• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
For all of you guys that seem to be having problems with the trailer in MP4 format. I think I've found a way. It's gonna take a few minutes though.

Google

After the amount of amazing casting decisions Wright has made in his previous movies, I'm going to standby Cera in this.

While it must be pretty fucking difficult to emulate a comic book character created by a guy from Toronto, Cera seems to have just the right mix of confidence and retardation that I would expect.

Google said:
After the amount of amazing casting decisions Wright has made in his previous movies, I'm going to standby Cera in this.

While it must be pretty fucking difficult to emulate a comic book character created by a guy from Toronto, Cera seems to have just the right mix of confidence and retardation that I would expect.

The scene of him sitting outside the door waiting for Ramona feels 100% Scott Pilgrim.

Yeah I mean most of it is pulled right out of the book, but Cera doesn't feel out of place or anything. Lots of people hating on the casting just because they don't like Michael Cera. Hopefully most people will still give it a chance.

Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah I mean most of it is pulled right out of the book, but Cera doesn't feel out of place or anything. Lots of people hating on the casting just because they don't like Michael Cera. Hopefully most people will still give it a chance.

I'm sure people who complain about it are going to see it anyway, their fandom won't allow them to miss it

Veidt

Veidt said:
For all of you guys that seem to be having problems with the trailer in MP4 format. I think I've found a way. It's gonna take a few minutes though.
Nope. Plan failed.
What's up with apple trying to stop people from watching this?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
heh the lady from mystery team is in there. Damn she's popping up all over the damn place these days.

Miyahon

Veidt said:
Nope. Plan failed.
What's up with apple trying to stop people from watching this?

The link I posted earlier seems to be working now.

I used Quicktime 7 to make the MP4 file. Tested it earlier on my PS3.

The audio problems are probably because it's using the 5.1 AAC format.

I don't think that works on the PS3 so I had to convert it to stereo.

LINK

Kusagari said:
I don't get the hate for Cera in this. He's honestly as close to Scott Pilgrim in real life as you're going to get.

Yeah, the more you see him, the more you realize how absolutely fantastic he is.

:lol at people who thought Bryan Lee O'Malley of all people could be wrong in his assessment.

Veidt

BenjaminBirdie said:
Huh? It's on at least two websites I know of. How are they stopping people?
I meant, the links ( people would like to be able to download it without Quicktime pro) and even then there's issues with the audio after some people have tried to convert it. Only speaking for us here at GAF though, I'm sure someone else has found a way to make the MP4 1080p version available for dl.

But that doesn't matter anymore as Miyahno's link seems to be working!

harSon

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, the more you see him, the more you realize how absolutely fantastic he is.

:lol at people who thought Bryan Lee O'Malley of all people could be wrong in his assessment.

Sweet Jesus

Costanza

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

This.

harSon

Banned
Kusagari said:
I don't get the hate for Cera in this. He's honestly as close to Scott Pilgrim in real life as you're going to get.

That's the problem, you don't cast a role based on the actor's real life personality, you cast someone based on their ability to bring the actual character to life.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Alright black out time, I liked the first trailer much better than the new one and that means time to not see anything else until the films release.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
New trailer is win. It seems so long till it comes out but that day will be awesome. Watching the trailer makes me want the 6th book too.

Altazor

hype levels through the roof.

also, I believe in Michael Cera. He's not one of my favourite actors but judging from those 2 trailers, he can make it, imho. And, fuck, even Bryan Lee O'Malley has said he's really good in it, so haters gonna hate.

And... <3 <3 Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

harSon said:
That's the problem, you don't cast a role based on the actor's real life personality, you cast someone based on their ability to bring the actual character to life.

WHich he's doing. I've read SP backwards and forwards like five times now. He's spot on.

harSon

Banned
Altazor said:
hype levels through the roof.

also, I believe in Michael Cera. He's not one of my favourite actors but judging from those 2 trailers, he can make it, imho. And, fuck, even Bryan Lee O'Malley has said he's really good in it, so haters gonna hate.

And... <3 <3 Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Why would Bryan Lee O'Malley bad mouth his own brainchild before its released? Even if he did disagree with certain aspects of the adaptation, considering the fact that he's likely receiving a percentage of the revenue, it'd be pretty dumb to give potential customers a reason to not see the film. It's not like all comic book creators are Alan Moore.

harSon said:
Why would Bryan Lee O'Malley bad mouth his own brainchild before its released? Even if he did disagree with certain aspects of the adaptation, considering the fact that he's likely receiving a percentage of the revenue, it'd be pretty dumb to give potential customers a reason to not see the film. It's not like all comic book creators are Alan Moore.

This is all moot anyway, since Cera is really accurate in his performance. Whether you like his stuff or not is up to you, but he is not a bad Scott Pilgrim. He might be an actor who annoys you, fair enough. But he is Scott Pilgrim in this trailer, front to back.

noisome07

Banned
agreed

sometimes its best to not say anything

miley.png

harSon

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
WHich he's doing. I've read SP backwards and forwards like five times now. He's spot on.

As have I, and outside of the pre-Ramona Scott Pilgrim where he's relatively reserved and awkward, Cera fails bring the character's sheer passion and outright awesomeness to life in an adequate way. Scott Pilgrim pre-Ramona and Scott Pilgrim post-Ramona are pretty goddamn'd different, and from what I've seen in the trailer, Cera's portrayal of the character is the same from beginning to end. I honestly don't understand under what parameters could you consider Cera a 100% authentic Scott Pilgrim, I'm simply not seeing it. That doesn't mean that his role or the film itself will be bad, it simply means that he failed to bring the character, as it stands in the graphic novel, to life.

I'll just leave it at that, this is simply my opinion of the casting. I'm still hyped for the movie and don't want the thread to devolve into such frivolous debate.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ohh this is like those gaming threads where everyone has opinions on games that haven't come out yet

jon bones said:
ohh this is like those gaming threads where everyone has opinions on games that haven't come out yet

Or one of those game threads where a new trailer's released and everyone comments on the trailer they just watched? Is looking fucking rad. (albeit some people gave a warped perception of what they've just seen...)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
jon bones said:
At least you've seen an early cut of the film. :(

Not that early impressions of the film are doing anything to stem the anti-Cera tide.

Blader

I don't know how anyone has read the books could think Cera is spot-on.

He may very well be good in the role, but he in no way sounds or acts like Scott Pilgrim (unless Cera is *completely* different in this movie than from all his other performances).

Blader5489 said:

He may very well be good in the role, but he in no way sounds or acts like Scott Pilgrim (unless Cera is *completely* different in this movie than from all his other performances).
you know how a previously unvoiced character sounds?

Pirabear

Banned
Awesome trailer. Bought/read the first three books a few months back and loved it. Will probably buy 4-6 together when the last volume releases.

Blader5489 said:

Please send me some of these voice-enabled future comics from where you come from. :O

Danielsan

Awesome trailer is awesome.
Still uncertain about Cera but I got a few glimmers of hope from the trailer.
Hoping it's just cut to draw in the Cera audience.

This movie will bomb like a mother by the way.
This trailer is fucking awesome for those of us who've read the comics, but people who haven't will have no fucking clue what the fuck is going on and will probably shy away from it.

derFeef

Danielsan said:
Awesome trailer is awesome.
Still uncertain about Cera but I got a few glimmers of hope from the trailer.
Hoping it's just cut to draw in the Cera audience.

This trailer is fucking awesome for those of us who've read the comics, but people who haven't will have no fucking clue what the fuck is going on and will probably shy away from it.
I have not read the comics, saw this trailer and ordered the (5) comics. Going to see this.

Salsa

Danielsan said:

Dont know about that, Cera is a draw, Wright is a draw, and to people who havent read the book it may look like a cool action flick with lots of fx. I dont think it will be a blown-out success neither, but BOMB is a strong word, its gonna be ok.

Danielsan

derFeef said:
I have not read the comics, saw this trailer and ordered the (5) comics. Going to see this.
Good man.
The comics are downright brilliant. :D

SalsaShark said:
Dont know about that, Cera is a draw, Wright is a draw, and to people who havent read the book it may look like a cool action flick with lots of fx. I dont think it will be a blown-out success neither, but BOMB is a strong word, its gonna be ok.
I think Cera lost a lot of his box office draw. I also think that the comic book effects might put a lot of people off. Perhaps bomb is a strong word, but I'm just afraid that it won't find a large audience.

daegan

Also it's only 50 days until vol 6 is out!

Also also Brian Lee O'Malley teased a different preview during a tv show next week on the SP ning.com forum. When pressed about what show he said "maybe something that teens/girls like since nerds/boys already like Scott Pilgrim"

Maybe glee?

Google

Danielsan said:
I think Cera lost a lot of his box office draw.

Why?

Kids want to see films with Cera in, because he made Juno and Superbad.

Not because he starred in Arrested Development when he was 15.

Blader

_dementia said:
you know how a previously unvoiced character sounds?

Pai Pai Master said:
Please send me some of these voice-enabled future comics from where you come from. :O

smh

Cera's voice is too soft for a character who speaks in exclamation points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom