is sportin that at this very moment

j0ZMR.gif

Danielsan

Google said:
Why?

Kids want to see films with Cera in, because he made Juno and Superbad.

Not because he starred in Arrested Development when he was 15.
I believe Year One and Youth In Revolt did pretty damn poorly.

Google

Danielsan said:
I believe Year One and Youth In Revolt did pretty damn poorly.

Whats your point? The typical teenager cares little for the quality of a movie - all they want to know is that it has the guy from Superbad in it...

Much was the case with Sean William-Scott for 10 fucking years!

Salsa

I think the facebook thing they did was right, they do need stuff like that to promote the movie. Now out of those 100k people probably a few who never knew about the film might wanna check it out. Thats why i wasnt complaining.

harSon

Banned
Google said:
Whats your point? The typical teenager cares little for the quality of a movie - all they want to know is that it has the guy from Superbad in it...

I think he's trying to say that Cera's box office appeal is overrated, which I'm inclined to agree with.

Danielsan

Google said:

I'm not talking about the quality, I'm saying that those movies didn't draw a lot of people to the theaters.
And when you say "guy from Superbad" everyone automatically thinks McLovin and not Micheal Cera.

Apparently:

Youth in Revolt:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $15,281,286 83.6%
+ Foreign: $2,996,322 16.4%
Production Budget: $18 million

Year One:
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $43,337,279 69.5%
+ Foreign: $19,020,621 30.5%
Production Budget: $60 million

They barely made their production budget back.
So where is this magical Micheal Cera box office draw?

Google

Danielsan said:
And when you say "guy from Superbad" everyone automatically thinks McLovin and not Micheal Cera.

Who's everyone?

I always love this anecdotal evidence you guys bring up. Citing assumed information from no source is always a great way to start your arguments!

Your two-bit argument is more worthwhile than a hugely successful (and popular) director?

Haunted

I first thought there was some artifacting/compression going on in the trailer when one of the exes (forgot his name, been a while since I read the comics) brings out the blue sword.

Upon re-watching, I see that it's an intentional [8-bit] pixel-effect. Outstanding.

Cera is not going to draw people to this movie. And the trailers are just going to scare away most everyone outside of young teen hipsters

Costanza

Banned
There is a beautiful and charming way in which Cera commands the comedic punchline-heavy comic strip dialog in this picture, and his youthful innocence shines through in a way that it never could have in say, Nick & Nora's Infamous Shamefest.

YES. MOVIE OF THE FUCKING FOREVER.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
really hope they listen to that guy and cut down the matthew patel fight. Worst representation of a brown dude ever. Could have been much cooler or much funnier (make him a full on Neil Patel stereotype)

Ashhong

AgentWhiskersX said:
Are you on a Mac or a PC? On my MacBook Pro, right clicking and saving the file only saves the URL. When I double click that URL it opens the streaming version of the trailer. Can't save Apple trailers. =/

Sorry, went to sleep. Im on a macbook pro too. dont rick click the link above, that only takes u to the apple site. go all the way to the trailer page, then right click the size u want

Ri'Orius

Haunted said:
I first thought there was some artifacting/compression going on in the trailer when one of the exes (forgot his name, been a while since I read the comics) brings out the blue sword.

Upon re-watching, I see that it's an intentional [8-bit] pixel-effect. Outstanding.

That's
Gideon

And it looks like Rammy's hammer has a similar effect on it. In... triguing....

MNC

Trailer started out.

I was giddy, but some of the dialogue didn't play out as well as I imagined them to be in my mind when I read the book - scott and wallace. It gets more awesome. All the visual vg cues are so fucking amazing. Music swells, action swells, this movie is gonna fucking rock.

SHIT YES.

Love how the music+ sound effects are in sync/rhythm. Back to reading them AGAIN :lol

Wes

venison crêpe
I actually preferred the first trailer to this recent one. Still looking forward to the release all the same.

MNC

Also MEW halfnekkid is always good.

IMO about casting:

Scott is still okay, I'm starting to get attached to Cera.
Wallace's line delivery isn't that convincing. Doesn't exactly feel Wallace-y.
Julie is amazing.
MEW is amazing. the part after Lisa goes "what?!" about the 7 ex boyfriends, where they all look at her; the look on her face is just about an exact copy of the book. So good.
Young Neil, Kim Pine and Knives all look and act pretty terrific like their comic book counterparts. Hardly any Stephen Stills in the trailer but he looks good.
Exes look great, too.

Am I missing something? Why does the girl that is presumably knives look like she's 30?

Edit: Err, according to IMDB they have someone cast as Mama Chau, so I guess that might be her fighting Ramona? Instead of her awesome ninja husband trying to murder Scott... Whatever.

Also I hate how horrible Ramona's hair looks. All of them suck, especially the blue.

This trailer actually makes me want a No More Heroes film from Edgar Wright over this to be honest.

+1 on the Prodigy song though, it fit.

I love Edgar Wright, but I don't think I'll be able to enjoy this film. The visual style is awesome, but God I hate the characters. And the cutesy-hipster 'it's cool to be a nerd' references.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Son of Godzilla said:
Am I missing something? Why does the girl that is presumably knives look like she's 30?

Edit: Err, according to IMDB they have someone cast as Mama Chau, so I guess that might be her fighting Ramona? Instead of her awesome ninja husband trying to murder Scott... Whatever..
That's clearly Knives and Ramona fighting, and do you seriously think she looks 30?

Son of Godzilla said:

Edit: Err, according to IMDB they have someone cast as Mama Chau, so I guess that might be her fighting Ramona? Instead of her awesome ninja husband trying to murder Scott... Whatever.
She looks pretty young here but yeah she looks old in the trailer

Ri'Orius

XiaNaphryz said:
That's clearly Knives and Ramona fighting, and do you seriously think she looks 30?

Not 30, but I'll agree she doesn't really look seventeen.

I mean, check her out at 0:50. Really? That's supposed to be a nubile Asian highschooler?

I feel like she looked fine in some of the pictures, so maybe it's just when she's wigging out that she looks off...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's funny how Invaders Must Die sounds incredibly dark and ominous as a stand alone song, yet it's all vibrant and full of energy in the trailer.

DominoKid

It looks like its going to be awesome for people who are into this sort of thing (me) but its going to bomb hard financially.

I really fucking hate when people use "graphic novels" instead of "comics". You're literally, syllabically, going out of your way to avoid the fucking word.

Replicant

This would have been awesome if they hadn't cast Cera....

I mean, shouldn't I want to root for him? Instead I went "UNF UNF, Chris Evans".......

I think I'd just read the comics.

wwm0nkey

JPBrowncoat said:
Looks great. Ordered all the books and preordered the 6th. Is the 6th part of the movie or is the series ongoing?
The movie follows the comics up until the 3rd then there will be story differences but some instances will still be the same in both. Also the ending for the 2 are completely different, but they are still using source material from Vol 6 in it.

The trailer looks awesome but I felt like I was watching Juno, Superbad, Paper Hearts and Nick and Nora/Playlists all over again.

The kid just plays little boys who wants this one girl.

DominoKid

also, MEW looks terrible in this movie. i was wondering wtf yall were fangasming over until i saw her in some other stuff.

Salsa

DominoKid said:
also, MEW looks terrible in this movie. i was wondering wtf yall were fangasming over until i saw her in some other stuff.

309lweu.jpg

wat?

One might argue that the hair looks weird, but ive never thought ramona was one of the hottest girls out there to begin with. Perfect casting.

harSon

Banned
SalsaShark said:
wat?

One might argue that the hair looks weird, but ive never thought ramona was one of the hottest girls out there to begin with. Perfect casting.

In reference to the Megan Fox replacement thread, I don't see how someone could honestly prefer a girl with no meat on her bones.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
New trailer rocks, I am about half way through the first book and saw a lot of what I just read. Now trying to hype my friends for it.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I really fucking hate when people use "graphic novels" instead of "comics". You're literally, syllabically, going out of your way to avoid the fucking word.
But there is a slight distinction between the two. I'd call manga volumes graphic novels and not comics.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
But there is a slight distinction between the two. I'd call manga volumes graphic novels and not comics.

Got panels with balloons that, when strung together, tell a story?

Bad news, pal. You're readin' comics.

;D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Jet Grind Radio! said:

Technically I don't think there is any distinction. Manga is just japanese comics. I always thought that graphic novel just came into popular usage to indicate that the particular comic in question is more substantive than something like Marmaduke. But yeah...they're all just comics. Graphic novel just sounds classier sometimes. :lol

Salsa

Grizzlyjin said:
Technically I don't think there is any distinction. Manga is just japanese comics. I always thought that graphic novel just came into popular usage to indicate that the particular comic in question is more substantive than something like Marmaduke. But yeah...they're all just comics. Graphic novel just sounds classier sometimes. :lol

I pretty much say graphic novel when im talking about a lenghty (probably yearly) comic with a hardcover, or some kind of difference on the printing/quality of a regular comic.

But yeah, they`re basically the same.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Got panels with balloons that, when strung together, tell a story?

Bad news, pal. You're readin' comics.

;D
Well, graphic novels tend to be more of a collected form. Or at least have a few chapters.

My point was that I don't think people are going out of their way, exactly, saying graphic novels over comics.

selig

Banned
question of someone who doesnt know the scott pilgrim-comics:
Does Scott have super powers from the beginning? Because in the trailer, at first it looks as if he´s a normal boy...but then this first ex-boyfriend appears and he fights like a super hero. Im confused.

DominoKid

SalsaShark said:
[*mew pic*
wat?

i mean, you cant really ugly up a chick's body so she's good there. but i doubt she's gonna be almost naked for more than one scene.

the way they made her look in this movie doesnt do her any favors. maybe thats what they were going for but i didnt take it for that

selig said:
question of someone who doesnt know the scott pilgrim-comics:
Does Scott have super powers from the beginning? Because in the trailer, at first it looks as if he´s a normal boy...but then this first ex-boyfriend appears and he fights like a super hero. Im confused.
Not really. It's basically a "normal" world with hints of video game stuff, like outlandish attacks, 1Ups and save spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom